Keeping Up With The Yates': A Couple's Training Log

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Awesome back workout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you train early in the morning every day?
We do!! We are there by 5am Tues-Thurs, and we get there around 7am on the weekends (when he's off work). I sometimes go a little later, if my son has to go with me that day.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome back workout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you train early in the morning every day?
Always. I'm programmed to lift in the morning now, just part of my daily routine. Plus I work a physical job 6 days a week and 10 or more hours a day. Now way I can lift after work

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Always. I'm programmed to lift in the morning now, just part of my daily routine. Plus I work a physical job 6 days a week and 10 or more hours a day. Now way I can lift after work
Ever since I switched to early morning workouts, it's hard to even go in the afternoon. Which I have to do occasionally on the weekends.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Love Lifting in the AM

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Test levels are higher in the morning as well

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Much rather early morning workouts but having to get up at 4:30 just to make it to work kills that. But weekends I train in the morning for sure!

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Good morning!! Today was shoulder day for me.

Warmed up on the ellipitical & did some dynamic stretching.

Db shoulder press
10x12x4

Front Db raise
8x10x4

Upright row
20x10x4

Arnold press
10x12x3

Lateral raise
8x10x4

Bent over reverse fly
10x10x4

I felt really good this morning. I honestly could have kept right on going.

Last night I went to the gym & attended the 30 min Insanity class. Holy crap...it kicked my butt. It was a great body weight workout though. The class used to be 2 nights a week, but is down to just Monday nights now. The new PT at our gym is the instructor of the Insanity. She has asked me if I'd be interested in learning the program & doing the modified version along with her during the classes. That way people can follow me or her depending on their abilities. Since, Monday is an off day from lifting & I still felt great this morning I think I'm going to do it. After the class,* I also joined her to walk with a lady who is trying to lose a significant amount of weight. She has lost 60 lbs so far....YAY!! She is currently near 400lbs & really trying. I'm going to be her additional walking buddy 2 days a week. She really just needs an ear & someone to believe in her. I hope* can at least offer her that & keep her motivated.

I have PIYO tonight. I DO NOT want to give up PIYO, but we'll see how doing it on Tuesdays goes (since tge gym switched all the class days around), with training legs Wednesday mornings.

I hope everyone enjoys their day!!

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can get up in the mornings and go, but for some reason I'm more of a night owl and lift better in the afternoons. Plus I have a weird schedule. Btw nice shoulder workout!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was wondering if it was real, but I've seen it on a lot of satirical sites!

I couldn't pass up the oppurtunity to give yates84 a hard time.
No doubt, I originally did not intend to post the video but then I wanted to make sure it was the same kid. LOL Since it was I figured I would share.
I did it this way for years.
Ever since I switched to early morning workouts, it's hard to even go in the afternoon. Which I have to do occasionally on the weekends.
Exactly, ever since I worked out in the AM, I can't really stand being at a gym in the afternoon or evening. Too many people milling around without enough focus. Now i am lifting in the evenings but that is in my garage. Nobody gets in my way! I do want to start getting back up in the mornings though.
Much rather early morning workouts but having to get up at 4:30 just to make it to work kills that. But weekends I train in the morning for sure!
When I do workout in the AM I am actually at the gym by 4:30.
I can get up in the mornings and go, but for some reason I'm more of a night owl and lift better in the afternoons. Plus I have a weird schedule. Btw nice shoulder workout!
Everyone, or basically everyone should be stronger in the afternoon / evenings. There are many reasons for this, one of them being that your CNS is more efficient in the afternoon than when you first wake up. The second is typically those who lift in the AM do so fasted, or with just some aminos or something. So blood sugar levels are not optimal for training in the morning.

For most I think the allure of the morning workout is 3 fold, 1 the gym is empty or close to it, 2 - if you workout in the morning nothing can happen during the rest of the day to make you miss your workout. 3, most of us feel more productive when we worked out in the morning.

