Best athlete in the world!

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
  1. Senior Member
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    744
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    70.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I saw Karelin in NY's LaGaurdia airport in 1989. He was walking down the concourse and the thing that I most noticed was how lithe his walk was, guy moved like a middleweight at around 270. I'm not often impressed by people's physicality, this guy did.

    I suspect Karelin could have developed an excellent standup ability. My impression from watching him there and his matches, and seeing a video of him in his twenties standing and touching a 8 foot? chandelier above his head with his foot,leg just straight up like a dancer, damn. Guy had amazing flexibility for so large a man and Greco-Roman, unlike Freestyle, does'nt even use the lower body directly in the matches. I also suspect that a guy like that would'nt have to hit you very often, he could probably generate a Cro Cop and a half of knockout power in his strikes.

    Rulan Gardener won his match with Karelin, but he did'nt beat him, Karelin DQ'd himself. To my mind, never beaten.

  2. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    CROWLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,545
    Rep Power
    4832
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    55.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AFOX
    You can argue all day about who the greatest athletes are, but when you guys start ripping other sports is when you cross the line. All sports at those levels take skill and commitment beyond what most of us will ever understand. So just because you don't like or follow a certain sport does not mean you should disrespect it.
    And I'm sorry Crowler, but to say that bodybuilding is 200% harder than triathlons and sports like those is a joke. Yeah, you train hard and diet strict in bodybuilding, but those endurance sports push the boundries of human capacity for pain.
    No need to be sorry Fox. Because you sound so sure of yourself and call it a joke, I take it you speak from experience. So what sort of triathlons have you completed Sprint, Olympic, 1/2, full ??? Or is it competitive bike racing you have done so you can compare the two??? What sort of bike racing track, road, crit???


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  3. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    No need to be sorry Fox. Because you sound so sure of yourself and call it a joke, I take it you speak from experience. So what sort of triathlons have you completed Sprint, Olympic, 1/2, full ??? Or is it competitive bike racing you have done so you can compare the two??? What sort of bike racing track, road, crit???


    CROWLER
    Oh my god
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    I saw Karelin in NY's LaGaurdia airport in 1989. He was walking down the concourse and the thing that I most noticed was how lithe his walk was, guy moved like a middleweight at around 270. I'm not often impressed by people's physicality, this guy did.

    I suspect Karelin could have developed an excellent standup ability. My impression from watching him there and his matches, and seeing a video of him in his twenties standing and touching a 8 foot? chandelier above his head with his foot,leg just straight up like a dancer, damn. Guy had amazing flexibility for so large a man and Greco-Roman, unlike Freestyle, does'nt even use the lower body directly in the matches. I also suspect that a guy like that would'nt have to hit you very often, he could probably generate a Cro Cop and a half of knockout power in his strikes.

    Rulan Gardener won his match with Karelin, but he did'nt beat him, Karelin DQ'd himself. To my mind, never beaten.
    Just admit he lost. He would beat Rulon 999 times out of 1000, but he did lose. Anyways you're probably right about him being able to develop good stand-up, guy had so many talents. I read that he was an amazing Volleyball and Tennis player, thats hard to do at 270 pounds. I need to get some footage of him. I've only seen short clips of him, which were very impressive.
  5. New Member
    az2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    49
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    169
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    94.63%

    What amazed me about Karelin was the respect and fear his opponents displayed when competing against him. I remember watching him on tv compete in the Olympics years ago at the pinnacle of his career. Many of his opponents simply gave up so they wouldn't be subjected to a reverse body lift. Former Detroit Lions linebacker Chris Spillman use to have a shrine dedicated to Karelin.
  6. Registered User
    glenihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,679
    Rep Power
    1966
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    6.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    not today .. but in my lifetime i think its gotta be Bo Jackson .. possibly Deion Sanders
  7. Senior Member
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    744
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    70.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by az2u
    What amazed me about Karelin was the respect and fear his opponents displayed when competing against him. I remember watching him on tv compete in the Olympics years ago at the pinnacle of his career. Many of his opponents simply gave up so they wouldn't be subjected to a reverse body lift.
    I dont know if Alexander the Great was the greatest athlete of all time, but I've played against and with Top Offensive linemen and Defensive Tackles that were 290 pounds, and very few glide on the balls of their feet as they walk and look like featured extras off the movie Underworld Evolution . Guy definetly got my attention and respect when I saw him.

