Your opinion on HST training?

HST Training 3 Day Training:

• Total voters
CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
keep lifting as in keep going with 5's? friday i hit my 5rm on almost everything and was pretty accurate with my hst planning. although i did find myself stronger on certain things. bench is maxed out, and shoulder press is maxed. i can keep going up in probably everything else though.
Keep lifting and increasing weights if possible until you plateau. By default this means you stay in the ~5 rep range. No need to stop until growth and strength gains stop.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
yea i went ahead and repeated my max lifts friday today and what a difference a weekend off made! my maxes friday were no longer my maxes! got 5 reps easy (no spot) out of the exercises i struggled WITH a spot on friday. i'm going to go another two weeks. i'm just dying to try my old routine out to see what my strength gains look like!!

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I myself never go past the two extra weeks of 5's. I start to feel a bit of burn out. Then I go with the 10 days or so of SD and can't wait to get back to the weights.

Today was my first day back and it was like I was in heaven again.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
so ff you alternate cycles of hst and 10 day superdrols?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
so ff you alternate cycles of hst and 10 day superdrols?
No, he's talking about strategic deconditioning. But when you abbreviate that here to an 'S' followed by a 'D', the board automatically translates it to 'superdrol'.

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
yea i hate that! i have to put a period between the s and d. it does that with post cycle therapy too.

shock

Awards
what are the main exercises I would want to do for a 12,8, 5 six-eight week cycle of HST? Could anyone help me out here? Thanks!

sfearl1

sfearl1

Awards
  • Established
what are the main exercises I would want to do for a 12,8, 5 six-eight week cycle of HST? Could anyone help me out here? Thanks!
i just started another 15 10 5 cycle and my split goes like this

A/B/A/B/A/B/OFF

A.
Squats 2 sets
DB Incline 2 sets
DB Military Press 2 sets
Dips 2 sets
Tri. Extensions 2 sets
Calf Raises 2 sets

B.
Deadlifts 2 sets
Bent Over Rows 2 sets
BB Curls 2 sets
DB Lat. Raises 2 sets
Chins 2 sets
Shrugs 2 sets

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
If you're going with an A/B split then sfear has it right on the money.

If you're going with a 3 a week routine then I would suggest:

Squat / Deads (alternate each workout)
SLDL (I can't do them so I do leg curls instead)
Calf Raise (some argue you don't need them but I like doing them)
Bench
Dips
Pull up / Pull down
Row
Shoulder press (dumbell or barbell your preference)
Curl (I like hammer curls)
Tricep (whichever floats your boat)

I've read that alot of people aren't doing the curls and triceps because they get a workout from the other exercises so you can drop them if you like I prefer to do them. I've also read that there are some that do the HST with great success with just doing the basics: Squat, Dead, Bench, Row.

Good Luck

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
Bumpsky. Im curious if any more have done some HST cycles and what they thought. Im considering giving it a try on my upcoming bulk. I am familiar with the standard HST cycle and scheduling, however Id be looking at running this schedule...

i just started another 15 10 5 cycle and my split goes like this

A/B/A/B/A/B/OFF

A.
Squats 2 sets
DB Incline 2 sets
DB Military Press 2 sets
Dips 2 sets
Tri. Extensions 2 sets
Calf Raises 2 sets

B.
Deadlifts 2 sets
Bent Over Rows 2 sets
BB Curls 2 sets
DB Lat. Raises 2 sets
Chins 2 sets
Shrugs 2 sets
But Im not entirely clear how its layed out...like such?

Day1 A(15)
Day2 B(15)
Day3 A(10)
Day4 B(10)
Day5 A(5)
Day6 B(5)
Day7 OFF

-Irish

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Each mesocycle lasts 6 workouts or 12 workouts if you are doing a split routine.

Example:
15's Squats

If your max weight for doing 15 reps of squats is 200 lbs then you will start on your first workout doing 175 lbs

1. 175
2. 180
3. 185
4. 190
5. 195
6. 200

now it gets a little trickier when you start hitting weights over 200 lbs. It is suggested that you change the weights by 10 lb increments instead of 5.

A lot of people have been getting really good results by sticking with a 3 day routine and sticking with just the basics of: Squat/DL (alternating), Bent Over Row, Bench. I like a little more variety in my routines though but that's just me.

