The New Wave of American Metal

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Methyl1 - if you can't get past the growling vox try bands like Everygrey and Dream Theater.

The Control Denied album is great, and MaxSilver is right - the late Chuck Shuldiner was one of the greatest metal guitarists ever. Death's "The Sound Of Perseverense" is one of my favorite albums of all time! Control Denied was basically Death style instrumentation with clean, Iron Maiden style vocals.

The growling vocals used to bother me, but now I prefer it. I really like bands that can mix it up ala Killswitch Engage and the newer Soilwork stuff. I think it just adds intensity and ferocity to the music, - much like a distorted guitar.

BV

Methyl1

Awards
i personally think satriani started alot of that stuff. most of the music i listen too began with iron maiden. not a big kd fan
Iron Maiden was pretty good, not one of my favorites but they had a few good songs. Actually Yngwie Malmsteen started the really fast soloing type music, where guitarists would release virtuoso type albums playing super fast scales and notes.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What do you guys think of Bruce Dickinsons solo albums? I've found that I like his solo stuff far more than anything Maiden has put out since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, as it has a more modern feel to it, is heavier, and Dickinson still sounds great after all these years.

Methyl1

Awards
I was just introduced to Hammerfall and boy do they rock, exactly what i was looking for. Awesome clean vocals, melodic leads, great rythm, and double bass drum action. Its sweet power metal for sure, i went ahead and ordered 4 of thier albums.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think of Bruce Dickinsons solo albums? I've found that I like his solo stuff far more than anything Maiden has put out since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, as it has a more modern feel to it, is heavier, and Dickinson still sounds great after all these years.
'Chemical Wedding' is a sweet album, great 80's themes there, mixed with some seriously heavy riffage...

Lovers in the tower
The moon and sun divided, and the hanged man smiles
Lovers in the tower
The moon and sun divided, let the fool decide
Lovers in the tower
The moon and sun divided, the priestess kneels to receive
Lovers in the tower
The moon and sun divided, the magician laughs
I love it!!!:)

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've mentioned them before but for those who like heavier, angrier vocals alongside slower yet heavy, pounding riffs..Hatebreed is pretty awesome, especially for workouts.

Despite their negative sounding name they are quite positive and inspirational. I swear these guys must lift as well because their songs are all about perserverance, staying the course through tough times, becoming stronger. I have to say they are my favorite band in the genre right now.

Rise of Brutality is an awesome album.

Lately I've been grooving on the Killswtich and Coal Chamber grooves.

I don't like the 80's style much either. Once the guitar riffs go faster than a certain point it loses focus for me. Screetching, head-voice vocals generally bug me as well. KD, Pantera and bands of that ilk are more my cup of tea.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What I've seen and what I've been through has made me who I am
There was a time in my life where I had no desire to carry on
I couldn't see a place for me or a will to survive
I never thought to rely on myself or the beliefs that I have denied

But this is now
How can I can change tomorrow if I can't change today
This is now
If I control myself I control my destiny
If that isnt motivating when you're in the gym, I dont know what is!!!:)

BV

Methyl1

Awards
My Bro got me some Crematory to jam out too, seems to be a sweet sound. Death metal mixed with some elements of industrial with keyboards and synths and heavy riffs and solo's. Seems pretty sweet.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
if your looking for killer parallel solos, check out children of bodom

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just heard Still Remains this weekend. You guys should check em out if you haven't yet.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
dude I just heard still remains too, fucken awesome!!! if you like them check out trivium and it dies today

methyl---two more bands you may like....iced earth and nevermore.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just bumping this because the new AS I LAY DYING :thumbsup: is out! From what I've heard its pretty awesome.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
big fan of as i lay dying, Lamb of God is ok. They act like a bunch of douche bags live though.

Stormrider

Awards
I'd like to add another band for you all to check out. They are called Subterranean Masquerade. They have a very unique style of music. Which I find cool because most bands today sound too much alike! Bah! Anyways, there website (http://www.submasq.com) has a few samples if you are interested!

Stormrider

Awards
One band I think you might enjoy is Control Denied. It was the final piece of work of my favorite metal guitarist of all-time, Chuck Shuldiner. That guy had a real way of making a guitar sing that I've yet to find anyone else that compares (the Death album Symbolic is easily my favorite disc). The vocals shouldn't bother you in the least either.
I should have started posting here a long time ago! Chuck (RIP) is my favorite guitarist, song writer, ah hell hes my favortie metal icon. The guys he had work with him where amazing as well. Richard, Gene, Andy, James, and ect.

