The New Wave of American Metal

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I can't seem to get into the new metal. I'll hear some stuff I like on the guitar but I can't get passed the scream singing.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I almost bought one of thosde about a month ago. Sounds like you like the 7 string guitars.
Yeah that's all I play, really. The current lineup:

Ibanez RG1077XL w/Seymour Duncans
Ibanez RG7620 w/EMG707's
Dean EvoSpecial7 w/DiMarzio's (from the 1077XL:))

And Im about to buy a Washburn WG587 because it looks damn cool for the price.

BV

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Ibanez RG1077XL w/Seymour Duncans
Ibanez RG7620 w/EMG707's
Dean EvoSpecial7 w/DiMarzio's (from the 1077XL)
How do you like the emgs?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
How do you like the emgs?
Unreal. They're very bright, but they push my preamp into realms of gain that I never thought possible. I play though a Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre, and the with all three guitars the sound is great, but the EMG's really are spectacular.

Im trying to get a custom mahogany body made for the RG7620 to balance out the tone. Id love to get my hands on a J-Custom 7 but that's not happening for a while:)

What do you play VG?
BV

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Unreal. They're very bright, but they push my preamp into realms of gain that I never thought possible. I play though a Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre, and the with all three guitars the sound is great, but the EMG's really are spectacular.

Im trying to get a custom mahogany body made for the RG7620 to balance out the tone. Id love to get my hands on a J-Custom 7 but that's not happening for a while

What do you play VG?
I have a fender HM strat, Kramer pacer, Kramer Condor, and a wasburn N2. I play threw a ada mp-1 preamp.

anadrol75

Awards
I'll have to say Godsmack is my favorite. I must be behind the times on some of these other bands. I'll definatly check them out. If I were going to buy one of these you guys mentioned which on would it be?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Killswitch Engage, I would say. Really good melodies and kick ass riffs.

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
Let's not forget the underground. Blistered earth, Vomitron, Crotalus (well, these are more like a family of bands, but still...). Machinae Supremacy out of Sweden is damn sweet also. And I'm surprised MuDvAyNe hasn't been mentioned yet! I also can't help but like Demon Hunter. Now is truly is a good era for fans of heavy music.

sly

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I might give that a try when I go back to school. Busy managing a Red Lobster at the moment, getting pounded with top 40 hits from 1993 10 hours a day:) Ugh. When I get in the car to go home and crank my system its a sweet release.:)

BV
Red Lobster, Mmmm!

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Mudvayne Is the only one I like out of the bunch ....I have heard killswitch engage a few times and I cant say I like them . LacunaCoil is pretty good as well

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Mudvayne isn't quite "new wave of american metal" they are something totally different and unique (this is NOT a put down of any other bands in this thread, it is my opinion), definitely have their metal influences though.

ManBeast

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Mudvayne isn't quite "new wave of american metal" they are something totally different and unique (this is NOT a put down of any other bands in this thread, it is my opinion), definitely have their metal influences though.

ManBeast
Oh this is about unique music ...then that changes everything. I have not heard anything unique in a longtime ...lmao . But I will have to listen to mudvayne a little more to see what you are saying

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Mudvayne is unique if you look at the actual composition of their music, the most awesome example would be "trapped in the wake of a dream" which was written according to a number sequence, but it ends up "baiscally" in 11/8 according to both Matt and Ryan (drums and bass). They also have unique themes behind songs, and are DEFINITELY influenced by "The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn" (Matt has a tattoo with their imagery on his chest), which is a very unique and esoteric religious system. Skrying is also a concept present in that religion as well.

ManBeast

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established

ManBeast
Mudvayne is one of my favorite bands, definately. I can listen to their tracks and get lost in them. 'LD50' was good, but 'the End of All Things to Come' was on a completely different level, just awesome.

You can check out a track from their new album here, it's kick ass:

http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/fu/051495/051495_01_01_full_100.asx

My favorite track of their latest album is 'Mercy,Severity", reminds me of the predator:)
BV

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
As you can see, I rather like their new track "Fucking Determined." Highly recommended pump-up music right there.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I too really like "Fucking Determined" it's sound/feel reminds me of the "Kill I Oughta" album (re-released as "The Beginning of All Things to End"), which is a good listen if you can accept the fact that it isn't nearly as polished as L.D. 50 or The End of All Things to Come.

ManBeast

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
I too really like "Fucking Determined" it's sound/feel reminds me of the "Kill I Oughta" album (re-released as "The Beginning of All Things to End"), which is a good listen if you can accept the fact that it isn't nearly as polished as L.D. 50 or The End of All Things to Come.

ManBeast
"You're a motherfuckin' piece of **** and you'll never amount to nothing."

