FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking Like a Bad a ss Bother!
Is that your first earthquake?
860 cal chicken breast? I guess you are going to be on a bulk!
Thank you brother! Second quake, but the first one was very minor by the time it reached where I was at in NC. This one was was enough to make me feel drunk when I was walking. As for bulking, I really dont know how to handle it. Always trying to rid of the fat, but this food is killing mw, and were outside working so much that if I DONT eat, Im starving. Guess Ill just see how it goes

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
*long slow clapping* you look great sir!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thank you brother! Second quake, but the first one was very minor by the time it reached where I was at in NC. This one was was enough to make me feel drunk when I was walking. As for bulking, I really dont know how to handle it. Always trying to rid of the fat, but this food is killing mw, and were outside working so much that if I DONT eat, Im starving. Guess Ill just see how it goes
You should have no problem bulking on chicken and rice platters, and chia. Lol

slicer89

slicer89

Awards
  • Established
Can you plan your meals around your workouts and most active times or is that impossible with the military life? That would allow most of the cals to be used as muscle and not stored as fat.

Shoulders looking like ****ing boulders.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Can you plan your meals around your workouts and most active times or is that impossible with the military life? That would allow most of the cals to be used as muscle and not stored as fat.

Shoulders looking like ****ing boulders.
but is there really any truth to this? calories in vs calories out in the day VS meal timing??

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looking awesome FireTitan

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
but is there really any truth to this? calories in vs calories out in the day VS meal timing??
Yes there is some truth to this, caloric balance is #1 priority, but the science can not be denied that there are biological differences surrounding training that give favorable nutrient partitioning effects. Does this effect total calories consumed, no but it definitely effects whether they are stored in the muscle as glycogen, burned in general daily use or are converted and stored as fat.

I think most estimates I have seen regarding what each of the factors have to do with composition tend to follow along these lines.

Caloric Balance 90%
Macros 5%
Meal Timing 5%

So if looking at that you can still get an A = 90% just off of caloric balance, that says a lot! The others have a pretty minimal effect, but an effect nonetheless. If an A is good enough no need to tweak things but if you want an A+ then I would say it is worth the extra effort.

Insulin Sensitivity, and Glut 4 reaction during and following resistance training are really the tweakable factors when it comes to macros and meal timing. Adding up to around 5% a piece and that is a generalized estimate based off of anecdotal evidence from what I have read. I would say that is probably immeasurable due to personal difference, but we all know that each macro requires different amounts of energy to digest, as well as having different hormonal reactions to their ingestion. So those things are measurable and proven and definitely have an effect on what happens to the calories consumed.

Think of it like this, if nutrients were cars at a busy intersection you are going to get more cars through to the appropriate places if you employ a traffic cop to direct traffic more efficiently. The only time that police officer is on duty directing nutrients more efficiently is postworkout.

It is definitely going to have a positive effect but yeah it is nothing compared to caloric balance.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
MrKleen73 thanks for your response. I workout at 4am and I do 16:8 fasting protocol and I eat from 2pm-8pm. In which during my cut I am consuming 1600-1700 calories during this time. I find this works great for me and found no issues with losing weight :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MrKleen73 thanks for your response. I workout at 4am and I do 16:8 fasting protocol and I eat from 2pm-8pm. In which during my cut I am consuming 1600-1700 calories during this time. I find this works great for me and found no issues with losing weight :)
kjkitzman No you wouldn't, that fasting program is all about meal timing, and hormone, more to the point insulin management. Specifically in that it directs you to eat most of your calories following training. As far as meal frequency goes, if that was part of the reference then yeah meal frequency has little to do with it over calories in VS calories out. No matter what time of day you eat 200g protein 200 carbs and 90 fats, it can only increase your metabolism by how much 200g of protein, 200g of carbs and 90grams of fat can. It doesn't matter if it is spread throughout the day or in one meal the net energy balance will be the same and the TEF (Thermic Effect of Food) will not change. The bigger thing with meal frequency is having essential amino acids available in the amino acid pool when the body is ready to start protein synthesis. This is why with the Lean Gains method, AKA 16:8 fasting he recommends having 5-10g of aminos every 2 hours after training if training early before you break the fast.

