Creating creatine carb blend

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So has anyone tried making their own creatine carb blend using HBCD, Karbolyn, Carbion etc? I'm trying to make my own blends similar to dark matter, sizeone, cell tech etc. I know people use dextrose and creatine mono, but is there more things needed for these blends to be as efficient as something like size on, or dark matter, regarding absorption? Because these supplements really work well for my body, way more strength gains then just taking creatine alone. I looked at cell tech's profile and it just looks like a carb blend, sweeteners, sme bcaas, taurine and ALA with creatine monohydrate, I could see why people used to **** on their prices...........

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Different carbs have different effect profiles in terms of insulin response, blood glucose curves, etc., but when it comes to creatine, the truth is that you don't need any special type of carb. Even if you just mix creatine in some water and consume it during or after a meal, it is still going to be absorbed at a very high rate.

After about 30 days of daily creatine usage, your creatine stores are going to be saturated anyway, so I would NOT fret...let alone spend any meaningful amounts of money...on trying to further increase absorption. If you're going to end up in the same place anyway (30 days @ 3-5 gm/day = max saturation), why spend money?

Carbs are obviously useful, but I wouldn't spend money on them solely to enhance creatine uptake. It's not wise. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Different carbs have different effect profiles in terms of insulin response, blood glucose curves, etc., but when it comes to creatine, the truth is that you don't need any special type of carb. Even if you just mix creatine in some water and consume it during or after a meal, it is still going to be absorbed at a very high rate.

After about 30 days of daily creatine usage, your creatine stores are going to be saturated anyway, so I would NOT fret...let alone spend any meaningful amounts of money...on trying to further increase absorption. If you're going to end up in the same place anyway (30 days @ 3-5 gm/day = max saturation), why spend money?

Carbs are obviously useful, but I wouldn't spend money on them solely to enhance creatine uptake. It's not wise. Your money is better spent elsewhere.
I've tried 5 grams a day for a month and also tried carb blend creatine products and to be honest there is a huge difference with the carb blend creatine products. Dont get me wrong I get an effect from just creatine alone water retention strength etc, but these carb blends work alot better, I see a difference in workout performance after a week, but at the same time I get super bloated as ****.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've tried 5 grams a day for a month and also tried carb blend creatine products and to be honest there is a huge difference with the carb blend creatine products. Dont get me wrong I get an effect from just creatine alone water retention strength etc, but these carb blends work alot better, I see a difference in workout performance after a week, but at the same time I get super bloated as ****.
If you’re dead set on a cheap creatine/carb mix, put 5 grams of creatine in 8-10 oz of grape juice. That’s an old school way of consuming creatine but @Mike Arnold hit the nail on the head with his response. If you’re looking for that workout performance, mix country time lemonade, dextrose, EAA’s and pink salt and consume just before and during the workout. I’ll bet this will help with what you’re looking for.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You more likely saw a huge difference because of the carbs being added pre/during ya workout, not because it was blended with creatine

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
The effect from adding carbs has no effect on the creatine. Your simply noticing (as you should) a great effect from using the carbs with your workout. I will suggest to take your creatine separate and use the carbs during your workout. Sipping some (I mix them with EAA’s) between sets. This would be an intra workout drink that will fuel your workout, assist in recovery and protect your muscle from being used as an energy source. Creatine not necessary. Take this at some other time like after u have worked out and get one of the SNS (non mono versions) versions which remove bloating from the equation.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What you're noticing is increased glycogen storage, NOT increased creatine storage. If your glycogen levels aren't topped off and you want them to be, you can just eat more complex carbs and you'll get the same results. Again, there is ZERO need to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a bunch of sugar. The science is clear....and has been for over 20 years at this point. It's not difficult to determine whether or not creatine stores have been saturated. Using 5 grams of creatine daily will max out creatine stores in about a month...as long as BG levels are elevated during the time creatine is in your bloodstream.

So, if you want to buy carbs...cool, but don't buy them for creatine storage. It's unnecessary.

Edit: Also, carbs increase insulin levels, which will increase nitric oxide concentrations and provide a better pump. So, the additional effects you're noticing are solely a result of the carbs themselves, not because they're increasing your creatine storage capacity.

