"1.5grams of protein per lb of bodyweight" rule

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
im about 183lbs atm, 6ft, but i recon minus the body fat im about 150lbs... i dont know im guessing im maybe something like 20% bf no clue really

i do the whole, 1.5lbs of protein per pound of bodyweight which for 180lbs is 270grams (i try to get like 240 and im happy), but ive read also before it should be for LEAN mass? so should i count it for 150lbs which is 225 or so grams?

i dont find it a problem to get like 250g on days when i workout coz thats when i take my whey shakes but on the other days i dont take shakes so it sometimes becomes a hassel finding the good food, and thinking about eating canned fish atm does my head in

whats all ur opinons? 1.5g / lb of bodyweight or lean bodyweight? i dont see why someone of the same stats as me (height n muscle) but who was ripped to the bone would have to eat less protein than me, i recon the donuts hanging off me dont have anything to do with the amount of protein ide need? it may aswell be gone it wont change how i lift? etc?

texxlnghorn

Awards
I drink protein shakes daily, even the days i dont workout.

sdcmob

Awards
i would say lean body mass eventhough everywherei read it says according to how much u weigh

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
you shuld be drinking shakes everyday. Your body doesn't grow at the gym it grows from rest, so taking shakes on off days is crucial. When I started lifting I had the same attitude, i would eat smart and rest when i worked out but on my off days I would slack off.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
yeah protein powder is a tad expensive i take 3 shakes on days i workout im thinking of taking 1 shake on my rest days when i wake up?

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
It's lean body mass.

And I'm a firm believer that the only thing that should change on your day off is the fact that you don't go to the gym.

And if the financial burdon of purchasing protien is weighing heavily on your mind (and wallet), consider that most of your protien intake should really come from whole foods...shakes are a wonderful supplement, but they are exactly that...meant to supplement your whole food intake.

jlowsho

Awards
Well I think some research being done has shown that cycling protein as well as carbs and cals can be beneficial. So keep that in mind

Also, whey protein goes through your body FAST. I think it spikes nitrogen balance for 30 minutes.... so Shakes are good before and after workouts, but a sold animal protein will go a lot farther in terms of calories that stay with you on your off days.

Fish isn't the only lean meat. Remember that. 93% lean beef if you can afford the fat, chicken breast (or tenders), and ground turkey are all options here.

If your not willing to pack food and take it with you, maybe you should re-evaluate how you think your going to achieve your goals.

Packing food makes thing 10xs easier and you never have to worry about being hugry and tempted. Your will is a lot stronger when youhave food in your stomach.

good luck bro

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
I think you should go with actual weight instead of lean body mass... I'm 5'11 about 195, 12% bodyfat.. and I try to take in about 300g of protein daily.. I do suplement with three, 350 cal / 42g protein shakes in order to get what I need.. but yes.. whey is fast acting and you definatly need other protein.. like lean chicken breast, lean 93% ground chuck.. lean steak, tuna, salmon.. lean smoked turkey breast.. in order to properly feed your muscles..

I know some people are concerned over taking too much protein but there is no scientific studies that show protein damages, kidneys or liver or anything else for that matter.. so I think you're fine taking in the 1.5 g per total body weight.. you could probably take more if the wallet allows. :)

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Well I think some research being done has shown that cycling protein as well as carbs and cals can be beneficial. So keep that in mind

Also, whey protein goes through your body FAST. I think it spikes nitrogen balance for 30 minutes.... so Shakes are good before and after workouts, but a sold animal protein will go a lot farther in terms of calories that stay with you on your off days.

Fish isn't the only lean meat. Remember that. 93% lean beef if you can afford the fat, chicken breast (or tenders), and ground turkey are all options here.

If your not willing to pack food and take it with you, maybe you should re-evaluate how you think your going to achieve your goals.

Packing food makes thing 10xs easier and you never have to worry about being hugry and tempted. Your will is a lot stronger when youhave food in your stomach.

good luck bro
i'm not lazy when it comes to training but cycling carbs and protien... what a pain in the ass. Whey protien does have a very high biological value.. there are different types but thats up to you to look at. But a good way to get an easy protein packed meal is just add 2-3 eggs to your scoop of isolate or whatever you use. But adding eggs to an isolate is great because right there you have a protein matrix of fast acting(the whey isolate) and a slow acting protein( the eggs). Add some oats to that and you're i business. I use strawberry flavor powder and i completely masks the eggs and oats taste.

jlowsho

Awards
i'm not lazy when it comes to training but cycling carbs and protien... what a pain in the ass. Whey protien does have a very high biological value.. there are different types but thats up to you to look at. But a good way to get an easy protein packed meal is just add 2-3 eggs to your scoop of isolate or whatever you use. But adding eggs to an isolate is great because right there you have a protein matrix of fast acting(the whey isolate) and a slow acting protein( the eggs). Add some oats to that and you're i business. I use strawberry flavor powder and i completely masks the eggs and oats taste.
First off your signature is HILARIOUS dude.

