Best athlete in the world!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Who do you think is the best athlete in the world? To me, Roger Federer is the best athlete in the world right now. He dominates his sport more then anyone has since Jordan. I feel he is already the best tennis player of all time, and he still has a long way to go. To go along with his ridiculous talent, he is humble, and has a great personality. Any tennis fans here? Please don't say KOBE!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Answer LANCE ARMSTRONG

Federer's has lost 109 times in the past 7 years.

Lance Armstrong hasn't lost a single time in the past 7 years.
Best of all his wins were ALL in FRANCE in the face of thousands of Frenchmen
:)

CROWLER

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
He also plays 100 times a year, where Lance plays 1 time a year. Still good answer. I just don't really consider biking to be very athletic. Its just strictly endurance where in Tennis you have to have so many skills and athleticism. I'll have to check some stats, but Federer has absolutely dominated the last 4 or 5 years.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Ruling out which sport is more difficult, I'd have to agree with lance as far as dominating his sport. Regardless of how many times he's competed, he's defeated the BEST in his sport each time all at once, 7 years in a row.. That's what I call domination. Ask someone who the best tennis player has been for the last 7 years and you may get many differences of opinions. Ask who the best in lances sport is and 99.9% of the time you are going to hear Lance. Having said that, it's hard to compare sports and say which REQUIRES the best atheletes. I'm pretty sure I could ride a bike, but I know I can't play tennis to save my balls.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Answer LANCE ARMSTRONG

Federer's has lost 109 times in the past 7 years.

Lance Armstrong hasn't lost a single time in the past 7 years.
Best of all his wins were ALL in FRANCE in the face of thousands of Frenchmen
:)

CROWLER

good answer. I agree.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
good answer. I agree.
Cycling just isn't athletic. What Lance did is amazing, but he is not really an athlete, it takes endurance only. Maybe Kobiashi is the best athlete, he completely dominates in food eating contests, I just don't consider him to be an athlete.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
LOL...Lance isn't athletic? Which planet did u get that crack from? No crack on earth would make someone say something that dumb :lol:

However, I do agree that Federer is an awesome athlete.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
He also plays 100 times a year, where Lance plays 1 time a year. Still good answer. I just don't really consider biking to be very athletic. Its just strictly endurance where in Tennis you have to have so many skills and athleticism. I'll have to check some stats, but Federer has absolutely dominated the last 4 or 5 years.
But, Federer plays them each one at a time, armstrong plays them all at once, so he only needs one race :D

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
It's Fedor Emelianenko IMHO. He participates in one of the toughest (if not the toughest) sport in the world, is one of the most dominant athletes around at the moment. A couple years ago I would have said Alexander Karelin. I believe he is one of the greatest athletes of the last century.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ruling out which sport is more difficult, I'd have to agree with lance as far as dominating his sport. Regardless of how many times he's competed, he's defeated the BEST in his sport each time all at once, 7 years in a row.. That's what I call domination. Ask someone who the best tennis player has been for the last 7 years and you may get many differences of opinions. Ask who the best in lances sport is and 99.9% of the time you are going to hear Lance. Having said that, it's hard to compare sports and say which REQUIRES the best atheletes. I'm pretty sure I could ride a bike, but I know I can't play tennis to save my balls.
Its not really about difficult, I understand that Lance's sport is extremely difficult, it just does'nt take much athleticism. If you follow tennis at all you will know that Federer is CLEARLY the best tennis player of the last 7 years. Nobody comes even remotely close. Especially the last 4 or 5 years he is pretty much unstoppable. In tennis its just impossible to never get beaten, they compete so often. If Lance had a race every other week he would surely lose eventually. Federer's singles record last year was I think 80-5. Can you imagine if an NBA team went 77-5 or 78-4, people would be freaking out.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
LOL...Lance isn't athletic? Which planet did u get that crack from? No crack on earth would make someone say something that dumb :lol:

However, I do agree that Federer is an awesome athlete.
Please don't come at me like that. You obviously know nothing about athletics, if you think Lance is one of the best athletes. Please tell me what about riding a bicycle is athletic?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It's Fedor Emelianenko IMHO. He participates in one of the toughest (if not the toughest) sport in the world, is one of the most dominant athletes around at the moment. A couple years ago I would have said Alexander Karelin. I believe he is one of the greatest athletes of the last century.
I agree with you, to me its either Fedor or Federer!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Cycling just isn't athletic. What Lance did is amazing, but he is not really an athlete, it takes endurance only. Maybe Kobiashi is the best athlete, he completely dominates in food eating contests, I just don't consider him to be an athlete.
I disagree with this. Cycling takes strength, endurance, coordination, determination, etc. just like any other sport. Personally, I think tennis is kinda gay, but I can recognize that atheletic skill is required.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established