Hope this helps

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
Ive been reading up on HST, wouldnt mind trying it, but i have some of the hangups that some other people have mentioned. Im used to atleast 3 exercises per muscle group, and its gonna take some getting used to. Ive just been working out this way for so long, and have it drilled into my head "YOUVE GOTTA HIT ALL THE HEADS ON THE TRIS" "HIT YOUR BIS FROM EVERY ANGLE"

Im gonna give it my best shot though, im starting tomorrow.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Ive been reading up on HST, wouldnt mind trying it, but i have some of the hangups that some other people have mentioned. Im used to atleast 3 exercises per muscle group, and its gonna take some getting used to. Ive just been working out this way for so long, and have it drilled into my head "YOUVE GOTTA HIT ALL THE HEADS ON THE TRIS" "HIT YOUR BIS FROM EVERY ANGLE"

Im gonna give it my best shot though, im starting tomorrow.
Remember that you are going to be hitting that muscle group with 1-2 exercises each session. So at the end of the week for instance if you are in your 5's and doing 3 sets, you'll be doing 9-18 sets on that muscle group.

If you really want a good bicep routine, go with pullups instead of pulldowns, still hits your lats but also can blast your biceps.

If you are used to the old split routine doing each muscle group once a week, you should be noticing a difference in a short time period.

dra05ke

Awards
my legs are lagging a bit and was looking just for hypertrophy on my legs ...would it be beneficial to go about my same routine ..except every other day add in 2 sets of leg presses, 2 sets of leg extensions, and two seats of seated leg curls to whatever the workout day is...and just get rid of my leg day?? been looking into HST and this was just a thought ..anyone care to critique my thoughts?

--thanks!!

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Why not have 2 days of legs and hit them with squats/deads plus SLDL and leg presses?

Just my preference, I don't care for leg curls/ext, but that's just me and my personal preferences.

dra05ke

Awards
i suffered a knee injury last year and still hestitant to go back to squats and have just gotten accustomed to not having it in the routine i guess? ..and i was never comfortable with DL for some reason ...should have 2 seperate moderate-all out leg days? or would you think it would be more beneficial to do a 1-2 sets of each every other day in addition to the rest of my routine.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
i suffered a knee injury last year and still hestitant to go back to squats and have just gotten accustomed to not having it in the routine i guess? ..and i was never comfortable with DL for some reason ...should have 2 seperate moderate-all out leg days? or would you think it would be more beneficial to do a 1-2 sets of each every other day in addition to the rest of my routine.
No, just include legs each training session. For the first time doing HST, stick to the outline. Full body 3x/week. This would be a good time to add squats or even front squats if your knee can handle them. Since you start our so light, you'll be able to work them in without much risk to the knee. If it bothers you once you start working with heavier loads, then you could adjust things.

dra05ke

Awards
i have worded what i would like to say wrong ..and i think in the process i may have caused confusion, and for that i apologize ...

what i meant was ...

current routine

sunday-chest
monday-legs
tuesday-arms
wednesday-off
thursday-shoulders
friday-off
saturday-back (if no time will do on friday)

would i gain more muscle by switching to doing a few sets of legs every other day as opposed to doing one full-out, balls to the wall leg workout each week??...my legs are lagging and everything else is growing at an exponential rate ..do not want to be too big in top in comparison to legs ...

suggested routine

day 1 - chest (legs 2 sets each of press or squat will alternate and leg ext and leg curl)
day 2 - back
day 3 -off (legs/cardio)
day 4 - shoudlers
day 5 - arms - (legs)
day 6 - off (cardio)

..repeat

OR ....

would i most likely gain more leg mass if i kept it at my current routine and for leg day i used German volume training 10x10 on leg press or squats whatever i feel more comfortable with ..and then a few (2-3) sets of curls and extensions.

thanks guys ..again sorry for the confusion.

Liv2BShredded

Liv2BShredded

Awards
HST kicks ass except i mixed a bit with arthor jones logic.
i stick with the 1 set 10 reps always. and its only twice per week.
proggression is only in weight. its great for putting on size without body fat. just keep active like plyometrics to stay fit and strong =]

yung4evr

Awards
I am interested in starting the HST program, but haven't lifted consistently in a very long time. What is a good prepatory routine before beginning with HST?

Thanks in advance -

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I am interested in starting the HST program, but haven't lifted consistently in a very long time. What is a good prepatory routine before beginning with HST?