Secondly, since when is egg albumen (whites) slow digesting? Seeing as this is a main ingredient in most whey protein shakes I wouldn't go assuming it digests very slowly. If your adding the yokes in - yes. But the same digestion could be obtained by adding in the oats you mention without the added fat and colestoral.

BUT we're talking protein here. Not carbs. Yes they make different KINDS of protein and mixes, but not different types of WHEY protein - thats a type of proein or ingredient in a mix - derrived from milk.

WPI are easily the most expensive of their kind, and the fastest digesting. IF you you can't get animal protein in (which eggs whites would be the fastest digesting of their kind) a protein mix of casein, soy, whey, albumen would be ideal mixed with some oats would be better than straight WPI along, but then your buying two different kinds of protein. Both very expensive. Both not as good as animal protein expensive before/during/after workouts.

BUT what I was saying eariler is - a 4 oz. piece of lean steak and some mixed vegetables would 100x's more beneficial even for cutting. Unless of coarse your walking in the gym in 30 minutes or you just walked OUT of the gym.

I think people rely on shakes WAY too much. They are a SUPPLEMENTS used to fill in holes in your DIET. If you can adjust your DIET so the only holes you have are around your workout - your body is gonna react accordingly.

Poor diet = supplementation = not ideal diet

good diet = little supplementation = ideal way to eat for gains

Even MRPs are lacking complete protein strands that are found in animal tissue AND are ridiculously expensive. You already pay what.... 5+ bucks a pound for WPI... You can get chicken, turkey, beef, ALL under that price and it's SO much beneficial and efficient. Not to mention if your gonna do shakes - buying that second kind of protein mix that digests slower.

These are SUPPLEMENTS here guys. They are called that for a reason.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Walmart supercenters carry 96% lean ground beef as well.

Also left out here so far are vegetable sources. Most of the beans (I think white navy beans and certain lima beans had highest protein) as well as portabello mushrooms have plenty. The plus as well with the beans is you get a mix of carbs with it, and fiber. But if you eat a big plate of white navy beans and 3 hard boiled eggs, make sure you are going to be somewhere with good ventilation :D :gas:

Theres a brand of portabello mushroom patties that are 25g protein, shaped AND TASTE like a burger. Not the crappy boca burgers, these are the in vegetable section, usually with organic stuff. They are really good, good enough to fool my dogs. Its from Franklin Farms, the Heartsmart Veggiburger, but the portabello one specifically. The regular one isnt' as good, and has more soy. Not that soy is all bad to take in, but there is evidence that it can raise estrogen levels taken in enough quantity.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
yeah as mentioned 1 can (roughly 400g) of baked beans in tomato sauce has around 25g of protein. Very cheap too.

When I was talking about different types of whey I was reffering to for example whey protein isolate vs. whey protein concentrate. They both are whey but have much different biological values. Concentrate contains more lactose so for ppl lactose-intolerant, isolate is the way to go. There are also numerous processing methods. Hydrolized, ion exchange and CFM whey. Ion exchange whey has less biological value because some of the amino acids are damaged during processing.

And about the eggs being slow digesting, I use whole eggs... yolk and all. I use those Omega 3 eggs which are more healthly. I still use egg whites sometimes though.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Walmart supercenters carry 96% lean ground beef as well.

Also left out here so far are vegetable sources. Most of the beans (I think white navy beans and certain lima beans had highest protein) as well as portabello mushrooms have plenty. The plus as well with the beans is you get a mix of carbs with it, and fiber. But if you eat a big plate of white navy beans and 3 hard boiled eggs, make sure you are going to be somewhere with good ventilation :D :gas:

Theres a brand of portabello mushroom patties that are 25g protein, shaped AND TASTE like a burger. Not the crappy boca burgers, these are the in vegetable section, usually with organic stuff. They are really good, good enough to fool my dogs. Its from Franklin Farms, the Heartsmart Veggiburger, but the portabello one specifically. The regular one isnt' as good, and has more soy. Not that soy is all bad to take in, but there is evidence that it can raise estrogen levels taken in enough quantity.
90% meat is fine, that extra more percent to me kills a lot of taste. We are doing this whole thing to enjoy life right???

jlowsho

Awards
I don't know about you, but I eat to love. Not live to eat. I cook my 93 on the George Forman. I actually prefer it that way. Eating high fat beef gives me the mud butt in a hurry!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
90% meat is fine, that extra more percent to me kills a lot of taste. We are doing this whole thing to enjoy life right???
Yeah, it doesn't make great burgers, but it actually works nice for tacos or burritos, that sort of thing, or just to do crumbles for on top of a salad.

Remember too i've been on a 7 month cut now :p not much longer thank god