By the way unless that is a typo, you are only eating 6 hours out of the day. I think Martin recommends that the ladies run about a 14:10 fast. He seems to think the hormonal differences benefit women with slightly shorter fasts. Not sure if you are actually following his plan or just the similar outline of it.

Either way what you are doing is working, you look great, do you compete in anything?

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
kjkitzman No you wouldn't, that fasting program is all about meal timing, and hormone, more to the point insulin management. Specifically in that it directs you to eat most of your calories following training. As far as meal frequency goes, if that was part of the reference then yeah meal frequency has little to do with it over calories in VS calories out. No matter what time of day you eat 200g protein 200 carbs and 90 fats, it can only increase your metabolism by how much 200g of protein, 200g of carbs and 90grams of fat can. It doesn't matter if it is spread throughout the day or in one meal the net energy balance will be the same and the TEF (Thermic Effect of Food) will not change. The bigger thing with meal frequency is having essential amino acids available in the amino acid pool when the body is ready to start protein synthesis. This is why with the Lean Gains method, AKA 16:8 fasting he recommends having 5-10g of aminos every 2 hours after training if training early before you break the fast.

By the way unless that is a typo, you are only eating 6 hours out of the day. I think Martin recommends that the ladies run about a 14:10 fast. He seems to think the hormonal differences benefit women with slightly shorter fasts. Not sure if you are actually following his plan or just the similar outline of it.

Either way what you are doing is working, you look great, do you compete in anything?
I am fasting 18hrs and eating 6hrs. I find it hard to eat before 2pm sometimes its even 3pm! I want to start eating earlier though. And now that I am in a reverse diet I am sure this can happen because I am already struggling to hit my higher calories and its probably from my body being so used to eating at a certain time. Plus still using Radiate Thermogenic which kills my appetite LOL I have heard from other sources that aminos break your fast technically?

Thank you! I do not compete :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am fasting 18hrs and eating 6hrs. I find it hard to eat before 2pm sometimes its even 3pm! I want to start eating earlier though. And now that I am in a reverse diet I am sure this can happen because I am already struggling to hit my higher calories and its probably from my body being so used to eating at a certain time. Plus still using Radiate Thermogenic which kills my appetite LOL I have heard from other sources that aminos break your fast technically?

Just a question, why are you running Radiate and also Reverse dieting? Isn't that kind of oppositional to the goal of reverse dieting? If nothing else for your adrenals I would want you to come off of the Radiate for a bit. If reverse dieting you are trying to become more anabolic, not create catabolism. With Radiate you are creating a catabolic state, EI... fat burning. Also as you mentioned it is limiting your ability to increase calories, or at least making it uncomfortable for you to do so.

Unless running it for a specific log, or maybe as a pre-workout I would opt to stop it's use and focus on the reverse dieting. Then use it during mini cuts throughout your "offseason" aka winter months you may be focusing on growth.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established

I was wondering this also. I wanted to sit use it for a preworkout? Also I want to gradually reverse so I was afraid to not take the second scoop in the afternoon with the fear of getting super hungry and then eating over calories, in which I am still lower calories and trying to hit my macros. I was taking 3/4scoop twice a day and now I am doing 1/2 scoop twice a day.

I was thinking once I get to 1800 calories a day I could start just taking it pre-workout. Or Is there something else I could be doing?
FireTitan sorry for taking over your thread LOL

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was wondering this also. I wanted to sit use it for a preworkout? Also I want to gradually reverse so I was afraid to not take the second scoop in the afternoon with the fear of getting super hungry and then eating over calories, in which I am still lower calories and trying to hit my macros. I was taking 3/4scoop twice a day and now I am doing 1/2 scoop twice a day.

