Best athlete in the world!

Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer
    youre telling me climbing those hills in france doesn't take strength?

    and going down them and around those sharp turns doesn't require agility?

    to quote you "You obviously know nothing about athletics" or cycling for that matter.
    I feel there is a good chance most, not all, of the people in this thread saying cycling takes strenght and agility are piss poor athletes themselves. And no, I don't think riding a bike up a hill takes strength, or going around a sharp turn takes agility. Hell no. Just about anyone could ride up those hills and around the turns, its just that everyone would gas before Lance. Now I'd really like to see your average joe try to hit around with Federer.


  2. Look, I was joking around in response to your lance is not an athlete argument, which is as ludricrous as saying all tennis players are gay. That was my point. You may have been riding a bike since you were a kid, but not at an elite level, which is different and requires different skills. Alot of guys have been playing tennis since they were kids. By your logic that makes them on par with Federer?
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    I feel there is a good chance most, not all, of the people in this thread saying cycling takes strenght and agility are piss poor athletes themselves. And no, I don't think riding a bike up a hill takes strength, or going around a sharp turn takes agility. Hell no. Just about anyone could ride up those hills and around the turns, its just that everyone would gas before Lance. Now I'd really like to see your average joe try to hit around with Federer.
    So how is the weather in Bizarro world?

  4. Please be honest with yourselves. You could rationalize that anything takes SOME amount of athleticism, but cycling is just an endurance sport, period. Oh someone has neg repped me, and that hurts me.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by jarhead
    Look, I was joking around in response to your lance is not an athlete argument, which is as ludricrous as saying all tennis players are gay. That was my point. You may have been riding a bike since you were a kid, but not at an elite level, which is different and requires different skills. Alot of guys have been playing tennis since they were kids. By your logic that makes them on par with Federer?
    I don't think Lance is not an athlete, hes just not even remotely close to being one of the top athletes. I did'nt say I rode at an elite level, I'm just saying I have a pretty damn good idea what cycling is about, I do. As well as a pretty good idea of what tennis is about(played throughout HS, won states twice). I was'nt saying I'm on par with Lance at all, I was saying I know what the sport entails. So not really a good comparison.
    •   
       


  6. Michael Johnson...
    he worked his ass off, but had amazing talent to go with it. (holds 400 record and 200) the 200 record 19.32 and a 400 of 43.18....i wish i could have seen these races. No other sprinter has done well in both the 400 and 200 like he has...


    i think lance is amazing. he has 0! fast twitch fibers (which helps endurence) but he has worked his butt off like no other, and has, in my mind been blessed. he was not Always that great. but than again no one is when they start something.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by jarhead
    So how is the weather in Bizarro world?
    Its not bad, whats it like living in fantasyland where Lance Armstrong is the best athlete, and 5 time marathon runner bogatu modishu is a close second(marathon guy is fictional). The sport is just too one dimensional to have the best athlete come out of it.

  8. "I don't think Lance is not an athlete, hes just not even remotely close to being one of the top athletes. I did'nt say I rode at an elite level, I'm just saying I have a pretty damn good idea what cycling is about, I do. As well as a pretty good idea of what tennis is about(played throughout HS, won states twice). I was'nt saying I'm on par with Lance at all, I was saying I know what the sport entails. So not really a good comparison."


    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    I feel there is a good chance most, not all, of the people in this thread saying cycling takes strenght and agility are piss poor athletes themselves. And no, I don't think riding a bike up a hill takes strength, or going around a sharp turn takes agility. Hell no. Just about anyone could ride up those hills and around the turns, its just that everyone would gas before Lance. Now I'd really like to see your average joe try to hit around with Federer.
    You did say this b.s. above correct? You're just contradicting yourself over and over. I'm done with this. Besides I'm sure you probably have to polish your high school state champ trophies.

  9. tj duckett is the best athlete in the world - if you say otherwise then u soft



    actually I think Julius Peppers might be the best in the world.. I know, hes not even the best at his sport or position but he'd beat Lance Armstrong in basketball. otherwise I'll take Lance as best athlete - he's pretty good at cycling

    lance is the best in his sport, whether he's a true athlete well thats up to you..
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com

  10. T.J. Duckett could not hit around Federer, he can't be the best athlete.

  11. mariuz pudzianowski (Spelling?) Just to diver attention from lance and federer

  12. Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted
    mariuz pudzianowski (Spelling?) Just to diver attention from lance and federer
    Yeah he is an absolute freak! Definitely dominating his sport.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by jarhead
    T.J. Duckett could not hit around Federer, he can't be the best athlete.
    hahah Duckett playing tennis
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com

  14. Hey 400runner I see you reading this thread. I would have to say if biking takes no skills or athleticism then heck running the 400 has to be even easier and running the 800 pft you can call that one in via cel phone I mean come on all you are doing is running. BWAHAHAHAHA j/k but am trying to make a point.

