Best athlete in the world!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Okay, define your version of an "athlete" for me.

Yeah, I know nothing of athletics. You never learn anything of the sort in the wrestling room.
Speed, Strength, Endurance, and Agility. Wrestlers are very athletic, they possess all of those qualities. I just really don't think cycling requires much of the first 3, just lots of endurance. You've got to draw the line somewhere, do you think Marathon runners are athletic?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Who took all my rep? I was stating my opinion, which is a very reasonable one. I guess I should've just bowed down, and let everyone think they're right.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
The TJ Duckett thing was what we on earth here call a JOKE. It was not intended to imply.. ahh screw it.:frustrate

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
T.J. Duckett could not hit around Federer, he can't be the best athlete.
but but at that same time, Roger Federer isn't stuffing TJ Duckett on the goalline or beating him in a 40yard sprint. Federer can't bench 185 for 1 but duckett could do that for 40 I'd guess. it's really not comparable - although it's a highly funny comparsion.. :D

When we talk about the 'best athlete' in the NFL - I'm saying it's more impressive for Julius Peppers (6-6 290lbs guy) to run 40yards in 4.42seconds than Michael Vick (6-1 205lbs guy) to run it in 4.31. A lot of people straight up disagree with me here - and that's fine.

If speed on a track or record on a tennis court is the only measuring stick for being a good athlete than a lot of big names are off the list. I'm taking Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Reggie Bush and Donovan McNabb over Roger Federer.. call me crazy :D

By definition:
An athlete is a person possessing above average physical skills (strength, agility, and endurance) and thus seen suitable for physical activities, in particular, contests.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The TJ Duckett thing was what we on earth here call a JOKE. It was not intended to imply.. ahh screw it.:frustrate
haha don't worry.. I knew that anyway :D
it's all good :D

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Speed, Strength, Endurance, and Agility. Wrestlers are very athletic, they possess all of those qualities. I just really don't think cycling requires much of the first 3, just lots of endurance. You've got to draw the line somewhere, do you think Marathon runners are athletic?
by definition that is correct.

i think an athlete is also defined by how much success he/she could have playing ALL sports - not just their specialty

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's Fedor Emelianenko IMHO. He participates in one of the toughest (if not the toughest) sport in the world, is one of the most dominant athletes around at the moment. A couple years ago I would have said Alexander Karelin. I believe he is one of the greatest athletes of the last century.
Hell yeah bro, that man is unstoppable.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
but but at that same time, Roger Federer isn't stuffing TJ Duckett on the goalline or beating him in a 40yard sprint. Federer can't bench 185 for 1 but duckett could do that for 40 I'd guess. it's really not comparable - although it's a highly funny comparsion.. :D

When we talk about the 'best athlete' in the NFL - I'm saying it's more impressive for Julius Peppers (6-6 290lbs guy) to run 40yards in 4.42seconds than Michael Vick (6-1 205lbs guy) to run it in 4.31. A lot of people straight up disagree with me here - and that's fine.

If speed on a track or record on a tennis court is the only measuring stick for being a good athlete than a lot of big names are off the list. I'm taking Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Reggie Bush and Donovan McNabb over Roger Federer.. call me crazy :D

