I feel this needs to be posted - Me, My Brain, and ALCAR

boogyman

Awards
I don't drink coffee, but I do drink FXT ;) I personally try not to make a habit out of it, but it's definitely a nice addition to the workdays or before class. I wouldn't take it before basketball, but that's just me. I never needed stimulants pre-basketball or anything else to help focus/drive. It certainly wouldn't hurt, though.
I wouldn't either, 10 years ago. But now I am 35, go to the gym to work out at 4 AM, then go to work for 10-12 hours, and then play ball after all that. Some days my mind is not in the right place and I find the game "speeds up" and my decision making is not what it should be. I changed my mind again, ordered some Focus XT and SNS Alcar caps. When it gets here I'll try it out a few times and see how it goes.

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking my Concealed Carry Weapons course this Saturday - it seems like I've found a suitable excuse to use Focus XT during the summertime. :D

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I guess ALCAR is not for me, I have been taking 500 to 1000mgs in the morning on and empty stomach for about two weeks and I get a dull headache and kinda feel not really in the moment, in that makes sense. I also added some Spark energy drink that has some Choline in it and I would feel pretty good for around two hours or so and then the weird feeling would come back and last all day. I had high hopes for this to give me more mental clarity most people have talked about, I take Paxil and Klonipin daily. I know some have posted about success with this while on SSRIs, not sure if the Klonipin would have any interactions with the ALCAR......

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good lord, klonipin and paxil. After seeing people I know basically turned into zombies on that crap, I can't believe how easily it is distributed. I am thinking that alcar is not your problem.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Good lord, klonipin and paxil. After seeing people I know basically turned into zombies on that crap, I can't believe how easily it is distributed. I am thinking that alcar is not your problem.

I wasnt looking for ur opinion on what I,m currently taking. U dont know what Ive been through or anything about me, so lay off diagnosing my problems..

chimeranD

Awards
I wasnt looking for ur opinion on what I,m currently taking. U dont know what Ive been through or anything about me, so lay off diagnosing my problems..
Well you even stated with the added choline you felt pretty good, so why not try to help protect your brain from the damage caused by those drugs?
May I ask what your diagnosis is?

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Well you even stated with the added choline you felt pretty good, so why not try to help protect your brain from the damage caused by those drugs?
May I ask what your diagnosis is?
I have had anxiety all my life, a couple years ago I started having panic/anxiety attacks. If you have ever had one of these episodes, they are terrifying to say the least. I went to see a Dr. and was put on these two meds. (low dose) and it has improved my life enough to warrant staying on them, for me at least. I am thinking about ordering Focus-XT and see how that goes, the out of the moment comment I made earlier is why I am hesitant to continue the ALCAR. It was not a good feeling, being kinda out of it at work... When you say damage to my brain caused by those drugs, could you be more specific.

chimeranD

Awards
What's in your life that could cause the anxiety and panic attacks? I've had it a my whole life too (pretty bad) but I would never go on those drugs.

For anxiety I've gotten off prescription drugs and just use Aniracetam along with choline citrate and alcar for the most part. If it's bad or I get a panick attack I'll use phenibut, that stuff works wonders! Caffeine and other stimulants seem to make my anxiety worse some days so I try to avoid it if I'm having a bad day, so if you can then wait for the caffeine free version of FXT.

That feeling you got from the Alcar sounds just like what I get if I don't take enough choline with my Aniracetam and Alcar, very dull minded and hard to function properly.

Alcar is neuroprotective, so if used correctly it can help keep your brain functioning as it should, and help combat the LONG list of side effects from the drugs. I know it's hard to imagine but having gone through detox from anxiety meds myself, (not those specifically) I highly recommend going a couple weeks without the meds and trying a combination of nootropics to combat the anxiety. I feel like a good Aniracetam protocol is much more effective for anxiety than my meds were.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
What is your dosing on the three u listed above and how long did it take for you to feel the effects ??? The way you described feeling without the choline on ALCAR is very similar to how I describe it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's too bad that doctors don't know more about Aniracetam because I think it would help so many people rather than loading them up on prescriptions.

chimeranD

Awards
What is your dosing on the three u listed above and how long did it take for you to feel the effects ??? The way you described feeling without the choline on ALCAR is very similar to how I describe it.
I do about 1.6 grams of choline citrate and 1.5g Alcar with 1g Aniracetam twice daily spaced about 8 hours apart. I'm not sure of the MOA of those prescriptions but it may be that they reduce choline levels in the brain, so you may need more. Play around with the dosages of Alcar and Choline if you don't get the right effects. Lately I've added Piracetam back in with the stack and feel slightly better but I wouldn't worry about that in your stack.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Liking some of these stacks, glad people are catching on!

icecold9487

Awards
cooper are you still using 1-2 grams daily? still noticing the benefits? how often do you cycle on and off?

aceroni

Awards
Cooper, what product do you use for your ALCAR source??

