Frustrated. Cut or Bulk (photos attached)

nevilledp

Awards
Hi guys.
I am 34 years old. Been training for 6 years (you wouldn't say that when looking at the pics).
I am trying to bodybuild, but my body seems to be just not in the mood to co-exist.
I weight train 4-5 days per week, I adjust my training every 6 weeks or so between various rep ranges and rest periods, etc.
My diet is on 3000 cals per day. Protein at around 250grams, carbs around 300grams, fats around 89 grams.
My diet is very clean, I am very strict (tuna, sweet potatoe, potatoe, fish, brown rice, etc). I use 10grams creatine per day, 5 grams glutamine, and some whey.
My weight is 209lbs, my bodyfat (estimated) at 15%, and my height is 6' 1.2".
I have been "cutting" for the past 13 weeks and went from around 19.5% bodyfat to 15%
What should I do? Any advice. I am so frustrated.

Attachments

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
You might be suffering from '****arounditis'. I feel at your current position you need to aim to recomp. You should aim your calories for 200P/300C/80F and that will put you at about 2700 cals and should give you plenty of everything.

As far as supplements go drop the glutamine entirely and aim for only 5 G of creatine a day. It's not necessary or advised to do 10 G a day.

Your training might be the problem here bud. If you've put so much time in and still see lack luster results you're most likely under training physically and over thinking it all. Stick to a 4 day split for right now, feel free to google west side barbell for skinny bastards, its a long outline of what I'm about to suggest.

You need to aim to do a lot of dead lifts, squats and bench. Plenty of body weight exercises as well such as dips and pull ups. I feel you may have fallen pray to popular media bull **** about training and what not if you've spent 6 years in the gym and have seen no results. Get used to going heavy on dead lifts, squats and bench and build a routine around those heavy lifts. If you're training naturally you're not going to grow unless you're going really heavy but you also need to give yourself plenty of rest and not do 5+ days a week in the gym.

nevilledp

Awards
thanks guys. so it sounds like i need to go back to basics with the training. what 4 day split would you recommend? and as for calories, should these be split equally throughout the day, or more to be consumed pre and post workout (as I currently do) ? Thanks again guys, some great advice here.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
thanks guys. so it sounds like i need to go back to basics with the training. what 4 day split would you recommend? and as for calories, should these be split equally throughout the day, or more to be consumed pre and post workout (as I currently do) ? Thanks again guys, some great advice here.
For a training split do a 2 on 2 off 2 on 2 off, or another simple 1 on 1 off 1 on 1 off sort of thing. It's really about what works for your schedule.

If you're doing 2 on 2 off do an upper day then lower day and rinse and repeat, same story with 1 on 1 off. Stick to heavy lifts for example on upper days: bench press, barbell rows, pull ups, dips, dumb bell press, etc but all heavy. For legs focus on hitting squats/dead lifts first and then incorporate a calf lift and maybe a separate hammy/glute and quad exercise. Keep it simple but heavy for now.

As far as diet goes consume at least 30-40% of your carbs pre workout as that should give an ample amount of stamina for your lifts. As far as the protein goes if you wish you can consume it 20-30G amounts every 3-4 hours to spike MPS but thats pretty tedious. As for know don't fret the macro nutrient timing as much as total macros, really aim for the amounts I gave you and if you bust your ass in the gym going heavy you should definitely begin to see some results. On off days don't do cardio, unless you play a sport or something use the off days for recovery as you are supposed to be going heavy and need time to recovery to maintain and improve strength. I mean you can play with friends or do whatever daily activites you do but you don't need to be hopping on the treadmill. All cardio's doing for yah is cutting calories out of your day. Lifting is plenty stressful on the body already.

nevilledp

Awards
cool thanks! i walk about 4 miles to and from work every day, not much i can do about that. will that be a problem ?

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
cool thanks! i walk about 4 miles to and from work every day, not much i can do about that. will that be a problem ?
Hah only after leg day, if I were you I'd keep me leg days closer to the weekend as when you train legs heavy(the right way) they are pretty sore and walking is generally not fun lol. As far as diet and progress goes though it shouldn't be an issue.

nevilledp

Awards
Thanks so much for all your help! One last question, I gym really early AM (5am) due to work requirements.
Would good pre-workout be something like rice krispies and ripe bananas (high GI) with whey & water? or something more complex like liquefied sweet potato with whey (not as bad as it sounds!). And same thing for post workout? Thanks again guys.

Turnitup122

Awards
I feel like I'm looking at a picture of me. Weird. Id go with cut then bulk but that's just how i roll

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
How happy are you with your current strength? If you are fairly satisfied I would say cut. If not lean bulk for a bit then cut around January and you'll have plenty of time to get into shape for summer.

I don't notice anything from glutamine. Drop it or get beta alanine is my recommendation.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thanks so much for all your help! One last question, I gym really early AM (5am) due to work requirements.
Would good pre-workout be something like rice krispies and ripe bananas (high GI) with whey & water? or something more complex like liquefied sweet potato with whey (not as bad as it sounds!). And same thing for post workout? Thanks again guys.
I sometimes use organic wheat, and gluten free preservative free baby food. Like apple and broccoli or betroot and yam flavour. Energy is great and tasty

clauncher

Awards
I would like to add the Yates Palms Up Grip Row and Dumbell Hamstring Curls with heavy weight 85% to failure in a 7 second cadence in addtion to itzdodge recos. And it is so nailed, we all have to learn to focus on recovery long reocevry periods (no resistence on days off is the key). iTZ DODGE 200/300 why not the other way?

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I would like to add the Yates Palms Up Grip Row and Dumbell Hamstring Curls with heavy weight 85% to failure in a 7 second cadence in addtion to itzdodge recos. And it is so nailed, we all have to learn to focus on recovery long reocevry periods (no resistence on days off is the key). iTZ DODGE 200/300 why not the other way?
Cause carbs are teh awesome

In all seriousness 300G of protein is way too much considering your current size and conditioning. I said 200/300 but honestly it's what you feel you need carb wise. If you can afford that much protein and don't feel any lag in energy then go for it I guess but the law of diminishing returns very much applies here.

As far as your routine goes look up westside barbell for skinny bastards, very simple routine and should get you going in the right direction.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Im gonna agree with the recomp idea. Just by starting a solid diet, even if it is hypercaloric, you will probably go through a phase in which youll experience lean muscle gains with a slight drop in wet weight. In addition, just getting your muscle fibers tight and full will tighten up your physique and give you some lining.

It does look like youve been just kinda ****in around... not to be rude but take it constructively. itzDodge provided a lot of good advise. Keep up on super sets. Do a 4 day split and dont skimp on the cardio.

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
man ylu just gotta hit the gym hard as **** for real do a little ab work right before you leave the gym each day too, not like an extra 15 mins or anything just a few sets on decline bench or something and even that will help

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
man ylu just gotta hit the gym hard as **** for real do a little ab work right before you leave the gym each day too, not like an extra 15 mins or anything just a few sets on decline bench or something and even that will help
Pick 2 motions per workout and do 3 sets each of 15-20. Alternate a 2-3 day cycle to hit everything core. Thats all you need. When you lift heavy your core is indirectly worked in all the motions just trying to stabilize your torso during.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like the westside for skinny bastards or 5/3/1 for training.