LOL Ok so it isn't athletic and doesn't require skills like tennis. Let's put you on a bike with 4 sq inches in contact with the road going 30 + miles an hour over rain soaked coble stones in a pack of 75 riders and see how fast you go down when you are 'accidently' bumped and knocked into repeatedly. ;)

BTW I have played competitive tennis and raced road bikes and biking is 100% tougher and DOES require an immense amount of skill to ride in a 'straight line' while going through a hair pin turn at the bottlm of a hill going 40+ miles an hour with other riders literally inches from your elbows, knees and bike.

On a side note to me bodybuilding is 200% tougher than than bike racing or triathlons because you have to watch what you eat basically almost 24/7. Force feeding to gain and then depriving yourself to cut up. With bike racing or triathlons the workout may be FAR more grueling and longer than a bodybuilding workout but once you do your workout you can eat ALMOST anything you want the other 16 hours of the day.

CROWLER

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Just to be clear: Webster defines athlete as :: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina .

I believe cycling requires these attributes.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Just to be clear: Webster defines athlete as :: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina .

I only see him having to use 1 of the 3, stamina. I mean it takes agility and strength to walk, just not much of it.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I only see him having to use 1 of the 3, stamina. I mean it takes agility and strength to walk, just not much of it.
Um..... just to ride a bike as a kid takes all 3. The general consesus among sports writers and the media is that he is AT LEAST in the top 3 athletes in the world and you're saying he's not even an athlete? All along arguing that a tennis player is the best athlete?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Crowler,
The skills and athleticism Lance uses in cycling are a dime a dozen, its his heart and endurance that are unsurpassed. The skill and athleticism Federer uses in Tennis will be found nowhere else. I can't believe you guys think Lance is super athletic, maybe he is, but he does'nt show it by riding a bike for long distances.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Dime a dozen huh? Here ya go---

By 1987, when he was sixteen, he was also winning bicycle races. That year, he was invited to the Cooper Institute, in Dallas, which was one of the first centers to recognize the relationship between fitness and aerobic conditioning. Everyone uses oxygen to break down food into the components that provide energy; the more oxygen you are able to use, the more energy you will produce, and the faster you can run, ride, or swim. Armstrong was given a test called the VO2 Max, which is commonly used to assess an athlete's aerobic ability: it measures the maximum amount of oxygen the lungs can consume during exercise. His levels were the highest ever recorded at the clinic. (Currently, they are about eighty-five millilitres per kilogram of body weight; a healthy man might have a VO2 Max of forty.)Chris Carmichael, who became his coach when Armstrong was still a teen-ager, told me that even then Armstrong was among the most remarkable athletes he had ever seen. Not only has his cardiovascular strength always been exceptional; his body seems specially constructed for cycling. His thigh bones are unusually long, for example, which permits him to apply just the right amount of torque to the pedals.

That's from an article written about him by Michael Shector.

P.S. - The dude also has only ONE BALL.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Um..... just to ride a bike as a kid takes all 3. The general consesus among sports writers and the media is that he is AT LEAST in the top 3 athletes in the world and you're saying he's not even an athlete? All along arguing that a tennis player is the best athlete?
Yeah thats what I just said jokingly, that it takes all three just to walk, just not much of it. Who are these sports writers, they know not what they speak. Those sports writers are going by accomplishments, not true athleticism. They have to give him his respect, he has unbelievable accomplishments. The fact remains that cycling does not take much athleticism. Do you think marathon runners are athletic? I really hope not.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Yeah thats what I just said jokingly, that it takes all three just to walk, just not much of it. Who are these sports writers, they know not what they speak. Those sports writers are going by accomplishments, not true athleticism. They have to give him his respect, he has unbelievable accomplishments. The fact remains that cycling does not take much athleticism. Do you think marathon runners are athletic? I really hope not.
No, you're right. The only athletes are fags with pony tails wearing short shorts holding rackets wacking balls. Please, this is getting ridiculous.
If he wasn't athletic, he would not have accomplished what he has. Thus Lance=Athlete.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
youre telling me climbing those hills in france doesn't take strength?

and going down them and around those sharp turns doesn't require agility?

to quote you "You obviously know nothing about athletics" or cycling for that matter.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

