The Anabolic Diet

gator67

gator67

Awards
I would download my fitness pal or livestrong my plate to track calories and macros. They both have good databases, and I often use them both to cross check and get accurate counts.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Isocaloric means getting an equal% of calories from the three macronutrients. Basically the zone diet. I'd probably recommend 40% protein,30% carbs, and 30% fats. There are different schools of thought on the carbs. Spread them out evenly, eat the majority in the morning and around workouts, or mostly in the evening and around workouts. It's very individual. Thus is probably an easy"diet" to start with and then make the transition to a low or very low carb plan.
Good advice, but for the record, that is not what isocaloric means.
As liftandswim correctly noted, isocaloric literally means same calories: ie: caloric intake equal to ones expenditure.

gator67

gator67

Awards
The isocaloric diet is a moderate-carbohydrate, moderate-fat diet that allows dieters to eat whatever they want as long as they consume the same amount of carbohydrates, proteins and fats daily. Promising quick weight loss with minimal muscle loss, the isocaloric diet is popular among bodybuilders.

gator67

gator67

Awards
Dark Knight, not meaning to confuse you here. There are some great web sites with all this info, calorie trackers, food databases, TDEE calculators(your daily calorie expenditure),etc. Pick one, figure your starting point, and usr a calorie tracker. Unless you have medical issues shoot for a 500 calorie per day deficit. Weigh yourself WEEKLY. Best of luck and best wishes.

Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Awards
Thanks for the info guys. will do. I will let you know how it goes

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I appreciate all your info and advice. Unfortunately I am unable to focus on a strict diet for a while since our son has arrived but my wife did not survive. I must now raise our children alone (daughter age 8 and newborn son). I will do as xR1pp3Rx and begin cutting my carbs. I will return here in 2 months with updates. Again, thank you all.
I am truely sorry brother. My condolences. Best wishes for you along your journey.

volt

volt

Awards
Sup guys, so I'm trying to lean out some and I've been looking into this diet. So far I have down what I think would be a perfect plan macro and calorie wise.
5'10

Is there anything someone might add? I'll post a picture of my macros and of my diet.
How is the diet going for you man? I have been on it for 4 or 5 weeks now. I have lost like 2 lbs. I am just now starting to feel right again, or normal. I'm not a big carb eater but apparently I was more dependant on them than I thought. I do feel like I am retaining muscle though. In about another week I am going to cut my calories back a small amount to see if I can speed weight loss up to about 2 lbs a week.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Right on man, did you do the full 2 weeks before your refeed? I believe the fluctuation of weight should be about 8 pounds while losing about a pound a week. That's atleast how it worked for me. I got down to 195 from 200. That's as far as I got. I couldn't deal with being flat with zero pump to be honest. I'm still eating lean red meat and cheese with high fiber but my carbs are slightly higher. I'm not really to focused on weight loss at the moment but more on performance. What are your cals now and how is your diet set up?

volt

volt

Awards
Yeah, I did two weeks. My first refeed I did go up 9lbs over night,lol. But since then I haven't seen much fluctuation in weight. I carb up but only put on a pound or two. I get a great pump though after my refeed. Other than that I am flat as hell. I hate that feeling/look. I start my refeed Friday evening. I do a full body workout on Friday and I start my refeed right after. When I wake up Saturday I have a good look. Starting to look full again. By Sunday I probably look and feel my best. I end my refeed Sunday evening. Then I do a half body on Monday, half body on Tuesday . By Wednesday I am going flat again. Thursday i do a little cardio, then back to the full body on Friday. Energy level seems kind of low but I still get my lifts in. I am currently eating just over 3100 calories a day on my low carb days. My refeed I really don't track, I just go on how I feel. I imagine that I eat between 3200 to 3600 calories a day on my refeed. This past weekend however I really didn't eat much because I got bloated as hell by noon Saturday. My diet is decent. I try to get plenty of fat from fish and olive oil and Avocados. However I have been crushing some bacon! Lots of steak and red meat and a ton of whole eggs. I had to cut back on dairy (cheese) because IT was making me look soft. After I cut it back I dried back out a bit. I hate losing weight (bulk for life) but I would really like to lean out in my waist. I have hereditary love handles. It sucks. So that is really my sole reason for wanting to lose weight. 1 to 2 lbs a week is fine with me, not looking for drastic loss. I figure by this time next week my body should be settled into this diet so I will cut back 100 cals a day and see what happens. I hope to follow this until fall. Then I will jump back on a clean bulk. That's my true happy place.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hemavol guys.. you don't need to be flat while on low carbs.

gator67

gator67

Awards
PWO only or as a daily supplement? I usually take a creatine/citrulline/agmatine PWO and bcaas/creatine post. Just creatine currently on off days. I'm only on day 5 so not experiencing the flatness yet, just a reduced bloating in abdomen, which is great.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
if you are worried about the flatness you can take it every day. but really who give s a sh!t until your diced anyhow? the only person in the world that would know youre "flat" is you! people don't look at you from day to day trying to decide if you ate your weaties this morning or not. its ridiculous to worry about that if your trying to lose fat.

once youre at your goal weight and BF % then worry about getting and maintaining the pump. my 2 cents of course.

volt

volt

Awards
Yeah, I hear what you are saying. It's more about the feeling though for me. By Wednesday every week I feel like I have shrunk,lol.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I hear what you are saying. It's more about the feeling though for me. By Wednesday every week I feel like I have shrunk,lol.
Personally, ive been eating the same basically except on the days that i workout i eat carbs before i train. Not to high of carbs though, like 20-40 grams. Its really helped my workouts. yeah ive gained some weight doing it but i feel alot better and dont have the flat feeling. and to me and my workouts have improved 100% .

gator67

gator67

Awards
Hey man, how's the diet going? Still eating carbs before workouts?

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
It's going good, for the past week I tried upping my carbs some and started to feel like chit so while keeping my cals at around 3100. I'm back to the minimal amount of carbs if any pre workout. With them the pump is better but I know I'll get leaner without em haha

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Matt, you should look into Carb Backloading.

As for the rest of us over 20%'s, stick with Anabolic Diet, Body Opus, Ultimate Diet 2.0 or even Carb Nite. They're all basically the same. I strongly suggest reading at least one of those books to familiarize yourself with the terms and concepts.

If some of you are still having a hard time I would look into the different forms of HIIT and at least try a real HIIT program. Don't assume your hour of racquetball qualifies as HIIT, it doesn't.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fwiw, I'm currently carb back loading on workout days, and low carbing it on off days. Changed up my program to be very high volume HIIT work with barbell complexes as the focus of my workout, but still hitting everything with some isolation work as well. Full body 3x a week with LISS on off days for recovery. Seems to be working out great.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff Gutter, you must be part machine by now. Soon as I shed a little more flab I'm going to move to a routine more like yours.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good stuff Gutter, you must be part machine by now. Soon as I shed a little more flab I'm going to move to a routine more like yours.
This routine along with some good supplementation, is what I'm using to get down to 10% bf if I can. The upside is that I don't have to do any running/sprinting. My mobility is not where it should be for sprints, so barbell complexes is where it's at! Trying to stay injury free.