By definition:
An athlete is a person possessing above average physical skills (strength, agility, and endurance) and thus seen suitable for physical activities, in particular, contests.
All those guys you listed minus Mcnabb might be better athletes then Federer. Federer has so much on them skillwise, but they're all definitely much stronger, and faster. Bo Jackson IMO probably the most talented athlete ever, but an underachiever. Julius Peppers is an incredible athlete as well. IMO most people are tremendous followers, and see Lance winning ESPY awards for being the best athlete, so they assume he must be the best athlete. To me those awards don't mean much. I mean Eminem wins rapper of the year by the most credible rap magazine(source), do you think that makes him the best rapper in the world? Hell no. Think for yourself. He's so far from being the best rapper, not even close to the top 10. I guarantee most of the people that think Lance is the best athlete also would've thought the world was flat. There are plenty of guys out their that might be better athletes then Federer, I just think its funny that you guys picked a guy who is pretty much strictly endurance to be the best athlete. Sorry to post this all on your quote Deoudes it is not directed at you.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh, thanks for filling me in, great joke too. No **** its a joke, a joke that was intended to mock me, when I never said anything to imply anything close to that. Glad your banging your head on the wall, must be a real pain in the ass to deal with someone with an opinion of their own, who makes sense, and will call you on your BS attempts to insult. I mean its not really a bid deal, I just thought I'd call you on it, it was an attempted cheap shot that did'nt make sense because I never said you'd have to be able to hit around with Federer in order to be the best athlete. You may not have intended to imply, but you implied. Now that I've had time to seriously think about it, Federer probably isn't the best athlete, but he is WAY higher up on the list then Lance. Just face it riding a bike is pretty cake, does'nt take a ton of talent, just a ton of endurance. Nobody's answered my Marathon runner question, hmmmm?

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Oh, thanks for filling me in, great joke too. No **** its a joke, a joke that was intended to mock me, when I never said anything to imply anything close to that. Glad your banging your head on the wall, must be a real pain in the ass to deal with someone with an opinion of their own, who makes sense, and will call you on your BS attempts to insult. I mean its not really a bid deal, I just thought I'd call you on it, it was an attempted cheap shot that did'nt make sense because I never said you'd have to be able to hit around with Federer in order to be the best athlete. You may not have intended to imply, but you implied. Now that I've had time to seriously think about it, Federer probably isn't the best athlete, but he is WAY higher up on the list then Lance. Just face it riding a bike is pretty cake, does'nt take a ton of talent, just a ton of endurance. Nobody's answered my Marathon runner question, hmmmm?
Hey genius, that joke wasn't even directed at you. You're entitled to your opinion, noone ever questioned that. You on the other hand has repeatedly argued with anyone even suggesting that lance is indeed an athlete, which is flat out stupid. It's a sport, he's an athlete, get over it. Or maybe the general population is stupid and you am smart. The way you're pimpin federer so hard, I hope that bitch has yo money. Either way, this is pointless and I'm done with it. Peace.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hey genius, that joke wasn't even directed at you. You're entitled to your opinion, noone ever questioned that. You on the other hand has repeatedly argued with anyone even suggesting that lance is indeed an athlete, which is flat out stupid. It's a sport, he's an athlete, get over it. Or maybe the general population is stupid and you am smart. The way you're pimpin federer so hard, I hope that bitch has yo money. Either way, this is pointless and I'm done with it. Peace.
Dude, seriously golf is a sport it does'nt mean that they're athletic. Plus I never said he was'nt an athlete, I just said he's not close to being one of the top athletes. That is not flat out stupid, its logical. And it is quite possible that the gen pop is stupid and that I am smart. And your right I do sweat Federer, probably never seen anyone as skilled as he is.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Read your above post and then this one. Both are by you. You did indeed say lance wasn't an athlete. BTW- I also don't think golfers are athletes- anything I can do drunk, I don't consider a sport(golf, darts, bowl, pool, etc.) At least we agree on that I guess.
Cycling just isn't athletic. What Lance did is amazing, but he is not really an athlete, it takes endurance only. Maybe Kobiashi is the best athlete, he completely dominates in food eating contests, I just don't consider him to be an athlete.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
haha don't worry.. I knew that anyway :D
it's all good :D
I guess you did'nt understand what I was saying either. It was obviously a joke, one in which he was implying that I said you'd have to be able to hit around with Federer in order to be the best athlete, which I never said or implied. Trying to make me look stupid(leaving myself wide open with that). Just calling him on some BS.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Read your above post and then this one. Both are by you. You did indeed say lance wasn't an athlete. BTW- I also don't think golfers are athletes- anything I can do drunk, I don't consider a sport(golf, darts, bowl, pool, etc.) At least we agree on that I guess.
I did'nt say he was'nt an athlete, I said he was'nt REALLY an athlete. I know, its getting bad. I did contradict myself a bit their. I do think he is an athlete, but not that much of one. To me endurance sports are not very athletic for the most part. I've been saying basically the same thing throughout the thread, that he is an athlete, but not a top athlete. I do feel that I am bad at debating, and get way too aggressive, which rightfully leads to people getting pissed at me. I have a "I know I'm right" vibe about me that I will have to work on. Peace.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
IMHO comparing athletes from one sport to athletes of another sport is like comparing apples to oranges. Different sports require different skills. If it's athleticism we're talking about than I'd have to say Julius Peppers would **** all over Roger Federer, if talking about which athlete is more dominant than I'd say Federer has the advantage. I also would never compare athletes from team sports with athletes from individual sports, there's just so many differences between the 2, I noticed this from football vs. shot put.