    Here's a clip of him doing the reverse body lift on 286 pound Matt Ghaffari at the 96 Atlanta Olympics.

    http://www.karelin.ru/download/video/karelin-2.asf

    How much strength does that akward positioning require? One badass Mfer. I would assume Marius Pud could do that too, but does he have cardio to go the rounds?
  8. Registered User
    ericnb_98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    52
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    191
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    33.64%

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Who do you think is the best athlete in the world? To me, Roger Federer is the best athlete in the world right now. He dominates his sport more then anyone has since Jordan. I feel he is already the best tennis player of all time, and he still has a long way to go. To go along with his ridiculous talent, he is humble, and has a great personality. Any tennis fans here? Please don't say KOBE!
    Troy Polamalu Safety for the Steelers. He dominates the field.
  9. New Member
    Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    401
    Rep Power
    306
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    59.94%

    Silva Pride Fighter.

    Also a vote for troy
  10. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Ahhh, how could you say Silva when there's Fedor? I do love Silva though.
  11. New Member
    az2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    49
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    169
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    94.63%

    Ricky Carmichael aka the GOAT. Greatest Of All Time motocross rider.
  12. Registered User
    NYhomeboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    301
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    7.63%

    I like how not a single person mentioned a baseball player in this whole thread. I f*king hate it when people call baseball players as athletic as football players.
  13. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by NYhomeboy
    I like how not a single person mentioned a baseball player in this whole thread. I f*king hate it when people call baseball players as athletic as football players.
    I agree, there are exceptions, but for the most part it would be ridiculous to call baseball players as athletic as football players.
  14. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    best athlete in the world Bill hoyt. I think its bill, its the guy whos done many triathlons, bialthlons and marathons while pulling pushing and towing his 120lb disabled son along with him. best time at the boston marathon 30 mins slower than the WR but whilst pushing another man with him.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I have to go with Fedor. He has never lost a fight(I dont count the cut against TK bc he was hit w/ an illegal elbow in the opening minutes) in the most physically and mentally demanding sport in the world and not only is an elite MMAer, he also is an elite Sambo practitioner.
  16. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    I have to go with Fedor. He has never lost a fight(I dont count the cut against TK bc he was hit w/ an illegal elbow in the opening minutes) in the most physically and mentally demanding sport in the world and not only is an elite MMAer, he also is an elite Sambo practitioner.
    Tough to argue with that, I certainly wouldn't.
  17. Senior Member
    jarhead's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    820
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    12.45%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    In the time this thread has been dormant, I have seen fedor fight quite a bit. I can't argue with the pick at all. The man is a machine!
  18. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,842
    Rep Power
    2485579
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    88.95%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by NYhomeboy
    I like how not a single person mentioned a baseball player in this whole thread. I f*king hate it when people call baseball players as athletic as football players.
    I was offered several D1 football scholarships outta high school for football but.....I choose baseball over football. I mean im good @ baseball. I'm looking at getting drafted this spring but.....I must say a good Baseball player is more athletic that a good football player.

    I'm sorry anyone can run around and hit people but to hit a 90mph+ ball or one that breaks 2 feet and u only have .04sec to react and hit it. and do that 30% of the time.....well theres only a selct few and there names are in Cooperstown.

    Im not takeing anything away from football players at all they are increadible gifted but and good MLB or minor league CF would be able to play as an NFL wide-out.....and some SS & Pitcher could be legit QB.

    If i dont get drafted this spring ill be going to the 07' NFL combine....that'll be a good measureing stick ehh
  19. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water
    I was offered several D1 football scholarships outta high school for football but.....I choose baseball over football. I mean im good @ baseball. I'm looking at getting drafted this spring but.....I must say a good Baseball player is more athletic that a good football player.

