Milk = Trash??!!

Pirate

Awards
Hey Guys,

I talked to a personal trainer(All natural bb) who is pretty reputable(judges alot of bodybuilding shows around New England) and told me some neggative things about milk. He said that milk covers the inside of the stomach making for less protiens to be absorbed into the body....or somthing along those lines. Has anyone heard any thing about this? Any input would be really helpful!

Thanks,

-Pirate

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

I talked to a personal trainer(All natural bb) who is pretty reputable(judges alot of bodybuilding shows around New England) and told me some neggative things about milk. He said that milk covers the inside of the stomach making for less protiens to be absorbed into the body....or somthing along those lines. Has anyone heard any thing about this? Any input would be really helpful!

Thanks,

-Pirate
Any kind of food you eat will coat your stomach...

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've read a lot of negative **** about milk too (I think there's a big thread under BB.com's steroid board), and have some concerns, but honestly, milk and it's derivatives make up a large portion of my diet - 1% milk, LF cottage cheese, LF swiss cheese, carb countdown choco milk, several lbs. of ON whey a month! I can't rely on canned tuna and eggs alone as a cheap protein source. I've got a couple of lactose intolerant friends - I don't know how the hell they do it!

I think there's probably some truth to some of the negative info, but some is propagated by PETA and other anti-dairy factions.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Amino's are absorbed in the small intestine, not the stomach.

westniles

Awards
I don't care what they say, I am drinking my milk damn it!

DougMan

Awards
Yea people like to hate on milk sometimes. As long as it isnt whole milk I dont really see a problem with it. The sugar has a low GI value, so its not like you are getting 11 grams of dextrose a serving. I dont rely on it as a main source of protein anymore because I found that all the volume makes it hard to east anything else. But for shakes with bananas and peanut butter its pretty much neccesary.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only realy problem is people that are lactose intolerant. Many people have a mild condition that they don't even know about and could cause some bloating and gas. Even then if you just cut down on the amount and increase enzyme intake the problem is solved.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've heard everything from it causing kidney stones to all other sorts of problems. All I can say is if its so terrible, the human animal would not produce it for our own young.

--grandson of a dairy farmer, so I might be biased, lol.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I've heard everything from it causing kidney stones to all other sorts of problems. All I can say is if its so terrible, the human animal would not produce it for our own young.

You are 100% correct. Mother's produce milk b/c it's the best nutrition source that God/nature (what ever you believe in) can produce to ensure the survival of the species. The anit-milk thing is mostly propaganda pushed by certain special interest groups in my opinion. Irregardless, I will continue to drink cow's milk in moderation b/c: 1) It's a cheap source of protein & 2) I like the tast. BTW, the new low carb milk is great.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
You are 100% correct. Mother's produce milk b/c it's the best nutrition source that God/nature (what ever you believe in) can produce to ensure the survival of the species. The anit-milk thing is mostly propaganda pushed by certain special interest groups in my opinion. Irregardless, I will continue to drink cow's milk in moderation b/c: 1) It's a cheap source of protein & 2) I like the tast. BTW, the new low carb milk is great.
Yeah, did anyone happen to see the segment they had on the news last night about anti-formula feedings?

Also, has anyone else had good things to say about those Lactaid pills? I went ahead and bought a bottle of them, to help with my whey digesting problems, but didn't notice a thing....

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established

If you look at the other animal species though, they stop drinking milk after weaning. Also, we are the only species to drink another species milk(unless given to them by us, ie cats etc). I drink milk on occasion with some of my protein shakes but that's it. I don't think its something horrible but I don't necessarily think its all that good either. Whole milk might be beneficial during a bulking cycle due to all of bovine growth hormone that is probably present in it.;)

size

Awards
  • Established
If you look at the other animal species though, they stop drinking milk after weaning. Also, we are the only species to drink another species milk(unless given to them by us, ie cats etc). I drink milk on occasion with some of my protein shakes but that's it. I don't think its something horrible but I don't necessarily think its all that good either

I agree with you for the most part. The "pro" and "anti" milk people have agendas, and unfortunately it is not the public's health.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you for the most part. The "pro" and "anti" milk people have agendas, and unfortunately it is not the public's health.

Very true. I simply view milk as part of the necessary protein arsenal needed for muscle growth. I could do with out it but I'd be handicapped without whey, milk, cottage cheese et cetera. I do like the taste of the new low carb milk with ON's 100% whey..Mmmm mm!