Thanks in advance -
You don't need any prep routine for HST, you only need to know your maxes.

jawayokbob2

Awards
Hey guys!

I might give HST a try but I need your help; is this routine good?
*due to health related issues I don't squat,deadlift and pullups,chins don't seem appealing :dunno:
*the nr. of reps will vary from week to week,15>10>5; that is why I won't write down the reps for each ex.

Leg extensions 1 set
Leg curls 2 sets
Crunches 2 sets

Barbell bench press 2 sets
Incline dumbbell bench press 1 set

Lat pulldown 2 sets
Barbell bent over rows 2 sets

Shrugs 1 set
Military press 1 set
Lateral raise 1 set
Rear delts 1 set

Barbell curls 2 sets
Triceps pushdown 2 sets

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
First...If your going by traditional HST...then everything should be 1 set for your first two weeks which are 15 reps, 2 sets for the following 2 weeks of 10 reps and 3 sets for the last 2 weeks of 5 reps.

You also seem to have more exercises designated for shoulder than any other body part? Are they lagging and you are trying to catch them up?

If it was me...I'd go with something like...

Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Bench/Dips
Inc DB's
Bent Over Rows
Pull Downs
Shoulder Press
Curls
Tricep Ext
Calf Raises

Remember...You need to continuously progress the load. Make sure your maxes are set as close as possible.

Best of Luck

jawayokbob2

Awards
I'll do the traditional:
weeks 1-2: 1 set 15 reps on all ex.
weeks 3-4: 2 sets 10 reps on all ex.
weeks 4-6:3 sets 5 reps on all ex.
weeks 6-8: 3 sets 5 reps on all ex.​

And yes,my shoulders are somewhat small,compared to my biceps :worried:

My routine is exactly like the one you suggested,except for the extra shoulder work: shrugs,lateral raises,rear delts. If I was to add these 3 as well would I be overtraining?

Thanks!!

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you'd be overtraining, but IMHO I'd stick with more of the basic compound movements.

But at the end of the day, you have to figure out what feels best for you and works best for you. Throw the extra exercises in there one workout and take them out the next, try different things until it feels right to you.

jawayokbob2

Awards
And now I've come up with this:

Workout A
Leg extensions AND Leg curls
Barbell bench press
Lat pull-down
Standing press
Barbell curls

Workout B

Incline db press
Barbell bent-over row
Standing press
Triceps pushdown

I train my biceps once a week,then twice;triceps once,then twice and so on
(for e.g. week 1: 2xtriceps and 1xbiceps,week 2: 2xbiceps and 1xtriceps)

And the cycle:

weeks1-2[2x15]: ABA,BAB
weeks3-4[3x10]: -
weeks5-6[6x5]: -
weeks 7-8:[5x5]: -

What do you think about this combo?

Handyman

Awards
And now I've come up with this:

Workout A
Barbell bench press
Lat pull-down
Standing press
Barbell curls

Workout B

Incline db press
Barbell bent-over row
Standing press
Triceps pushdown

I train my biceps once a week,then twice;triceps once,then twice and so on
(for e.g. week 1: 2xtriceps and 1xbiceps,week 2: 2xbiceps and 1xtriceps)

And the cycle:

weeks1-2[2x15]: ABA,BAB
weeks3-4[3x10]: -
weeks5-6[6x5]: -
weeks 7-8:[5x5]: -

What do you think about this combo?
I like your exercise selection, but if I read it right you plan to do 5 or 6 sets of 5 reps in weeks 5-8. Unless you're including warmup sets, that would be crazy. No more than two sets is what the program calls for, especially for the last two weeks where you're using max weights. In fact, I think dropping volume as the cycle progresses is often recommended. I'm in week 8 right now and using weights far beyond my 5 rep max for two sets of negatives. Doing more than two sets would kill me.

blais83

Awards
It depends on the amount of days you do it per week. 2 is effective and 3 may be too. Personally, Im not a fan of it. I like the 3-5 day split instead.

