HST TO BOOST MUSCLE GROWTH 12 WEEK LOG AND MORE !

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Brother, I am in on this. Excited to see you get to where you are going.

I have been trying the HST-style out for the last 10 weeks or so. I like it. Not sure it's more effective than what I did before, but it is effective. Keep in mind that this is about chronic stress and you are hitting most of the muscles 3X per week - you need to be able to recover AND grow within 2 days - so this isn't about going to failure per se. Just about getting tension in the muscles I guess - I've been pushing it and still going to failure but just 1 set if I hit my reps and if I miss the reps by more than 1 (for instance if I am shooting for 15 reps and get 12 or 10 reps and get 8) - I will add in a second set. Not saying this is the only way to do it, just that if you start doing 2 sets of every exercise to failure and really crushing yourself, you WILL not improve when you hit it again in 2 days and that isn't the goal.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

I have been trying the HST-style out for the last 10 weeks or so. I like it. Not sure it's more effective than what I did before, but it is effective. Keep in mind that this is about chronic stress and you are hitting most of the muscles 3X per week - you need to be able to recover AND grow within 2 days - so this isn't about going to failure per se. Just about getting tension in the muscles I guess - I've been pushing it and still going to failure but just 1 set if I hit my reps and if I miss the reps by more than 1 (for instance if I am shooting for 15 reps and get 12 or 10 reps and get 8) - I will add in a second set. Not saying this is the only way to do it, just that if you start doing 2 sets of every exercise to failure and really crushing yourself, you WILL not improve when you hit it again in 2 days and that isn't the goal.
Thanks man having you in here will really make it moist ;)

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
I had a scare the other night pushing 305 for reps my wrist popped didn't do any serious damage that I know it just hasn't been the same so I'm going to switch it up for a while give me body a chance to heal.
Be careful homie , **** happened to me in the beginning of the year and I spent the whole half of the year waking up with numb wrists and couldn't lift without wraps

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Be careful homie , **** happened to me in the beginning of the year and I spent the whole half of the year waking up with numb wrists and couldn't lift without wraps
I think the hardest part is going to be adjusting my diet. It's not everyday that I have quality food sometimes 3 days going to have to stock up on the good stuff possibly freezing it .

I don't use gloves wraps for belts to lift and never have back then I was poor when I first started. I have the money to buy the wraps and gloves .

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Just be disciplined and stay the coarse. Seems a little easy at first but will pick up in intensity. Ask Brandinooooo
Seems really easy until your pushing your 1 rep max on bench for 15 reps.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

If you are supposed to hit 15 on your first set and only get 12 that is okay. Just note it in your log and you know you need to hit 13 reps the next workout. Always keeping yourself accountable to hit that extra rep or upping the weight. If you start to decline in reps or weight for 2 consecutive workouts and your diet and sleep are not being neglected or any other environmental factors it is your body telling you it's time to start your de-conditioning. Very few get all the way threw all 8 weeks naturally. I have only done it 3-4 times in 5 years of HST.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm watching....always....

:ninja:

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tomorrow will be my first try at this gauntlet.
Try is not the correct word. Start is the correct word. TRY suggestest a chance of failure and that is not going to happen big man! I have faith in you and will stay on your ass if I have to.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Try is not the correct word. Start is the correct word. TRY suggestest a chance of failure and that is not going to happen big man! I have faith in you and will stay on your ass if I have to.
Just be there if I need advice. This is like hiking blind folded.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the hardest part is going to be adjusting my diet. It's not everyday that I have quality food sometimes 3 days going to have to stock up on the good stuff possibly freezing it .

I don't use gloves wraps for belts to lift and never have back then I was poor when I first started. I have the money to buy the wraps and gloves .
The diet is the hard part. Atleast it was for me when I had 3 kids at home. They get a little tired of chicken breast and wanted pancakes. I just made a batch for me with protein powder and used peanut butter instead of syrup. Just got to be creative or cook something else if the wife doesn't get too pissed!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Still got 10 days;) gonna cherish it !
Back in the saddle in 10 days? Good luck brother. Stay on the straight and narrow and remember it's a gov't job with red tape and PC bull crap. And you are just there for a paycheck and that should help out. Unfortunately you can't be passionate about this type of job anymore.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stretching out and hitting some yoga poses
Impressed. My wife is trying to talk me into it. Problem is it interferes with my workout time that is limited. I plan my days around my workouts. I know it's a sicknesses.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More power than me on the kale. I have to drown it in ranch. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Coat it in olive oil and bake it until it's crisp. Freakin awesome that way. But then again, I love greens. Always have. Big huge pile of collard greens is a New Years Day tradition.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Coat it in olive oil and bake it until it's crisp. Freakin awesome that way. But then again, I love greens. Always have. Big huge pile of collard greens is a New Years Day tradition.
Dam that's nasty...

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Language young man. Show some respect for your elders

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have never really given higher reps a try except in legs. Looking forward to seeing how you respond homie
I liked my first go at HST style training...mainly for this reason. Never did 15 reps and it was a different kind of challenge. Doing 15 rep sets and full body workouts will really leave you feeling tired and challenged until you get used to it. At the beginning of my second cycle it was a bit easier but after 2 weeks at 5 rep sets and a detraining period ...it was challenging again. It just feels very different and really builds your mind/muscle connection, IMO.

