Best athlete in the world!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:clap2: Did you ever watch the Toughman Challenge on FX? LT and Matt Vasgersian were the commentators, but LT fought once or twice. He wasn't skilled and was old and out of shape, but he put some serious heart into it. I wanna say he fought Icky Woods, but I can't remember. Phil Baroni competed too, and as you might guess he tried to do a lot of illegal **** and was extremely obnoxious.
No, I wish I would have seen that now though..lol...I'm going searching!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ryan Leaf.

No - wait a minute - you said best, not the biggest failure of all time.

Nevermind then.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ryan Leaf.

No - wait a minute - you said best, not the biggest failure of all time.

Nevermind then.
That might make a decent thread "Most disappointing athlete in our era". All I can think of is Ricky Williams, but I'm sure there are far better options, Leaf is definitely up their.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That might make a decent thread "Most disappointing athlete in our era". All I can think of is Ricky Williams, but I'm sure there are far better options, Leaf is definitely up their.
Darko(NBA)
Patrick Stefan(NHL)
Alexander Daigle(NHL)
Ryan Leaf(NFL)
Kwame Brown(NBA)

I think historically the NBA and NHL are the most competent out of the major sports in terms of drafting. In specifically the modern era, I would give an edge to the NBA. Out of the past 20 years, 13 of the number one picks have gone on to produce considerably (Shaq, Larry Johnson, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Glenn Robinson, LeBJ, Dwight Howard, etc.,), though the NHL does come in a close second as the only real disappointments from that same time period are Daigle, Stefan, and you could make a case for DiPietro (not because he is horrible, just that he was EXTREMELY hyped)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Darko(NBA)
Patrick Stefan(NHL)
Alexander Daigle(NHL)
Ryan Leaf(NFL)
Kwame Brown(NBA)

I think historically the NBA and NHL are the most competent out of the major sports in terms of drafting. In specifically the modern era, I would give an edge to the NBA. Out of the past 20 years, 13 of the number one picks have gone on to produce considerably (Shaq, Larry Johnson, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Glenn Robinson, LeBJ, Dwight Howard, etc.,), though the NHL does come in a close second as the only real disappointments from that same time period are Daigle, Stefan, and you could make a case for DiPietro (not because he is horrible, just that he was EXTREMELY hyped)
Yea I think thats why these guys become the failures. Not because they are really that bad. They all contribute as average players. Except Leaf (who was awful) and Kwame(who i think is above average). But because of ALL the HYPE they get before the draft. In the NBA they expect the #1 pick to get 20 and 10 a nite, while in the NHL they need to be a 50 goals. The MLB & NFL have a much more relistic spin on the draft.....give them 3 years and then they'll be ready to contribute and be a great player.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Well being a browns fan I got a huge list of failures. Namely, 95% of our first picks since 99. Oh and let's not forget Mo Clarret.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
:clap2: Did you ever watch the Toughman Challenge on FX? LT and Matt Vasgersian were the commentators, but LT fought once or twice. He wasn't skilled and was old and out of shape, but he put some serious heart into it. I wanna say he fought Icky Woods, but I can't remember. Phil Baroni competed too, and as you might guess he tried to do a lot of illegal **** and was extremely obnoxious.
I DID See that it was AMAZING.

He was sort of the captain or coach of say the blue team. I think it was guys who had played on the same NFL team. He wasn't suppose to fight, infact he hadn't even trained. Then one of the guys on his team got hurt I think so he had to literally borrow another guys shoes and mouth gaurd. He fought and FREAKING won.

As I say it was awesome! Impressed the heck out of me.

CROWLER

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well being a browns fan I got a huge list of failures. Namely, 95% of our first picks since 99. Oh and let's not forget Mo Clarret.
Hey man I know how u feel. Im a Lions fan and with the #2 pick I think we should go with Calvin Johnson......lol. That would only make sense with Matt Millin.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I DID See that it was AMAZING.

He was sort of the captain or coach of say the blue team. I think it was guys who had played on the same NFL team. He wasn't suppose to fight, infact he hadn't even trained. Then one of the guys on his team got hurt I think so he had to literally borrow another guys shoes and mouth gaurd. He fought and FREAKING won.

As I say it was awesome! Impressed the heck out of me.