Mudd

Awards
So I am setting up a HST program for me and my partner, I kind of understand the concept but want to make sure I have it right.. for example lets say my 15 rep max for bench press was 100lb db, on the first Monday, I would use 75lb db's monday, 80lb wed., 85 fri., 90 mon., 95 wed., 100 frid. , then the 3rd week i would go to 10's and do the same concept with them for 2 weeks and do every exersize like that? Just making sure I have it right.. Thanks for the help

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
So I am setting up a HST program for me and my partner, I kind of understand the concept but want to make sure I have it right.. for example lets say my 15 rep max for bench press was 100lb db, on the first Monday, I would use 75lb db's monday, 80lb wed., 85 fri., 90 mon., 95 wed., 100 frid. , then the 3rd week i would go to 10's and do the same concept with them for 2 weeks and do every exersize like that? Just making sure I have it right.. Thanks for the help
You got the concept right, but the example you have given creates a lot of zigzagging.

You use 5% decrements and double up so:
90 <---start at %50-60% of 1RM which is minimum effective load.
100 <---- old 15RM
100 <---start of 10s
115 <--- old 10RM
115 <---start of 5s

Mudd

Awards
You got the concept right, but the example you have given creates a lot of zigzagging.

You use 5% decrements and double up so:
90 <---start at %50-60% of 1RM which is minimum effective load.
100 <---- old 15RM
100 <---start of 10s
115 <--- old 10RM
115 <---start of 5s
Oh ok, gotcha, that makes alot more sense now.. Thanks for the info

rickcr

Awards
Curious about deteriming 15, 10, 5 maxes- and rear delt quest

For the past 15 weeks I've been doing a 5x5 program (Bill Star's 5x5 [www]wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm.) I'm happy with my progress, but stalls are now coming quite frequently even after deloading back 4 weeks.

I'm actually interested now in changing things up for some mass gains. Not that I didn't gain mass on the program, but I feel like I need a mental break from it as well, and HST looked interesting to me.

The HST site says take to week to find your 15,10,5 maxes in the different exercises... and I attempted to do that, but I certainly don't feel they will be accurate at all. I'm going to failure every other day to attempt to find a max which has be thinking by my 3rd day my 5 rep max isn't going to be accurate. This week I'm planning on taking the week off for the SD phase. When I start on the program the following week, do you think I'm ok just using the maxes I tried my best to calculate or should I adjust them up a bit since I was just coming up off the strong lifts program and not sure how accurate they are? I think testing them 3 times during a week at different rep ranges after the strong lifts cycle had me pretty wore down.

Also I was wanting to throw in some rear delt work... the problem is just using a 20lb db for a bent over lateral raise was tough right now (I think I got 5 on friday.) Should I maybe use the cables to hit the rear delts since I'll have more weight ranges to work with on the program (since I need to increase the load 6 times over the two weeks?) (or maybe just scrap them all together?

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of disagreement on this...so let me start by saying...this is just merely my opinion...

If you max on bench for 5 reps is lets say 200lbs and you are trying to figure out if it's actually 205...well then your muscles really aren't going to know much difference. Besides that...I've done the program multiple times and what I found was that by the time I got to my 5 rep max it wasn't heavy enough. So I continued increasing the weights till I got to my true 5 rep max. From there I'd either go on SD or continue working out with the max weight (I gauged it by how I was feeling).

rickcr

Awards
Besides that...I've done the program multiple times and what I found was that by the time I got to my 5 rep max it wasn't heavy enough.
Wouldn't that mean it's probably better to start off with higher weights on the other 5 work outs leading into what should be your max rep day? So for example if you get to workout 6 on a 10 rep cycle....

and if 125 was too light I'd think gains would be better starting off with a higher starting weight?

So that leads me to another question. I figure I'll follow the program and start out with a 15 rep cycle (that'll be interesting since I never went about 8 reps on the bills star plan) - but I'm curious say on day 1 the 15 the rep is really easy and I can push out another one or two reps without failure - is it ok to do so? or will that mess up the system?

pricejr1188

Awards
Newbie to Forum - Athlete and Training for years

I think HST works great, it's kind of confusing at first when trying to set it up...But if you set it up right, it works great, my workout partner and I both saw pretty good strength and size increases on it. I have an excel program that simplifies it fairly well if anyone is interested..

CK
Hey Stoked1288,

Not sure if you are still on this forum board, but I would interested in obtaining your excel file.

I just came across HST training as I have decided that I would like to add on some muscle -- I am not wanting to pack on a ton because I am a rock climber, but have decided I would like to go from about 172ish to 182ish.

Is there a specific diet protocol?

Thanks,