Thanks man having you in here will really make it moist ;)
I am moist just being here!

Just be disciplined and stay the coarse. Seems a little easy at first but will pick up in intensity. Ask Brandinooooo
This is so true. First time through, going to 15 reps and not focusing 100% on just going to and beyond failure felt like I was mailing it in, even thought the high rep sets left me feeling exhausted as I said above. But you just keep doing it, slowly adding ever 2 days, and boom!

If you are supposed to hit 15 on your first set and only get 12 that is okay. Just note it in your log and you know you need to hit 13 reps the next workout. Always keeping yourself accountable to hit that extra rep or upping the weight. If you start to decline in reps or weight for 2 consecutive workouts and your diet and sleep are not being neglected or any other environmental factors it is your body telling you it's time to start your de-conditioning. Very few get all the way threw all 8 weeks naturally. I have only done it 3-4 times in 5 years of HST.
Yeah...I just add the second sets because I hate not hitting my goal and I want to be sure I stimulate adaptation. I don't add sets if I have added weight or reps...it's more when I fall short and I fell short the workout before too...I just add in a set to really be sure I stimulate. I don't follow 100% to a T either....still learning.

I did make it through my first cycle pretty well. But I'm not as advanced as you so my weights are lighter = less stress overall on my system.

Gonna be fun . Changing to fish and kale as main meals.
Fish, kale, egg beaters, beef jerky...there are so many ways to get lean protein. The more sources you have, the easier it will be to stick to the diet when the day doesn't go as planned and things get sideways.

Lol, you LIKE greens? Now I am certain you were dropped as a child, haha.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol. Fuc in Latin for thank you for reminding me old goat.
I actually had Latin in High School, which shows just how old I am. So futue te ipsum!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm still wondering what happened to ChocolateClen. I hope he didn't get shot while dragging a bag of rice home through the hood.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I liked my first go at HST style training...mainly for this reason. Never did 15 reps and it was a different kind of challenge. Doing 15 rep sets and full body workouts will really leave you feeling tired and challenged until you get used to it. At the beginning of my second cycle it was a bit easier but after 2 weeks at 5 rep sets and a detraining period ...it was challenging again. It just feels very different and really builds your mind/muscle connection, IMO.

This is so true. First time through, going to 15 reps and not focusing 100% on just going to and beyond failure felt like I was mailing it in, even thought the high rep sets left me feeling exhausted as I said above. But you just keep doing it, slowly adding ever 2 days, and boom!

Yeah...I just add the second sets because I hate not hitting my goal and I want to be sure I stimulate adaptation. I don't add sets if I have added weight or reps...it's more when I fall short and I fell short the workout before too...I just add in a set to really be sure I stimulate. I don't follow 100% to a T either....still learning.

I did make it through my first cycle pretty well. But I'm not as advanced as you so my weights are lighter = less stress overall on my system.

Fish, kale, egg beaters, beef jerky...there are so many ways to get lean protein. The more sources you have, the easier it will be to stick to the diet when the day doesn't go as planned and things get sideways.

You are good. There are a lot of variations of HST over the years. I have done what you mentioned. I just try to stick with the old school Principal. The beginning feels like you are not doing anything but the older I get the more I like it. Lol.

Great suggestions: We all need to give the HULK good sources of lean protein that he can prep and or snack on. Got to get him off the cheese pizzas. Make your suggestions count He is a big man!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm still wondering what happened to ChocolateClen. I hope he didn't get shot while dragging a bag of rice home through the hood.
He has just vanished. The navy bus may have came buy and picked him up with his bag of rice.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I actually had Latin in High School, which shows just how old I am. So futue te ipsum!
Funny I was a dumb ass and took it as an elective. I'm impressed that you still rember any of it,
You were still dipping ink back in high school. Lol

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
SFreed is the man... kale is the sh1t y'all!! I use Pam spray and heat a skillet and wilt it so it's still kinda rough. Seasoned with "No Salt," garlic powder and pepper. That's my green 3 nights a week.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Funny I was a dumb ass and took it as an elective. I'm impressed that you still rember any of it,
You were still dipping ink back in high school. Lol
Yeah, but you were writing with the burnt end of a stick. And just like Spanish, all I really remember are the swear words and insults. You know, the important stuff

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SFreed is the man... kale is the sh1t y'all!! I use Pam spray and heat a skillet and wilt it so it's still kinda rough. Seasoned with "No Salt," garlic powder and pepper. That's my green 3 nights a week.
mmorso knows. My brotha from anotha motha!!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
and where the h3ll is bighulksmash. Isn't this his log we're derailing?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I did 2 yrs of Latin in college. Translated the Aeneid my second year.
I remember nothing of it

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did 2 yrs of Latin in college. Translated the Aeneid my second year.
I remember nothing of it
That is pretty impressive, actually. Anything by Virgil is a real pain to read. Kudos to you for translating an incredibly long, boring "poem".

I've always regretted not going to college. Another former secret that I've admitted to here (along with my love of thick girls)

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

Nice hail mary slide