    I'm sorry anyone can run around and hit people but to hit a 90mph+ ball or one that breaks 2 feet and u only have .04sec to react and hit it. and do that 30% of the time.....well theres only a selct few and there names are in Cooperstown.

    Im not takeing anything away from football players at all they are increadible gifted but and good MLB or minor league CF would be able to play as an NFL wide-out.....and some SS & Pitcher could be legit QB.

    If i dont get drafted this spring ill be going to the 07' NFL combine....that'll be a good measureing stick ehh
    This is a hard subject to argue, as its all in your opinion of what athletic is, and how much emphasis you put on each category. To me, athleticism is speed, strength, endurance, and agility, but there should certainly be other criteria like reflexes, intelligence, and lots of other stuff that I'm leaving out that makes an athlete. Baseball players are very skilled, but with the exception of a handfull I don't see them being that athletic.
  20. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    557
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    1.77%

    Sidney Crosby.


    cc
  21. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Well i have this discussion over music all the time. My friends say heavy metal is the best music due to the speed and complexity of the music. Whereas i dont like speed and complexity when im listeneing to music.
    In terms of an athletei guess the only way to form any resolution youd have to categorize several catergories of athlete.

    1. toughest fighter - fedro emelenkovich
    2. Best endurance athlete- lance armstrong
    3. FAstest athlete- ?
    4. Most skilled- bruce lee
    5. tougest beard- chuck norris
    6. Most dedeicated-?
    M.V.P- ?

    Then have the best overall, the person who embodies most or all of the outlined qualities. I wouldnt pick any baseball players not because they arent amazing athletes but because their sport doesnt IMo provide sufficient medium to reflect those abilities.

    I havent heard any hockey players mentioned, before you count them out lets look at the facts.

    Controlling an abject with your hands directly is easier IMO than using an object to controll antother, there are way more variables, eg hockey, golf, baseball more difficult than football, soccer, basketball. Not as a whole but in terms of throwing, shooting, kicking..... not to mention other playrs have a weapon to poke, pull, push, slash you with 24/7.

    physicallity- hockey players hit eachother at insane speeds and have nothing soft to fall on (boards, ice) They hit, fight, and block 100mph shots.

    Career length- some players last more than two decades, and are no wilting violets at 40+ years old.

    Balance- runing on grass (soccer football baseball) is IMO easier and more natural than skating on thin blades of steel 3 inches above tha ground. It completely changes physical dynamics of movement since you are now abovce the ground.

    Length of activity- games go indefinetely in the playoffs and some players have 6 30 sec shifts in a game but onthers spend half the time on the ice ie. pronger, phaneuf....

    now factor in the fact that some athletes are team players and others are in individual sport they cannot be compared acurately.
  22. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    557
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    1.77%

    Good post... actually, my impetus for suggesting Crosby was for someone to refute so I can bring up the very points that you did. Hockey is likely the most difficult (or atleast ONE of the) sport that requires the most skill.
    cc

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted
    I havent heard any hockey players mentioned, before you count them out lets look at the facts.

    Controlling an abject with your hands directly is easier IMO than using an object to controll antother, there are way more variables, eg hockey, golf, baseball more difficult than football, soccer, basketball. Not as a whole but in terms of throwing, shooting, kicking..... not to mention other playrs have a weapon to poke, pull, push, slash you with 24/7.

    physicallity- hockey players hit eachother at insane speeds and have nothing soft to fall on (boards, ice) They hit, fight, and block 100mph shots.

    Career length- some players last more than two decades, and are no wilting violets at 40+ years old.

    Balance- runing on grass (soccer football baseball) is IMO easier and more natural than skating on thin blades of steel 3 inches above tha ground. It completely changes physical dynamics of movement since you are now abovce the ground.