Best individual competitor = Lance Armstrong
Best team sport competitor = Tom Brady

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
To whoever hit me with neg reps for the golf comment- let me just say I was joking, not meaning to offend. Sarcasm is hard to convey in typing. Man I guess sports is a serious topic!:D

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I guess if your going strictly by definition it might be Adam Archuleta. That guy boasts like 4.3 40, 550 bench, all at 210lbs, but he does'nt perform even close to what his stats would lead you to believe.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Lance is a super athelete. He is the one of the fiercest warriors amongst us.

(Alex- I am so keeping myself from neg repping and telling you to eat doo-doo)

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and im sure everyone thinks he's "clean" too right!?!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Lance is a super athelete. He is the one of the fiercest warriors amongst us.

(Alex- I am so keeping myself from neg repping and telling you to eat doo-doo)
Neg rep me and tell me to eat doo-doo all you want. Just have a good reason for it. Lance is a fierce warrior, just not an extremely athletic one. If the thread were who's the greatest sportsman or something then maybe he should win. He can't jump high, run fast, lift explosively, etc compared to the top athletes out their. To add to that I don't see how he's very skilled either. I hold firm to my belief that most people that think Lance is the best athlete, are not good athletes themselves. Personally, I am fast, strong, skilled, have excellent balance, and its a slap in the face to say someone that is riding a bike, that does'nt take much of any of those is the best athlete in the world. Now jump off the bandwagon and take my points away joker. Its really unbelievable to me that not a single sole has sided with me on this, I guess thats what I get for posting on a bodybuilding site. Please answer this: Do you think bodybuilding or marathon running is extremely athletic?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
"Personally, I am fast, strong, skilled, have excellent balance, and its a slap in the face to say someone that is riding a bike, that does'nt take much of any of those is the best athlete in the world. "

I think you are 100% wrong. Lance is great for all those reasons you just listed. You are so wrong. Fast-- speeds of whop knows 50-60 mph. Try falling out of your car at that speed. (please, try it) Strong, ever try to ride a bike up mountain? Balance, ever seen them bitches take wet, fast corners? Appearently not. Skilled. Not going to even respond.

I don't know what traditional answer you are looking for, ie: Barry Sanders, Micheal Jordan, whatever. It is a combination of factors that makes them great. I am glad you are "Personally, I am fast, strong, skilled, have excellent balance, and its a slap in the face to say someone that is riding a bike, that does'nt take much of any of those is the best athlete in the world. "

But you are just looking to stir stuff up on the internet; or are really not bright.

AFOX

Awards
You can argue all day about who the greatest athletes are, but when you guys start ripping other sports is when you cross the line. All sports at those levels take skill and commitment beyond what most of us will ever understand. So just because you don't like or follow a certain sport does not mean you should disrespect it.
And I'm sorry Crowler, but to say that bodybuilding is 200% harder than triathlons and sports like those is a joke. Yeah, you train hard and diet strict in bodybuilding, but those endurance sports push the boundries of human capacity for pain.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
"Personally, I am fast, strong, skilled, have excellent balance, and its a slap in the face to say someone that is riding a bike, that does'nt take much of any of those is the best athlete in the world. "

I think you are 100% wrong. Lance is great for all those reasons you just listed. You are so wrong. Fast-- speeds of whop knows 50-60 mph. Try falling out of your car at that speed. (please, try it) Strong, ever try to ride a bike up mountain? Balance, ever seen them bitches take wet, fast corners? Appearently not. Skilled. Not going to even respond.

