Month 2 and frustrated

poioioi

poioioi

Awards
I've been eating clean and working out about two months. I've stayed at about a 800 calorie deficit only having carbs once a week. I work out 5 days a week for no less then 45 minutes. I go heavy and interval super sets every other week. I'm 5'11 and 260lbs quite over weight. My problem is, yes I've noticed change, gaining straight and a little difference in arms. I understand it won't happen over night but in two months I've gained one pound, I thought I would have lost a bunch in this time. Is this normal?

clk

clk

Awards
What are you basing your caloric needs on?

JG93

JG93

Awards
Some people respond differently to carb cutting.
First thing I suggest is to think and or look into carb cycling. Jumping straight into a big deficient status can also provide issues.
What I suggest is to put together a carb cycling plan, refitting you deficit starting at 3-400 below maint. And slowly moving down.

Also, if you are looking to lose fat, I didn't see where you said anything about cardio.
When I am cutting, I generally try to do a 2 on 1 off cycle.
2 with weights and my day off I use it as a cardio day.

Also, to get that metabolism going, after your workout, spend 5 minutes on the treadmill.
Walk hard for 1 minute, run as hard as you can for 15 seconds.
As you get stronger you can walk for 30 run for 30.
It will help push your metabolism up.

Muscle density is much more than fat, so sometimes you don't see the changes within the first couple months.
5'11 260 is a hefty guy.
So you are probably losing fat, not at a high rate due to lack of cardio, but seeing tiny increases due to muscle growth.

Remember.

1.Diet
2.Sleep
3.Mind
4.training

Don't look to take it all off here and now, to many people crash diet, and rebound their weight x more!

Make sure you are reaching your macros in your cut and keep up the hard work!
I don't know you but I'm proud you are dedicated!

poioioi

poioioi

Awards
Some people respond differently to carb cutting.
First thing I suggest is to think and or look into carb cycling. Jumping straight into a big deficient status can also provide issues.
What I suggest is to put together a carb cycling plan, refitting you deficit starting at 3-400 below maint. And slowly moving down.

Also, if you are looking to lose fat, I didn't see where you said anything about cardio.
When I am cutting, I generally try to do a 2 on 1 off cycle.
2 with weights and my day off I use it as a cardio day.

Also, to get that metabolism going, after your workout, spend 5 minutes on the treadmill.
Walk hard for 1 minute, run as hard as you can for 15 seconds.
As you get stronger you can walk for 30 run for 30.
It will help push your metabolism up.

Muscle density is much more than fat, so sometimes you don't see the changes within the first couple months.
5'11 260 is a hefty guy.
So you are probably losing fat, not at a high rate due to lack of cardio, but seeing tiny increases due to muscle growth.

Remember.

1.Diet
2.Sleep
3.Mind
4.training

Don't look to take it all off here and now, to many people crash diet, and rebound their weight x more!

Make sure you are reaching your macros in your cut and keep up the hard work!
I don't know you but I'm proud you are dedicated!
Thanks for the info. Your right I haven't added cardio in yet, I will definitely replay my program to add that in. I feel like I eat enough, I'm not Hungary but from what I've read I can understand what your saying about to much deficit in cals can be bad. Thanks again for your input.

poioioi

poioioi

Awards
What are you basing your caloric needs on?
I basing it on calorie maintenance calculator compared to my calorie intake. I cut down until it felt like to little then added a little and this is where I ended up. Might not be the most significant approach but it's where I started.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely get that cardio in too. It's a marathon not a sprint so don't get discouraged and keep working hard!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First, congrats on the undertaking and getting more fit.
Just a few things too...
Most people can only gain (in actual lean mass) about #5-#10 in a year. That may not sound like much, but look at how much meat a 7 pound steak is.
As was mentioned too, you could be swapping some lean weight for adipose weight, so even though your BW is not making a huge change, your body itself is redistributing the weight to muscular arms, chest, legs, back say.
Best of luck and as others have said, look at the longer picture.

JG93

JG93

Awards
First, congrats on the undertaking and getting more fit.
Just a few things too...
Most people can only gain (in actual lean mass) about #5-#10 in a year. That may not sound like much, but look at how much meat a 7 pound steak is.
As was mentioned too, you could be swapping some lean weight for adipose weight, so even though your BW is not making a huge change, your body itself is redistributing the weight to muscular arms, chest, legs, back say.
Best of luck and as others have said, look at the longer picture.
The ONLY 7 lb steaks I get, is when I butcher my own cow.

I am hungry now.
Good point as well, I touched on that very little in one of my posts. Thanks for clarifying

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are trying to lose weight and are not then you are consuming too much. Plain and simple. Cut cals more and track your carb day. Truthfully i went full keto when i wanted to turn it up. It made a world of difference. To be honest i think its either your carb ups are sabotaging your progress, by overeating, or your really not in a deficit, but think you are. It takes time bro, just keep going and make changes to see what works best for you. Good luck!

LiamG123124

LiamG123124

Awards
You're not going to loose much weight at all without cardio mate..you may gain muscle from the weight training but will notice a lot more with some hard cardio when you start to lose body fat

poioioi

poioioi

Awards
If you are trying to lose weight and are not then you are consuming too much. Plain and simple. Cut cals more and track your carb day. Truthfully i went full keto when i wanted to turn it up. It made a world of difference. To be honest i think its either your carb ups are sabotaging your progress, by overeating, or your really not in a deficit, but think you are. It takes time bro, just keep going and make changes to see what works best for you. Good luck!
I track my cal intake accurately but I'm interested in Keto I've heard about it a bunch on Rohan's podcast I think it's time to really get with it. Thanks

poioioi

poioioi

Awards
You're not going to loose much weight at all without cardio mate..you may gain muscle from the weight training but will notice a lot more with some hard cardio when you start to lose body fat
I'm definitely going to incorporate cardio. I guess at first I was thinking I could lift my fat off but I'm now convinced after talking to you all I need to up that cardio side till I'm down to reasonable human size.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I track my cal intake accurately but I'm interested in Keto I've heard about it a bunch on Rohan's podcast I think it's time to really get with it. Thanks
I don't think it's time for keto yet, for you.
What you should do is really pinpoint a perfect diet first.
When you do cardio and start fat burning you will see a metabolism change.
So get a diet down first, learn where your carbs are at, then look into keto.

Don't forget though..
Whether cutting or bulking, carbs are your friend, needed or not.
Just use them correctly.

By the way, you are of human size. Don't degrade yourself.
Look at yourself as something you want to better.
Take pictures, and do it consistently.
As you drop weight 2lbs by 2 lbs, keep doing it.
You will be where you want to be.

If money isn't tight, there are many structured diet plans out there for you.. That could be a start.
Pm me if you need more info on that.

You are in a great position to make a huge comeback story, make it count!

These answers are starting to get to the point where they are going to get repetitive and boring.
My suggestion is... Make a LOG! Update us 3 times a week or more, explain EVERYTHING. You will be holding yourself accountable, and we will be in there for the ride, and to provide information.