    Length of activity- games go indefinetely in the playoffs and some players have 6 30 sec shifts in a game but onthers spend half the time on the ice ie. pronger, phaneuf....

    now factor in the fact that some athletes are team players and others are in individual sport they cannot be compared acurately.
  23. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    Good post... actually, my impetus for suggesting Crosby was for someone to refute so I can bring up the very points that you did. Hockey is likely the most difficult (or atleast ONE of the) sport that requires the most skill.
    cc
    well im not sure about hockey being the most dificult, due to my ignorance of other sports, its hard to have a good opinion of somthing youve never done. But i have played hockey, baseball, rugby, football, golf, MMA so i have opinions about them. For all we know theres some guy in his basement lifting 500 lbs with his balls and breaking cinder blocks with his hammer.
  24. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    557
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    1.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted
    well im not sure about hockey being the most dificult, due to my ignorance of other sports, its hard to have a good opinion of somthing youve never done. But i have played hockey, baseball, rugby, football, golf, MMA so i have opinions about them. For all we know theres some guy in his basement lifting 500 lbs with his balls and breaking cinder blocks with his hammer.
    I meant difficult in terms of skill required... hockey is comprised of so many 'unatural' simultaenous movements. It's like soccer.... only you are not running, you are on skates, you dont use your feet, you use a stick, and there is always the threat of being crushed by some bohemoth and not being glanced by an emacaited 150lbs soccer player.

    I think you get my drift.

    ahaha, your comment reminded me of the Kenny vs. Spenny episode where they tried to see who could lift the most weight with their penises.

    cc
  25. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    I meant difficult in terms of skill required... hockey is comprised of so many 'unatural' simultaenous movements. It's like soccer.... only you are not running, you are on skates, you dont use your feet, you use a stick, and there is always the threat of being crushed by some bohemoth and not being glanced by an emacaited 150lbs soccer player.

    I think you get my drift.

    ahaha, your comment reminded me of the Kenny vs. Spenny episode where they tried to see who could lift the most weight with their penises.

    cc
    I love how kenny always cheats, ie foam bricks. Yeah dude were on the same page here. FEw of the most awkward sports snowboarding and wake boarding, humans moving sideways WTF and sideways on water WTF when your learing your body is like ok stand facing forward. Hey rugby should be near the top its like a bone cruching marathon 45 minute halfs, run, hit, be hit, be hit, be crushed, have 5 250lb men on your face, get lifted in the air and dropped, hit, run, push and after drinking and singing all night before. Ive played 5 games in a day then wake up with 2 hours sleep and play 4 more all the time drinking in the sun, its INSANE. Im not a big drinker but alot of guys baffle me how they still stand.
  26. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    557
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    1.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted
    I love how kenny always cheats, ie foam bricks. Yeah dude were on the same page here. FEw of the most awkward sports snowboarding and wake boarding, humans moving sideways WTF and sideways on water WTF when your learing your body is like ok stand facing forward. Hey rugby should be near the top its like a bone cruching marathon 45 minute halfs, run, hit, be hit, be hit, be crushed, have 5 250lb men on your face, get lifted in the air and dropped, hit, run, push and after drinking and singing all night before. Ive played 5 games in a day then wake up with 2 hours sleep and play 4 more all the time drinking in the sun, its INSANE. Im not a big drinker but alot of guys baffle me how they still stand.
    hahah man i was laughing till the tears flowed when spenny shouted "my balls! MY BALLS!!! THEY WENT UP INSIDE!!" When he was trying to lift the flashlight. hahha he always screams like a little *****.

    About rugby, it is a mean game. I just think that hockey is in a league of its own mainly due to the skating. It's a completely unnatural motion that is the method of movement... most other sports utilize running which is 100% natural.