I don't know what traditional answer you are looking for, ie: Barry Sanders, Micheal Jordan, whatever. It is a combination of factors that makes them great. I am glad you are "Personally, I am fast, strong, skilled, have excellent balance, and its a slap in the face to say someone that is riding a bike, that does'nt take much of any of those is the best athlete in the world. "

But you are just looking to stir stuff up on the internet; or are really not bright.
I may be stubborn, but not bright, nah. You think cause he can ride a bike 50mph that makes him fast, negro please. Speed is measured in a 40 or 100 yard dash, not going down a hill on a ten speed. You think Lance could run a 40 fast, extremely doubtful. Yeah I've ridden up many steep hills, sure it takes a little strength, but mainly endurance. Cyclists weigh 140 pounds, you really think they have any type of strength? Balance you're right about. It takes a decent amount of balance to take those corners, but IMO a lot of other sports take far more balance. For skill, you did'nt say anything. I mean I understand it takes some type of skill to ride, but seriously not much. Do you really think it takes as much skill to ride a bike as it does to return a 140mph serve with crazy spin on it. I just don't see how. I'm not trying to stir up ****, just trying to speak the truth. Cycling is a sport people with less skill take up. They don't have the skill for B-ball, Football, Tennis, Soccer so they ride a bike cause almost anyone can do that decently. And for AFOX what do you mean when you start ripping other sports is when you cross the line? So every sport is considered to be equal, thats just loser talk. Of course some sports are easier then others, some take more of this, some take more of that. I understand damn well that cycling is very difficult and takes a lot of heart, just not a ton of athleticism. Do you think a marathon runner has similar athleticism to a basketball player? What I'm saying is really not ridiculous at all, its just not the mainstream thought I guess.

Ibanez

Awards
He's an olympic weightlifter from Greece, 4 time olympic medalist, 3 gold 1 bronze in the 85kg class.

AFOX

Awards
What I mean is that all sports that require skill and athletic ability should be respected, not ripped on by people who know nothing about the sport.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I think the disagreements on this thread are because some of you are arguing the question "who's the most dominant" and others are arguing the question of "who has the most overall athletic ability".

I would submit Armstrong as a contender for the first question, but not the second. I would nominate someone within the NFL or boxing or MMA for the second, but I'm not sure who specifically. Overall athleticism, seperate of sport specific skills, it's probably someone in the NFL.

Maybe it's the guy who wins the Olympic Decathalon every four years, they are point scored in ten events against the world record in each event.

As badass and unstoppable as Fedor is now, IMO, Karelin fifteen years ago with MMA training and experience would have been head and shoulders in ability above Fedor today, but that's certainly arguable, he was from a different era in a related and different sport.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think the disagreements on this thread are because some of you are arguing the question "who's the most dominant" and others are arguing the question of "who has the most overall athletic ability".

I would submit Armstrong as a contender for the first question, but not the second. I would nominate someone within the NFL or boxing or MMA for the second, but I'm not sure who specifically. Overall athleticism, seperate of sport specific skills, it's probably someone in the NFL.

Maybe it's the guy who wins the Olympic Decathalon every four years, they are point scored in ten events against the world record in each event.

As badass and unstoppable as Fedor is now, IMO, Karelin fifteen years ago with MMA training and experience would have been head and shoulders in ability above Fedor today, but that's arguable because we will never know.
You're exactly right. I know Lance is dominant and a badass, just not that athletic. Yeah Karelin was a freak of nature, I can't believe he lost to Rulon. I can't imagine him having as good stand-up as Fedor, but it probably would'nt matter. He'd be able to get Fedor down and control him. Like you said, we will never know. I'd love to see Rulon come back to Pride, and have Fedor redeem his countryman. Thank you for your post.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I saw Karelin in NY's LaGaurdia airport in 1989. He was walking down the concourse and the thing that I most noticed was how lithe his walk was, guy moved like a middleweight at around 270. I'm not often impressed by people's physicality, this guy did.