CROWLER
For some reason I remembered it being AFC vs NFC. Can you remember any of the NFL participants? I remember Anthony Munoz, Icky, LT, damn thats it. My memory sucks nowadays. Did you see Baroni gas against that tall Latin dude, and then he tried to go for takedowns and strikes on the ground:frustrate Do you remember Hardbody Harrison or those skinny ass redneck brothers, the Delantey's or something. That show was entertaining in many ways. LT stepping up to take that fight was legendary, most other ex stars would've declined for sure.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
1 on 1 no one can stop Kobe Bryant....only MJ himself
Yes, MJ would **** on Kobe. I must agree that Kobe is the man, and I'm actually starting to hate him less which I thought would never happen.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's Fedor Emelianenko IMHO. He participates in one of the toughest (if not the toughest) sport in the world, is one of the most dominant athletes around at the moment. A couple years ago I would have said Alexander Karelin. I believ e he is one of the greatest athletes of the last century.
I disagree with Fedor. He's a great athlete, but his brain wins a lot of his fights. He's always calm under stress and makes perfect split second decisions. I think Arlovski or GSP are better athlete's in the MMA world or obviously Tim Sylvia:twisted:.

Overall, I don't know. It's probably the top decathlon competitor. They have to have speed, strength, coordination, endurance, etc.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with Fedor. He's a great athlete, but his brain wins a lot of his fights. He's always calm under stress and makes perfect split second decisions. I think Arlovski or GSP are better athlete's in the MMA world or obviously Tim Sylvia:twisted:.

Overall, I don't know. It's probably the top decathlon competitor. They have to have speed, strength, coordination, endurance, etc.
And I thought I liked you. I'm telling the MMA forum guys on you:nono:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jas123 again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

The same could be said about MJ...the mental game is a talent as much, if not more than, as the physical game. Fedor is dominant in a multi-faceted sport and it is outlandish to say he is not that great of an athlete. He may not have the best physique or bounce on his feet like GSP or Arlovski, but I don't think that either of them are or ever will be as dominant as Fedor.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The same could be said about MJ...the mental game is a talent as much, if not more than, as the physical game. Fedor is dominant in a multi-faceted sport and it is outlandish to say he is not that great of an athlete. He may not have the best physique or bounce on his feet like GSP or Arlovski, but I don't think that either of them are or ever will be as dominant as Fedor.
I'm not looking at physique or completely disregarding the mental aspect of the sport. No doubt Fedor is the most dominant athlete in MMA ever at this point. When I consider who is the best athlete in the world, I tend to break it down to basics and also consider who would do well at all sorts of different sports and athetic contests. Would Fedor beat GSP at a 100 m run or 1500m run? I wouldn't count Fedor out, but I'd probably pick GSP. How well would Fedor do at Bball, soccer,..... given enough time playing the sport? How would he do at a decathlon, or triathlon? A strong man contest (this is AM, of course)?

I love Fedor and he puts his physical abilites together with his mental abilities and reaction speed to form the best package in MMA. When you ask who is the best athlete? I think of a guy that could pick up any sport or athletic contest and excel quickly after some training. Fedor would be towards the top in the MMA world, but probably not the top guy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not looking at physique or completely disregarding the mental aspect of the sport. No doubt Fedor is the most dominant athlete in MMA ever at this point. When I consider who is the best athlete in the world, I tend to break it down to basics and also consider who would do well at all sorts of different sports and athetic contests. Would Fedor beat GSP at a 100 m run or 1500m run? I wouldn't count Fedor out, but I'd probably pick GSP. How well would Fedor do at Bball, soccer,..... given enough time playing the sport? How would he do at a decathlon, or triathlon? A strong man contest (this is AM, of course)?

I love Fedor and he puts his physical abilites together with his mental abilities and reaction speed to form the best package in MMA. When you ask who is the best athlete? I think of a guy that could pick up any sport or athletic contest and excel quickly after some training. Fedor would be towards the top in the MMA world, but probably not the top guy.
He trains like a strongman, so I could see him excelling in that sport and he is also a world class Sambo guy. He would probably a hell of a goaltender because of his awesome reflexes and good lateral and foot movement. He just seems like one of those guys that will succeed at whatever he does.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe they are paying him 50mil a year. What is the average salary in MLS, probably 50grand a year.