    As for wakeboarding and snowboarding, I consider them in the same category as Golf. While they are great sports, and they are sports IMO, you are playing more against yourself than opponents... ie, your opponents cant directly affect your performance. I also believe that this element lifts a sport to another level.

    cc
  27. Banned
    800mrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    91.95%

    one of my buddies thats a baseball player at my school said, "baseball is the only sport you can be out of shape and still do well in other than golf." he's a starter at a d1 school in the big12.

    baseball is: who can hit the most balls, pitch the best, or catch the most balls....awesome, but i rather see who can break the most running yards in a game doing trick plays and the like. or a runner shooting for the world record. a 4x4 team battling out in the last 100 meters of a race....thats athletic capability. yet the baseball players still seem very athletic in the eyes of many...

    love baseball, but dont think there in the upper level of athletic performance.
  28. New Member
    AFOX's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    44
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    83.64%

    Another athlete you have to throw into the mix is swimmer Micheal Phelps. He has been a pro and setting world records since he was 15. He has won Gold in many different events and won over 25 national titles. He is also a multi- millionare, which is impressive in a sport that only gets attention ever 4 years. He is a freak of nature in this sport. most swimmers specialize in only one or two events, but he can swim them all. He makes Mark Spitz look like a joke. Swimming is one of the hardest sports in the world, and combines speed, endurence and skill. He consumes over 10,000 calories a day and is 6'4 190 and ripped to the bone. He also beat out Lebron James for athlete of the year when Lebron was a senior in high school.
  29. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Swimming is one of the hardest sports in the world, but IMO not one of the most athletic by a long stretch. It doesn't take much speed or skill, its mostly endurance and a ton of endurance at that. Its who has the most heart more than anything else. I also highly doubt he consumes 10,000 cals a day, and IMO he is not ripped to the bone, looks like a pretty average guy. Not that looks mean **** anyways.
  30. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted
    Well i have this discussion over music all the time. My friends say heavy metal is the best music due to the speed and complexity of the music. Whereas i dont like speed and complexity when im listeneing to music.
    In terms of an athletei guess the only way to form any resolution youd have to categorize several catergories of athlete.

    1. toughest fighter - fedro emelenkovich
    2. Best endurance athlete- lance armstrong
    3. FAstest athlete- ?
    4. Most skilled- bruce lee
    5. tougest beard- chuck norris
    6. Most dedeicated-?
    M.V.P- ?

    Then have the best overall, the person who embodies most or all of the outlined qualities. I wouldnt pick any baseball players not because they arent amazing athletes but because their sport doesnt IMo provide sufficient medium to reflect those abilities.

    I havent heard any hockey players mentioned, before you count them out lets look at the facts.

    Controlling an abject with your hands directly is easier IMO than using an object to controll antother, there are way more variables, eg hockey, golf, baseball more difficult than football, soccer, basketball. Not as a whole but in terms of throwing, shooting, kicking..... not to mention other playrs have a weapon to poke, pull, push, slash you with 24/7.

    physicallity- hockey players hit eachother at insane speeds and have nothing soft to fall on (boards, ice) They hit, fight, and block 100mph shots.

    Career length- some players last more than two decades, and are no wilting violets at 40+ years old.

    Balance- runing on grass (soccer football baseball) is IMO easier and more natural than skating on thin blades of steel 3 inches above tha ground. It completely changes physical dynamics of movement since you are now abovce the ground.

    Length of activity- games go indefinetely in the playoffs and some players have 6 30 sec shifts in a game but onthers spend half the time on the ice ie. pronger, phaneuf....

    now factor in the fact that some athletes are team players and others are in individual sport they cannot be compared acurately.
    I respect your post and agree Hockey is up their as far as athleticism, but LOL at Fedro Emelenkovich. Oh, and Bruce Lee is the most skilled at what?, acting I hope.
  31. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Yeah i never spell his name right, not even guys i know . I guess it all boils down to one thing, we all think different sports are harder or more challenging. Im just thinkning about how to make it work as we'll never really see eye to eye but we can try to find some common ground. I think bruce lee was an amazingly charismatic man and thought he deserved honorable mention along side chuck norris.
  32. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,842
    Rep Power
    2485579
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    88.95%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by 800mrunner
    one of my buddies thats a baseball player at my school said, "baseball is the only sport you can be out of shape and still do well in other than golf." he's a starter at a d1 school in the big12.

    baseball is: who can hit the most balls, pitch the best, or catch the most balls....awesome, but i rather see who can break the most running yards in a game doing trick plays and the like. or a runner shooting for the world record. a 4x4 team battling out in the last 100 meters of a race....thats athletic capability. yet the baseball players still seem very athletic in the eyes of many...

    love baseball, but dont think there in the upper level of athletic performance.
    Bo Jackson........He was an outstanding football and marginaly above average baseball player.
    Look im not saying that all baseball players are athletic...look im not even saying that 30% of all baseball players are great athletes. What im saying is that guys that are stealing 30+ bases a year and hitting 30+ HR and winning gold gloves are the ones that are the best "athletes".