I was thinking once I get to 1800 calories a day I could start just taking it pre-workout. Or Is there something else I could be doing?
FireTitan sorry for taking over your thread LOL
Sure, if waiting until 1800 makes you more comfortable then do that, you are at 1600 now correct? How large are your increases and do you do it across the macros or focus on increasing carbs specifically. I would suggest adding in carbohydrate and only during the intra, and or post workout period at first. This makes it much easier to get in as well, it can be as easy as adding 25g of powdered carbs into your shake for a 100 calorie increase. No real need for additional food. Plus this will be more favorable as far as timing and managing insulin to be when you are pushing for anabolism. Right around the workout. The more carbs you can get in during this time frame the better for growth and recovery as long as it is going into the muscle and not spilling over which would honestly take a lot more carbs than you think if done right around the lift. Remember once glycogen is stored in a muscle, it can only be used by that muscle. Muscle is greedy with glycogen and does not share. So no worries about elevated blood sugar later on, or anything like that.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Sure, if waiting until 1800 makes you more comfortable then do that, you are at 1600 now correct? How large are your increases and do you do it across the macros or focus on increasing carbs specifically. I would suggest adding in carbohydrate and only during the intra, and or post workout period at first. This makes it much easier to get in as well, it can be as easy as adding 25g of powdered carbs into your shake for a 100 calorie increase. No real need for additional food. Plus this will be more favorable as far as timing and managing insulin to be when you are pushing for anabolism. Right around the workout. The more carbs you can get in during this time frame the better for growth and recovery as long as it is going into the muscle and not spilling over which would honestly take a lot more carbs than you think if done right around the lift. Remember once glycogen is stored in a muscle, it can only be used by that muscle. Muscle is greedy with glycogen and does not share. So no worries about elevated blood sugar later on, or anything like that.
Currently at 1700 and this is my first week. I have stayed consistently the same weight this week. I do 10g carbs 2g fats each week. So about 60 calories each week.

So next week will 1,760 calories. I fast though and will continue to fast until 12p. Training will stay at 4am since this is what I prefer and can get it in at that time since my little boy is sleeping and can run downstairs before work. Otherwise after work and he is running around its hard to lift. I am also using FD2 during my meals.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Currently at 1700 and this is my first week. I have stayed consistently the same weight this week. I do 10g carbs 2g fats each week. So about 60 calories each week.

So next week will 1,760 calories. I fast though and will continue to fast until 12p. Training will stay at 4am since this is what I prefer and can get it in at that time since my little boy is sleeping and can run downstairs before work. Otherwise after work and he is running around its hard to lift. I am also using FD2 during my meals.
Do you spike aminos every 2 hours after training until you break your fast?

Oh by the way you mentioned do aminos break the fast. The answer is really yes, and no... Yes consuming anything that provided energy officially means you are no longer fasting or fasted. Also they provide an insulin spike, but it is not of great magnitude, nor does it increase blood sugar, if anything it lowers it. So your hormones quickly tip back to more of a Glucagon balance than insulin balance. Glucagon is the opposing hormone to insulin. It tells the body to burn fat and preserve muscle. With early training and the fasting the thought is that it is more important to spur on some extra protein synthesis post workout than it is detrimental to the fat loss process to add in the aminos.

Now I do what I call Build and Burn days quite often and when I do that my burn days are non lifting days and I do not take any aminos during the fast at all on Burn days. Let that day be 100% focused on burning fat. I often even extend my fast into the late afternoon or early evening on those days. Although longer fasts than 16 hours Martin recommends against due to the fact that the body starts burning a higher ratio of visceral fat than sub-q fat. However to me I do not see this as a problem, especially for men as we tend to carry more visceral fat. Add to that, that the increase in visceral fat burning is not at the expense of sub-q fat burning but is due to increased total fat burned in the later hours of a longer fast.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Do you spike aminos every 2 hours after training until you break your fast?

