35 new here, ex-beast and a vet. Taking my body back

Jnj83782

Awards
Hi everyone, I just joined and I’m about to embark on a long overdue journey. I’m an Army vet who left the service in 2011 at 6’3”, 225 with around 14%bf. I was an animal. Well years of crane operating on my a$$ and lack of motivation have led to me ending up at around 325lbs and God only knows BMI. I’m grateful to my wife who is still as hot and in shape as she was when we met for her telling me today that she can’t believe I let myself go like this. She loves me dearly and said she didn’t say anything for the longest to spare my feelings. I am hoping somebody can put me on the right track/plan for a combined strength gain and weight loss program. I know what worked then and I’m starting with it, but I would love suggestions. Diet plans are extremely welcomed as well. Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you. Pictures for zero day coming very soon. Tomorrow I hit the ground with this. Sorry for the book.

Reactions: dds
DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hi everyone, I just joined and I’m about to embark on a long overdue journey. I’m an Army vet who left the service in 2011 at 6’3”, 225 with around 14%bf. I was an animal. Well years of crane operating on my a$$ and lack of motivation have led to me ending up at around 325lbs and God only knows BMI. I’m grateful to my wife who is still as hot and in shape as she was when we met for her telling me today that she can’t believe I let myself go like this. She loves me dearly and said she didn’t say anything for the longest to spare my feelings. I am hoping somebody can put me on the right track/plan for a combined strength gain and weight loss program. I know what worked then and I’m starting with it, but I would love suggestions. Diet plans are extremely welcomed as well. Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you. Pictures for zero day coming very soon. Tomorrow I hit the ground with this. Sorry for the book.[/QUOTE BEAST73 can help you with a workout plan. What you do in the Army, I medically retired in 2009. 11B

Jnj83782

Awards
Hi beast and thank you. I was an 88H cargo guy and truck ops. Ran convoy security ops in Iraq pulling gun truck duties for civilian convoys my last 2 deployments. Also, here is the ****uation I’ve created
988713B0-0B54-42FC-B8DF-F8F8FBF61B09.jpeg

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hi beast and thank you. I was an 88H cargo guy and truck ops. Ran convoy security ops in Iraq pulling gun truck duties for civilian convoys my last 2 deployments. Also, here is the ****uation I’ve created View attachment 177992
Well I'm not the beast, and that was a rough job in Iraq to do. Thats a pretty bad situation to be in. I would start with a good diet. Lots of meat, green veggies, and low carbs. Something like 50P/30F/20C diet. Make sure fats are healthy. And right now you could stick to bodyweight lifts. Think PT. Monday Stretching/Pushups/Situps/2 mile run, Tuesday Stretching/Pushups/Situps/2 mile run, Wednesday Stretching/Pushups/Situps/3 Mile Run, Thursday 15 mile Road March 75-100# ruck, Friday Stretching/5mile run. Figure out what your TDEE is and start with a 100 calorie deficit, and if your not losing, go to 200 deficit, still not dropping do it again, until you get to where you are dropping weight.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The right Diet is going to play a major role here... What do your weekly exercising look like?

Jnj83782

Awards
It was a dangerous ass job you are correct. 101st here btw screaming eagle til i die. Anyhow, I still have strength, but I’m concerned with the running at my weight injuring my knees. I have sensitive knees already from running almost 6 miles daily at campbell being a big guy at 225 back then when I was IN shape. I could run my 2 mile in the APFT around 13:50 every time. I’m not a noob with the training, and body weight resistance ain’t what I’m out for. That being said, diet recommendations for a combined strength training and fat loss goal are surely welcome as well.

Jnj83782

Awards
Well beast, I start tomorrow and want a good routine for strength training and weight loss

Last edited:

Jnj83782

Awards
There’s no way in Hell I could do a 15 mi tuck right now much less a 2mi run.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Calorie Deficit,Exercise 5 times a week, and include some form of LISS cardio. If I was you... I wouldn’t focus on the strength part,because it will come naturally down the road. The most important thing here is becoming healthy and the proper diet and exercising regimen that you can live with and execute your goals.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It was a dangerous ass job you are correct. 101st here btw screaming eagle til i die. Anyhow, I still have strength, but I’m concerned with the running at my weight injuring my knees. I have sensitive knees already from running almost 6 miles daily at campbell being a big guy at 225 back then when I was IN shape. I could run my 2 mile in the APFT around 13:50 every time. I’m not a noob with the training, and body weight resistance ain’t what I’m out for. That being said, diet recommendations for a combined strength training and fat loss goal are surely welcome as well.
I was 1st Cav, 2nd Cav, 2ID, and 7th Army. I did 3 Combat tours, 2 in Iraq, and 1 in Afghanistan. And you can use an Elliptical if your knees hurt that bad. I have no Cartiledge in either of my knees. I am trying to give you the best options with your current state. After breaking my neck and back in Iraq, and losing half my face in Afghanistan and being on a cane from 2009 to 2013, and getting up to 212#'s at 5'9. I know what works to get you back to where you wanna be. I'm supposed to be in a wheelchair right now, instead I'm lifting weights, and doing things no one ever thought I do again. Another guy that retired with me, with the same diagnoses died last year. But, if you know so much, maybe your just trolling and if you know everything right now, maybe you don't need my help. So good luck buddy. I'm out.

