I need a supplement to help me cope right now

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Certainly, those who NEED medicine should take it. A chemical balance needs to be treated, and if it is something you can cope with during normal situations many people try but in a real moment of loss it becomes important to do so in order to keep the person from a downward spiral. My wife is BiPolar Type 2, so I am quite used to what happens if things are allowed to spiral out of control.
I recommend to anyone to never use ssri or snris. Thb and those are really the only medications any doctor will prescribe for long term depression treatment. I feel the best way is to you something for short periods to help through the hardest times(i mean pretty bad not like, "oh im having a bad day" ). I think anxiety meds, things like tianeptine, supplements, and last resort marijuana to get through slcertian situations, untill you can cope on your own is best.

I went down the antidepressants road, because of doctors making me. Let me just tell you they are awful drugs with drastic side effects, alter how you think but not what you think, so all the negative thoughts are still there but you get there differently. They make building muscle impossible.

I might be biased and not everyone will have my experiences, but i thought i should put this out there. The reason why i might be different, is i wasnt born with depression, anxiety, or any other disorders that i have. I developed them from concussions.

ironwiz

ironwiz

Awards
  • Established
I recommend to anyone to never use ssri or snris. Thb and those are really the only medications any doctor will prescribe for long term depression treatment. I feel the best way is to you something for short periods to help through the hardest times(i mean pretty bad not like, "oh im having a bad day" ). I think anxiety meds, things like tianeptine, supplements, and last resort marijuana to get through slcertian situations, untill you can cope on your own is best.

I went down the antidepressants road, because of doctors making me. Let me just tell you they are awful drugs with drastic side effects, alter how you think but not what you think, so all the negative thoughts are still there but you get there differently. They make building muscle impossible.

I might be biased and not everyone will have my experiences, but i thought i should put this out there. The reason why i might be different, is i wasnt born with depression, anxiety, or any other disorders that i have. I developed them from concussions.
I agree completely with what you are saying! prescription medication to treat those illness need to be an absolute last resort.

People should change their lifestyle first. ie. start yoga, meditation, change your diet .etc .etc

As for people saying not to take a supplements like 5-htp i would have to disagree. These supplements are natural and really help people in a time of need.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I stopped taking my liquid amino acids right around this time. Kinda have a hunch I should start taking it again. I'm almost out. I think I'm more emotional not taking it. Thinking of maybe trying a different brand. Do you have a brand you like that helps with weight loss? . The kind I take does help with that.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I agree completely with what you are saying! prescription medication to treat those illness need to be an absolute last resort.

People should change their lifestyle first. ie. start yoga, meditation, change your diet .etc .etc

As for people saying not to take a supplements like 5-htp i would have to disagree. These supplements are natural and really help people in a time of need.
Natural does not imply safe or a good choice by any means.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I stopped taking my liquid amino acids right around this time. Kinda have a hunch I should start taking it again. I'm almost out. I think I'm more emotional not taking it. Thinking of maybe trying a different brand. Do you have a brand you like that helps with weight loss? . The kind I take does help with that.
I've actually seen reports of bcaa causing depression. This happens due to a blockade of serotonin and dopamine production ( tyrosine and tryptophan) not too sure about this, and I think it's only a concern with megadosing, just something to look into if you are talking about bcaa

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I stopped taking it because I thought it was making me depressed. Which is does more. It wasn't until I started changing the timing around, then I noticed it. I'm already introverted enough, but now I really have no motivation. It's easy to say go out and do this and that, but now I just don't feel like it all.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Maybe l- tyrosine on an empty stomach may help ( dopamine). But honestly, you have been through a lot of emotional stress, which makes it totally understandable that you feel that way. Honestly no supplement is going to do much, just time and coping with what happens. I'm very sorry for your loss, prayers.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I do take tyrosine. I feel like the amino acids make me talk more but it's hard to wake up from them and seems to make me sadder but it's harder to tell right now.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Mate, ignore the rest

I had a major downtime when I was forced to leave my family home, divorce my wife and live alone without my kids - talk about depressed

5HTP, a strong quality one, is what you need. -Its like cracking an egg on your brain with happy hormones. My feeling of problems being water off a ducks back' was the main feeling
This and a good strong krean Ginseng - its a adaptogen which basically makes you cope with stress. The 5htp cheers you up and lets you cope. You should then be able to move forward with positivitiy and bette routlook.

Try these and within a week I was a changed man, got a new job, new girlfriend, moved out and got on with my new life - opposed to the 2 years of self pity

Hope you feel better soon

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I will try the 5htp. Do you take on empty stomach or with food? What is a good dose to start with?

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I will try the 5htp. Do you take on empty stomach or with food? What is a good dose to start with?
Excellent product, just watch the dosage as too much can cause drowsiness

Toff

Awards
  • Established
I didnt need too much tbh, there are two methods to try.
Firstly go solo with 5htp, I tend to start with 50mg then move upto 100mg - anymore and I get cold sweats at night (its a side effect if you get too much serotonin)
Next, and if after a week you fele no better, take St Johns wort in the morning (not too strong any otc) and then 5htp at night.

