More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
Give me some Black Label Society & I'm a happy camper!! :head:

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Just gotta ask this because it's been bugging me. Am I the only one who still isn't used to THE Howard Jones with Killswitch? I've tried for nearly two years now to adjust and I just cannot seem to. Has anyone heard him sing any of the old stuff?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I heard him sing a lot of songs off the first albums at Ozzfest. They came out great. I hear you though...when I got TEOHE I was like "what the??" , having really got into the original singer's tone.

Im cool with Howard though...

BV

BryanFury

Awards
Check out Nobis. Hard to find at the moment, check myspace.com/nobis for some streams.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just thought of another band I gotta recommend, that being Nevermore. "The Godless Endeavor" is a ripping melodic thrash album that most any metalhead should be able to enjoy. The vocals are mostly cleanly sung, but with a real sense of despair to them. The real treat when listening to this band lies in the guitar work, the two guitarists in this band are just ridiculous! When the twin soloing starts, I'm grinning ear to ear while revelling in the sounds before me.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ive seen Nevermore live before - they do kick ass!! Going back to old school - I put in Queensryche Operation:Mindcrime the other day...amazing how much ass that album still kicks even though its neary 20 years old!

BV

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I went to an absolutely stupendous show last night, consisting of Dark Tranquility, Devildriver and Opeth. Dark Tranquility I suspect surprised alot of people, and absolutely got the crowd revved up. Devildriver was just freaking nuts, I have a laceration on my eyebrow to prove that point.

Opeth was godlike. Akerfeldt's in between song banter was priceless, and had me in stitches. They played a good selection of their material spanning their entire career, and more times than I can remember I was absolutely mesmorized by what I was hearing. Best live band I've seen yet!

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Reps to BingeAndPurge and Bioman for liking Clutch! One of my favorite current bands.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I went to an absolutely stupendous show last night, consisting of Dark Tranquility, Devildriver and Opeth. Dark Tranquility I suspect surprised alot of people, and absolutely got the crowd revved up. Devildriver was just freaking nuts, I have a laceration on my eyebrow to prove that point.

Opeth was godlike. Akerfeldt's in between song banter was priceless, and had me in stitches. They played a good selection of their material spanning their entire career, and more times than I can remember I was absolutely mesmorized by what I was hearing. Best live band I've seen yet!
That sounds like an absolutely insane show you lucky bastard!

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OMFG it was! How that show ended up in Calgary, Alberta Canada is beyond my understanding. I went in seriously buzzed on ephedrine and amp, and found my way into some beers and bud once I was inside. During Opeth's 2+ hour set you couldn't remove the smile from my face if you tried!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established

That's freakin' wicked Max!! I havent seen Opeth live yet but I certainly intend to.

Reps to BingeAndPurge and Bioman for liking Clutch! One of my favorite current bands.
i LOVE Clutch!:D

BV

moflika

Awards
Man, this thread is big!

I'm studying abroad in Germany at the moment and the metal scene is crazy. Especially if you're into Black/Death metal. I find myself going to like 1 black/death concert every 2 weeks!

As far as reccomendations....Belphegor- The Goatreich- Fleshcult. This CD has seriously made so much stuff I listened to before sound so weak and I'm not talking about Cradle of Filth or anything like that. After hearing Belphegor I can't really even listen to bands like Bloodbath anymore.

Before I forget: Nothing will ever top Immortal and Death. Just had to get that out! \m/

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Behemoth and Belphegor. In particular, Belphegor's album goatreich-fleshcult is one of the best death metal albums I've ever heard...
Exactly!

I'm also a HUGE Behemoth fan. I got to see them with Nile and King Diamond a while back.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Black label society
lamb of god
mastodon
vision of disorder
everytime I die
nine inch nails
Chimaira
Demon hunter
Into the moat
God Forbid
Ion Dissonance
Dillanger Escape Plan
Mudvayne
A life once lost
Martyr AD
On Broken wings
Strapping Young Lad
Tool
Trivium
Twelve Gauge Valentine

Yep i love my metal.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Nile ROCKS!!!!

Before I forget: Nothing will ever top Immortal and Death. Just had to get that out! \m/
Death's 'The Sound of Perseverence' was a life-changing album for me. Its a long story, but that album is dear to my heart. Long live Chuck Shuldiner!

I'm studying abroad in Germany at the moment and the metal scene is crazy.
Yeah, the people on that side of the world definitely know their ****!! InFlame's new album, Come Clarity, was NUMBER ONE on the Sweedish charts. That's all the charts...not just metal.

BV

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I give to my fellow metalheads following this thread the gift of the following forum:

http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/

Be sure to register in order to be able to access the metal releases section, and prepare to find handsdown the best resource for metal torrents available on the net. Pre-release torrents are very common here, I'm in the process of listening to the new Moonspell as we speak for example. Damn I love bittorrent!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Aw Max, first your avatar pic and now this...you just plain rule dude, no question about it:D

Thanks!!

Of course, if you did the album after you get the torrent, buy it!