I mean I feel I'm walking a fine line saying that a tennis player is the best athlete seeing as it does'nt require a ton of strength(140mph serve is somewhat strength), just more agility then any other sport and lots of stamina. Cycling does not require much strength or agility. Whoever said tennis is kinda gay, I'd really like to hear why. They don't where gay clothes, they don't look or act gay, now I can't say the same for cyclists. BTW have you seen tennis player wives, hottest chicks on earth. Watch the semis of the Aussie Open, all four of the dudes wives are ridiculous.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No, you're right. The only athletes are fags with pony tails wearing short shorts holding rackets wacking balls. Please, this is getting ridiculus.
If he wasn't athletic, he would not have accomplished what he has. Thus Lance=Athlete.
You just said nothing, congrats. They don't wear short shorts, the pony tails are phasing out, and they were/are pretty gay. Holding rackets wacking balls, hopefully your son thought of that kindygarten insult. Have you seen these cyclists, one million times gayer then any tennis player, they where spandex, and little gay looking hats, to go along with there aerodynamic gay-gay shades. They also average about 140 lbs. Cycling is way gayer, but thats beside the point. If you think Lance is a great athlete thats cool, I guess I just can't comprehend riding a bike being that athletic, and I've been riding my whole life.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
youre telling me climbing those hills in france doesn't take strength?

and going down them and around those sharp turns doesn't require agility?

to quote you "You obviously know nothing about athletics" or cycling for that matter.
I feel there is a good chance most, not all, of the people in this thread saying cycling takes strenght and agility are piss poor athletes themselves. And no, I don't think riding a bike up a hill takes strength, or going around a sharp turn takes agility. Hell no. Just about anyone could ride up those hills and around the turns, its just that everyone would gas before Lance. Now I'd really like to see your average joe try to hit around with Federer.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Look, I was joking around in response to your lance is not an athlete argument, which is as ludricrous as saying all tennis players are gay. That was my point. You may have been riding a bike since you were a kid, but not at an elite level, which is different and requires different skills. Alot of guys have been playing tennis since they were kids. By your logic that makes them on par with Federer?

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I feel there is a good chance most, not all, of the people in this thread saying cycling takes strenght and agility are piss poor athletes themselves. And no, I don't think riding a bike up a hill takes strength, or going around a sharp turn takes agility. Hell no. Just about anyone could ride up those hills and around the turns, its just that everyone would gas before Lance. Now I'd really like to see your average joe try to hit around with Federer.
So how is the weather in Bizarro world?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Please be honest with yourselves. You could rationalize that anything takes SOME amount of athleticism, but cycling is just an endurance sport, period. Oh someone has neg repped me, and that hurts me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Look, I was joking around in response to your lance is not an athlete argument, which is as ludricrous as saying all tennis players are gay. That was my point. You may have been riding a bike since you were a kid, but not at an elite level, which is different and requires different skills. Alot of guys have been playing tennis since they were kids. By your logic that makes them on par with Federer?
I don't think Lance is not an athlete, hes just not even remotely close to being one of the top athletes. I did'nt say I rode at an elite level, I'm just saying I have a pretty damn good idea what cycling is about, I do. As well as a pretty good idea of what tennis is about(played throughout HS, won states twice). I was'nt saying I'm on par with Lance at all, I was saying I know what the sport entails. So not really a good comparison.

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Michael Johnson...
he worked his ass off, but had amazing talent to go with it. (holds 400 record and 200) the 200 record 19.32 and a 400 of 43.18....i wish i could have seen these races. No other sprinter has done well in both the 400 and 200 like he has...

i think lance is amazing. he has 0! fast twitch fibers (which helps endurence) but he has worked his butt off like no other, and has, in my mind been blessed. he was not Always that great. but than again no one is when they start something.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
So how is the weather in Bizarro world?
Its not bad, whats it like living in fantasyland where Lance Armstrong is the best athlete, and 5 time marathon runner bogatu modishu is a close second(marathon guy is fictional). The sport is just too one dimensional to have the best athlete come out of it.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
"I don't think Lance is not an athlete, hes just not even remotely close to being one of the top athletes. I did'nt say I rode at an elite level, I'm just saying I have a pretty damn good idea what cycling is about, I do. As well as a pretty good idea of what tennis is about(played throughout HS, won states twice). I was'nt saying I'm on par with Lance at all, I was saying I know what the sport entails. So not really a good comparison."