What st johns wort does is block the depletion of seretonin int he brain, so you have two effects (and this is why you need to be sensible here) - One blocking the seretonin from leaving the blood/brain allowing natural levels to rise, then the 5htp artificially producing more seretonin.

As I say, I got so down this was my onyl method but at low dose - ignore all the junkies online taking 300mg+ I wouldnt recommend it.

Also, as mentioned, take an adaptogen, such as Korean Ginseng (if in cold climate) or Siberian Ginseng if in hot climate (its cooling). If good quality (price is no indicator!) then cycle it, two weeks on one off - believe me, you need to otherwise you get a negative return after two weeks

This basically gave me a jump in my step, happy thoughts and solidpositivity

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I took 100mg before bed. Feel really lazy. Does this side effect go away? I probably too much, but does the tired feeling go away?

Toff

Awards
  • Established
yeah, you should eventually feel good after a few days, if not adjust dosage and work up.

100mg was too much for me but many take more.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I was going to drop it because I was so damn lazy. That part goes away?

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I hope I do too. I'm feeling really depressed since. The whole way it happened is really ****ing me. She was homeless. I told her I would take care of her, if she would take medication and I could prove it. She would rather be homeless than take medication. Nothing any of us could do. That still bothers me. I don't know, if you read the whole thread but it is too hard for me. I think I felt better after I talked to the detective but now I feel worse. She was standing in middle of the street and got run over. Either it is was suicide, with no note or her illness making her do it, from hallucinations. Hurts so much.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
She was schizaprenic, paranoid and I think bi polar. She never liked taking medication for her illness. It's very common for mentally ill too not take it. She was diagnosed at 16 years old. It only gets worse with age. We don't know why.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is very sad. I am sorry to hear about this tragedy.

One day just before Thanksgiving of 2014 I got a random text from my friend asking how I was. We texted briefly and when I asked him how he was he said, "Broke, miserable, and living at home with my parents " I told him I understood broke, but asked what was up with miserable? I was busy working on things and he never responded and I didn't realize. I meant to call him the next day and check in, but forgot.

About 10 days later I got the text that he took his own life.

I constantly look back and think about what if I could have helped? Done something different? What if I just called like I planned to?

The fact is, we all do the best we can. We all make mistakes. But when someone is that determined, you can't control them and you can't help someone who doesn't want help, or even see that they need help.

It is difficult and even professionals who see it every day and aren't emotionally involved can't help a lot of the time.

Do you really think you could have done anything differently? And do you think those different actions would have been better or pain free? I mean, if you told your mom, fine, don't take medication, just come home.....how would that have played out?

It sounds like you cared a lot and you are having a hard time putting it into words. It sounds like it was a struggle l; something you were fighting to fix that will never be fixed. But maybe what was important wasn't making it all better- but the struggle itself and the fact that you were there to struggle for something better. On her behalf. That is what quality people do.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I lowered the dose and felt better. It was making me groggy during the day. I want to know if that goes away because many were saying it made them to tired, for months while they were taking it. Not giving up, just would like to know. Also I've been switching my amino supplement around. Been noticing I feel not as blue from it. Could be the timing of that, as I take a lot of things. Sucks I feel bigger from switching my supplements around but I'm trying to figure it out. I never noticed my amino supplement was controlling my cravings for carbs. Until I would take, them not take it. Been taking for years. Then just stopped it. As far as I can tell, I feel more like communicating from starting my aminos and trying the 5htp. I did also notice my aminos made me depressed but could have been the timing. Takes time for me, when I change things up. Thanks for that post, with your experience. It did help a little.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That's an interesting study. They used a hefty dose of DHEA in it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's an interesting study. They used a hefty dose of DHEA in it.
Yes, I wouldn't recommend dosing that high without bloods...especially as a woman....but....I've consecrated things.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
My condolences. I recommend black maca from a company called the maca team. Its the most prized and rare version and has benefits that specifically help men. Balances hormones, energy, fertility, endurance, cognitive benefits, it's an incredible adaptogen. Also a breakthrough product known as Tranquilogen.

Google the name and click the first link, then read up about it. Everything from that site Is legit and revolutionary. Never shared the site with anyone till now. Just remember supps can help but only time can heal. Please keep your head up and stay positive.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My condolences. I recommend black maca from a company called the maca team. Its the most prized and rare version and has benefits that specifically help men. Balances hormones, energy, fertility, endurance, cognitive benefits, it's an incredible adaptogen. Also a breakthrough product known as Tranquilogen.

Google the name and click the first link, then read up about it. Everything from that site Is legit and revolutionary. Never shared the site with anyone till now. Just remember supps can help but only time can heal. Please keep your head up and stay positive.
Wowee, thanks!!