Oh by the way you mentioned do aminos break the fast. The answer is really yes, and no... Yes consuming anything that provided energy officially means you are no longer fasting or fasted. Also they provide an insulin spike, but it is not of great magnitude, nor does it increase blood sugar, if anything it lowers it. So your hormones quickly tip back to more of a Glucagon balance than insulin balance. Glucagon is the opposing hormone to insulin. It tells the body to burn fat and preserve muscle. With early training and the fasting the thought is that it is more important to spur on some extra protein synthesis post workout than it is detrimental to the fat loss process to add in the aminos.

Now I do what I call Build and Burn days quite often and when I do that my burn days are non lifting days and I do not take any aminos during the fast at all on Burn days. Let that day be 100% focused on burning fat. I often even extend my fast into the late afternoon or early evening on those days. Although longer fasts than 16 hours Martin recommends against due to the fact that the body starts burning a higher ratio of visceral fat than sub-q fat. However to me I do not see this as a problem, especially for men as we tend to carry more visceral fat. Add to that, that the increase in visceral fat burning is not at the expense of sub-q fat burning but is due to increased total fat burned in the later hours of a longer fast.
I havent been taking aminos during my fast when I diet since it does break the fast and I want the full benefit of fasting. But I was going to start once I get back up to my maintenance calories.

I have like .03% visceral fat according to my dexa scan lol. But that is all very good info!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I havent been taking aminos during my fast when I diet since it does break the fast and I want the full benefit of fasting. But I was going to start once I get back up to my maintenance calories.

I have like .03% visceral fat according to my dexa scan lol. But that is all very good info!!
Makes sense, most people in decent shape that also follow fasting will have lower visceral fat levels due to less insulin exposure in general. Visceral fat really grows more when insulin remains higher. That is not too likely with fasting. You have the larger part of the day with very low insulin, and then a spike during the feeding period when you need it. So levels don't stay chronically elevated to gain that much visceral fat.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Makes sense, most people in decent shape that also follow fasting will have lower visceral fat levels due to less insulin exposure in general. Visceral fat really grows more when insulin remains higher. That is not too likely with fasting. You have the larger part of the day with very low insulin, and then a spike during the feeding period when you need it. So levels don't stay chronically elevated to gain that much visceral fat.
perfect, one more question as now I am in a reverse diet. then going into a lean bulk for a female, do I need to be supplementing creatine?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
perfect, one more question as now I am in a reverse diet. then going into a lean bulk for a female, do I need to be supplementing creatine?
Personally I take creatine year round. used to cycle it but didn't see any need. This stuff has been studied like crazy.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Personally I take creatine year round. used to cycle it but didn't see any need. This stuff has been studied like crazy.
I would definitely supplement it if you have either performance goals you want to meet, or your goals include gaining lean body mass. Creating is probably the most studied supplement out there. It definitely works and as Studhorse said, there is no legitimate reason to cycle it on or off.

Creatine helps with localized IGF expression in the muscles, this is where IGF makes the difference when locally created in the muscle. It also helps by quickly converting to ATP which allows you to get a few extra reps in before you crap out. That adds a decent amount of volume over time which adds up to more muscle. Whether a male or female if serious about growth and open to supplementation then creatine should be on your list of staples. Even when dieting or cutting.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I would definitely supplement it if you have either performance goals you want to meet, or your goals include gaining lean body mass. Creating is probably the most studied supplement out there. It definitely works and as Studhorse said, there is no legitimate reason to cycle it on or off.

Creatine helps with localized IGF expression in the muscles, this is where IGF makes the difference when locally created in the muscle. It also helps by quickly converting to ATP which allows you to get a few extra reps in before you crap out. That adds a decent amount of volume over time which adds up to more muscle. Whether a male or female if serious about growth and open to supplementation then creatine should be on your list of staples. Even when dieting or cutting.
thank you!! Good to know. Sorry FireTitan for taking over far to long... going into hiding now. Meaning my own thread :) LOL

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thank you!! Good to know. Sorry FireTitan for taking over far to long... going into hiding now. Meaning my own thread :) LOL
FireTitan doesn't care! Trust me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Where you at brother FireTitan

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hopefully his is busy making that money!

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I saw him over at IG two days ago,and he’s looking like a Beast!