Last edited:

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You more likely saw a huge difference because of the carbs being added pre/during ya workout, not because it was blended with creatine
Exactly. He mistook an increase in glycogen levels for enhanced creatine storage.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exactly. He mistook an increase in glycogen levels for enhanced creatine storage.
thing is Ive done this before, I upped my carbs considerably, not the same. Creatine I even loaded the first week, it wasnt the same. So I dk why these creatine carb blends give me such a big performacne boost.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to take mhp dark matter post workout only, so how do you explain the increased performance thats my question? because I do eat a **** ton of carbs on the regular.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to take mhp dark matter post workout only, so how do you explain the increased performance thats my question? because I do eat a **** ton of carbs on the regular.
Complex carbs take longer to digest than the form you consume in the “carb/creatine blends.” They are readily available the moment you drink them. You’re quite literally giving your muscles an immediate source of energy vs waiting on your body to metabolize your meals and etc. As far as only taking Dark Matter post workout, there are some studies that suggests post workout is the best for consuming creatine. But again, that has zero to do with it being combined with carbs

Last edited:

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
thing is Ive done this before, I upped my carbs considerably, not the same. Creatine I even loaded the first week, it wasnt the same. So I dk why these creatine carb blends give me such a big performacne boost.
Insulin. I forgot to mention that in the previous post.

The carbs are providing you with an insulin spike, which increases blood flow. This is why you notice a bigger, better pump, but carbs will not further increase your body's creatine storage capacity. You creatine stores will be maxed out in about 30 days with 3-5 grams daily. At that point, adding more carbs will not further boost creatine storage.

What you're experiencing are independent effects from both the creatine and the carbs. You really don't need a giant insulin spike in order to max out your creatine stores. The creatine is going to di it's job regardless of whether you take carbs during training. Those older school supp companies used marketing to fool people into thinking that the customer NEEDED massive insulin spikes in order for creatine to provide optimal effects. It was and remains untrue to this day. But, when these companies add 75 grams of dextrose to creatine (old cell-tech) and then the customer notices additional weight gain and better pumps (along with a diabetic future), they think the supp company was telling them the truth. In reality, the customer spent $60 for $1 worth of sugar and $5 worth of creatine mono. Cell-Tech made a freakin' killing selling creatine mono and sugar for $60 a jug. Hey, I also bought it 26 years ago when I was 20 years old, so no judgment here. :) Even with their massive advertising budget (which is what people were really paying for), they still made a killing. Maybe a "raping" would be more accurate.

Last edited:

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Insulin. I forgot to mention that in the previous post.

The carbs are providing you with an insulin spike, which increases blood flow. This is why you notice a bigger, better pump, but carbs will not further increase your body's creatine storage capacity. You creatine stores will be maxed out in about 30 days with 3-5 grams daily. At that point, adding more carbs will not further boost creatine storage.

What you're experiencing are independent effects from both the creatine and the carbs. You really don't need a giant insulin spike in order to max out your creatine stores. The creatine is going to di it's job regardless of whether you take carbs during training. Those older school supp companies used marketing to fool people into thinking that the customer NEEDED massive insulin spikes in order for creatine to provide optimal effects. It was and remains untrue to this day. But, when these companies add 75 grams of dextrose to creatine (old cell-tech) and then the customer notices additional weight gain and better pumps (along with a diabetic future), they think the supp company was telling them the truth. In reality, the customer spent $60 for $1 worth of sugar and $5 worth of creatine mono. Cell-Tech made a freakin' killing selling creatine mono and sugar for $60 a jug. Hey, I also bought it 26 years ago when I was 20 years old, so no judgment here. :) Even with their massive advertising budget (which is what people were really paying for), they still made a killing. Maybe a "raping" would be more accurate.

That diabetic future line really got to me. I’ve been a Size-on fan boy for a while now, but I’m starting to be concerned with the long term usage. I could always eat as much of whatever I wanted when I was younger, my body is not working that way now that I’m in my 40’s.

My latest fasted bloods showed borderline high glucose, A1C and low insulin. I’m admittedly confused by blood sugar management because I’ve honestly never considered it before.

I’m also noticing the belly bloat from the creatine, so I think it’s time for me to retire from using this product.

I just picked up creatine HCL, I’m thinking of mixing that with a simple EAA blend and some sort of carb - any suggestions on the healthiest carb source for this?

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
That diabetic future line really got to me. I’ve been a Size-on fan boy for a while now, but I’m starting to be concerned with the long term usage. I could always eat as much of whatever I wanted when I was younger, my body is not working that way now that I’m in my 40’s.

My latest fasted bloods showed borderline high glucose, A1C and low insulin. I’m admittedly confused by blood sugar management because I’ve honestly never considered it before.