It doesn't really make a lot of sense, and I can't explain it effectively, but I find "Poop Loser" to be a very inspirational track. Countless times, when I've felt like quitting, muttering those words under my breath have given me the jolt I needed to perservere. Reverse psychology perhaps?

But yeah, I love TBOATTE.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Another band I have to mention here is Sevendust - Im listening to their new album 'Seasons' right now, its awesome.

BV

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Hell yah, but BLS ain't in th is genre! They are totally badass "heavy metal" in the oldschool vein, with some awesome southern influences and one of the most badass people in the world fronting the band (Mr. Wylde himself!).

ManBeast

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im going to see them in April...and yeah Zakk Wylde is the freaking man!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Oh VG if you're interested in picking up a good 7-string, check this out:

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-WG587-i20396.music?match=1

I just picked up the black one w/ 2 15' cables and a stand, for $207 shipped. I was worried it would be a POS, but damn it is a NICE guitar. Real comfortable and fast neck, sounds damn good too. Built like a tank - unbelievable deal at that price.

BV

Yjyankee

More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
I plan on going to see BLS April 19th at the House of Blues down in New Orleans, anybody else on this board from the area? email me @ [email protected] if you want to hook up!!

on another note, Does anybody know if Judas Priest is planning on a U.S. tour?? They release their new CD tomorrow, but I have yet to hear about a tour..

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I plan on going to see BLS April 19th at the House of Blues down in New Orleans, anybody else on this board from the area? email me @ [email protected] if you want to hook up!!

on another note, Does anybody know if Judas Priest is planning on a U.S. tour?? They release their new CD tomorrow, but I have yet to hear about a tour..
couple items you may be interested in:

Angel of Retribution

and

Halford interview...mentions Queensryche as an opener. I also got a rumor on the possibility of Megadeth on a leg of the tour as well.

Last edited:
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That's not a bad deal. How does it compare to the ibanez 7 string?
Well, my RG1077XL is my crown jewel so nothing compares to that:) Seriously though, the Washburn plays very well...the neck is 'rounder' than the Wizard neck on my 1077, more like the RG7620 (ie: Universe-style), and has a natural finish. Bridge pickup sounds killer, neck a bit muddy but that's easy enough to upgrade. Alder body, maple neck, black sparkle paint, all black hardware and a stop tail bridge.

I think the Ibanez's look a little 'sexier' but the Washburn holds its own. Ill have it for a long time to come.

BV

Thanks for the links B5150!!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i REALLY dig some metal .. but no american bands come to mind .. i've always loved meshuggah and just discovered Satyricon who i think are fucking SICK! ... neither american though lol

but if we can count hardcore then i could go on and on for quite some time .. but from autumn to ashes and poison the well jump to the forefront of my mind ... i'm a MUCH bigger punk fan and to a lesser degree hardcore fan than i am a metal fan

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
when dealing with metal one must make the distinction between real metal/metalcore and nu-metal(ie poser metal)

real metal bands:
killswitch engage
shadows fall
in flames
unearth
arch enemy
all that remains......just to name a few

nu(poser) metal bands:
mudvanyne
slipknot
disturbed
taproot
trapt......this stuff is NOT real metal

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
when dealing with metal one must make the distinction between real metal/metalcore and nu-metal(ie poser metal)

real metal bands:
killswitch engage
shadows fall
in flames
unearth
arch enemy
all that remains......just to name a few

nu(poser) metal bands:
mudvanyne
slipknot
disturbed
taproot
trapt......this stuff is NOT real metal

I concur - but I dont know if I'd throw Mudvayne in with the other 'quasi-metal' bands. Their last album, and LD50 were pretty good. Definitely in a different league than Disturbed, anyway:)

i REALLY dig some metal .. but no american bands come to mind .. i've always loved meshuggah and just discovered Satyricon who i think are fucking SICK! ... neither american though lol
Meshuggah's 'Destroy Erase Improve' is one of my favorite albums. If you listen to that disc long enough, your mind will start to achieve a higher state of consiousness from the sheer polyrhythmic brutality of it:)

Speaking of non-American kick ass metal bands...anyone every hear of 'Behemoth'? Their song "The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor" is one of the most intense, monstrous, heavy, and beautiful songs Ive ever heard. Beautiful in a firebreathing-demon-crawling-out-of a-crack-in-the-earth and comming to devour your soul sort of way.:D

BV

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beautiful in a firebreathing-demon-crawling-out-of a-crack-in-the-earth and comming to devour your soul sort of way.:D

BV
:icon_lol:

I'm gonna use that one on my girl. "Honey, today you look beautiful. But a different type of beautiful. Beautiful in a firebreathing-demon-crawling-out-of a-crack-in-the-earth and comming to devour your soul sort of way." :lol: :rofl:

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Behemoth is one helluva sweet death metal band for sure. If that kind of stuff is up your alley, give Decapitated a try sometime. Listen to tracks like Spheres of Madness during your workout and prepare to set new personal bests, seriously, the band is that insanely brutal. In fact, every Polish death metal band I've listened to so far is of the skull-cracking, blistering raging intensity side of things.