    NFL FB ARE NOT ATHLETES!!!!!! They are just bull-dozers who are marginaly fast. Im sorry but anyone can run around as fast as they can with pads on and hit people. Hell my grandma can run around and hit things. I feel the only athletes in the NFL are some RB, WR... Mike Vick and a few other QB's. Theres the occasional other positional player who is somewhat athletic.

    I have a numebr of friends on D1 and D2 football teams, watching some of the non-skilled position players throw a football or play basketball reminds me of JV High School girl throwing or b-balling.

    I give props to whoever said most hockey players are exceptinal althletes
  33. New Member
    AFOX's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    44
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    83.64%

    QUOTE=Alexander]Swimming is one of the hardest sports in the world, but IMO not one of the most athletic by a long stretch. It doesn't take much speed or skill, its mostly endurance and a ton of endurance at that. Its who has the most heart more than anything else. I also highly doubt he consumes 10,000 cals a day, and IMO he is not ripped to the bone, looks like a pretty average guy. Not that looks mean **** anyways.[/QUOTE

    Not much speed or skill, you are crazy. To master the strokes takes a ton of skill. If you don't believe me go to your local pool and try to swim butterfly. Not only will you look a member of the special olympics, you will puke your guts out after a few lenghts of the pool. And as far as speed goes the 50 and 100 is all fast twitch muscle. Read his book and he breaks down what he eats, and 10,000 is about right. He swims 4 hours a day and logs over 15,000 yards a day. You are very uneducated on what it takes to be an Olympic swimmer. He is for sure one of the best athletes in the world IMO.
  34. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AFOX
    QUOTE=Alexander]Swimming is one of the hardest sports in the world, but IMO not one of the most athletic by a long stretch. It doesn't take much speed or skill, its mostly endurance and a ton of endurance at that. Its who has the most heart more than anything else. I also highly doubt he consumes 10,000 cals a day, and IMO he is not ripped to the bone, looks like a pretty average guy. Not that looks mean **** anyways.[/QUOTE

    Not much speed or skill, you are crazy. To master the strokes takes a ton of skill. If you don't believe me go to your local pool and try to swim butterfly. Not only will you look a member of the special olympics, you will puke your guts out after a few lenghts of the pool. And as far as speed goes the 50 and 100 is all fast twitch muscle. Read his book and he breaks down what he eats, and 10,000 is about right. He swims 4 hours a day and logs over 15,000 yards a day. You are very uneducated on what it takes to be an Olympic swimmer. He is for sure one of the best athletes in the world IMO.
    A couple nice insults thrown in as usual, its expected. Anyways, I disagree with everything you say. Swimming is extremely basic and compared to other sports it does not take much speed or skill. We disagree its no big deal.
  35. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    21.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I think being the "best" in terms of an athlete is best measure by dominance in the time/space of the event.

    Edwin Moses a 400 meter high hurdler, raced for ten years without being beat in his event!!!( 3 olympic golds and 10 world championships!) He not only held the record for fastest time in his event, held the top ten fastest times ever recorded at one point!!!

    Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominent player in the history of team sports. He was unstoppable!!! He accumulated seasons of averaging 50 points per game when the league average was 20!!!!

    He averaged 30 rebounds a game when the league average was 10!!

