Best supplement for a Newbie??

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
I have been weight lifting every now and then ever since I was a freshman in highschool (I am 22 now). I was wondering which supplement would you rate high for a beginner in using them? Im looking to get more muscle and lose at least 4% bodyfat in a decent amount of time. Im 5'8 193 lbs. I would also like to know about cycles for some of the products.

thank you all

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the best supp for a newbie is eating, lifting, eating some more, resting then repat.

the only thing I would ever recommend for a newbie is get their diet straight, add aditional protein and possibly a good multi

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
Yeah I know.. I been doing that for years and im at a decent size.. I just want something to get me over the slump im in right now... any suggestions?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
stick to the basic protein, glutamine, BCAA and other amino acids that will save you lots of money if you buy them in bulk like they sell at NP and if you research those supps they all contain those basic ingredients.

KRNMuscle

KRNMuscle

Awards
Pick up a tub of whey, fish oil, multivitamin, xtend's BCAA or whatever bcaa you want, creatine monohydrate, citrulline malate and Athletic Edge Nutrition's Intraxcell beta alanine.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
I been doing that for years and im at a decent size.. I just want something to get me over the slump im in right now... any suggestions?
post your diet and routine.

the responses you've gotten so far are right on the money.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes they're right if your 22 and in a slump then I guarantee that sups are not the ultimate answer, there is sonmething wrong with either your diet or your routine. If you do have to start using supps the basics are the way to go.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Hmm let me see..
1. Eat more
2. Work harder
3. More rest
4. Repeat 1
5. Repeat 2
6. Repeat 3

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
not necessarily eat more, but put good things into your body. Try to go with the whole grain foods and stay away from sugars and processed foods. Supplement wise just go with a creatine (neovar, Green mag, Ragnarok), Whey and/or casein protein, BCAA/EAA (purple wrath, intrabolic). With a decent workout such as Bill starr 5x5 intermediate level, or German Volume training you should be well on your way to success

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
if you have hit a slump try to add creatine, i like sizeon but if money is an issue mono is proven to work. also slumps tend to majority of the time be a diet issue, maybe adjustments there will help you reach your goals.

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
Thanks everyone for your input... Ill try creatine and get into a more stricter diet.. So my next question is " is creatine enough?' or is just a start?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
creatine can be enough or can be just a start. it all depends on your progress and devotion. for some people creatine continues to give decent results, for some effects start to fade. as for now i believe in your situation creatine along with a reevaluated diet and workout will be enough

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Alof of the more popular supps you see people using and talking about I think are for once you have really come close to your limits. Most people take them well before to help them reach their limits faster, but it isnt really needed. like all the :goodpost:'s above said about the basics.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok I will do a little experiment, I have my son with me now who has not done any exercise for over a year. He will turn 20 in August and I will train him using good diet and protein powder alone. He is weighing around 240 right now and I would estimate 25% body fat. Our goal is to keep him around the same weight and bring down the body fat to a reasonable level. We will also be attempting to get his strength back to where it was when he was squatting close to 600 lbs. I'll start a log somewhere monitoring his progress. We'll do before and after pics as well. If he consents that is.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
not necessarily eat more, but put good things into your body. Try to go with the whole grain foods and stay away from sugars and processed foods. Supplement wise just go with a creatine (neovar, Green mag, Ragnarok), Whey and/or casein protein, BCAA/EAA (purple wrath, intrabolic). With a decent workout such as Bill starr 5x5 intermediate level, or German Volume training you should be well on your way to success
Good Recommendations from a swole dude

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
Thanks everyone for your input... Ill try creatine and get into a more stricter diet.. So my next question is " is creatine enough?' or is just a start?
tony, post your diet. creatine will not help you in producing results if your diet is not aligned with your goals.. all you really need is a complete multivitamin, whey protein and fish oil at best for the moment. that alone, when implemented correctly, that ALONE can produce great results. focus on your diet first before adding any sort of performance enhancement supps. Your performance will be hindered regardless of what you're taking if your nutrition is out of wack so again: post your diet. what does tony's typical food day look like?

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
This is a sample of one of my eating days;

Meal 1 (breakfast) - Oatmeal, eggwhites, grapefruit
Meal 2 - Bananna, yogurt, Turkey bacon, (maybe another type of fruit)
Meal 3 (snack)- Almonds, string cheese
Meal 4 (lunch)- Salad (usually have three different veggies on top, olive oil, grilled chicken, oranges, black beans
Meal 5 - mostly any kind of fruit I can find and vegtable juice.
Meal 6 (dinner)-Grilled chicken, green beans, rice,
cottage cheese

* I mostly eat grilled chicken now becuase its summer and I love grilling. I also drink 2/3 a gallon of water a day
*also this is the only way I can eat because of my job and school schedule.

-This is not an everyday eating schedule and this meal plan sometimes changes

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a pretty good plan, I am not crazy about the string cheese and would like to see some protein in meal 5 but it's fairly clean.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
there is no way your getting double you body weight in protein what that...

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
so instead of meal 5, where else do I need to add more protein?... are there any good protein shakes I can get to add protein??

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know.. I been doing that for years and im at a decent size.. I just want something to get me over the slump im in right now... any suggestions?
A slump means you need to change your routine and/or diet. Adopt a completely new training routine before you bother going down the supplement road b/c once you do there's no stopping yourself.

Switch to a completely new routine every 4-6 weeks. Be mindful of your maintenance calories/BMR and adjust your diet based on your goals.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
so instead of meal 5, where else do I need to add more protein?... are there any good protein shakes I can get to add protein??
Incorporate some protein shakes throughout the day, no more than 2 though.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
here are my thoughts for what it's worth:

with regards to meal 5, you could have a banana with peanut butter. you have a good amount of fats and carbs with the added benefit of protein. just an idea but i'm sure there's better alternatives. you could consider pre-cooking meal 5...don't fall back on protein shakes as a second option. shakes should be a last resort other than for pwo. you could also substitute the salad for some brown rice or sweet potatoes in meal 4. good nutrition comes from good planning (and know-how). if you have to resort to pre-cooking a meal or two then so be it. protein supplements will get you by but they are not an equal substitute for whole food. i would also consider adding some more calories into your snacks.

if you need some help meeting your protein requirements, here's a recipe i came across for homemade protein bars.

Best Tasting Homemade Protein Bar | MuscleCircuit.com

Nutritional Information for one protein bar
Total Calories: 530
Protein: 45 grams
Carbs: 57 grams
Fat: 14.5 grams

Ingredients
* Whey Protein Powder
* Natural Peanut Butter
* Oats
* Milk

Instructions
1. Get Bowl (see article for size)
2. Add 3.5 cups of whole oats
3. Add 5 scoops Whey Protein Powder
4. Add 4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
5. Add 1 cup milk
6. Mix it all together! It gets a little messy, so don’t be scared to dig in.
7. Important! Spray Pam on a separate plate.
8. Place contents on plate and play with it until it forms a rectangle shape.
9. Cut into 4 equal bars
10. Refrigerate for at least a few hours, and enjoy.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
add protein where ever you want to help get at least 1.5 gram/per LBS of lean musle. I usually take 1-2 scoop whey with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. that is about 40-50 protein grams added per meal. that should help you aton

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
. protein supplements will get you by but they are not an equal substitute for whole food. i would also consider adding some more calories into your snacks.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
Thanks guys for all your help... hopefully I will start to see a difference two months from now...

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
tony i added a protein recipe to my previous post that should help you with protein intake tony.

all the best to you bro.

tonydash85

tonydash85

Awards
I saw that ill make some tonight ... thanks.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
not a problem good fellow. all the best to you.