\m/ :twisted: \m/

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Ok, you want some sick fucking albums to listen to:

Emporer - Anthems to the welkin at dusk
Zyklon - Anything by them (aeon is their best)
Darkane - Again, anything by them
Kreator - I really like renewal, their early 90s stuff is bad-ass
Sodom - Agent orange is probably their best, lots of good stuff though
Bathory - blood, fire, death is a classic
Cryptopsy - none so vile, tight as hell
Vader - pretty much anything by them
Thyrfling - vansinnesvisor, epic viking black metal
At the gates - slaughter of the soul
Immortal - lots of good stuff here, diabolical full moon mysticism is their most raw but also probably their best.
Terrorizer - world downfall
Enslaved - all good, I really like below the lights, again really great epic viking black metal
Carcass - heartwork or swansong

Edit: forgot some...

The Crown - Deathrace king! All their stuff is great though
Dissection - the somberlain

That should get you guys started... Great to see some people in to the metal here. And I have to say, the fact that you like satyricon impresses me glen - way cool.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Sweet, Iced Earth is bad ass! Im going to check out some Nevermore and see how they stack up, Im ready for some solo's!!!!
Dude you are totally power-metal. Stay away from everything I reccomend though because I'm totally death/black metal.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Holy **** man, nice fucking list there. I thought I was about the only one on this board who was into the truly extreme death and black metal bands out there.

As far as Carcass goes, my favorite album of theirs has to be necrotisism, discanting the insalubrious (or something like that). That to me is grinding death done to absolute perfection. Kreator is still putting out great albums to this very day, I can't get enough of their latest, Enemy of God. As far as Emperor goes, I'm in the minority, but the album I most connect with is Prometheus. I just love the experimental nature of it all, it's truly thought provoking and mind expanding music if you can get a taste for it.

I see no mention of one of the better bands out there, at least on a sheer technical level, that being Nile. 2 minute solos are commonplace, their presentation is just dripping with sheer technical prowess, although I'd have to admit their actual songwriting needs a little work at this point.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I see no mention of one of the better bands out there, at least on a sheer technical level, that being Nile. 2 minute solos are commonplace, their presentation is just dripping with sheer technical prowess, although I'd have to admit their actual songwriting needs a little work at this point.
Nile has a unique thematic space, which is a plus. But they take the death growl to such an extreme level that it no longer resonates with me as a human voice. I like a deathgrowl that is throaty and harsh but somehow still clear (at least, so you can understand what is being said). My favorite deathgrowl vocalists are Secthdamon of Zyklon (he's the vocalist on the album 'aeon') and Glen Benton of Deicide - both of them project such insane brutality, rage and power, and yet are still clearly audible. I know a lot of people don't like Dimmu Borgir for being "sell out" but Shagrath but he hands down has the best black metal shreik I have heard, period.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
****, I just typed out a huge response, and accidently left the site and lost the reply before I had it posted. Goddamn weed does tricks on my memory sometimes.

Anyway, the key point I had made was regarding Peter Tagtgren's performance in the latest Bloodbath album. That's certainly among the more throat ripping, snarling outright vicious deliveries I've laid ears on.

Other favorites include Dan Swano (guy is a fuckin' genious, Edge of Sanity rules), and the singers from Decapitated and Kataklysm (don't know either of their names). If you're unfamiliar with Decapitated give em a whirl, it's an absolute maelstrom of brutal death metal glory. The rhythm section is absolutely sick, it's seriously hard hitting music. And Kataklysm is the perfect mix of raging brutality and melody.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
:lol:

Yeah, bloodbath and decapitated are both great. My only complaint is that they are both a touch 'generic'. What they lack in originality they make up in fury though, no doubt. I actually really like 'the negation' a lot.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One thing I find particularly promising is how young Decapitate's members are. If I'm not mistaken, they are all in their early 20's, and already possess that kind of talent. It's scary to think of just how good they may be once they hone their songwriting, and manage to add more of an atmosphere to their offerings.

Another great vocalist that pops to mind is Daevid Vincent. His performance in songs such as God of Emptiness and Where the Slime live are awe-inspiring. I was once an aspiring death metal vocalist myself, and his delivery was certainly one I tried to pattern myself after.