    He was so good that he had no competition. Bill Russell was not even close to matching him statistically in their head to head match ups. Chamberlain was a kind hearted man who did not want to dominate his friends. Bill Russell realised this and made sure that he became his friend. Russell was a true champion because he only played to win. Chamberlain played to play. When you watch old film of Chambelain's games it looks like he's not even trying, like he's toying with his little brother(even Russell)

    Today I would go with Federer he is flawless, which can be quite boring

    Team sports is up for grabs..I'll give it T Owens just to piss people off!(hahah)
  36. Advanced Member
    brass monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    881
    Rep Power
    539
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    18.76%

    most of those bulldozers are exceptional athletes.
  37. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    How about 1-5 points in the following:speed,strength,endur ance,agility,skill,dominance in particular sport for a total of up to 30 points. Sound fair, yeah I didn't think so. Rogue, you are right we will never come to an even consensus, but it's fun to debate. I'm really not trying to be a ****, but I don't understand how someone can think an endurance athlete is the best overall athlete, but to each their own.
  38. New Member
    AFOX's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    44
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    83.64%

    I was not trying to insult you Alexander. But, your comments on swimming are way off. To master swimming you have to be skilled. You can have all the heart in the world, but skillfull strokes are the name of the game. Micheal Phelps has spent most of his life develpoping his strokes. Swimmers spend hours doing drills for their strokes. And you say that does not take skill? I spent 12 years coaching club level swimming, so belive me it takes a ton of skill. And as far as speed goes, why do you think they call the 50 free the splash and dash? Because it is a sprint and that means speed.It is just like the 100 meters in track, except they are using their upper body as well as their legs. Gary Hall Jr is not a endurence athlete, he is a sprinter. The only swimmers that are endurence athletes are called distance swimmers. So next time , before making comments about a sport you no nothing about, you should do a little research. Let me see, Micheal Phelps has skill, speed, endurence and is the most dominate swimmer in history. Yeah, I would say that according to your criteria, he is one of the best athletes in the world. If you ask me I would say basketball players are the best athletes in the world.
  39. New Member
    AFOX's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    44
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    83.64%

    Your right Rogue, the decathalon has always been the measure of the worlds " Greatest Athlete "
  40. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AFOX
    I was not trying to insult you Alexander. But, your comments on swimming are way off. To master swimming you have to be skilled. You can have all the heart in the world, but skillfull strokes are the name of the game. Micheal Phelps has spent most of his life develpoping his strokes. Swimmers spend hours doing drills for their strokes. And you say that does not take skill? I spent 12 years coaching club level swimming, so belive me it takes a ton of skill. And as far as speed goes, why do you think they call the 50 free the splash and dash? Because it is a sprint and that means speed.It is just like the 100 meters in track, except they are using their upper body as well as their legs. Gary Hall Jr is not a endurence athlete, he is a sprinter. The only swimmers that are endurence athletes are called distance swimmers. So next time , before making comments about a sport you no nothing about, you should do a little research. Let me see, Micheal Phelps has skill, speed, endurence and is the most dominate swimmer in history. Yeah, I would say that according to your criteria, he is one of the best athletes in the world. If you ask me I would say basketball players are the best athletes in the world.
    I wasn't referring to Phelps or Hall Jr when I made the comment on endurance athletes. Although some swimming events take more endurance then anything else. I was referring to Lance Armstrong, who most people in this thread said was the best athlete. And based on my criteria Phelps would score: speed-3, strength-2,endurance-4, skill-3, agility-3, dominance-5, for an overall score of 20. Now I'll go with Fedor: speed-4, strength-4, endurance-4, skill-4, agility-4, dominance-5, for an overall score of 25, just my opinion. I'm sure you would score it completely differently. I know swimming takes some level of skill but to me its not even close to other sports. MMA fighters have to learn and perfect such a variety of skills, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, muay-thai, there are so many skills wrapped up in their. Where a swimmer has to perfect a few strokes. Let me know what you think, not trying to p*ss you off.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Orotine - The Best Tested Creatine in the World!!
    By Clickster in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
  2. THE BEST FRENCH TOAST IN THE WORLD
    By cmc in forum Recipes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
  3. The best fighter in the world
    By robdog in forum MMA
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 06:46 PM
  4. best addition in the world (shakes)
    By drummaboyzl in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
  5. BEST jobs in the world, post your fav.
    By somewhatgifted in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 02:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in