• Established
title say it all, opinions wanted
supps, timing, training tips etc.

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At your age the best supp you can take is food brotha. Lots of water, food, and rest. Maybe some whey if you really want something extra. Good luck bud.

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
Peaking at an appropriate time in the season and having a diet filled with the necessary macro and micronutrients to support your performance are what will do best for you - this is coming from an old hand at the 400m/800m. Getting enough sleep, training hard, and eating enough quality food will give you dramatic results. At 16 years old, supplementation isn't strictly necessary.

domore

Awards
Perform a Google search for Clyde Hart. He coached at the University of Baylor. If you have followed USA track and field, he has coached Michael Johnson, Jeremy Wariner, Darold Williamson, etc. You can read upon his training philosophies, and training programs.

speedendurance.com is a pretty good website to find some information.

Training should be the supplement to a great 400. Understanding that kick-butt training (in hopes of peaking at the right time) is the key to having a successful season.

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
At your age the best supp you can take is food brotha. Lots of water, food, and rest. Maybe some whey if you really want something extra. Good luck bud.
LOL, I could only wish!!!! The mistakes I could have avoided. Check the avatar info friend, I am in me 40s. This is a question for the next generation. Assuming training was dialed in and macros as well, I am wondering about supp strategies for that extra second, maybe 2. His current pace is anywhere from 54-56 depending, though he is still learning the sprint-stride-sprint tempo of the race (first year running it). What I am asking about is strategies like sodium bicarb(at 54 sec or less will he be purely anaerobic or will some lactic threshold approaches manifest) stuff like TMG and other donors, Iron-Vit C-Vit B12 approaches, MAN sports body octane, Millenium's stuff, some buccal/sublingual albuterol pre-race LOL, etc.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I figured this was for someone else--nothing like vicariously reliving one's youth!
To amplify the above, especially for a track neophyte, training will trump all supplementation.
Not only can supplementation affect eligibility, it will have negligible effect until training is dialed in and a speed-endurance base is built.

In terms of training, look at glide intervals, one step pace accelerators, and russian intervals.
And, racing the 800 can help too

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
proper training for this is a must, of course. wouldnt hurt to add in some BCAAs but i wouldnt do anything more than that.

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
Just ordered some Millenium Sports stuff, HMB at 3g a day, CordygenVO2 Ultra at 4 caps per day(2x2) and some ragnarok caffeine free.

This will help with training and recovery, he ran a 54 open 400 yesterday, curious to see if the lactic acid abating effects of the HMB shave some time.

zv3

zv3

Awards
Just ordered some Millenium Sports stuff, HMB at 3g a day, CordygenVO2 Ultra at 4 caps per day(2x2) and some ragnarok caffeine free.

This will help with training and recovery, he ran a 54 open 400 yesterday, curious to see if the lactic acid abating effects of the HMB shave some time.
I agree with this. Most of MT Codyceps products will helps immensely with track activities. My secret is I also use this stuff for the gym and it's a massive game-changer for me, don't know why it's not more popular, but that only means more product for me!

I also agree with the suggestions to forgo almost all supplementation at your age, your still growing and you don't want to throw off the natural-balance of your growth, you have plenty of time to get into supplementation in a few years.

flamini

flamini

Awards
You literally don't need anything except maybe protein after a workout and a multiV. And THAT'S AT MOST.

Drock1234

Awards
It's not about need. It's about having an edge. If I were back in highschool I wish I knew about Creatinol O Phosphate, Beta Alanine and Citruline Malate. Everyones right, the best strategy is diet, sleep, and training. But perfect diet and 10 hours of sleep a night aren't really realistic for teenagers...

Can't imagine what my numbers would have been if I had those supps.

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
i wish i had the attitude about training and nutrition that i do now back then! Drock you get what I am after here with this question.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
It's not about need. It's about having an edge. . .