Let me tell ya though, practicing death vocals is a hard thing to do, as far as finding appropriate places to do so. About the only time I ever do so anymore is when cruising in my car with the stereo cranked, and even then I'm sure the angry screaming bald dude that passing motorists and pedestrians see probably has them somewhat concerned. :rant: (that's me, red faced and all from all the voracious growling). :icon_lol:

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to go off topic here, but I can't help but chuckle at myself a little bit right at the moment. I tend to have a whole slew of mass socially accepted hobbies and interests/lifestyle. I'm a death-metal loving, steroid using bodybuilder that just left to watch a downloaded professional wrestling ppv. Cheers to that.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hehe, david vincent definately has a unique voice. It's not really a true deathgrowl, or a black shriek - it's sort of it's own thing. Almost a hissing wisper, only projected with incredible force and volume - morbid angel is truly one of the most unique and atmospheric acts in death metal (though I like my metal a bit faster in general).

Heh, we're pariahs, that's for sure. I prefer to justify my displacement from the social order by saying I am an ubermensch in training ;)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yea, thats some real heavy **** those bands. I am more into metalcore and swedish metal myself. Carcass and At the Gates were pretty fucken good though. Decapitated is pretty good too.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Im more into the melodic death/metalcore scene myself too. But there is a place in my CD player for some good BEHEMOTH anyday:)

Opeth is another incredible band, kind of like progressive black/death metal.

BV

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, seems like a lot of people who grew up on metallica and then grew away from metal for a while come back later in life and end up in metalcore territory.

I really like epic viking black metal - it's unique on so many levels. Raw, blisteringly fast grinding death metal appeals to me as well. My main problem with most metalcore and more melodic death metal is that it doesn't really have a really unique thematic soundscape, and it tends to be somewhat generic, thus quickly becoming boring. I like that I can close my eyes while listening to morbid angel, emperor or dissection and let my imagination wander - but by the same token, when I'm lifting weights or doing something where I want the music to be in the background, I prefer the simple blistering aggression of metalcore style stuff.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I was never into Metallica really - started off with Rush, then moved onto to bands like Dream Theater, Queensryche, etc. My tastes grew progressively heavier after that into bands like Death, Morbid Angel,and Cynic. When the early InFlames stuff hit the scene I was mesmerized - blistering riffs, intense vocals AND thoughtful melodies, tasteful shredding and awesome phrasing.

Although it seems like that era has sort of blended with the metalcore front (think Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, etc) - I think the newest stuff comming out is combining the best of both worlds. The newest InFlames disc "Soundtrack to Your Escape" is literally dripping with atmosphere, sometimes I find it hard to work out to because Im constantly drifting off trying to follow the abstract themes presented in each track.

Epic Black/Viking Metal is definately cool, but I could never really latch onto bands like Emperor, Burzum, etc. Some of the stuff is killer - like I said I love Behemoth and a lot of the material from Dimmu Borgir - but when I listen to it, it dosent move me like the more melodic stuff does. The melody is surely there, usually buried beneath layers of tremelo picked detuned riffs and blast-beat drumming. And often, sadly, downright poor production quality. Which may or may not contribute to the ambience of the album. I never thought a band sounding like they were playing live in a canyon made of aluminium and mic'd from 200 ft away added anything positive to the listening experience though.:D

I dig some of it though, like I said Im a big fan of Opeth. I dont really spend a lot of time looking for buried sonic treasure in the realm of black metal though. My kid brother on the other hand, will be the first one to point out the beauty of the dark canvases that this kind of music can paint within your mind.

To each his own - its all metal so its all good:)

BV

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, black metal is probably the most inaccessible form of music on the face of the planet, perhaps in line with some of the extremely minimalist techno and power noize industrial out there. It took a lot of work for me to begin to be able to access stuff from the more extreme bands like graveland, darkthrone, mayhem and so forth. It's still kind of hard to get into equilibrium with the music some times - it's fundamentally hostile music, and it requires my full attention to grapple with it. It's a shame that bands like dimmu borgir that attempt to up the level of musicianship and accessibility of black metal are branded as sellouts, I think the genre has a lot to offer still and a middle ground is still being worked out between the "savage nature" of black metal and a listenable melodic front.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't really get too excited about metalcore, or a good portion of the later melo-death releases. I've found too much of the nu-metal influence to have crept into both (ie warbly chorus singing/screaming/warbly chorus and repeat as nauseum)
I am however a huge fan of melodic death metal. I'm talking more in the vein of Dark Tranquility, who have made a return to their roots lately, retaining the outright aggression which earns the "death" title part of melodic death.