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
this "we are the only people to drink another species milk thing" is silly.

i say SO WHAT?

we are also the only species to: shave, cook our food, take multivitamins, inject steroids, brush our teeth, drink coffee, drink wine. use soap, etc.

it doesn't mean it is "bad"

the anti-milk thing comes from one major push: peta (and peta-types) and their anti-animal product agenda. the science is simply NOT THERE. yes, for lactose intolerant people milk (without supplemental lactase enzyme, etc.) is a bad thing. well, for people who are allergic to peanuts, peanuts are a bad thing too. it doesn't make it bad in and of itself

milk has a very good protein profile. it also has calcium and other stuff.

it's a good PART of a good diet.

i am well aware some bbers think milk is bad. whatEver.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Foxx- Whole milk has GH? whaa? I drink fat free milk, it actually has more protein than whole milk! :)

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I would think that whole milk would contain more bovine growth serum(or its metabolites) than other kinds of milk, but that doesn't mean it would do anything. I was just being facetious(sp?).

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
If you look at the other animal species though, they stop drinking milk after weaning.
Because producing milk is a large burden to put on the animal that is lactating.

Also, we are the only species to drink another species milk(unless given to them by us, ie cats etc).
We are also the only species to domesticate other species for the purposes of getting milk and other things from them.

/karp

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We are also the only species to domesticate other species for the purposes of getting milk and other things from them.

/karp
This is the main reaosn we can actually tolerate lactose now. Initial lactase production is supposed to taper off a couple year after your born but due to the increased use of dairy over the last 500 years we have adapted to the increased consumption of lactose (chalk one up for Darwin)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, did anyone happen to see the segment they had on the news last night about anti-formula feedings?

Also, has anyone else had good things to say about those Lactaid pills? I went ahead and bought a bottle of them, to help with my whey digesting problems, but didn't notice a thing....
Get the liquid version, it only takes about 8 drops/gal then let it sit overnight. You will know if it worked because the milk will be very sweet the next day if the lactose broke down. Milk can cause some intestinal issues, but it's designed by nature to poduce fast growth. That's what we are looking for here right! It can promote stone formation, but is self limiting because alkaline gastrointestinal environment does not lend itself to Ca+ absorb. It should be avoided after work out because of the lactic acid contribution(i do it anyway) but the main prob is in the fat phase. I used to work in a lab that tested whole milk and I can tell you, I've only consumed skim after seeing those LC results. Milk fat has a lot of nasty crap in it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It should be avoided after work out because of the lactic acid contribution(i do it anyway) .
Thats been highly overblown....

I agree though if its whole milk. Fats post workout are a defininte no no just because of the increase in LPL activity.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Dr. D, I didn't know they made a liquid version, thanks for the heads up...

I consume milk all day long either in my shakes or w/ a meal besides PWO...And I drink whole milk to help get in my fat content....are you guys saying that it isn't healthy that way? IOW's would it be better to use skim milk, and add in another Tbsp. of oil to make up for the fat content in whole milk that I'd miss?? Oil is usually either extra virgin olive, extra lite olive, canola, etc....once in a while I'll splurge and buy some flax...

Verdict anyone??

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definetly better.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
yep, I use flax and sometime splurge for the borage. Some bad enviro. toxins concentrate in milk fat: pseudo-estogens, PCB's, blood thinning substances, pesticides, etc... If you have to do it, 1% max. Plus the LPL activity Bobo addressed. Trust me, try to avoid milk fat.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I always have flax oil in the diet...skim milk only, seems I get too much mucose in the membranes with any with fat milk, and that lactaid stuff works good...not for me...but a certain family member that can protrude the foulest smelling odors after a lactose product..clear the room..

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I always have flax oil in the diet...skim milk only, seems I get too much mucose in the membranes with any with fat milk, and that lactaid stuff works good...not for me...but a certain family member that can protrude the foulest smelling odors after a lactose product..clear the room..
So you noticed that you had less mucous when switching to skim? Thats another reason for me to go skim....I get that like crazy...

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
although expensive, this milk variation is gaining popularity very quickly here.

http://www.a2corporation.com/

can anyone tell me if it would be any more advantageous to bodybuilders than regular milk?

Jag

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Jag, interesting read there.. and personally.. I don't know if it would help or not...

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Get the liquid version, it only takes about 8 drops/gal then let it sit overnight. You will know if it worked because the milk will be very sweet the next day if the lactose broke down. Milk can cause some intestinal issues, but it's designed by nature to poduce fast growth. That's what we are looking for here right! It can promote stone formation, but is self limiting because alkaline gastrointestinal environment does not lend itself to Ca+ absorb. It should be avoided after work out because of the lactic acid contribution(i do it anyway) but the main prob is in the fat phase. I used to work in a lab that tested whole milk and I can tell you, I've only consumed skim after seeing those LC results. Milk fat has a lot of nasty crap in it.
Interesting, I never thought of getting the liquid and just mixing it with the milk in its container, I'll have to try that. I love milk but my body does not digest it very well :( . I've tried Lactase Enzyme tablets but they only worked the first time I tried them...