Can't imagine what my numbers would have been if I had those supps.
Seriously-don't focus on the supps.
They won't even provide an 'edge'.
'Edges' come on top of years if productive training that H.S. athletes just aren't going to have.
Focus on building the base and shelve the supps.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
i wish i had the attitude about training and nutrition that i do now back then! Drock you get what I am after here with this question.
At a 54, you are light-years away from looking for that extra 'edge'.
Get him down to 50 point naturally and then maybe play around w supps.
Teaching the lesson that success comes through hard work and not off of the supp store shelf is a lesson I impart to all of my athletes.

domore

Awards
At a 54, you are light-years away from looking for that extra 'edge'.
Get him down to 50 point naturally and then maybe play around w supps.
Teaching the lesson that success comes through hard work and not off of the supp store shelf is a lesson I impart to all of my athletes.
I whole-heartedly agree. An extra "edge" may be nice when he is sub-50. At 54 seconds, he won't qualify for any state championship track meets. And, supplements won't make him drop 6 or 7 seconds. To be competitive at the state championship, he should at least be running 48s. If he is down south, he will have to shave a couple more seconds to be competitive.

He should really dedicate himself to his training, listening to his coaches, etc.

If he wants to train over the summer (which he should), you can Clyde Hart's find old training programs online.

Perform a Google search for Clyde Hart. He coached at the University of Baylor. If you have followed USA track and field, he has coached Michael Johnson, Jeremy Wariner, Darold Williamson, etc. You can read upon his training philosophies, and training programs.

speedendurance.com is a pretty good website to find some information.

Training should be the supplement to a great 400. Understanding that kick-butt training (in hopes of peaking at the right time) is the key to having a successful season.

Drock1234

Awards
Seriously-don't focus on the supps.
They won't even provide an 'edge'.
'Edges' come on top of years if productive training that H.S. athletes just aren't going to have.
Focus on building the base and shelve the supps.
You're missing the point dude. Its not supplements or training. Its supplements FOR training. And now you're disputing clinical proven evidence of the ingredients I mentioned...hmmm

Domore- you're way smart dude on these boards. But seriously why does it matter how good he is? I am sure he'd settle for beating up a ***** high school at a meet.

You guys aren't wrong but totally missing the point. Sounds like advice from guys who never played competitive sports. Get off your high horse. Keep arguing science won't improve his training. One more time, does he need them? No. But that's not a reason not to, either.

Emilio- draw your own conclusions. I HIGHLY recommend COP and BA.

domore

Awards
You're missing the point dude. Its not supplements or training. Its supplements FOR training. And now you're disputing clinical proven evidence of the ingredients I mentioned...hmmm

Domore- you're way smart dude on these boards. But seriously why does it matter how good he is? I am sure he'd settle for beating up a ***** high school at a meet.

You guys aren't wrong but totally missing the point. Sounds like advice from guys who never played competitive sports. Get off your high horse. Keep arguing science won't improve his training. One more time, does he need them? No. But that's not a reason not to, either.

I'm not arguing the efficacy of the mentioned compounds. Each has interesting literature to back their purported claims.

There is no need to question where I've been or what I've done.

I just don't feel it is necessary to recommend supplements to a 16 year old.

I wish the kid best of luck and hope he kicks butt!

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established

Reading apparently is a lost art. . .sigh!
I NEVER questioned science or the supps suggested.
What I did do is bring my extensive experience as an ELITE runner and COACH of the distance the OP posted a question about.
Supps help, but only at the margins and only after a runner has reached a high level.
If the OP wants to waste $ while sending a less than optimal message to a HS athlete, fine.

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
Reading apparently is a lost art. . .sigh!
I NEVER questioned science or the supps suggested.
What I did do is bring my extensive experience as an ELITE runner and COACH of the distance the OP posted a question about.
Supps help, but only at the margins and only after a runner has reached a high level.
If the OP wants to waste $ while sending a less than optimal message to a HS athlete, fine.
I appreciate your involvement in this thread, especially with regard to your background. What I ordered for him was designed to facilitate his training and to optimize the results from it, primarily via enhanced recovery. Time will tell.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
No problem.

Realize that, as a certified HS coach, I would never recommend supps for a HS runner.
That being said, I am not sure the supps you ordered-the MST stuff, HMB, and ragnarok will help all that much in recovery.
MST has treated me well in my longer distance stuff (1/2 and full marathons, triathlons) but I never notice it much in my interval training.
Best bet would be w the only supps I would recommend for a HS runner-BCAA and supplemental protein.

Best of luck and keep us updated