    Well I guess Alexander knows better than the rest of us AND the Associated Press AND ESPN they too are confused what it mens to be an athlete

    Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005
    ESPN's ESPY Award for Best Male Athlete in 2003, 2004, and 2005

    Heck Federer isn't even the best tennis player ever how the heck can he be the best overall athlete lol


    CROWELR
    Last edited by CROWLER; 01-26-2006 at 07:24 PM.
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

  15. YOu do make a good point, Has anyone heard of joe eigo hes CRAZY, check it out not athlete of the year tho sry.

    Quote Originally Posted by CROWLER
    Hey 400runner I see you reading this thread. I would have to say if biking takes no skills or athleticism then heck running the 400 has to be even easier and running the 800 pft you can call that one in via cel phone I mean come on all you are doing is running. BWAHAHAHAHA j/k but am trying to make a point.

    Well I guess Alexander knows better than the rest of us AND the Associated Press AND ESPN they too are confused what it mens to be an athlete

    Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year for 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005
    ESPN's ESPY Award for Best Male Athlete in 2003, 2004, and 2005

    Heck Federer isn't even the best tennis player ever how the heck can he be the best overall athlete lol


    CROWELR

  16. Quote Originally Posted by jarhead
    T.J. Duckett could not hit around Federer, he can't be the best athlete.
    You clearly don't understand much. Your putting words into my mouth, and not comprehending my comparisons whatsoever. Or, you decided it was time for another kindygarten joke that makes no sense. Above you said I contradicted myself, not at all. I'm giving somewhat logical reasons as to why cycling is not that athletic of a sport(mainly that its one dimensional). All your saying is riding up a hill takes a lot of strength, and taking the curves takes agility. And it does, but its not a high level of agility. Its difficult to argue the exact amount of agility something takes, but certainly the side to side movement, quickness, hand eye coordination, reflexes, timing, etc that it takes to take part in a baseline rally in pro tennis takes much more agility then any part of cycling. To me the agility contest between cycling and tennis is very obviously lopsided. Tennis players are'nt strong, but they have good power. To be able to hit a serve 140 mph you've got power. Tennis players have the edge on speed too. If you had a cyclist race a tennis player in the 40, the cyclist would get dusted. They're all slow twitch, they have no speed. And of course the endurance goes to cycling, although tennis takes a huge amount of endurance as well, playing 3 hours of tennis every other day for 2 weeks during a grand slam is rigorous. Although cycling clearly takes a lot more endurance, cycling kills pretty much any sport in endurance. So, thats how I rationalize to myself that Federer(and Fedor)is a far better ATHLETE then Lance. A lot of it may also be that I don't find cycling impressive. Its all a matter of opinion I suppose, I will agree to disagee.

  17. id just like to add i was only stating that lance is an athlete, though i dont think he is the best.

    i dont think anyone can be the best since there are way to many things to factor in to just pick one.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by fbxdan
    A couple years ago I would have said Alexander Karelin. I believe he is one of the greatest athletes of the last century.
    Absolutley agree. Karelin was truly the Beast from the East, he dominated Greco-Roman Superheavy from age 17 to 35, i think, never beaten in that time. Yes, he lost to Gardener at the end, but it was him fouling out, not Gardner beating him. Alexander "the Great" he truly was.

    The other aspects of Lance Armstrong is the mental power required to sustain focus for hours continously. It is extremeley difficult to watch the road and keep one's heart rate in exactly the proper zone in varying terrain. Tennis, football, wrestling, etc. all get time off between activity, a cyclist does not, and the ability to withstand pain and keep's one's gameplan, world class endurance activities, cycling, running, triathlon, etc. are bouts of sustained pain.

  19. i believe that each and every person has talents. one person who is good at one thing might suck at another...example Michael Jorden...(great at basketball, but a not so great baseball player) enough said....

    and anyways, for someone to say a sport is not a sport has a closed minded view on life. each sport is different and gets different recognition. for one to say what lance does is not a sport than i guess its ok for me to say bodybuilding is not one...i mean all you do is lift weights.? wrong! you see its competition. and there are people better than one another and it IS a sport too! and running track...Yes, its a sport and the few ppl in the world who know what its all truly understand what they go through as well.