I’m also noticing the belly bloat from the creatine, so I think it’s time for me to retire from using this product.

I just picked up creatine HCL, I’m thinking of mixing that with a simple EAA blend and some sort of carb - any suggestions on the healthiest carb source for this?
I think bodyfat level is the most important indicator of health. If your 20% or lower, then its about carb timing imo. I cannot think of a better time to eat carbs (quick release) than during a workout. Second after a workout and Third: a small meal- 45 minutes or so before working out. Everything else is really un- necessary (if your trying to determine what carbs to cut out) and control blood sugar. But I am no Dr. Eat around (and during) your workout works wonders. Eat protein and veggies otherwise.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think bodyfat level is the most important indicator of health. If your 20% or lower, then its about carb timing imo. I cannot think of a better time to eat carbs (quick release) than during a workout. Second after a workout and Third: a small meal- 45 minutes or so before working out. Everything else is really un- necessary (if your trying to determine what carbs to cut out) and control blood sugar. But I am no Dr. Eat around (and during) your workout works wonders. Eat protein and veggies otherwise.
I’m already pretty lean, I’m terrible at judging the number but I’d say 12-15%. I was concerned with the numbers on the bloods, the TRT doctor told me that I’m basically eating too much sugar so that’s why I’m looking for a more optimal carb source. I do eat a health serving of ice cream before bed because my metabolism is that fast, I’m going to have to cut that first.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m already pretty lean, I’m terrible at judging the number but I’d say 12-15%. I was concerned with the numbers on the bloods, the TRT doctor told me that I’m basically eating too much sugar so that’s why I’m looking for a more optimal carb source. I do eat a health serving of ice cream before bed because my metabolism is that fast, I’m going to have to cut that first.
I bet that one change - maybe for the same calories in peanut butter or cheese for example (any fat and or protein source instead of carb source) would change your blood sugar numbers. And I bet the introduction or intra workout carbs would not make any difference - in fact that your numbers may improve cause your workout performance goes up say 30%. And that just the introduction of intra workout carbs would really go a long way in hlping you too remove that before bed ice cream craving (cause your really needing intra workout carbs and your body and brain are trying to make up for it by utilizing the pre bed ice cream. Be interested to see where this all goes. Good luck.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

So you think Size on raised your blood sugar levels? Im not going to lie I started taking it again, and I don't remember being so hungry all day after taking it, must be the dextrose raising my sugar levels.............

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I bet that one change - maybe for the same calories in peanut butter or cheese for example (any fat and or protein source instead of carb source) would change your blood sugar numbers. And I bet the introduction or intra workout carbs would not make any difference - in fact that your numbers may improve cause your workout performance goes up say 30%. And that just the introduction of intra workout carbs would really go a long way in hlping you too remove that before bed ice cream craving (cause your really needing intra workout carbs and your body and brain are trying to make up for it by utilizing the pre bed ice cream. Be interested to see where this all goes. Good luck.
I like the peanut butter and cheese idea. But to be clear I am already using intra work out carbs with the size-on product. It says 40grams of carbs 39 grams of sugar. I was surprised that it wasn’t more than that when I just looked at the label. I was asking if there was a better source of intra work out carbs than that dextrose blend. Maybe there isn’t and I just need to cut the ice cream.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So you think Size on raised your blood sugar levels? Im not going to lie I started taking it again, and I don't remember being so hungry all day after taking it, must be the dextrose raising my sugar levels.............
I honestly don’t know, I’m just seeing the numbers creep to the upper limits of the range and I’m trying to be proactive. I’ve upped the amount of carbs I consume overall in the past year and a half to try and maximize overall size, hence the bed time ice cream. I’m in my early 40’s too, so I think it’s also just natural changes due to my systems aging?

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like the peanut butter and cheese idea. But to be clear I am already using intra work out carbs with the size-on product. It says 40grams of carbs 39 grams of sugar. I was surprised that it wasn’t more than that when I just looked at the label. I was asking if there was a better source of intra work out carbs than that dextrose blend. Maybe there isn’t and I just need to cut the ice cream.
So it says dextrose, trehalose(I dont think spike blood sugar, does the opposite), cyclic dextrin, and pterostilbene(should lower blood sugar) but after taking size on I dont get that hypo feeling, just hungry thoughout the day, compared to when I used to take Dark Matter(waxy Maize), Karbolyn, or cell tech(which I think in the past was just dextrose, now its a blend).