Methyl1

Awards
Going to watch King Diamond May 17th here in Deep Ellum in Dallas, then Jun 11th is Def Leppard and Bryan Adams in Ft. Worth, then Jun.26th is Judas Priest and Queensryche at Smirnoff in Dallas. I saw Zakk Wylde and Black Label Society two weeks ago and it rocked.

I am a big 80's metal fan, I cant really get into the new metal, not melodic enough and the vocals suck. Nobody wants to do a damn solo anymore, no classical based pentatonic scales, hammer ons and pull offs, arrpegios and triplets. Its all just chug chug chug chug, and then yelling.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Decapitated is pretty awesome, a little heavy for my taste but good

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I am a big 80's metal fan, I cant really get into the new metal, not melodic enough and the vocals suck. Nobody wants to do a damn solo anymore, no classical based pentatonic scales, hammer ons and pull offs, arrpegios and triplets. Its all just chug chug chug chug, and then yelling.
Its because the wankery got out of hand..you'll still hear a ripping solo from bands like Behemoth, Soilwork, Inflames, Godforbid, and Evergrey.

BV

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
yea dude if that is what you think of the newer metal, then your not listening to the right metal, your listening to poser metal. Give the bands Big V is talking about a try, youll like them.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's still plenty of good soloing to be found out there. Death is one band that really comes to mind, as well as Arch Enemy, Diablo, Nile, etc. etc.

I never really have been much of a fan of 80's flavored metal though, I find it for the most part to be cheesy. The big hair and leather pants bugs the **** outta me, along with the "power of metal!!!!" soaring vocals and sing along choruses.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
alot of what people call 80's metal is not really metal at all, its glam rock. Bands like twisted sister, white snake, def leppard. 80s metal is more like dio, motorhead, judas preist. Imo both genres suck. The only good 80s metal band is iron maiden.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is some stuff from the 80's I used to dig, don't get me wrong. I was a huge Metallica fan back in the day, as well as Maiden, although most of what that band has released lately bores me half to tears.

Methyl1

Awards
alot of what people call 80's metal is not really metal at all, its glam rock. Bands like twisted sister, white snake, def leppard. 80s metal is more like dio, motorhead, judas preist. Imo both genres suck. The only good 80s metal band is iron maiden.
Ok, I just tried some samples on Amazon of the bands recommended here:

Behemoth= bunch of noise and powerchords, guitar work blows. Album: Satanica

Soilwork = Great guitar work, vocals suck. Albums sampled: Steel Bath Suicide , The Chain Heart Machine

In Flames = Great guitar work again vocals are not too good, just bunch of growling. Albums sampled: Jester Race/Black Ash
Inheritance, Whoracle.

God Forbid = Decent Guitar work, growling vocals not suited to my taste. Album = Determination, Gone Forever

To sum it up, the guitars were pretty good, especially on Soilwork on the first track there was a sweet solo. But the vocals put me off big time, I dont like that screaming and yelling 1000 miles per hour type vocals. But to each his own, if it does it for you and gets you fired up then all the power to you.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found that DM style growled vocals were an aquired taste for myself, but I now find myself preferring that style of vocal delivery. The first time I was exposed to these vocals was early Edge of Sanity, and it was truly offestting for myself at the time. I now find that the aggressive, in your face nature of growled vocals does psyche me up though.

One band I think you might enjoy is Control Denied. It was the final piece of work of my favorite metal guitarist of all-time, Chuck Shuldiner. That guy had a real way of making a guitar sing that I've yet to find anyone else that compares (the Death album Symbolic is easily my favorite disc). The vocals shouldn't bother you in the least either.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
the singer from soilwork has an awesome voice when he sings, check out the there newer albums, they have more singing. todays metal just might not be for you,

Methyl1

Awards
the singer from soilwork has an awesome voice when he sings, check out the there newer albums, they have more singing. todays metal just might not be for you,
I listened to some of the Newer Soilwork, not bad. It goes from heavy to then soft choruses, which is not bad at all. I really like the melodic guitar work, its great stuff and I love that kind of playing style. You guys need to check out some King Diamond, he is the one that started all the black metal melodic death metal stuff, the solo's and vocals are amazing, its like listening to a Handel Opera transposed for Metal.

King Diamond albums i recommend and also check out Mercyful Fate which started by King Diamond.

Fatal Portrait
Abigail
Them
Conspiracy
Puppet Master

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i personally think satriani started alot of that stuff. most of the music i listen too began with iron maiden. not a big kd fan