Now I just need to get myself used to waking up early again. Harder to do it now that I have my garage set up. I like being in the garage now, 100+ degrees and all!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
+ 1 for early morning training. Even on the weekend if I can't make it in until noon I don't lift the same.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Relationship goal= Find a swolemate like the Yates!

Haha, I made a rhyme!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I can never go back to afternoons now.

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
I like going to the classes at the gym in the evenings, but the weight floor is packed at that time of day. I could never go in the afternoon/evenings with how crowded it is. Plus, I like weight training with hubby.

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Good morning. I woke up feeling a bit off this morning. I started feeling nauseous on the way to the gym. Once at the gym, I was having light dizzy & nausea spells. So, I just got in what I could without pushing too hard...didn't want to pass out or puke on the floor.

Goblet Squat w/kettlebell
25x12x4

Smith machine squat
40x10x4

Leg press machine
80x10x4

Seated leg curl
40x10x4

Low cable kickback
20x12x4

Shew!!! My legs were still feeling that workout, because they were a little sore from PIYO last night. I think I'm going to switch to the Thursday night PIYO class. Then I won't be fatigued & sore for leg day on Wednesdays.

I'm also wanting to change up my routine a bit. I want to stay on a 5 day split, but I'd like to start working smaller muscle groups twice a week. So, I'm actually going to sit down with the PT I've made friends with at the gym and she is going to help me rework my regimen some!!

I hope everyone has an awesome hump day!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like going to the classes at the gym in the evenings, but the weight floor is packed at that time of day. I could never go in the afternoon/evenings with how crowded it is. Plus, I like weight training with hubby.
That is so sexy! I loved when my wife lifted with me before she got sick. She is such a beast in the weight room when she gets in there. It is quality time even if you are just communicating through a series of grunts and charade like gestures because you have head phones on. Just a cohesive bonded unit.
Good morning. I woke up feeling a bit off this morning. I started feeling nauseous on the way to the gym. Once at the gym, I was having light dizzy & nausea spells. So, I just got in what I could without pushing too hard...didn't want to pass out or puke on the floor.

Goblet Squat w/kettlebell
25x12x4

Smith machine squat
40x10x4

Leg press machine
80x10x4

Seated leg curl
40x10x4

Low cable kickback
20x12x4

Shew!!! My legs were still feeling that workout, because they were a little sore from PIYO last night. I think I'm going to switch to the Thursday night PIYO class. Then I won't be fatigued & sore for leg day on Wednesdays.

I'm also wanting to change up my routine a bit. I want to stay on a 5 day split, but I'd like to start working smaller muscle groups twice a week. So, I'm actually going to sit down with the PT I've made friends with at the gym and she is going to help me rework my regimen some!!

I hope everyone has an awesome hump day!!!
Great leg day!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like training alone best I think, I mean in an empty gym. I don't like people seeing me in that kind of pain and I can feel free to go complete animal. It's not a pretty sight. hehe

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like training alone best I think, I mean in an empty gym. I don't like people seeing me in that kind of pain and I can feel free to go complete animal. It's not a pretty sight. hehe
I like it also, but it's because I don't want people laughing at the light weight I use!!

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wednesday lower body hypertrophy

Squats (for speed)
6×4 w/205

Hack squat
3×13 w/ 140 lb

Leg press
3×15 w/ 6 plates

Leg extensions
3×15 w/ 100 lb

Deadlifts
3×12 w/ 205 lb

Lying leg curls
3×12 w/ 80 lb

Seated leg curl
2×18 w/ 70 lb

Donkey calf raises (on leg press)
2×12 w/ 8 plates

Seated calf raises
3×17 w/ 2 plates

Hobbled out of the gym. Now back to the real world, truck is dead and have guys waiting on me. Yay.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like it also, but it's because I don't want people laughing at the light weight I use!!
Hey I train light, and I get 10 X the results using more tension, so they can laugh :)

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I second this^^^ YatesWifey04 says I yalk to myself and do weird things in the gym, no one needs to see that

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I second this^^^ YatesWifey04 says I yalk to myself and do weird things in the gym, no one needs to see that
lol at least we're self actualized :)

