Training specifically for hypertrophy

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
Years ago I was all about physical strength and hypertrophy would come as an option. Today, I'm far more concerned with hypertrophy and appearance. I've changed some of my training philosophies around but I was wanting some tips from you guys that train specifically for hypertrophy.

I know the #1 thing is diet and nutrition...

This is more specifically about tips and tricks. I'm switching to dumbells predominantly for bench pressing and focusing more on the squeeze and moving slower on the eccentric phase of the lift. I'm going to incorporate drop sets and super-sets more on arm training (which is something I never even did before period).

My overall goal is weight loss. I'm weighing at 248 pounds right now and the goal is to drop to 200 pounds.

I hear that on back movements focusing on pulling from the elbows allows more upper back activation than pulling from the hands. Little things of that nature.

Any tips are appreciated.

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I like the ideas you have. What kind of cardio are you implementing?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
For your back I like to pull from the elbows and on a row imagine your trying to pinch your shoulder blades together at the end.

For a pulldown variation do the same but imagine your now pulling the blades together and tucking them in your back pocket.

For chest find ways to take the delts and triceps out of the movements.

Higher rep ranges and Heavy weight for higher reps for most body parts.

So when your doing heavy sets of 6-10 you can throw in rest pause to squeeze out more reps. Think DC training style.

Those are things that I feel helped me

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How about German Volume Training? The whole program was designed for hypertrophy purposes. But use the modified GVT way; for the first 4 sets use 70% of 1 RM, the next 4 sets use 60% of your 1 rep max, and the last 2 sets, use 50% of your 1 rep max.

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I like the ideas you have. What kind of cardio are you implementing?
Right now I'm looking at implementing battle ropes and hill springs. HIIT style cardio for 15-20 minutes in the mornings.

For your back I like to pull from the elbows and on a row imagine your trying to pinch your shoulder blades together at the end.

For a pulldown variation do the same but imagine your now pulling the blades together and tucking them in your back pocket.

For chest find ways to take the delts and triceps out of the movements.

Higher rep ranges and Heavy weight for higher reps for most body parts.

So when your doing heavy sets of 6-10 you can throw in rest pause to squeeze out more reps. Think DC training style.

Those are things that I feel helped me
You think a lot similar to me. I loved DC Style training when I was first introduced to it. I also hear the same thing about the pull variations that you speak of.

The idea is that when you pull from your hands your grip/biceps are used more than usual so they fatigue quicker and your back doesn't get the full workout it needs. Pulling from the elbows allows more emphasis on the upper back and less emphasis on the supporting/smaller muscles.

I am doing mostly 2-3 sets of 6-12 reps on all of my movements. I am training most movements twice per week.

How about German Volume Training? The whole program was designed for hypertrophy purposes. But use the modified GVT way; for the first 4 sets use 70% of 1 RM, the next 4 sets use 60% of your 1 rep max, and the last 2 sets, use 50% of your 1 rep max.
I'll look into this. I've never tried GVT but I have heard a lot about it on other boards.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
German volume training is just a gimmick. I don't believe there's a single professional bodybuilder who uses it.

I remember back in the day they did a interview with Dennis wolf and Markus Ruhl, the top 2 German bodybuilders in the world at the time and they asked them what they thought about German volume training and neither one of them had ever heard of it.

I tried it for a while when it first got popular. I felt like it was great if your goal was getting in shape or burning a lot of calories. Didn't find it good for building muscle. It seemed more like endurance training

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I could probably benifit from gvt right now cus muscular endurance is what I'm after.

🤔

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I could probably benifit from gvt right now cus muscular endurance is what I'm after.

🤔
Certainly wouldn't hurt me to do a little bit of it even in rotation since I'm training to drop nearly 50 pounds in the near future.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Certainly wouldn't hurt me to do a little bit of it even in rotation since I'm training to drop nearly 50 pounds in the near future.
If hypertrophy is your goal you don't wanna use weight lifting sessions for cardio, you want to use your weight training sessions for hypertrophy and your cardio and diet for fat loss

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I mean just use Hypertrophy Specific Training. You basically spell it out in your title LOL That HST pdf ebook has gotta be floating around somewhere still.