I suspect Karelin could have developed an excellent standup ability. My impression from watching him there and his matches, and seeing a video of him in his twenties standing and touching a 8 foot? chandelier above his head with his foot,leg just straight up like a dancer, damn. Guy had amazing flexibility for so large a man and Greco-Roman, unlike Freestyle, does'nt even use the lower body directly in the matches. I also suspect that a guy like that would'nt have to hit you very often, he could probably generate a Cro Cop and a half of knockout power in his strikes.

Rulan Gardener won his match with Karelin, but he did'nt beat him, Karelin DQ'd himself. To my mind, never beaten.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
You can argue all day about who the greatest athletes are, but when you guys start ripping other sports is when you cross the line. All sports at those levels take skill and commitment beyond what most of us will ever understand. So just because you don't like or follow a certain sport does not mean you should disrespect it.
And I'm sorry Crowler, but to say that bodybuilding is 200% harder than triathlons and sports like those is a joke. Yeah, you train hard and diet strict in bodybuilding, but those endurance sports push the boundries of human capacity for pain.
No need to be sorry Fox. Because you sound so sure of yourself and call it a joke, I take it you speak from experience. So what sort of triathlons have you completed Sprint, Olympic, 1/2, full ??? Or is it competitive bike racing you have done so you can compare the two??? What sort of bike racing track, road, crit???

CROWLER

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No need to be sorry Fox. Because you sound so sure of yourself and call it a joke, I take it you speak from experience. So what sort of triathlons have you completed Sprint, Olympic, 1/2, full ??? Or is it competitive bike racing you have done so you can compare the two??? What sort of bike racing track, road, crit???

CROWLER
Oh my god

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I saw Karelin in NY's LaGaurdia airport in 1989. He was walking down the concourse and the thing that I most noticed was how lithe his walk was, guy moved like a middleweight at around 270. I'm not often impressed by people's physicality, this guy did.

I suspect Karelin could have developed an excellent standup ability. My impression from watching him there and his matches, and seeing a video of him in his twenties standing and touching a 8:bow28: foot? chandelier above his head with his foot,leg just straight up like a dancer, damn. Guy had amazing flexibility for so large a man and Greco-Roman, unlike Freestyle, does'nt even use the lower body directly in the matches. I also suspect that a guy like that would'nt have to hit you very often, he could probably generate a Cro Cop and a half of knockout power in his strikes.

Rulan Gardener won his match with Karelin, but he did'nt beat him, Karelin DQ'd himself. To my mind, never beaten.
Just admit he lost. He would beat Rulon 999 times out of 1000, but he did lose. Anyways you're probably right about him being able to develop good stand-up, guy had so many talents. I read that he was an amazing Volleyball and Tennis player, thats hard to do at 270 pounds. I need to get some footage of him. I've only seen short clips of him, which were very impressive.

az2u

Awards
What amazed me about Karelin was the respect and fear his opponents displayed when competing against him. I remember watching him on tv compete in the Olympics years ago at the pinnacle of his career. Many of his opponents simply gave up so they wouldn't be subjected to a reverse body lift. Former Detroit Lions linebacker Chris Spillman use to have a shrine dedicated to Karelin.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
not today .. but in my lifetime i think its gotta be Bo Jackson .. possibly Deion Sanders

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
What amazed me about Karelin was the respect and fear his opponents displayed when competing against him. I remember watching him on tv compete in the Olympics years ago at the pinnacle of his career. Many of his opponents simply gave up so they wouldn't be subjected to a reverse body lift.
I dont know if Alexander the Great was the greatest athlete of all time, but I've played against and with Top Offensive linemen and Defensive Tackles that were 290 pounds, and very few glide on the balls of their feet as they walk and look like featured extras off the movie Underworld Evolution . Guy definetly got my attention and respect when I saw him.