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha, ditto! I miss training at 12-2 am when the gym was empty. Best time for douchebag gym selfies, too! Ha

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, ditto! I miss training at 12-2 am when the gym was empty. Best time for douchebag gym selfies, too! Ha
Yah having my own gym, I get to choose the rime so I can often get it empty. Doug gets loud when the gym is empty :)

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Haha, I found out I growl when I am in the gym. LOL When I am deep in the zone I can even be seen mentally prepping for a set pacing and growling. I never really realized it until I heard myself one day. I knew I growled when most people yell during a lift. I was told I did that years before I noticed myself growling in between sets. It isn't all the time or every set. Just an animalistic mentality that comes over me sometimes and I get my best workouts in this mode.

I do also talk to myself a little bit too. Like I said I get into my own head, no one else in the gym matters in that mode, unless they get in my way. Things I say are my thoughts or assertions to myself, and I don't care what others think about me. The only thing that is important then is what I am focusing on.

I will admit I thought it was actually pretty cool when I heard myself growl in between a set. I was like holy sh1t! Was that me? It was! How fugging cool that I am that deep into my workout right now!!!!

You talk, sing, & grunt A LOT!!!!
It is that I am surrounded yet I am confined by my concentration. Nothing else around really matters, our noises and words spur us on!
Yah having my own gym, I get to choose the rime so I can often get it empty. Doug gets loud when the gym is empty :)
I almost picture you like a white, slightly more proper CT Fletcher the way you describe it!

Hastur

Awards
Haha, I found out I growl when I am in the gym. LOL When I am deep in the zone I can even be seen mentally prepping for a set pacing and growling. I never really realized it until I heard myself one day. I knew I growled when most people yell during a lift. I was told I did that years before I noticed myself growling in between sets. It isn't all the time or every set. Just an animalistic mentality that comes over me sometimes and I get my best workouts in this mode.

I do also talk to myself a little bit too. Like I said I get into my own head, no one else in the gym matters in that mode, unless they get in my way. Things I say are my thoughts or assertions to myself, and I don't care what others think about me. The only thing that is important then is what I am focusing on.

I will admit I thought it was actually pretty cool when I heard myself growl in between a set. I was like holy sh1t! Was that me? It was! How fugging cool that I am that deep into my workout right now!!!!

It is that I am surrounded yet I am confined by my concentration. Nothing else around really matters, our noises and words spur us on!

I almost picture you like a white, slightly more proper CT Fletcher the way you describe it!
I just have to say, this is one of the most badass posts I've read it a while, haha. If I saw a man growling in the gym, I'd stay out of his way!

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Well, I met with the PT today about changing up my routine. She suggested a full body 4 day split training regimen. I'm going to try it, but not sure about the full body workouts. I think it will be a nice change of pace, but I've gotten used to my 5 day split where I concentrate on 1-2 muscle group(s) at a time.

My first workout will be the following....back squats, reciprocal bench press, standing close cable row, bulgarian split squats, push press, alternating DB curls, barbell tricep extensions, and good mornings. She's set me up with 12 reps of each for 4 sets at 75-80% of my 1RM.

My week will now look like...
Monday - 30 min Insanity class (evenings), LISS for 20-30 mins in the morning (as long as I feel up to it)
Tuesday - weight training
Wednesday - weight training
Thursday - 1 hour PIYO class (evening)
Friday - full rest day
Saturday - weight training
Sunday - weight training

I do like that I will be doing bigger compound movements (squats, deads, etc) at least twice a week now though.

Going to give it a try & see how it goes. Diet will stay the same, for now.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I met with the PT today about changing up my routine. She suggested a full body 4 day split training regimen. I'm going to try it, but not sure about the full body workouts. I think it will be a nice change of pace, but I've gotten used to my 5 day split where I concentrate on 1-2 muscle group(s) at a time.

My first workout will be the following....back squats, reciprocal bench press, standing close cable row, bulgarian split squats, push press, alternating DB curls, barbell tricep extensions, and good mornings. She's set me up with 12 reps of each for 4 sets at 75-80% of my 1RM.