You did say this b.s. above correct? You're just contradicting yourself over and over. I'm done with this. Besides I'm sure you probably have to polish your high school state champ trophies.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
tj duckett is the best athlete in the world - if you say otherwise then u soft

actually I think Julius Peppers might be the best in the world.. I know, hes not even the best at his sport or position but he'd beat Lance Armstrong in basketball. otherwise I'll take Lance as best athlete - he's pretty good at cycling

lance is the best in his sport, whether he's a true athlete well thats up to you.. :burger:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
T.J. Duckett could not hit around Federer, he can't be the best athlete.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
mariuz pudzianowski (Spelling?) Just to diver attention from lance and federer

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Hey 400runner I see you reading this thread. I would have to say if biking takes no skills or athleticism then heck running the 400 has to be even easier and running the 800 pft you can call that one in via cel phone I mean come on all you are doing is running. BWAHAHAHAHA j/k but am trying to make a point. :)

Well I guess Alexander knows better than the rest of us AND the Associated Press AND ESPN they too are confused what it mens to be an athlete :)

Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005
ESPN's ESPY Award for Best Male Athlete in 2003, 2004, and 2005

Heck Federer isn't even the best tennis player ever how the heck can he be the best overall athlete lol

CROWELR

Last edited:
somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
YOu do make a good point, Has anyone heard of joe eigo hes CRAZY, check it out not athlete of the year tho sry.

Hey 400runner I see you reading this thread. I would have to say if biking takes no skills or athleticism then heck running the 400 has to be even easier and running the 800 pft you can call that one in via cel phone I mean come on all you are doing is running. BWAHAHAHAHA j/k but am trying to make a point. :)

Well I guess Alexander knows better than the rest of us AND the Associated Press AND ESPN they too are confused what it mens to be an athlete :)

Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005
ESPN's ESPY Award for Best Male Athlete in 2003, 2004, and 2005

Heck Federer isn't even the best tennis player ever how the heck can he be the best overall athlete lol

CROWELR

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
T.J. Duckett could not hit around Federer, he can't be the best athlete.
You clearly don't understand much. Your putting words into my mouth, and not comprehending my comparisons whatsoever. Or, you decided it was time for another kindygarten joke that makes no sense. Above you said I contradicted myself, not at all. I'm giving somewhat logical reasons as to why cycling is not that athletic of a sport(mainly that its one dimensional). All your saying is riding up a hill takes a lot of strength, and taking the curves takes agility. And it does, but its not a high level of agility. Its difficult to argue the exact amount of agility something takes, but certainly the side to side movement, quickness, hand eye coordination, reflexes, timing, etc that it takes to take part in a baseline rally in pro tennis takes much more agility then any part of cycling. To me the agility contest between cycling and tennis is very obviously lopsided. Tennis players are'nt strong, but they have good power. To be able to hit a serve 140 mph you've got power. Tennis players have the edge on speed too. If you had a cyclist race a tennis player in the 40, the cyclist would get dusted. They're all slow twitch, they have no speed. And of course the endurance goes to cycling, although tennis takes a huge amount of endurance as well, playing 3 hours of tennis every other day for 2 weeks during a grand slam is rigorous. Although cycling clearly takes a lot more endurance, cycling kills pretty much any sport in endurance. So, thats how I rationalize to myself that Federer(and Fedor)is a far better ATHLETE then Lance. A lot of it may also be that I don't find cycling impressive. Its all a matter of opinion I suppose, I will agree to disagee.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
id just like to add i was only stating that lance is an athlete, though i dont think he is the best.

i dont think anyone can be the best since there are way to many things to factor in to just pick one.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
A couple years ago I would have said Alexander Karelin. I believe he is one of the greatest athletes of the last century.
Absolutley agree. Karelin was truly the Beast from the East, he dominated Greco-Roman Superheavy from age 17 to 35, i think, never beaten in that time. Yes, he lost to Gardener at the end, but it was him fouling out, not Gardner beating him. Alexander "the Great" he truly was.

The other aspects of Lance Armstrong is the mental power required to sustain focus for hours continously. It is extremeley difficult to watch the road and keep one's heart rate in exactly the proper zone in varying terrain. Tennis, football, wrestling, etc. all get time off between activity, a cyclist does not, and the ability to withstand pain and keep's one's gameplan, world class endurance activities, cycling, running, triathlon, etc. are bouts of sustained pain.