    trey

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    You clearly don't understand much. Your putting words into my mouth, and not comprehending my comparisons whatsoever. Or, you decided it was time for another kindygarten joke that makes no sense. Above you said I contradicted myself, not at all. I'm giving somewhat logical reasons as to why cycling is not that athletic of a sport(mainly that its one dimensional). All your saying is riding up a hill takes a lot of strength, and taking the curves takes agility. And it does, but its not a high level of agility. Its difficult to argue the exact amount of agility something takes, but certainly the side to side movement, quickness, hand eye coordination, reflexes, timing, etc that it takes to take part in a baseline rally in pro tennis takes much more agility then any part of cycling. To me the agility contest between cycling and tennis is very obviously lopsided. Tennis players are'nt strong, but they have good power. To be able to hit a serve 140 mph you've got power. Tennis players have the edge on speed too. If you had a cyclist race a tennis player in the 40, the cyclist would get dusted. They're all slow twitch, they have no speed. And of course the endurance goes to cycling, although tennis takes a huge amount of endurance as well, playing 3 hours of tennis every other day for 2 weeks during a grand slam is rigorous. Although cycling clearly takes a lot more endurance, cycling kills pretty much any sport in endurance. So, thats how I rationalize to myself that Federer(and Fedor)is a far better ATHLETE then Lance. A lot of it may also be that I don't find cycling impressive. Its all a matter of opinion I suppose, I will agree to disagee.
    I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted you. Your basing your comparisons on the skills required to play tennis being the rule as to what defines athletic competition and you don't even see it. Sure Federer is a better athlete IN HIS SPORT, than Lance, but you have repeatedly reduced the entire sport of cycling to an endurance test. (Reread your posts) This entire argument is subjective. EVERY sport requires different skills. Personally I'm not fond of either sport, but I can give credit where credit is due-Lance is a dominant athlete in his sport. To say what you just said-that cycling is not that athletic a sport, is just silly. Agree to disagree it is.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Please don't come at me like that. You obviously know nothing about athletics, if you think Lance is one of the best athletes. Please tell me what about riding a bicycle is athletic?
    Okay, define your version of an "athlete" for me.

    Yeah, I know nothing of athletics. You never learn anything of the sort in the wrestling room.

  22. Cycling is boring as hell, but requires plenty of athletic ability.

    Sprinting on a bike, uphill, requires power.
    Stamina is a given.
    Having to weave in and out of tightly packed crowds at high speeds and accelarating around corners at high speeds requires responsiveness and agility.
    I could go on forever, and I'm definitely not, nor have I ever been, a cyclist. Its boring as death to me.

    I just don't see how you turned this whole thread into a "cyclists aren't atheletes" thread.

  23. yeah, anyways. whats everyone elses thoughts about the "best"

  24. Gotta give Lebron a vote as well. For as young as he is, he's done some amazing things in his career already. (Plus he gives my hometown a respectable sports team that is desperately needed). Youngest player to reach 5000 points in NBA history.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by jarhead
    I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted you. Your basing your comparisons on the skills required to play tennis being the rule as to what defines athletic competition and you don't even see it. Sure Federer is a better athlete IN HIS SPORT, than Lance, but you have repeatedly reduced the entire sport of cycling to an endurance test. (Reread your posts) This entire argument is subjective. EVERY sport requires different skills. Personally I'm not fond of either sport, but I can give credit where credit is due-Lance is a dominant athlete in his sport. To say what you just said-that cycling is not that athletic a sport, is just silly. Agree to disagree it is.
    You put words into my mouth by saying "Duckett can't be the best athlete, he cant hit around with Federer", when I never implied whatsoever that you had to be able to hit around with Federer in order to be the best athlete. What I was clearly saying is that plenty of people have the speed, power, and agility to ride with Lance, its just that he does'nt get tired(he has the best endurance of anyone). And that no one has the speed, power, and agility to be able to hit around competitively with Federer, making him the more impressive athlete in my eyes. Athletically Federer has more weapons. I'm not basing my concept of athleticism on the skills it takes to play tennis. I'm going off of Speed, Strength, Agility, and Endurance. Then I'm comparing the two sports. I will continue to 'reduce' the sport of cycling to an endurance contest, because it is. I'd say its 90% endurance. Lance is an amazing sportsman, not so much an amazing athlete, in the true definition. If you wanna get real mad at me, let me help you out. I definitely don't think bodybuilding is a very athletic sport at all. I am a bodybuilder/powerlifter, but I don't think either are very athletic, especially the former. That one is actually for Crowler I believe. Oh, and Lebron James, now your talking. He's definitely high up on my list of best athletes.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. best athlete in the world?
    By DocOptimzed in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2016, 12:05 AM
  2. THE BEST FRENCH TOAST IN THE WORLD
    By cmc in forum Recipes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
  3. The best fighter in the world
    By robdog in forum MMA
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 05:46 PM
  4. best addition in the world (shakes)
    By drummaboyzl in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 05:58 PM
  5. BEST jobs in the world, post your fav.
    By somewhatgifted in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Log in
Log in