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

The OP is a female so...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some thoughts:

-Glycine is wonderful for solid sleep and energy, which will benefit you greatly.
-5htp as mentioned is great to boost seratonin levels which is important for mood and balance with dopamine levels that are likely down right now.
-Ltyrosine, DLPA, or macuna will help the dopamine levels and balances the 5htp.
-Relora will help with relaxation
-Normally I would not recommed, but St Johns Wort or lithium is great for emotional blunting, but sometimes we need to have the emotion to deal with the issue. Just depends on how bad it is for you right now.
-KSM66 and Rhodiola is a nice adaptogen combo that work very well with each other for stress maintenance.
-Sam-e is proven to work well for anxiety and stress as well as having anti depressent qualities. My wife takes it for PMS and it is effective.
-agmatine is great for health benefits but also offers anxiolytic properties and can help ease your mind.

This is off the top of my head, so I am sure I'll think of something else.

Also, get out and stay active and be with friends, it will do more than any supplements will.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for that info. I'm pretty sure 5htp causes weight gain for women. The red maca sounds good, reading the reviews. Is organic better than regular? Some things are better organic, some are not. I've tried organic flaxseed pills, I did not like them at all. Some stuff is good but I'm not fanatic about it, unless it's necessary.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
Thanks for that info. I'm pretty sure 5htp causes weight gain for women. The red maca sounds good, reading the reviews. Is organic better than regular? Some things are better organic, some are not. I've tried organic flaxseed pills, I did not like them at all. Some stuff is good but I'm not fanatic about it, unless it's necessary.
Yes organic is best. That's why I recommend buying "TheMacaTeam" brand. Their red maca is sourced directly from Peru and is fair trade organic.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I tried the regular maca root before but not the red one.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
I tried the regular maca root before but not the red one.
Yeah the regular maca also called yellow maca is the cheapest one and the one most often used. Not to knock it as a good supplement, but red and black are the highest grade most nutritionally dense versions. Black for men and red for women.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
Yeah the regular maca also called yellow maca is the cheapest one and the one most often used. Not to knock it as a good supplement, but red and black are the highest grade most nutritionally dense versions. Black for men and red for women.
Also if you have a weak stomach it's recommended to buy the pre-digested versions of each. Just remembered the pre-digested versions means it was heated and some raw nutrients are lost in that process. I always stick with the raw version and never had any issues. I take 5 grams black maca a day

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Can you tell me what you like about black maca? I iordered the red maca. Curious to why you recommended this for mood? Does it help you with the blues personally?

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
For me the black maca gives me a sense of wellbeing and long lasting energy. After a week or so on it. You'll notice you aren't as bugged out by certain irritations, which you usually were. You think clearer and sharper. I noticed my reaction time on it is lighting fast. I was at work and was next to a Zack looking like it was about to move, my hand jumped out so fast to catch it the lady next to me was scared ****less. Turns out the Z rack wasn't even falling, it had just moved closer towards me. My mind was just very quick to go in defense mode. Powerful stuff. Makes stress much more easily coped with. Balances everything ya know. I'll be taking black maca forever. That's for sure.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
I'm quite positive you'll find great results from the red maca. It's also the sweetest tasting. Did you order from TheMacaTeam?

Toff

Awards
  • Established
yes. the cant be arsed thing is mild depression right there.

I add a stimulant to my day to give me the get up and go/hyperactivity. Alphamine im using right now. The creatine gives me energy

ECA too in the past but i wouldnt recommend this right now.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I got it in the mail today. How much should I use the first time? I want to start low enough to get a effect from it.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
It's different for everyone. I'd start with 3 grams and work your way up to the actual second size, which is nine grams. Let it build up for best results. Everyone responds different so don't get discouraged so quickly

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
That sure is a lot to weight out. Are you using the biggest capsules they make? I think I just made 4 of 000 if I'm not mistaken. Seems like a lot and I think I'm under 3 grams.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
Also I never used capsules. I mix mine in a smoothie or any drink really.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
No complaints since I took it. How long should it be until I notice benefits for mood etc from it? Thanks

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
Different results for all. Allow it a little time to build up. At least a week. It also depends on how you digest it. Some people can't take the whole nine grams due to stomach issues. That's why I said to set tolerance at 3 grams. Results should be more prominent at the actuall serving size of nine grams. Try 3 grams 3 times a day until you hit nine grams.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dang man I'm sorry to hear that. My dad died when i was 9. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I think I will take it before bed instead. I can't believe how good this red maca tastes. It is delicious., I only used water.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
Why before bed? Yes, it's the best tasting of them all. Glad it's palatable for you.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Ok I was wondering if it was calming me down. That's why I was thinking before bed. I didn't get a rush from the gym after I took it. Normally I do. I think it said it has potassium and zinc in maca. Both those things make me more relaxed. Does it calm you down at first or not. I thought It would taste horrible. Now I'm craving it and I don't really eat sweets.

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
No over never noticed a calming sensation, but that's very interesting and I'd assume it's a welcoming benefit. How many grams are you consuming daily?