Creatine

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Is there a good, better or best way to take creatine? (Example: added to protein drink, just water....) Also, is there a suggested loading amount and time frame before a daily maintenance dosage begins. I am fairly new to all this stuff and am looking for some guidance. I currently add 5 grams of Creatine and 5 grams of Glutamine to my protein drink. One drink immediately following workout. One drink before bed. Any help or suggestions would be excellent.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think that is about the right doseage that i would recommend. The max you should take a day is 20g. However i find just taking 5 to 10 grams daily will benefit you the post. If you have creatine monohydrate i would just mix it in with your protein shake post workout.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I think that is about the right doseage that i would recommend. The max you should take a day is 20g. However i find just taking 5 to 10 grams daily will benefit you the post. If you have creatine monohydrate i would just mix it in with your protein shake post workout.
Thanks for your recommendation.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Once saturated you would be fine to only take 3-5g on training days.

Timing shouldn't really matter, so just whenever is convenient (since I take it on training days only it usually gets mixed in with other stuff I take that day).

Loading also shouldn't really matter. It just gets you to fully saturated levels faster. You could stick with your current dosing then after a month just cut back to 3-5g only on training days.

Hope that helps. :)

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like bolt said, you only need 3-5 grams. There is no need to go above 5 grams per day.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Defiantly just 5 grams. You can mix it in anything but most of the time I just down it with water

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Timing isn't a HUGE issue, but there are some recent studies that show dosing directly after/post workout is slightly (and I stress slightly) more effective.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would just add to take it the same time everyday so you get in the routine of taking it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
20g Why?
3-5g is more than enough to take on workout days and enough to reach saturation over time
There is no need to load/cycle creatine.

Grab a mono that is dirt cheap and invest in it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649889/
http://www.jissn.com/content/6/1/6

Conclusion

Creatine ethyl ester did not show any additional benefit to increase muscle strength or performance than creatine monohydrate or maltodextose placebo.

Additionally, total body mass, fat mass, fat-free mass, and thigh muscle mass were not significantly enhanced with creatine ethyl ester supplementation compared to placebo or creatine monohydrate groups.

I. The vast majority of the improvement observed in the present study can most likely be attributed to the training protocol itself, rather than the supplementation.

Furthermore, it appears that the skeletal muscle uptake of creatine ethyl ester uptake was not significant enough to increase skeletal muscle creatine levels without significant degradation to creatinine occurring.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
20g Why?
3-5g is more than enough to take on workout days and enough to reach saturation over time
There is no need to load/cycle creatine.

Grab a mono that is dirt cheap and invest in it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649889/
http://www.jissn.com/content/6/1/6

Conclusion

Creatine ethyl ester did not show any additional benefit to increase muscle strength or performance than creatine monohydrate or maltodextose placebo.

Additionally, total body mass, fat mass, fat-free mass, and thigh muscle mass were not significantly enhanced with creatine ethyl ester supplementation compared to placebo or creatine monohydrate groups.

I. The vast majority of the improvement observed in the present study can most likely be attributed to the training protocol itself, rather than the supplementation.

Furthermore, it appears that the skeletal muscle uptake of creatine ethyl ester uptake was not significant enough to increase skeletal muscle creatine levels without significant degradation to creatinine occurring.
covers everything you need to know about creatine. It is such a cheap supplement I can't see why no one would not use it. Not to mention it provides many more benefits outside of energy storage such as cognitive benefits(if deficient)

ThorBara

ThorBara

Awards
5 grams everyday. More is not needed. Choose a good product who don't give you digestive problems.