AFOX

Awards
I had to bring this thread back up to give props to my man Micheal Phelps. What he is doing right now at the World Championship is crazy. Every time this guy hits the water world records are going down.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I had to bring this thread back up to give props to my man Micheal Phelps. What he is doing right now at the World Championship is crazy. Every time this guy hits the water world records are going down.
The guy is damn good at swimming. Apparently one of his teammates screwed him over in a relay? I kind of heard about it as I was half asleep.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Ronaldihno! Repping soccer sorry fella's doubt me? I'll show u videos...He's fast extremely strong and very agile along with coordination and intelligence. He just looks like a monkey but I mean.. who said anything about looks?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No need to show videos. I think anyone with a t.v. has seen him play at least a few times. He definitely deserves to be on a very short list of top athletes. His skills are insane.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
For sure. No doubtttttt he's not a whiny soccer player either he powers through tackles and doesn't act like a lil b*tch

I.E.
C.Ronaldo.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Ronaldihno doesn't seem like a b*tch at all. Seems like a really nice guy and down to earth. Which is quite a feat being that worldwide he's probably regarded as the best athlete. I mean soccer is just so huge, and he is the king. And yes, I don't care much for Cristiano Rinaldo, or any floppers/whiners.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
For sure. No doubtttttt he's not a whiny soccer player either he powers through tackles and doesn't act like a lil b*tch

I.E.
C.Ronaldo.
im reviving the thread...........

i think 9 out of 10 players/coachers would pick C Ronaldo in their team over Ronadinho these days. i dunno wether its cos he's playing for Barcelona and theres too much talent going around or what but he is an underachiever no doubt. C Ronaldo on the other hand is not. If it wasn't for him Man u would not have won last years premiership.

As for Federer well as much as i think the guy is an outstanding athlete he still hasn't won the French open yet which in my eyes makes all the difference. When he does that he can then be compared to Pistol Pete Sampras.

I'm surprised that some people have not mentioned certain sportsman (althete/sportsman.......is there really a difference). What about Michael Schumacher? 7 world championships in one of the most demanding sports in the world!

Ronnie Coleman? is he considered an athlete?

and Tiger Woods? Dominating golf like no one has ever done before.

Lance Armstrong no doubt is an amazing cyclist but besides the Tour de France did he compete in anything else? i dont no the answer but did he ever compete in sprints at the olympics or anything. it likes saying Michael Johnson is a better athlete then a marathon runner. Its not really a fair comparison. In terms of Olympic gold i would say Carl Lewis was the best athlete overall. i mean he won 9 golds correct?

in regards to the NFL players mentioned from an outsiders point of view (i've only watched portions of a game, couldn't stomach the hole thing) it seems like the sport is a waste of talent. I dont mean i dont like the sport but its seems that these guys who are 6'4 260lbs that can do 100m in high 10's or whatever are never used even to their full potential. Do football players not get frustrated that they never really get to wind up?

im gunna go with Schumacher. im a Formula one fan and he was so exciting to watch....dodgy and sometimes unsportsmanlike at times but still i like him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

i think 9 out of 10 players/coachers would pick C Ronaldo in their team over Ronadinho these days. i dunno wether its cos he's playing for Barcelona and theres too much talent going around or what but he is an underachiever no doubt. C Ronaldo on the other hand is not. If it wasn't for him Man u would not have won last years premiership.

As for Federer well as much as i think the guy is an outstanding athlete he still hasn't won the French open yet which in my eyes makes all the difference. When he does that he can then be compared to Pistol Pete Sampras.

I'm surprised that some people have not mentioned certain sportsman (althete/sportsman.......is there really a difference). What about Michael Schumacher? 7 world championships in one of the most demanding sports in the world!

Ronnie Coleman? is he considered an athlete?

and Tiger Woods? Dominating golf like no one has ever done before.

