I feel this needs to be posted - Me, My Brain, and ALCAR

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I've really been interested in the 'racetams lately. Only thing bothering me is they seem so hit or miss for people. I'd be pretty upset to buy a tub and be one of the people that don't notice anything.

Did SNS discontinue Piracetam or is it just OOS? Any plans on any other racetams?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don't need to spend a ton of money on a large amount. You can buy high quality racetams on Amazon or Ebay in bulk powder. They take some playing around with to get it right. For Ani, I read on here by a couple people that it doesn't need to be taken with food- it most certainly does. I didn't realize that until I researched further and saw that this is recommended, and then I saw the full effects. I just ordered Piracetam to put in the stack because Ani is so overwhelming with anti-anxiety properties, that I don't want to introduce something stronger yet. I want to get the cognitive benefits from piracetam and see how they gel. The last thing I want is to ruin the clear, relaxing feeling that Ani gives by adding something with an edge.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Headaches while on ALCAR or a racetam are a sign of choline deficiency.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I thought I had read ALCAR was a acetlycholine precursor?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never heard of headaches from anyone taking alcar. In fact, a little research will tell you that if you are taking racetams and alcar, you don't need another choline source.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
A little research and a lot of personal experience has shown me the opposite. Racetams speed up the use of choline/acetylcholine in the brain. It is not uncommon for users, self included, to start having headaches, lethargy etc from racetam use until concurrent choline supplementation is initiated. Sides while using ALCAR can be from a variety of things depending on the user. I've had colleagues respond poorly to ALCAR who probably just didn't need the acetylcholine boost. They ended up way too hyped up, sweating and anxious. No noot is perfect for everyone despite this board's love affair with ALCAR.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe I worded it wrong because I didn't mean it to sound like Alcar was the only or even the preferred choline source with racetams.

Your comment about people reacting badly with alcar is exactly why I would recommend starting low and working up. I would be the guy sweating my ass off and being uncomfortable at 2g, but 500mg is so perfect.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is utilized perfectly fine. I like to use Na-R-Ala on the day I use ALCAR for the antioxidant properties.
Good read below.

I took some Alcar this morning.

IntJ Vitam Nutr Res. 2005 Jan;75(1):3-9.
Free and total carnitine concentrations in pig plasmaafter oral ingestion of various L-carnitine compounds.
Eder K, Felgner J, Becker K, Kluge H.
Source
Instituteof Nutritional Sciences, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg, Emil-Abderhalden-Strasse26, 06108 Halle/Saale, Germany. [email protected]
Abstract
Thisstudy was undertaken to investigate the bioavailability of various L-carnitineesters (acetyl-L-carnitine and lauroyl-L-carnitine) and salts (L-carnitineL-tartrate, L-carnitine fumarate, L-carnitine magnesium citrate) relative tobase of free L-carnitine. Six groups of five or six piglets each wereadministered orally a single dose of 40 mg L-carnitine equivalents/kg bodyweight of each of those L-carnitine compounds. A seventh group served as acontrol. Free and total plasma carnitine concentrations were determined 1, 2,3.5, 7, 24, and 32 hours after administration of the single dose.Area-under-the-curve (AUC) values were calculated to assess the bioavailabilityof the L-carnitine compounds. AUC values, calculated for the time intervalbetween 0 and 32 hours, for both free and total carnitine were similar for baseof free L-carnitine and the three L-carnitine salts (L-carnitine L-tartrate,L-carnitine fumarate, L-carnitine magnesium citrate) while those of the twoesters (acetyl-L-carnitine, lauroyl-L-carnitine) were lower. Administration ofL-carnitine L-tartrate yielded a higher plasma free carnitine AUC value for thetime interval between 0 and 3.5 hours than administration of the othercompounds. The data of this study suggest that L-carnitine salts have a similarbioavailability to that of free L-carnitine while L-carnitine esters have alower one. The study also suggests that L-carnitine L-tartrate is absorbedfaster than the other L-carnitine compounds.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Kisaj- no worries, just comparing notes. I think each choline source behaves very differently. I find using choline citrate or tartarate provides a more predictable responds than the ALCARS. The latter definitely is more potent, but some undesirable effects come with it for me.

I've been dabbling with Acetyl-L-Carnitine Fumarate lately. Seems to a bit more physical energy rather than mental...but also disrupts my sleep at anything over 1g per day.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I've really been interested in the 'racetams lately. Only thing bothering me is they seem so hit or miss for people. I'd be pretty upset to buy a tub and be one of the people that don't notice anything.