My week will now look like...
Monday - 30 min Insanity class (evenings), LISS for 20-30 mins in the morning (as long as I feel up to it)
Tuesday - weight training
Wednesday - weight training
Thursday - 1 hour PIYO class (evening)
Friday - full rest day
Saturday - weight training
Sunday - weight training

I do like that I will be doing bigger compound movements (squats, deads, etc) at least twice a week now though.

Going to give it a try & see how it goes. Diet will stay the same, for now.
Oh, I thought the hubs was your trainer.

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I thought the hubs was your trainer.
Kinda! He got me started with a basic routine, showed me proper form, has pushed & encouraged me, and helped me get my diet in check. However, we agreed that the PT I met with today could probably help me change my routine up better. She primarily focuses on women's health & training. I keep telling him he needs to take the classes & get certified!! Then he'd have a wider range of knowledge & could do what he loves for a living!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Kinda! He got me started with a basic routine, showed me proper form, has pushed & encouraged me, and helped me get my diet in check. However, we agreed that the PT I met with today could probably help me change my routine up better. She primarily focuses on women's health & training. I keep telling him he needs to take the classes & get certified!! Then he'd have a wider range of knowledge & could do what he loves for a living!!
That's good! I was thinking about getting a PT, too. I need someone who'll be in my face and put my a** in check when I'm fcuking up.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awww....you still get to be the one in my face, encouraging me, & working out with me. She just put the plan together!! You'll never be fired.
Haha, I felt like the little kid who just saw her parents flirting and Kissing.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thursday chest and arms hypertrophy

Bench press (for speed)
6×4 w/ 195

Incline DB press
3×12 w/ 60 lb

Bench press
3×15 w/ 135

Incline cable flyes
3×12 w/ 25 lb

Preacher curl w/ Ez curl
3×12 w/ 75 lb

Concentration curls
3×18 w/ 15 lb

Spider curls
3×12 w/ 55 lb

Seated tricep extension w/ Ez curl
3×12 w/ 70 lb

Cable press downs
3×12 w/ 110 lb

Cable kickbacks
3×16 w/ 15 lb

Weight down to 159 today, I might just float away if this continues. Tomorrow is a rest day and I need it!

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Thursday chest and arms hypertrophy

Bench press (for speed)
6×4 w/ 195

Incline DB press
3×12 w/ 60 lb

Bench press
3×15 w/ 135

Incline cable flyes
3×12 w/ 25 lb

Preacher curl w/ Ez curl
3×12 w/ 75 lb

Concentration curls
3×18 w/ 15 lb

Spider curls
3×12 w/ 55 lb

Seated tricep extension w/ Ez curl
3×12 w/ 70 lb

Cable press downs
3×12 w/ 110 lb

Cable kickbacks
3×16 w/ 15 lb

Weight down to 159 today, I might just float away if this continues. Tomorrow is a rest day and I need it!
Great workout, babe. It felt really weird not to get up & go with you this morning. Threw my whole day off. Felt like I was dragging a$$ all day.

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
You know you are a gym rat when....you make sure to make it to PIYO class before leaving for the beach. I purposely waited to leave, later tonight, so I could go. I know I've said it before, but it is intense. My yoga mat is always covered in sweat!! We even have a few guys in the class now (all lifters) wanting to improve their flexibility & balance!! Maybe yates84 will try it with me sometime! :D

Excuse my resting bitch face...I was tired. This is me 20 mins after class...still a sweaty mess.

Attachments

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Enjoy your rest day Yates.

Ms Yates, I'm scared to say anything to that face. lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think you are cute!

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Enjoy your rest day Yates.

Ms Yates, I'm scared to say anything to that face. lol
Haha!! I have an awesome resting bitch face. I get told to smile, all the time, by strangers.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Haha, I felt like the little kid who just saw her parents flirting and Kissing.
So as my 16 year old daughter would say, y'all are so weird...lol