Best outdoor/mountain/hunting supplement?

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m on my search for the best possible supplement for mountain hunting. In these scenarios were typically spending multiple days hiking in the mountains multiple miles a day, few thousand feet of gain and loss with camp on our backs (usually 40-60lbs), then if successful packs upwards of over 100lbs.

Obviously nutrition is key. But I typically bring multiple different drink mixes for focus/energy/hydration as well as BCAAs.

Ideally this supplement would increase recovery/performance/hydration/energy and potentially have some simple carb like HBCD.

I really like the looks of Nutrabio Legday. But no energy in that. Maybe two separate products? Thoughts?
*Bonus points for coming in single serving packs

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It really too bad you couldn't use Triton. Its hands down a fan favorite for endurance and stamina. Its a topical so you would never use it as a hunter.

At least during hunting season!

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It really too bad you couldn't use Triton. Its hands down a fan favorite for endurance and stamina. Its a topical so you would never use it as a hunter.

At least during hunting season!
Topical adenosine is definitely an interesting looking product. But yeah carrying that around on the mountain would be a no go lol. I work pretty hard and spend a lot of money to keep my base weight under 30lbs as is.

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was debating on adding some Cardarine or the like and/or maybe some Osta to hang on to some mass/aid in recovery.

Im coming off of 4 weeks non weight bearing on my L leg secondary to surgery, so I don’t have much time to prepare for this season. Already experienced some decent atrophy as well.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you eating food and or protein during these movements?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't hunt, but I love to hike and go whitewater rafting and some of the trips I've done combine the two and involves a lot of hiking in the mountains.

There are several different ways that you could go with what you're looking for.

I haven't used Leg Day, it looks fine from an ingredient standpoint. For an EAA, I use Innovapharm's Recover EAA and usually add SNS Citrulline Malate to it. And I sometimes add HBCD to that mix.

For cardiovascular endurance like improved VO2 max and not getting exhausted as quickly, I think that PEAK02 would be a great option. It's the best thing I've ever used for cardiovascular endurance and not getting fatigued. And something really cool about one of the studies on it, is as you may know, a lot of studies are done on untrained individuals but one of the studies on PEAK02 was done at UNC Chapel Hill and it was done on their athletes, so that study translates very well into real world effects for trained individuals.

For muscular endurance, which is something I've always struggled with bc of an autoimmune condition I have, Epi-Plex is the best thing that I've ever used for that. I use it as a year round supplement to help me with muscular endurance and soreness.

As for hydration, that is so individual dependent - some people like more sodium heavy mixes where others like more potassium heavy ones. For people that want sodium heavy ones, Ketogenics makes an electrolyte formula that is a good one. For people that like a higher potassium ratio, there's not one I'm aware of that I'm super impressed by so if that was the goal, I hate to say it but just basic body armor may be a good option, although carrying a sports drink isn't ideal in your scenario probably.

Here is a link to the write up on PEAK02 in case you or anyone else reading is interested:

Oh, and one important thing about PEAK02 - it needs to be taken daily for best results. A lot of products will include it for 'window dressing' bc it looks good on the label, but the studies were all done on daily use. You may would receive some benefit from using it pre-activity, but by far the best way to use it would be to take 3 to 6 caps per day for at least 2 weeks before your trips or hunting season and continue it throughout.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No joke instant coffee packets are a life saver on backpacking hunts. But I also got to have coffee so I might be biased.

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you eating food and or protein during these movements?
Of course, we eat in the morning and throughout the day when we stop with the biggest meal being dinner. Water intake is critical as well.

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I definitely like PeakO2 and was looking for something with that. I was unaware of the daily vs pre activity of it but maybe be a good option to add in for the season. Good info! Appreciate it.

And yes morning coffee is a regular thing lol

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would suggest these, take it or leave it lol...

A solid EAA, but only for if or when the times arise when you may have to go hours without a protein feeding. There are many great ones out there, one of my favorites is called Essential Energy by Nuethix, because not only does it have the full EAA but it uses BHB for an energy component but no stims.

I also really like the idea of utilizing a hydration product that has an adequate amount of electrolytes sodium potassium etc. As much as I loathe REDCON, their canteen product is pretty good.

Peak O2 by SNS, must have, you will notice the effects immediatly.

Lastly, something you "may" consider is Bronkaid MAx (ephedra). Amazing non-jittery stim, that lets you seemingly oll for hours without a dip in energy, no crash, but also non-jittery non heart racy. At least in my experience.

You may also consider, for focus, if you need that component into something like either alpha brain or modafinil. Something like that. Not sure how much more focus of a supp you need after what you have already on hand.

HICA is another ingredient a lot of folks swear helps them out in terms of recovery. Could be worth looking into as a stand-alone, or within a more comprehensive formula.

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do use bronkaid on occasion as needed. Sounds like you’ve got about the same idea as me BCAA/EAA+Hydration, add on some peakO2.

I’m really looking for an all in one product if possible though. Or at least one for recovery/endurance and one for energy/focu.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I definitely like PeakO2 and was looking for something with that. I was unaware of the daily vs pre activity of it but maybe be a good option to add in for the season. Good info! Appreciate it.

And yes morning coffee is a regular thing lol
You're very welcome.

That happens a lot with ingredients - that companies will include them in things as more of a sales pitch - and present the benefits out of context, like saying how something will help improve endurance but then omitting that the studies were on daily use. I hate that because sometimes it leads people to have a negative opinion of certain ingredients or feel like certain ingredients don't work, when its really that they weren't taking them in a way that would allow them to work for maximum effectiveness.

If it were me, and this is what I do during rafting/hiking season myself - is I take 3 PEAK02 capsules in the morning and 3 at night.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I do use bronkaid on occasion as needed. Sounds like you’ve got about the same idea as me BCAA/EAA+Hydration, add on some peakO2.

I’m really looking for an all in one product if possible though. Or at least one for recovery/endurance and one for energy/focu.
It is hard to find everything in one thing mainly because of how some things need to be used daily, like PEAK02 or Epi-Plex, but then others would only need to be used as needed.

PEAK02 is great for the endurance and recovery aspect, so that could knock a lot of that out. I do 3 caps twice per day during rafting/hiking season or when I'm going to be doing more cardio.

My go to for energy and focus is Focus XT, but its completely out of stock at the moment. Hopeful ETA is 4 to 6 weeks, but if it is back in stock by the time you start doing your trips, it would be worth a try. It's great for mental focus, alertness, and energy.

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thoughts on Apollons “Over the Top” intra? Definitely some stuff I don’t need. But I think I decided im going to just stick with the Lionheart that I use now pre workout as my energy/focus supp since I know it’s nice to my stomach and I obviously like it. Then maybe add their Hydrate and Recovery. That should cover my bases with some added PeakO2 and maybe cardarine.