Did SNS discontinue Piracetam or is it just OOS? Any plans on any other racetams?
Our Piracetam was only a single-run item, so whatever was available at the time of the initial production was it. I haven't heard of any of our Piracetam being in stock anywhere in the past 8+ months.

chimeranD

Awards
Our Piracetam was only a single-run item, so whatever was available at the time of the initial production was it. I haven't heard of any of our Piracetam being in stock anywhere in the past 8+ months.
Seeing as Piracetam is back is it possible you guys will make another run of it?

chimeranD

Awards
Piracetam is common, why would there only be one run of it?
Probably because at the time the FDA sent out a bunch of warning letters to companies making it and they stopped making it to avoid legal troubles. I'm not positive on that though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was going to post this in the nootropics thread, but this one is more active. An interesting thing I noticed, and have read that this is somewhat common when I began researching nootropics, is the slight sense of arrogance or ****iness I feel since starting these. It really came to light when I added Piracetam to the stack, but my wife even made a comment about me correcting her or other people. I feel this constant sense of clarity and confidence from being "with it" and I notice everything now about the way that people talk or act. It's something I am sure you get used to and it wanes, but to feel so mentally strong is a big confidence booster.

Piracetam is known as the weaker of the racetams, but while I think Aniracetam will always be part of my life now because of the anti-anxiety properties, Piracetam really is strong in the logical impact. I noticed this almost right away. I did add Alcar and Piracetam around the same time, so it is an added variable, but based on the info I know on Piracetam, it is this.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This thread is awesome. I've been steadily becoming more and more interested in nootropics as a whole. I'm going into my junior year of undergrad health science studies and the idea of trying out nootropics for a little bit more awareness, added focus, and an increase in memory is becoming hard to resist. Also if they can add in other benefits to overall wellbeing its even harder to purchase other supplements over them.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have any experience using Alcar while on SSRIs ??? I take 15 mg Paxil daily and I could really use a boost in overall cognitive function. I just dont feel nearly as sharp or able to retain info like I used too..

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Coop:

Just checking in...are you still taking 1-2g per day? How are you dosing it during the day?

Just got my bottle today. Looking forward to trying it. Also, as someone who has about 4-6 lucid dreams a year, hoping that this stuff will increase the frequency!

Cheers,

I have been a long-time user of ALCAR and have always loved it. I used it consistently before studying or training for the major focus effects, but I was also aware of its other benefits like neuroprotection. Well recently (as in, 2 months ago), I changed my ALCAR dosing. Rather than taking it sporadically whenever I needed a boost, I use 1-2g every day, split into 1g doses. Over the past 2 months, I have noticed a vast change in my life and I really want to help others realize just how significant this ingredient is.

From my consistent usage, I have noticed a DRAMATIC increase in sharpness and memory. As far as school goes, I need far less time to get my assignments done. I am notorious for making silly mistakes in math exams/homework etc...I always get the concepts but the silly mistakes kill me. Well, in the past 2 months, I have lost a total of 1 point in my math class. I'm not saying this to brag, but my point is that this has never occurred in the past: my study habits quite literally haven't changed one bit. In fact, a 2nd consecutive 100% on a very long math exam (not multiple choice; just tons of calculations) prompted me to write this because I feel that others stand to benefit from this as well. To put it simply, I feel sharp and focused all the time, and can recall things from memory with more ease than ever.

But there are other things I've noticed too -- major things. I still drink occasionally, and when I drink, it's usually quite a bit. During the following days, or even the entire following week, I feel foggier. ALCAR seems to reverse these effects if taken at 2g prior to drinking as I have. This makes sense scientifically as well, as ALCAR is demonstrated to help prevent alcohol-induced neurodegeneration.

I have also been bulking the past few months. I'm not sure if it's the ALCAR or other factors, but I have kept fat at a reasonable level despite eating a "dirty" diet. ALCAR may indeed aid with staying lean.

Finally, something I've been enjoying: vivid, and even LUCID, dreams. The mental stimulation caused by ALCAR likely causes this, and it is awesome.

I can't stress enough that these benefits did not manifest themselves until I used ALCAR continuously at 1-2g/day, rather than sporadically.

This may not sound like "all that" to a bodybuilder, but please realize just how important the mind is to bodybuilding. I feel sharper, I feel happier, I feel on-top-of-things. I sleep better. ALCAR has made my life better, and if that doesn't affect bodybuilding, I don't know what does.

Anyway, that's my story. Just wanted to get the word out because this ingredient does not get nearly the amount of love that it should. A true staple for me.

TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Awards
You were the one who turned me onto ALCAR a while ago with my body building stack. I continue to take it everyday and continue to order more every month, it's great stuff. You are the best coop.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Coop:

Just checking in...are you still taking 1-2g per day? How are you dosing it during the day?

Just got my bottle today. Looking forward to trying it. Also, as someone who has about 4-6 lucid dreams a year, hoping that this stuff will increase the frequency!

Cheers,
I am taking 2g/day. On off days, 1 split it 1 AM, 1 midday. On workout days, I take 2g preworkout.

You were the one who turned me onto ALCAR a while ago with my body building stack. I continue to take it everyday and continue to order more every month, it's great stuff. You are the best coop.
No problem man, the stuff rocks!

D3Baseball

Awards
Oh Coop I love you!

You're so smart!

Did I mention how jacked you are? You're jacked!

And smart!

Marry me?

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I am taking 2g/day. On off days, 1 split it 1 AM, 1 midday. On workout days, I take 2g preworkout.

No problem man, the stuff rocks!
Do you feel that the effect is decreasing, like do you have to "up" the dose after a while?

uvawahoowa

Awards
Indeed Natty. I do focus xt at a scoop every other day and will dose Hup A during exam time. However, the benefits that I mentioned above truly came to light once I started dosing the ALCAR continuously, ceteris paribus.

Na-R-Ala = best antioxidant with ALCAR IMO, just don't take them together or they polymerize.
Does the same apply to Na-R-Ala and LCLT? If so, what are the effects?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Does the same apply to Na-R-Ala and LCLT? If so, what are the effects?
Possibly, but the research isn't there as far as I know. Perhaps there is synergy between Na-RLA and intracellular carnitine, but we all know how big of an issue it is getting LCLT into muscle (think insulin).

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Hey Cooper, any thoughts on my post ?????

Does anyone have any experience using Alcar while on SSRIs ??? I take 15 mg Paxil daily and I could really use a boost in overall cognitive function. I just dont feel nearly as sharp or able to retain info like I used too..

chimeranD

Awards
Hey Cooper, any thoughts on my post ?????
I'm not Coop, but I used it when I was on zoloft for about a month and it made a very big difference. I'd say pick up a ~35$ 1000g tub of it that will last over a year and see how it works for you.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Possibly, but the research isn't there as far as I know. Perhaps there is synergy between Na-RLA and intracellular carnitine, but we all know how big of an issue it is getting LCLT into muscle (think insulin).
Well what I was referring to if there is polymerization when Na-R-ALA and LCLT are taken literally at the same time. If there is polymerization, what does that mean exactly regarding the desired effects of the Na-R-ALA and the LCLT? Are they still as effective, less effective, or not effective at all?

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Chimeran, I started with 500 mg this morning on empty stomach. I will slowly increase and see how it goes. What differences did it make for you ????

I'm not Coop, but I used it when I was on zoloft for about a month and it made a very big difference. I'd say pick up a ~35$ 1000g tub of it that will last over a year and see how it works for you.

chimeranD

Awards
Thanks Chimeran, I started with 500 mg this morning on empty stomach. I will slowly increase and see how it goes. What differences did it make for you ????
I started at 1g and increased from there. I noticed a clearer head, easier to think, easier to remember things. It pretty much canceled out a lot of the negative side effects of the SSRI.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Thats really the effects I was looking for. I will increase and update as warranted. Appreciate the help...

I started at 1g and increased from there. I noticed a clearer head, easier to think, easier to remember things. It pretty much canceled out a lot of the negative side effects of the SSRI.

boogyman

Awards
A few questions. I was going to start taking SNS ALCAR tabs soon. I also was thinking of using FocusXT as a preworkout. 4 500mg caps is 2 grams, so on non workout days dosing is easy, 4 caps. But due to the blend of the FocusXT I am not sure how much is in it. So how many caps should I take on workout days?

Also I take Orange Triad, is this sufficient for an antioxident? There is a small amount of Na-R-Ala (100mgs) in it.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
A few questions. I was going to start taking SNS ALCAR tabs soon. I also was thinking of using FocusXT as a preworkout. 4 500mg caps is 2 grams, so on non workout days dosing is easy, 4 caps. But due to the blend of the FocusXT I am not sure how much is in it. So how many caps should I take on workout days?

Also I take Orange Triad, is this sufficient for an antioxident? There is a small amount of Na-R-Ala (100mgs) in it.
You can continue taking 2g ALCAR alongside with Focus XT on training days, but for the sake of saving money, you can lower the dose by 2 caps.