There are some truly amazing melodic death metal bands out there today. Two that immediately spring to mind are Insomnium and Mors Principium Est. These bands specialize in creating soundscapes that you can really lose yourself in, particularly with Insomnium. It's a very desolate atmosphere that I tend to easily get enveloped in, all the happier for the experience however.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Just picked up Limbonic Art's In Abhorrence Dementia, and thought I'd give it the nod over here :D I'm going to have to check those two that you mentioned out max, as it seems our tastes aren't too far off base (particularly in regards to your avatar :rofl: )

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
There are some truly amazing melodic death metal bands out there today. Two that immediately spring to mind are Insomnium and Mors Principium Est. These bands specialize in creating soundscapes that you can really lose yourself in, particularly with Insomnium. It's a very desolate atmosphere that I tend to easily get enveloped in, all the happier for the experience however.
Thanks for the tip there Max - Ill have to check them out.

I am however a huge fan of melodic death metal. I'm talking more in the vein of Dark Tranquility, who have made a return to their roots lately, retaining the outright aggression which earns the "death" title part of melodic death.
Definitely - the new Dark Tranquility is awesome!

Have either of you heard of the british death-metal band Akercocke? I heard some of their stuff online and thought it was cool. Some of the soloing reminded me of Chuck Shuldiner (RIP), a guitarist I really admire.

BV

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
Wanna get pumped? I mean, really friggin' PUMPED!

Then check out the latest from Vomitron: a balls out cover of "Eye of the Tiger." Oh the eagerness with which I await the new album!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap! Like Rocky meets NIN meets Type O Negative!:) Nice find, Nabeshin!

**** -they covered the theme to Contra:) That's awesome!
BV

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
New Disturbed single is on iTunes, sick sick track... The new SOAD album Mezmerize is like tripping on mescaline after drinking 2 Redline RTD's.. :D

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yea I didnt really start out by listening to metalica. I went the punk/hardcore route then went onto metal. Opeth is pretty awesome.

Sgt. Ownage

Board Supporter
Awards
Misery Signals
Cave-In (pre Gayve-In)
Norma Jean

some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Misery Signals
Cave-In (pre Gayve-In)
Norma Jean

some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned
Personally not a big fan of any of those bands myself. Cave in is too chaotic for my taste. NOt really into chaotic metal ie dillinger escape, burnt by the sun.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
New Disturbed single is on iTunes, sick sick track... The new SOAD album Mezmerize is like tripping on mescaline after drinking 2 Redline RTD's..
Now that would be interesting:)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yo MaxSilver -

Just checked out Mors Principium Est. HOLY ****. That's all Ive got to say. Thanks for the tip.

BV

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in a very happy place right now after finding out that Vader and Decapitated are visiting a nearby city to where I currently reside. Acts of this nature rarely show up here (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) as it's definitely more of a top 40/country music kind of crowd. That in itself reviles me, and the fact that something such as a Stampede is what's most associated with the city just cements that repulsion. I'm seriously stoked about this and ready to absolutely tear **** up!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
New Disturbed single is on iTunes, sick sick track... The new SOAD album Mezmerize is like tripping on mescaline after drinking 2 Redline RTD's.. :D

Mezmerize is trippy. The follow up album is supposed to be even better. I hope it's more like Toxicity myself..I love that album, trippy yet heavy.

I live in cave essentially, so maybe you guys can list me out some bands who are like Coal Chamber and/or Hatebreed. I love those styles of metal when I'm working out.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check out Devildriver's latest album The Fury of Our Makers Hand. This is likely my favorite workout album as of late, and when you're selecting from a pool of 1800+ albums that's really saying something. It's intense, heavy, and melodic, but most importantly it straight up shreds!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A band I've been listening to lately is BELOVED. Not quite as heavy as some other stuff I listen to, but very good stuff. Check out 'Inner Pattern'..good track

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
a good band that can appease all here, those who like nu-metal and those who like metal metal is Fear Factory, there new cd is coming out soon. That dudes voice when he sings is totally hypnotic. Him and the guy from Soilwork have the best singing voices I have ever heard. The singer from FF has a side project called Ascenion of the Watchers which is just him and the keyboardist of FF doing new age kinda music, and it still fucken awesome.