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anybody ever see the cartoon with the little dog that just bounces around the bigger bulldog calling his name over and over in admiration?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know this is kind of a bump out of no where, but I ran ALCAR for about 3 months. I have been off of it for a couple months and I have a noticeable difference in mental clarity and recall. I also was supplementing NA-R-ALA. I don't know if it is a boost in Acetyl-Choline levels or the neuroprotective properties, but I can attest to what the original post.

Bump for anyone who hasn't seen this thread, or anyone who isn't sure about giving ALCAR a try.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
watching this thread waiting for the precise moment to burst through the Internet doors with his hands in the air in victory

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Does anyone have any experience using Alcar while on SSRIs ??? I take 15 mg Paxil daily and I could really use a boost in overall cognitive function. I just dont feel nearly as sharp or able to retain info like I used too..
Yes, I use ALCAR and take Paxil.

Take ALCAR - it is GREAT.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I use ALCAR and take Paxil.

Take ALCAR - it is GREAT.
ALCAR and I dont work well together, Ive tried it alone and with my current stack of Aniracetam(750mg) and akg/choline(700mg) twice daily. I felt out of the moment on both occasions, so I,m sticking with my current stack and really loving the effects. I,m curious why ALCAR has this effect on me.....

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same way...ALCAR is not ideal for me. I like some of the effects..energy etc, but I start feeling edgy after a few days of use and then insomnia kicks in. Its a shame because it has so many great properties.

John33

Awards
I am taking 2g/day. On off days, 1 split it 1 AM, 1 midday. On workout days, I take 2g preworkout.
That is how I plan on taking it, too. Do I need to take choline with it? If yes, how much? Can I take it for 2/3 months without any other antioxidants?

John33

Awards
Have you guys tried Brain Candy? I have tried it (the caffeine version) and liked it. It seems like a pretty complete formula, but the label does not specify how much ALCAR is in there.
brain-candy-reg.jpg

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
I honestly feel Alcar had progressively made me more intelligent and articulate over the years.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it necessary to add in choline? You get a good bit from eggs beef chicken etc which I eat almost daily.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Almost finished with my first SNS bottle of ALCAR dosed at 1g a day. I noticed marked benefits in mental clarity at that dose. I will bump to the 2g a day dose when the next bottle arrives to see the difference. I will also be picking up the new Caff free FocusXT when that hits the market.

John33

Awards
NOW has a formula that combines Choline and Inositol. Does it make sense to take ALCAR with Choline & Inositol?

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks natty. I am also interested in what dose of choline is recommended for this purpose. A single egg has 125 mg I think. Or 25% dv. Not bad. I am sure the supplement is around 1-2g?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
What choline dose would you suggest per day?
Entirely user-dependent. Some doses will make users alert; others will make them sleepy. I like 2g choline citrate.

How much choline would you recommend? Is it better to take ALCAR with choline or with Alpha GPC?
I take 2g SNS Choline Citrate. 500mg of CDP-Choline or Alpha-GPC is fine too.

NOW has a formula that combines Choline and Inositol. Does it make sense to take ALCAR with Choline & Inositol?
I'm not big on inositol.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Entirely user-dependent. Some doses will make users alert; others will make them sleepy. I like 2g choline citrate.

I'm not big on inositol.
Is that choline dose every day?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thx! What are your thoughts on subbing this with taking caff free FocusXT every day?

John33

Awards
Do you take it at the same time you take ALCAR? Does it matter? One of the reasons I ask is because on my Alpha-GPC bottle it says to take it 90 minutes prior to lifting (it is a liquid form of Alpha-GPC).

On non-workout days, do you split the dose 250mg choline with 1g ALCAR (first half of the day), 250mg choline with 1g ALCAR (second half of the day)? Thanks!

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you take it at the same time you take ALCAR? Does it matter? One of the reasons I ask is because on my Alpha-GPC bottle it says to take it 90 minutes prior to lifting (it is a liquid form of Alpha-GPC).

On non-workout days, do you split the dose 250mg choline with 1g ALCAR (first half of the day), 250mg choline with 1g ALCAR (second half of the day)? Thanks!
They mentioned earlier if you take at the same time it will polymerize. And they mention dosing times a few pages back as well.