Best supp for teenager bulking.

adrenalinaddict

Awards
So my little brother is 16 almost 17. He is a wrestler. Very lean, pretty lanky skinny kid. I think he weighs somewhere around 135 right now, but very very lean.

Long story short, he is being forced into wrestling a heavier weight class this year. He is going to be wrestling around 145. I want to help him out by getting him some supplements to help him in his quest this year as the kid deserves it. I am going to buy him a few large containers of Cytogainer (I use it and like it compared to other gainers) for his help in calories. And Id like to get him something else to help him gain.

Due to the nature of wrestling I would think maybe some glutamine or BCAA's would be his best bet. I figure it will help prevent muscle wasting with the workout sessions he does, and help aid in recovery. Can you guys think of anything else that may be better suited? Theres always creatine as well. Does anyone have any ideas or input on best supp for someone so young with weight, and strength?

Last edited:
jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'd say creatine is merely OK at this point.

I started too early trying to use that type of stuff and just wasted money, until I figured out just what you said - nothing can replace food.

Man, I wish I were 16 again.....

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Heres a cheap thing to do instead of the crappy weight gainer, its what I use.
1 cup steel cut oats (680 calories, lower gi than rolled oats and higher cals).
2 cups milk (180 cals)
2 scoops protein (220 cals)
total = 1080 calories that are healthy and not full of sugar.
For cheap steel cut oats you can buy online at http://www.store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=307 Basically 25lbs for 30$ with I think 6$ shipping. 6 70oz containers, all completely sealed, need a can opener for them so they last a good amount of time. Whey you know where to get and even idiots can find milk. I would recommend this instead of those gainers. You can use less oats if you want less calories. These shakes do not taste great, but they do get the job done VERY cheaply. I personally use them once a day while bulking, possibly more if on "something" as well.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd say creatine is merely OK at this point.

I started too early trying to use that type of stuff and just wasted money, until I figured out just what you said - nothing can replace food.

Agreed, to much money wasted when food was the answer. Why doesn't every kid believe food won't work as well as these new supps?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Snake - it's the allure.

I won't lie - most supp. companies have great marketing tacticts. We all thought we could add a ton of muscle by using XXX supplement.
I was in the same boat as this dude's brother.
**** - I've got pics up in my pic thread from 2000 when I was like 140 (I was 20 at the time).

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was the same as well, I was just saying in general why does every kid refuse to listen. I know I for sure didn't want to listen, i didnt start listening till a few years ago and didnt REALLY start to listen (what exactly you eat) till about a year and half ago. Things are still hard for me at time, just need to sit back and realize one supp isnt going to be the answer to all our problems.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Get the kid to some type of nutrition educated health professional. A clown perhaps. Big breakfest, As mentioned before p w/o and post w/o nutrition should be parimount. If bulking I love a nice size meal before bed. OK I lied, love eating all three bears and goldilocks if I am trying to fatten up before bed. Good thing about bears, they eat lots o' salmon. Increasing oats and rice consumption with a lean protein source throughout the day. Avoiding pure junk food so he can feel full on the GOOD* stuff.

adrenalinaddict

Awards
ok guys...well I guess you all kind of missed the point of my post. I understand everything posted. Im triple certified by NASM, have trained many clients including athletes to success. I know food is the answer. But this is for a christmas gift.

Also when your 16, at school all day long, 2 hours of wrestling practice, and trying to bulk up 10 lbs, theres nothing wrong with weight gainer. I personally use a similar shake as you mentioned snakebyte. But I also use the cytogainer, because currently at work I cannot put together that shake and absolutely do not have time for meals in between clients...So I have to pound some weightgainer at work just for my calories, and get all my real food the rest of the day. The reason I like cytogainer is it has no sugar, is high in maltodextrin instead of fructose or similar.

I want to buy him a supplement as a gift. of course I stress the importance of food to him, but Im not going to get him oatmeal for christmas. The majority of us use supplements too. Especially with his grueling wrestling workouts I figured either glutamine, BCAA's or creatine would aid (along with food) in his quest, and make him feel good to recieve it as a gift.

Please dont bash and state the obvious of food...if you have a better suggestion cool, but I didnt come on here saying "whats the #1 supplement for getting hyyoooooggggeeeee???" Thanks guys.

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
BCAA's would help him also. Especially during long training.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
quote]

680 cals for 1 cup of oats? Regular oats are 300 per cup. How would being steel cut more than double the calories?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Glutamine is worthless.

Get him some essential amino acids (Cutsom sells them) with some Gatorade or Dextrose/Sucrose.
Have him drink that when he can during his practice.

Or get him a turn with Bobo on his bulking plan.

And you mentoined nothing about your background in the initial post. So, don't get annoyed (or whatever) at us for posting the "obvious". It isn't so obvious to most noobs when they post here.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
A jar Natty Peanut Butter would fit in a stocking

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
He doesn't need any supplements, outside of a weightgainer.

You simply can't replace the calories you can get from a weightgainer, with solid food, for the same cost. Calories, Calories and more calories.

I would highly suggest getting someone that really knows their stuff diet wise. There are VERY few out there. However, if he is serious, I can give you a contact of someone that is excellent, but not cheap. However, I'd much rather see someone spend 200 dollars on a real diet dude, than 200 dollars on supplements that 3 months later show no effect cause their diet was sh*t

Xel

Awards
680 cals for 1 cup of oats? Regular oats are 300 per cup. How would being steel cut more than double the calories?
Steel cut oats are unrefined dense little pieces, and rolled oats are steamed, toasted flakes. It makes a big difference.

My steel cut oats are 600kc/cup.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
you serious? no way, i hated being that young . sure there are some things id do different but i still wouldn't want to go back to that age.

i think creatine is ok at 16. also protein flax, fish, and a good multi, of course food. thats what i recommend.

worker1

Awards
I think when you blended 1 cup of steel cut oats you'd end up with a lot more than when blending 1 cup of regular oats.

xhexx

Awards
Yeah oats protein and some oil like fax or safflower will make a good wieght gainer or meal replacement. Just adjust the calories.

young_squatter

Board Sponsor
Awards
I would just stick to the basics: A good diet, Whey Protein, Creatine, Fish Oil, Multivitamin. Diet is the most important of these.