Jnj83782

Awards
Glad you made it out alive after all that. If you’re telling the truth then God bless you, brother. I only took one round and it was a ricochet to my hand

Jnj83782

Awards
I planned on elliptical and cycle to start cardio til my weight got down some

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You need to incorporate weight training as well.

Jnj83782

Awards
You’re telling someone that weighs 100lbs more than his ETS weight to run 2 or 3 miles, then recommend a 15mile ruckmarch!? How does that make sense to you whatsoever especially with the ruckload you mentioned?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Glad you made it out alive after all that. If you’re telling the truth then God bless you, brother. I only took one round and it was a ricochet to my hand
Check out my logs. I got it all there I was in Iraq from Dec 2003-May 2005, went back May 2007-Aug 2008 and then Afghanistan from Aug 2009-Oct 2009. I only tell the truth. I have been blown up 49 times by IED's, shot twice, and stabbed once in the battle of An Najaf.
I'm only trying to help. The only thing you need to concentrate on right now is diet and light exercise. I know you cant run 2 miles, and I know you cant ruck 15 miles. These are things you need to work up to. How about walking 2 miles, and work up to a jog, and then a run. We didnt start in the best shape of our lives in the Army. We worked up to it. So use the Army Values, and push your GD self.

Jnj83782

Awards
I’m gonna drop this right here...as a man that went thru the Q course and pipeline for special forces, there’s no way a man at my state can do that kind of ruck March, and if you were serious you’d know that

Jnj83782

Awards
I was a non select, but guess what, I can go back!!

Jnj83782

Awards
This knob said to ruckmarch 15mi with 75-100 lbs of gear... go **** your sister if u think I believe you were real army saying that

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’m gonna drop this right here...as a man that went thru the Q course and pipeline for special forces, there’s no way a man at my state can do that kind of ruck March, and if you were serious you’d know that
I know you cant right now. You couldnt when you started the Army either. You need to work up to it. And if you really went through Q Course. Then you would know that. I went through Sniper school, I was the best at what I did. You could also try some Radiate, and I could send you a sample if you like before you buy any of it. Because you are a brother, is the only reason I'm still responding.

Jnj83782

Awards
I didn’t finish q damn it I was a non select but able to return

Jnj83782

Awards
Too many people on any social crap are fake valor and it pisses me off to no end

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Too many people on any social crap are fake valor and it pisses me off to no end
Yeah I aint no fake valor. You wanna see my spaghetti. I'll send you a pic. And like I said you can check my thread.

Jnj83782

Awards
I dropped a lot of blood and sweat at camp mackall

Jnj83782

Awards
The damn truck axles in the sand!? CrossFit needs that **** lmao

Jnj83782

Awards
and Also, I don’t know how far we rucked there, they’d just tell u go til somebody stopped you

Jnj83782

Awards
I did 12s at ft Campbell quarterly for 9 years and we did quite a few that took me well over my pace count for a 12mi haul

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I dropped a lot of blood and sweat at camp mackall
Yeah. I dropped alot of blood, sweat, and tears in Baghdad, Kahdmiyah, Rasheed, An Najaf, Babel, Fallujah(both Major Battles), Ahdmiyah, Mortaritaville, and Mizan District

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi beast and thank you. I was an 88H cargo guy and truck ops. Ran convoy security ops in Iraq pulling gun truck duties for civilian convoys my last 2 deployments. Also, here is the ****uation I’ve created View attachment 177992
Well, this ****uation calls for all out war. You'll need dedication and discipline.
It can be done, just don't expect it to be a sprint -its a marathon. Good luck!

Jnj83782

Awards
Good for you one up guy..thanks for the help I was asking for

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Calorie Deficit,Exercise 5 times a week, and include some form of LISS cardio. If I was you... I wouldn’t focus on the strength part,because it will come naturally down the road. The most important thing here is becoming healthy and the proper diet and exercising regimen that you can live with and execute your goals.
THIS ^^^^^ !!!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good for you one up guy..thanks for the help I was asking for
I gave you advise, and I'm currently checking on your status with the 101st cause I had friends there. So I'm checking on 88H units there. Mainly, cause I have NEVER heard of a POG getting accepted to Q. Only Combat Arms, and Medics do. And mainly for you calling FAKE Valor. I can prove my background....