BV

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I love Clutch. The newer album, not so much. It's a little too jambandish for my taste, but I love that band. Seen them more times than I can count.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Clutch is awesome. Their first album rocked hard..funny as hell too. This newer one is a departure but I do like it...

"I was tempted to seek the advice of Dr Laura
But I ignore her
and I take a deep breath and count to ten
not gonna let it get under my skin
Take a deep breath and count to ten
Think of all the nice places that I've been."

Goofy..and I love it.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Clutch is awesome. Their first album rocked hard..funny as hell too. This newer one is a departure but I do like it...

"I was tempted to seek the advice of Dr Laura
But I ignore her
and I take a deep breath and count to ten
not gonna let it get under my skin
Take a deep breath and count to ten
Think of all the nice places that I've been."

Goofy..and I love it.
"Careful With That Mic" was on Pure Rock Fury, which is 4 albums ago. I'm referring to Robot Hive. Blast Tyrant from two years ago kicked a$$, though.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I went to a cool show last night here at the University where I work. Headlining were Arch Enemy and Chimaira, along with openers Hate Eternal and God Forbid.

Opening band Hate Eternal seemed a little out of place on this bill, being that they play straight up brutal death metal. They were a 3 piece band, when a 4th member in the form of a second guitarist would have really helped to fill out their sound, as was it seemd a little lacking in places.

God Forbid was great live, just as I expected they would be. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact they used 3 vocalists in many portions of their songs, and they had a real laid back, groovy kinda vibe to their performance. Really enjoyable.

Chimaira was up next. Although their style of metal isn't necessarily my cup of tea, being more of the nu-metal variety, but I gotta admit they were raw and in your face. their drummer is absolutely insane though, he lit the place up with a ripping drum solo that's still resonating in my skull.

Arch Enemy was the highlight of the night for myself, and the main reason I was there. By the time they hit the stage I had enough booze in me to fuel a good headbanging session to finish the evening. They were super cohesive as a band, perfectly pulling off tunes spanning way back to the beginning of their catalog, which suprised me somewhat as Angela Gossow wasn't in the band yet back then, and has a much different vocal style than the original vocalist did.

All the bands put on great performances, and it was a sellout show with a very enthusiastic crowd. I gotta send a what's up to the midget that I hung out with in the beer gardens (drunk midgets are a riot!) and a big :nutkick: to the handlebar wearing goofball that thought he owned the place. I grazed into him on my way by, and he was pretty much ready to pick a fight. Same thing happened when another guy brushed into him a few minutes later. Some people just need to learn to chill out.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
FREE SEX!
SHADOWS FALL!
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE!

...now that I've got your attention with that somewhat deceptive headline...

I'd like to formally announce my appreciation for the fact that the band OVERCAST (which I mentioned earlier in this thread...featuring Brian from Shadows Fall and Mike from Killswitch Engage) will be reuniting and playing their first major public show at the New England Metal and Hardcore Fest on Saturday April 29, 2006. And best of all, yours truly is the band's official photographer for that day!

For the uninitiated, Overcast's myspace page is here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=63075972

And once more let me remind you all, if you don't own the Overcast album "Begging For Indifference," drop what you are doing right this moment and go buy it, there are always some on eBay.

If it is not THE best metal album you've ever spent money on in your life, send it to me and I will pay you back for it! That's how certain I am that you will all love it!

I am not just saying that because they are my dear friends, but it's the truth...listen to the tunes on myspace (especially Bleed Into One, which is one of my favorite songs of all time) and find out...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Resurrecting this thread from the ashes because:

THE NEW KILLSWITCH ENGAGE KICKS TOTAL A S S!!!!

Check this out, some dude on youtube made a video to one of the new tunes with Final Fantasy 8 graphics:

Other albums you need to buy:

Trivium - The Crusade
Bury Your Dead - Beauty And The Breakdown
Lamb Of God - Sacrament
Clutch - Robot Hive : Exodus

My benchpress has gone up 30 lbs this month - I swear its from these albums alone! :D

BV

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
everytime I die

Dillanger Escape Plan

Yep i love my metal.
VERY good choices. Between the Buried and Me, Converge, and Norma Jean are also some of my favorites, all of which, including ETID and DEP, are awesome live...

EDIT--Thanks BigV

Last edited:
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You dont put the whole URL in, just the Youtube code, like this:

HTML:
[yt]Utx773dkjs[/yt]
I fixed it for ya :)

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Wow, forgot about this thread. Kind of gotten out of metal lately and back to classic country. I think the most recent metal album I really enjoyed was Trivium. Seeing this thread, though, I'm about to go hunting around on myspace and whatnot for some new music.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
My favorite overcast album was fight ambition to kill ... man that album was eerie. They are a great band, and I will always prefer Brian Fair with them instead of SF.

Cool to hear they are having a reunion show, but I stopped going to shows a few years ago. :) Luckily I got to see overcast play before they split.

BTW, Brian Fairs dreadlocks will rival any jamacians ... they are the size of soda cans. And I imagine his dandruff is the size of chicken mcnuggets. Hmm ... I'm getting hungry ...