Lance Armstrong no doubt is an amazing cyclist but besides the Tour de France did he compete in anything else? i dont no the answer but did he ever compete in sprints at the olympics or anything. it likes saying Michael Johnson is a better athlete then a marathon runner. Its not really a fair comparison. In terms of Olympic gold i would say Carl Lewis was the best athlete overall. i mean he won 9 golds correct?

in regards to the NFL players mentioned from an outsiders point of view (i've only watched portions of a game, couldn't stomach the hole thing) it seems like the sport is a waste of talent. I dont mean i dont like the sport but its seems that these guys who are 6'4 260lbs that can do 100m in high 10's or whatever are never used even to their full potential. Do football players not get frustrated that they never really get to wind up?

im gunna go with Schumacher. im a Formula one fan and he was so exciting to watch....dodgy and sometimes unsportsmanlike at times but still i like him.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but Federer dominates tennis more than Tiger dominates golf. Tiger has openly admitted that, though they are pretty good friends. I don't know if Federer is the best athlete, but he is the most dominant in his sport currently and for the last 5 years. He can play at 80% and win grand slams. BTW Sampras never won a French either. Federer will win at least one before he retires. 2 finals in a row at the French for Federer, I don't think Sampras ever made a final and only one semi, not sure though. If you compare there careers, Federer is way ahead of where Sampras was at that age. If Federer plays another 2 years at the rate he's been playing he will go down as the best tennis player of all time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
While this was merely some biased conjecture on Pete's part, he said that Federer does not face the same kind of high quality opponents he did. Actually, I think I agree with that, and would even extend that to his dominance comparison with Tiger. Tiger often plays against multiple-major winners, does Federer? Not very often, he does not.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think there level of competition is equal, Federer just makes people look that bad, almost effortlessly. He can't play against major/grand slam winners, because he wins them all except for the French which Nadal owns. Both of them in there primes, Sampras would lose IMO. It's possible that Pete played against a slightly higher level of comp, but what Federer has done in the last 5 years is unreal. Hopefully there will be some up and comers to challenge Federer, besides Nadal and Djokovic. If he keeps winning 3 grand slams a year for 3-4 more years he has to go down as the best ever. All the old school greats like Laver, Bjorg, Mac, etc., believe Federer is already the best ever. A lot of that probably has to do with how graceful his game is. Nobody wants the best ever to be some powerhouse with no finesse, not that Pete was that.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Alex Rodriguez

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think there level of competition is equal, Federer just makes people look that bad, almost effortlessly. He can't play against major/grand slam winners, because he wins them all except for the French which Nadal owns. Both of them in there primes, Sampras would lose IMO. It's possible that Pete played against a slightly higher level of comp, but what Federer has done in the last 5 years is unreal. Hopefully there will be some up and comers to challenge Federer, besides Nadal and Djokovic. If he keeps winning 3 grand slams a year for 3-4 more years he has to go down as the best ever. All the old school greats like Laver, Bjorg, Mac, etc., believe Federer is already the best ever. A lot of that probably has to do with how graceful his game is. Nobody wants the best ever to be some powerhouse with no finesse, not that Pete was that.
I was making more reference towards a Tiger vs. Federer comparison as opposed to Sampras/Federer. I think it's undeniable that Tiger faces much more skilled relative competition than does Federer.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't know enough about golf to be able to judge that. I guess Federer just has Nadal, and now Djokovic as serious contenders. While Tiger has Phil, Ernie, Vijay, and a few others. It seems Ernie and Vijay have fallen off a bit, but I could be wrong.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I was making more reference towards a Tiger vs. Federer comparison as opposed to Sampras/Federer. I think it's undeniable that Tiger faces much more skilled relative competition than does Federer.
i know exactly what you mean. Sampras had Aggassi and a bunch of other superstars down his throat for a lot of his career. Federer doesn't really have players of that calibre playing against him on a weekly basis......or is that because Federer is just so much better then everyone esle?? Nadal and him are a class above the rest of the players. Some new guys need to come along quickly or else Fed will just continue to dominate.

As for baseball players well they don't compare to any of these guys really. Althogu they are skillfull at what they do i just dont think they get put under the same amount of pressure as other sports stars or need the same kind of talent it takes to dominate a sport.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Kelly Slater. Faces Death. Super-Human Agility, fexiblilty, and balance. Don't bother to comment unless you surf...hardest sport there is.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
hardest sport there is.
AGREED!! never felt my shoulders burn as much as they did when i tried to surf in Hawaii............oh my.......that coupled with trying to log a board around that weighed more then i did!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
For complete domination of a sport during their era, I'd go with Wilt Chamberlain in bball and Karelin in wrestling. If you consider skateboarding a sport, then maybe Tony Hawk (I don't follow it closely, though).