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i believe that each and every person has talents. one person who is good at one thing might suck at another...example Michael Jorden...(great at basketball, but a not so great baseball player) enough said....

and anyways, for someone to say a sport is not a sport has a closed minded view on life. each sport is different and gets different recognition. for one to say what lance does is not a sport than i guess its ok for me to say bodybuilding is not one...i mean all you do is lift weights.? wrong! you see its competition. and there are people better than one another and it IS a sport too! and running track...Yes, its a sport and the few ppl in the world who know what its all truly understand what they go through as well.

trey

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
You clearly don't understand much. Your putting words into my mouth, and not comprehending my comparisons whatsoever. Or, you decided it was time for another kindygarten joke that makes no sense. Above you said I contradicted myself, not at all. I'm giving somewhat logical reasons as to why cycling is not that athletic of a sport(mainly that its one dimensional). All your saying is riding up a hill takes a lot of strength, and taking the curves takes agility. And it does, but its not a high level of agility. Its difficult to argue the exact amount of agility something takes, but certainly the side to side movement, quickness, hand eye coordination, reflexes, timing, etc that it takes to take part in a baseline rally in pro tennis takes much more agility then any part of cycling. To me the agility contest between cycling and tennis is very obviously lopsided. Tennis players are'nt strong, but they have good power. To be able to hit a serve 140 mph you've got power. Tennis players have the edge on speed too. If you had a cyclist race a tennis player in the 40, the cyclist would get dusted. They're all slow twitch, they have no speed. And of course the endurance goes to cycling, although tennis takes a huge amount of endurance as well, playing 3 hours of tennis every other day for 2 weeks during a grand slam is rigorous. Although cycling clearly takes a lot more endurance, cycling kills pretty much any sport in endurance. So, thats how I rationalize to myself that Federer(and Fedor)is a far better ATHLETE then Lance. A lot of it may also be that I don't find cycling impressive. Its all a matter of opinion I suppose, I will agree to disagee.
I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted you. Your basing your comparisons on the skills required to play tennis being the rule as to what defines athletic competition and you don't even see it. Sure Federer is a better athlete IN HIS SPORT, than Lance, but you have repeatedly reduced the entire sport of cycling to an endurance test. (Reread your posts) This entire argument is subjective. EVERY sport requires different skills. Personally I'm not fond of either sport, but I can give credit where credit is due-Lance is a dominant athlete in his sport. To say what you just said-that cycling is not that athletic a sport, is just silly. Agree to disagree it is.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Please don't come at me like that. You obviously know nothing about athletics, if you think Lance is one of the best athletes. Please tell me what about riding a bicycle is athletic?
Okay, define your version of an "athlete" for me.

Yeah, I know nothing of athletics. You never learn anything of the sort in the wrestling room.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Cycling is boring as hell, but requires plenty of athletic ability.

Sprinting on a bike, uphill, requires power.
Stamina is a given.
Having to weave in and out of tightly packed crowds at high speeds and accelarating around corners at high speeds requires responsiveness and agility.
I could go on forever, and I'm definitely not, nor have I ever been, a cyclist. Its boring as death to me.

I just don't see how you turned this whole thread into a "cyclists aren't atheletes" thread. :think:

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, anyways. whats everyone elses thoughts about the "best"

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Gotta give Lebron a vote as well. For as young as he is, he's done some amazing things in his career already. (Plus he gives my hometown a respectable sports team that is desperately needed). Youngest player to reach 5000 points in NBA history.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted you. Your basing your comparisons on the skills required to play tennis being the rule as to what defines athletic competition and you don't even see it. Sure Federer is a better athlete IN HIS SPORT, than Lance, but you have repeatedly reduced the entire sport of cycling to an endurance test. (Reread your posts) This entire argument is subjective. EVERY sport requires different skills. Personally I'm not fond of either sport, but I can give credit where credit is due-Lance is a dominant athlete in his sport. To say what you just said-that cycling is not that athletic a sport, is just silly. Agree to disagree it is.
You put words into my mouth by saying "Duckett can't be the best athlete, he cant hit around with Federer", when I never implied whatsoever that you had to be able to hit around with Federer in order to be the best athlete. What I was clearly saying is that plenty of people have the speed, power, and agility to ride with Lance, its just that he does'nt get tired(he has the best endurance of anyone). And that no one has the speed, power, and agility to be able to hit around competitively with Federer, making him the more impressive athlete in my eyes. Athletically Federer has more weapons. I'm not basing my concept of athleticism on the skills it takes to play tennis. I'm going off of Speed, Strength, Agility, and Endurance. Then I'm comparing the two sports. I will continue to 'reduce' the sport of cycling to an endurance contest, because it is. I'd say its 90% endurance. Lance is an amazing sportsman, not so much an amazing athlete, in the true definition. If you wanna get real mad at me, let me help you out. I definitely don't think bodybuilding is a very athletic sport at all. I am a bodybuilder/powerlifter, but I don't think either are very athletic, especially the former. That one is actually for Crowler I believe. Oh, and Lebron James, now your talking. He's definitely high up on my list of best athletes.