Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST) -- Thoughts/Experiences?

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Hey All,

Recently been looking into different training methods and splits and stumbled on something called "Hypertrophy Specific Training," which has been around for a while. I was planning on moving to a PHAT split for a bit prior to finding this.

The latest research I've read seems to be suggesting that a low volume/high frequency routine maximizes muscle protein synthesis and is thus the most efficient for muscle growth. While definitely not a new concept, this program/split is interesting to me at the very least due to its unconventional recommendations. Would love to hear any thoughts on it or if anyone has any experience with it.

(As I do not have the required post count to add links, more information can be found by googling it.)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been following an HST program since last fall. I started it mainly to change things up a bit, and have stuck with it. I've had a really busy work schedule for the last 6 months and the 3 days per week workout was a lot easier to hit. Studhorse is the one who talked me into it and is the resident HST Master.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a lot of expetience with HST. There is a 100 page pdf that I found on the AST/HST forum years ago (no clue if the file or even the forum still exist).

The evidence cited in the pdf is difficult to refute. The base concepts include progressive load, frequency determined by muscle recovery vs neuro recovery, and time off to "reset."

The things i like the most are the organzation (i nerdily enjoy making the spreadsheet to plan my workouts), the body comp changes, and surprisingly strength gains on lift that I'm usually not that great with (ie i use upright rows for a shoulder move).

The con is that you have to really watch volume because the heavy days sneak up on u. I flat out crashed like the first 5-6 times i used the routine. Trust me, the light are light and they are light for a reason. Dont be tempted to do a few extra sets or movements until u've completed a full routine.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^^^^Yep, those 3 sets of 5 reps don't sound bad at first, do they

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Thanks so much guys. I dug up that PDF online so if anyone is interested hmu and I can send the link via PM. After reading it all, I'm pretty interested and will probably give it a try. Any tips/input would be great and much appreciated. Also, do you guys incorporate cardio to make up for the lack of caloric expenditure on off days?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks so much guys. I dug up that PDF online so if anyone is interested hmu and I can send the link via PM. After reading it all, I'm pretty interested and will probably give it a try. Any tips/input would be great and much appreciated. Also, do you guys incorporate cardio to make up for the lack of caloric expenditure on off days?
The best way is just read up on it. there is a lot of information to take in but it's not as difficult as it sounds.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I have a lot of expetience with HST. There is a 100 page pdf that I found on the AST/HST forum years ago (no clue if the file or even the forum still exist).
The forum does still exist www.thinkmuscle.com/community/

Unfortunately the forum is very quiet at the moment with only a handful of active posters but even those have gone quiet recently

OP there is a section called HST FAQ that will have answers to any questions you may have also within the Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST) sub forum you will find a section The HST Ebook where a comprehensive guide has been written.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. For those of you who have done HST, how has your experience been working with suboptimal loads the first part of the week? Did you feel unsatisfied with the amount of effort you used in each workout?

Also how would breaking the 3 day full body split into 3x Upper and Lower days (for 6 workout days per week) with slightly higher volume be? Would increasing the volume of work/number of sets per muscle group diminish the results or effectiveness of HST?

I realize a lot of this is counterintuitive and that less is more in some cases. I'm worried my own emotional biases towards higher volume and perceived effort might be diminishing the efficiency of the program.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
No problem with splitting to suit a 6 day week but I would not increase the volume.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, u can do cardio on off days if u follow the strict 3 day split. I dunno if there's any objective research behind this, but I have a strong hunch BMR is increased because i experience recomp with HST every time I use it without drastically changing much with diet or cardio.

Yes, u can do a 6 day upper/lower split.

No, i do not personally recommend increasing volume or number of working sets. I would certainly crash before i complete the planned routine. I suggest running the basic template with your preference of exercise choices, then decide how u'd like to evolve your plan re volume, split, frequency, working sets, and (my personal favorite) rep ranges

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Just an update: after reading the pdf, like celc5 said, the science is pretty convincing. Consequently, I've decided to take the plunge and try it.