Here's a clip of him doing the reverse body lift on 286 pound Matt Ghaffari at the 96 Atlanta Olympics.

http://www.karelin.ru/download/video/karelin-2.asf

How much strength does that akward positioning require? One badass Mfer. I would assume Marius Pud could do that too, but does he have cardio to go the rounds?

ericnb_98

Awards
Who do you think is the best athlete in the world? To me, Roger Federer is the best athlete in the world right now. He dominates his sport more then anyone has since Jordan. I feel he is already the best tennis player of all time, and he still has a long way to go. To go along with his ridiculous talent, he is humble, and has a great personality. Any tennis fans here? Please don't say KOBE!
Troy Polamalu Safety for the Steelers. He dominates the field.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ahhh, how could you say Silva when there's Fedor? I do love Silva though.

az2u

Awards
Ricky Carmichael aka the GOAT. Greatest Of All Time motocross rider.

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
I like how not a single person mentioned a baseball player in this whole thread. I f*king hate it when people call baseball players as athletic as football players.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I like how not a single person mentioned a baseball player in this whole thread. I f*king hate it when people call baseball players as athletic as football players.
I agree, there are exceptions, but for the most part it would be ridiculous to call baseball players as athletic as football players.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
best athlete in the world Bill hoyt. I think its bill, its the guy whos done many triathlons, bialthlons and marathons while pulling pushing and towing his 120lb disabled son along with him. best time at the boston marathon 30 mins slower than the WR but whilst pushing another man with him.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to go with Fedor. He has never lost a fight(I dont count the cut against TK bc he was hit w/ an illegal elbow in the opening minutes) in the most physically and mentally demanding sport in the world and not only is an elite MMAer, he also is an elite Sambo practitioner.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have to go with Fedor. He has never lost a fight(I dont count the cut against TK bc he was hit w/ an illegal elbow in the opening minutes) in the most physically and mentally demanding sport in the world and not only is an elite MMAer, he also is an elite Sambo practitioner.
Tough to argue with that, I certainly wouldn't.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
In the time this thread has been dormant, I have seen fedor fight quite a bit. I can't argue with the pick at all. The man is a machine!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was offered several D1 football scholarships outta high school for football but.....I choose baseball over football. I mean im good @ baseball. I'm looking at getting drafted this spring but.....I must say a good Baseball player is more athletic that a good football player.

I'm sorry anyone can run around and hit people but to hit a 90mph+ ball or one that breaks 2 feet and u only have .04sec to react and hit it. and do that 30% of the time.....well theres only a selct few and there names are in Cooperstown.

Im not takeing anything away from football players at all they are increadible gifted but and good MLB or minor league CF would be able to play as an NFL wide-out.....and some SS & Pitcher could be legit QB.

If i dont get drafted this spring ill be going to the 07' NFL combine....that'll be a good measureing stick ehh

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was offered several D1 football scholarships outta high school for football but.....I choose baseball over football. I mean im good @ baseball. I'm looking at getting drafted this spring but.....I must say a good Baseball player is more athletic that a good football player.

I'm sorry anyone can run around and hit people but to hit a 90mph+ ball or one that breaks 2 feet and u only have .04sec to react and hit it. and do that 30% of the time.....well theres only a selct few and there names are in Cooperstown.

Im not takeing anything away from football players at all they are increadible gifted but and good MLB or minor league CF would be able to play as an NFL wide-out.....and some SS & Pitcher could be legit QB.

If i dont get drafted this spring ill be going to the 07' NFL combine....that'll be a good measureing stick ehh
This is a hard subject to argue, as its all in your opinion of what athletic is, and how much emphasis you put on each category. To me, athleticism is speed, strength, endurance, and agility, but there should certainly be other criteria like reflexes, intelligence, and lots of other stuff that I'm leaving out that makes an athlete. Baseball players are very skilled, but with the exception of a handfull I don't see them being that athletic.