Don't worry about the antioxidant ancillary unless dosing high or truly chronically.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I take 1-2g ALCAR daily myself.
love it

boogyman

Awards
Another FocusXT question. How long do the "focus" effects typically last? My reason for asking is my workday is typically busiest first thing in the morning, than after 11am or so it tapers off. So would it be worth it to take it on non workout days in place of my morning coffee to help with the crazy first half of the day I normally deal with?

Also, I play in a basketball league 2 days a week after work. Would you guys think it would be helpful to use it about an hout before playing a sports event like that?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Another FocusXT question. How long do the "focus" effects typically last? My reason for asking is my workday is typically busiest first thing in the morning, than after 11am or so it tapers off. So would it be worth it to take it on non workout days in place of my morning coffee to help with the crazy first half of the day I normally deal with?

Also, I play in a basketball league 2 days a week after work. Would you guys think it would be helpful to use it about an hout before playing a sports event like that?
Actually, most people who use Focus XT that I've been contact with use it as a replacement for morning coffee to stay sharp throughout the day. At $0.50 per scoop, it's a great deal, and it's more effective than coffee if you ask any of the users. The effects from one scoop last 3-6 hours. It would also be effective pre-basketball. It's an all-around versatile supplement.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, most people who use Focus XT that I've been contact with use it as a replacement for morning coffee to stay sharp throughout the day. At $0.50 per scoop, it's a great deal, and it's more effective than coffee if you ask any of the users. The effects from one scoop last 3-6 hours. It would also be effective pre-basketball. It's an all-around versatile supplement.
I don't drink coffee, but I do drink FXT ;) I personally try not to make a habit out of it, but it's definitely a nice addition to the workdays or before class. I wouldn't take it before basketball, but that's just me. I never needed stimulants pre-basketball or anything else to help focus/drive. It certainly wouldn't hurt, though.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I don't drink coffee, but I do drink FXT ;) I personally try not to make a habit out of it, but it's definitely a nice addition to the workdays or before class. I wouldn't take it before basketball, but that's just me. I never needed stimulants pre-basketball or anything else to help focus/drive. It certainly wouldn't hurt, though.
The thing about Focus XT is that the nootropics boost ACh subchronically, and the huperzine A dose is low enough to facilitate consistent use. In other words, it only gets better with time.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The thing about Focus XT is that the nootropics boost ACh subchronically, and the huperzine A dose is low enough to facilitate consistent use. In other words, it only gets better with time.
Oh for sure, bud. I just like to give myself days off of stimulants (albeit a low dose of 200mg) whenever I can. Hence, SNS needs to stop producing new products like COP and cissus (which are great) and get me my caffeine-free FXT! ;)

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Love me some ALCAR! It's actually made me progressively smarter. Focus xt looks like a great pre workout. Will be trying it soon

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In other words, it only gets better with time.
just so true.

the 2 months or so i was taking it daily during my EMT course, by the end of the course when it was time to go take the natl. cert. test's, i was absolutely amazed at the improvement in my memory retention/faster memory recall......ive never had a HUGE problem with tests, but things were noticeable better with FXT

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh for sure, bud. I just like to give myself days off of stimulants (albeit a low dose of 200mg) whenever I can. Hence, SNS needs to stop producing new products like COP and cissus (which are great) and get me my caffeine-free FXT! ;)
Exactly why I don't use this product. I already take everything in it, but the convenience would be great without all the caffeine.

boogyman

Awards
Gonna order me some Alcar today. Since I am already taking multiple supplements I decided to just add 2 grams of bulk Alcar for a few weeks, and then start using FocusXT at a later time. I was thinking just buying 100 gram Nutraplanet bulk powder for now to try it out, with 1 gram early morning before training, and 1 gram in the afternoon. Later I can replace the first dose with the FocusXT.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I've been taking ALCAR in 500mg doses, for a week or so. Rarely twice a day. I still get headaches if I take around 750mg or more, at once. However, I do not get that same mild headache from FocusXT. Probably the added Choline?? I just got in some Citicoline, I think I'll play with some doses and see if I can take 1g at a time with the choline. (Got some Aniracetam too. :D. ) Went with ~750mg ALCAR, 250mg Na-R-ALA, 500mg Citicoline, 750mg Aniracetam and a cup if coffee, today.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would take the Ani twice a day at 750mg and then 250-500mg of alcar twice a day. And then have fun being smarter than everyone around you.

D3Baseball

Awards
I can't imagine a better nootropic use than pre-sports. Seriously, even moreso than studying.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would tend to agree. I can't say without a baseline, but I think that I did much better in a bike race I had last weekend that I would have without noots. The ability to visualize the course, focus on little things I would normally not, and keeping calm are all great for competition success.