On workout day 2 now. Initial thoughts: I actually am loving the full body workouts. Didn't establish my 15RM like I should've and went a little too heavy (relatively) on the first day but definitely enjoying it. Was worried about only working out 3 times per week but doesn't seem bad rn. Thinking about starting a training log.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just an update: after reading the pdf, like celc5 said, the science is pretty convincing. Consequently, I've decided to take the plunge and try it.

On workout day 2 now. Initial thoughts: I actually am loving the full body workouts. Didn't establish my 15RM like I should've and went a little too heavy (relatively) on the first day but definitely enjoying it. Was worried about only working out 3 times per week but doesn't seem bad rn. Thinking about starting a training log.
Don't fret over hitting you 1Rep Max % at the start. you will figure it out. easiest way is to figure out is to pick a weight if you have about 3 reps left in you that is about 75%.
You have to keep a log for HST. unless you were suggesting a log on AM?

One of the hardest parts of HST is the thought of only working out 3 times a week. seems like a puss thing, stick with it and you will see gains.
how are you planning on doing week 7 & 8 ?

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Don't fret over hitting you 1Rep Max % at the start. you will figure it out. easiest way is to figure out is to pick a weight if you have about 3 reps left in you that is about 75%.
You have to keep a log for HST. unless you were suggesting a log on AM?

One of the hardest parts of HST is the thought of only working out 3 times a week. seems like a puss thing, stick with it and you will see gains.
how are you planning on doing week 7 & 8 ?
Good idea on the RM, Thanks! I was thinking about starting an AM log in case anyone was interested. I already made a spreadsheet since I'm kinda a nerd like that, lol.

Was actually gonna look for input on week 7/8 since I don't have a reliable training partner for negatives. Maybe cut the cycle early or extend a week of 5s? Appreciate any advice.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Could always drop to 3 rep sets followed by a metabolic set

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good idea on the RM, Thanks! I was thinking about starting an AM log in case anyone was interested. I already made a spreadsheet since I'm kinda a nerd like that, lol.

Was actually gonna look for input on week 7/8 since I don't have a reliable training partner for negatives. Maybe cut the cycle early or extend a week of 5s? Appreciate any advice.
Week 7 I prefer Negatives. you can change your lifts so you don't need a partner.
Week 8 Drop sets.

Some will continue the 5's and move to 3 sets each. I have only finished this about 3 times in 4 years. I have to go into decondition after week 7, my strength drops pretty bad.
Only guys I know who have finished this way were on gear.

I have an excel spread sheet that I made about 5 years ago and still use it. I'm old school and print it off and log everything by hand.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Could always drop to 3 rep sets followed by a metabolic set
Interesting never thought of that. Might give it a shot next go round. always looking at new ways mix it up at the end.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Hope you do log it here I am definitely interested in how you progress.

initialize

Awards
Anyone have any updates? Thoughts on the program?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I always revert back to HST or at least my own bastardised version of it, currently doing myo reps but only in the 15 rep range for a few weeks. Depending on how myo reps treats me I will do a combo of HST with myo reps

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use HST 8 months out of the year. It fits my schedule and it works. In the Winter I will go to a A/B split, to mix it up, Plus I have time to hit the gym 4 days a week.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
Big fan of the program. Followed it for 2 cycles over the summer and noticed increased definition/lean muscle gain. Only thing is I did lose strength due to working with submax loads most of the time. Hopped back on a modified PHAT split and have since regained my strength. Definitely plan on starting HST again in the future though. Would recommend.

initialize

Awards
Big fan of the program. Followed it for 2 cycles over the summer and noticed increased definition/lean muscle gain. Only thing is I did lose strength due to working with submax loads most of the time. Hopped back on a modified PHAT split and have since regained my strength. Definitely plan on starting HST again in the future though. Would recommend.
Nice, did you eat above maintenance while doing it?

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I love hst! I put on 35 lbs (250 to 285) for football so physique wasn't an issue, but I did it in about 5 months, while maintaining similar body composition, and my pr's went through the roof.