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many ways lead to Rome.

Personally, I would hit the iron with high volume, moderate weights and strict form. As BEAST73 said, LISS cardio daily and a NOT too pronounced deficit in calories. You don't wanna yo-yo up again, right? Clean food whenever possible, skip all deep fried stuff, sweets and sugary soda. If you are a beer guy, skip it and save it for the weekend. Meat , fats and veggies are your friends. Carbs is your mother in law. Avoid it, unless it comes in beans, lentils or oats.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By the way, I looked like you 3 years ago. Just stay true to yourself, admit cheats and try to feel bad when cheating (because you should) -once this mentality takes hold, you WILL make it!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You really need to get your eating habits under control. Being sedentary, over eating and little to no exercise will have you in that condition in no time.

You should incorporate SOME form of cardio and moderate lifting until you become accustomed to the soreness and dieting. You’ve got a long road ahead of you...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One thing, regarding jogging -or marches.
I have two bad knees too. To get a good cardio in without punishing your knees, I recommend heavy bag. Buy some training gloves and pound that fugger.
The good thing is, this way cardio is over quick, because after 3x1 minute nonstop bag pounding, you'll be done. Afterwards some slow pace walking on a treadmill.

I don't know, do you expect a full workout plan who promises you a quick magical weight loss with optimal muscle gains? If so: "meeeeeh" -buzzer sound-
:)
Just move more and eat less. Cycle body parts throughout the week. Do exercises who you think are safe for you -and who "feel right" for you. If squatting is a no-go, do leg presses. If benching feels awkward in shoulders, do DB floor presses, see what I mean? Use machines for the first few month, until you get stronger.

Jnj83782

Awards
Thanks for the help guys. I know this isn’t a quick fix, for sure!

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was in your position in 2015, 300 lbs. It takes time. You have many great suggestions here. Ive gotten down to as low as 190, but maintain now between 200-205. It took me 3 years also. I'm an operating engineer by day also my friend. It can be done. Start moving and tracking your macros is a great start, get a good month under belt and you will progress bye the day. Good luck

Jnj83782

Awards
Just so all of ya know I buried the hatchet with cowboy, and to rest of you that were there, sorry i was being kind of an ass. I started today after work. Here we go!! Got some salmon and whole green beans I’m about to make for dinner. I’m looking All forward from here.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just so all of ya know I buried the hatchet with cowboy, and to rest of you that were there, sorry i was being kind of an ass. I started today after work. Here we go!! Got some salmon and whole green beans I’m about to make for dinner. I’m looking All forward from here.
Get Some

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please post your workouts. This way you have a personal log and can gauge progress -and we could give some tips.

Jnj83782

Awards
I dmd you what I did yesterday, Tonight I’m trying what you said minus the heavy bag. My gym doesn’t have one and neither do I or I’d definitely check it out. Also my TDEE is around 3800 so it shouldn’t be difficult to get into a deficit at all!

Jnj83782

Awards
On the TDEE note, how much of a deficit before it’s TOO much of a deficit?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the TDEE note, how much of a deficit before it’s TOO much of a deficit?
I would make it a round number. 3000. Sounds good. Even goes well with your username: Jnj83782-3000. :)

Jnj83782

Awards
I think it’s so high because I drank so much beer all the time. So eat 3000 calories a day

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it’s so high because I drank so much beer all the time. So eat 3000 calories a day
Beer only weekends. Believe me, alcohol ruins everything.

Jnj83782

Awards
Oh I believe you bro, it’s a big part of what got me where I am right now.

Jnj83782

Awards
Ok night 2, chest, flat dumbbell press (my favorite chest movement cuz it’ll call out a weak side arm QUICK! haha), and cable flyes, back, seated cable row and standing bent barbell row, shoulders, overhead dumbbell press, and HEAVY one dumbbell skull crushers to get my triceps in on the fun, legs, machine leg press and light squats(this will hurt soon, I hate legs), all of these I did with moderate weight 4 sets of 12 on each. I’m kind of surprised I’ve still got some of the strength I had from my previous state, it’s just buried in crap now. I did weighted crunches with a 25lb plate in my chest, don’t remember number tho, and did a combination of brisk walking and slow jogging on treadmill to end it all for an hour. Tweaks? Suggestions? Tomorrow is day 3 but day 2 from my first workout so I know the suck is about to set in, especially on my legs. I like it though.

Jnj83782

Awards
Also, what are y’alls opinion on infrared saunas? I’ve always liked the sauna but never really asked in a forum like this what people thought of em. I always feel good when I sit in one for bout 15-20min

Jnj83782

Awards
My gym has one and I ended my night with a nice hot sauna