Don't follow tennis or golf.

hans39393

Awards
Best Athlete In The World

Ive thought for some time now that there should be a competition for this distinction. I doubt the winner will be someone famous. The best player isn't even in the game( mathematically speaking). The best athlete ive ever seen is a guy from Massachusetts, Steve Backus. Did the mile in 4 minutes, scored over 6000 points in decathlon, won state title in triple jump, won tennis tournaments, won bowling tournaments, threw a 90 mph fastball, par golfer. I think there should be a worldwide competition to establish the greatest athlete. The competition could be on a points basis. You could have a mile, a 100 meter, high jump, long jump, discus, three point shooting contest, singles tennis, bowling, football throwing contest for distance and accuracy, home run derby, bike race, 100 meter swim time, weight lifting and finish it with a marathon. Award points for number you finish in each contest....lowest points wins. Id bet you anything that the ultimate winner would not be a current famous athlete.....hans

Who do you think is the best athlete in the world? To me, Roger Federer is the best athlete in the world right now. He dominates his sport more then anyone has since Jordan. I feel he is already the best tennis player of all time, and he still has a long way to go. To go along with his ridiculous talent, he is humble, and has a great personality. Any tennis fans here? Please don't say KOBE!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Ive thought for some time now that there should be a competition for this distinction. I doubt the winner will be someone famous. The best player isn't even in the game( mathematically speaking). The best athlete ive ever seen is a guy from Massachusetts, Steve Backus. Did the mile in 4 minutes, scored over 6000 points in decathlon, won state title in triple jump, won tennis tournaments, won bowling tournaments, threw a 90 mph fastball, par golfer. I think there should be a worldwide competition to establish the greatest athlete. The competition could be on a points basis. You could have a mile, a 100 meter, high jump, long jump, discus, three point shooting contest, singles tennis, bowling, football throwing contest for distance and accuracy, home run derby, bike race, 100 meter swim time, weight lifting and finish it with a marathon. Award points for number you finish in each contest....lowest points wins. Id bet you anything that the ultimate winner would not be a current famous athlete.....hans
i think Lebron would fair quite well in that comp.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i hope u guys aren't classifying MMA fighters as best in world athletes....not even close. end of .

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

As for Federer well as much as i think the guy is an outstanding athlete he still hasn't won the French open yet which in my eyes makes all the difference. When he does that he can then be compared to Pistol Pete Sampras...

Ronnie Coleman? is he considered an athlete?...

Lance Armstrong no doubt is an amazing cyclist but besides the Tour de France did he compete in anything else? ...

In terms of Olympic gold i would say Carl Lewis was the best athlete overall. i mean he won 9 golds correct?..
You did succeed in reviving the thread.

I hesitate to compare Federer to Sampras. While Federer's achievements are fresher in our memories, it is easy to forget that Sampras successfully warded off competition from some of the best names in tennis history. He was, in a sense, first among equals of sorts. Try to name some of the legends in tennis and figure out how many of them played in the last five years. That should give one an idea of the competition Sampras faced versus that which Federer is facing.

Yes, Ronnie is an athlete. Generally, an athlete is an individual that has a sufficient amount of endurance, flexibility, and strength required for physical exercise, in particular as required in competitive situations.

I hope no one is seriously suggesting the best athlete in the world could be a Tour-de-France-level competitor. In my eyes, it is completely impossible to successfully participate in, not to mention dominate, an incredibly physically demanding competitive event like the Tour de France that lasts for several straight hours, days, and weeks, without resorting to the use of banned substances. Sometimes, one has the feeling that the Tour de France not only serves as an event to test innovative ways of applying new (definitely-to-be-banned) performance-aiding substances, but also a platform to see whose banned substance(s) is(are) most potent and capable of being applied without being discovered. That's a pity, though, as cycling should be a fine sport.

Carl Lewis should place among the best of the very best.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Talking about tennis players in a best athlete in the world thread makes as much sense as talking about Rosie O'Donnel in a hottest woman alive thread. :D

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
tenis involves a lot of diff skils. mma is brawling/wrestling. Skil is required but hardly at the level of tennis.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
tenis involves a lot of diff skils. mma is brawling/wrestling. Skil is required but hardly at the level of tennis.
WTF does MMA have to do with this? I was clearly making a joke above and you clearly dont get it.

Since you brought it up, if you honestly think tennis players have a more diversified and higher skill set than a fighter like Fedor or BJ Penn then you are completely delusional.