Does anyone NOT take a preworkout before a workout?

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not needed. Nice for a boost now and then. Most of the ergogens that have research can be taken anytime. Overall the level of physiques is not that different from when no one used them.

You also don't need a cell phone............gone two years now without one.................effect on my quality of life, big fat zero.
This is great and all, but why? We live in a world that allows for the most connectivity. I'm assuming you are a lone ranger in the sense that you dont have much family or at least your family is not widespread throughout this world. However... cell phones are a necessity for 95% of people. For example my car broke down on the way to work about a week ago.. Had to call my boss and a tow truck. What would you have done in that situation. I just dont understand the logic.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I think most modern preworkouts are just stims with nothing really backing them for mass gains.

Nothing wrong with stims, I love them too BUT I don't think a 6g serving is going to do **** for anyone. I tried making a superior formula with my Anadraulic State. The first one tasted like **** but worked so incredibly well. The second formula tasted WAY better but was still a 20g scoop or something like that.

People now want taste and stims and not much in the way of ACTUAL ergogenic effects. We sell Quake at the gym and it's a great formula, but no one likes it because it tastes like lemon milk. mesomorph tastes like candy and it sells like crazy!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
To add to that, I am telling you there is something going on with mixing ingredients. Some things just work better alone for some odd reason. A formula that looks amazing on paper might just suck when produced. It's the nature of this business.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
I think most modern preworkouts are just stims with nothing really backing them for mass gains.

Nothing wrong with stims, I love them too BUT I don't think a 6g serving is going to do **** for anyone. I tried making a superior formula with my Anadraulic State. The first one tasted like **** but worked so incredibly well. The second formula tasted WAY better but was still a 20g scoop or something like that.

People now want taste and stims and not much in the way of ACTUAL ergogenic effects. We sell Quake at the gym and it's a great formula, but no one likes it because it tastes like lemon milk. mesomorph tastes like candy and it sells like crazy!
To add to that, I am telling you there is something going on with mixing ingredients. Some things just work better alone for some odd reason. A formula that looks amazing on paper might just suck when produced. It's the nature of this business.
See that's what I love about this forum though. People are different here. They look at ingredients, and effects.
Right now I use Insane Veinz (because pumps, and the ingredients in it are specifically formulated to induce them) and half a serving of the new OL RE1GN, because the full serving has proven to be just too much stims during my low energy condition during prep.
It's been an excellent system. Just enough energy and focus component to enhance my workout that way, and tons of increased blood flow.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found myself not being able to sleep very well last night at all because I took some Mesomorph before my workout at around 5:30 pm.

I really don't want to work out without my preworkout, but if some of the veterans here do it, maybe I can take some advice.

Any of you guys workout without a preworkout supplement?
I have not used a preworkout in a lifetime. More simply because I barely use ANY supplements anymore.

But, if you have trouble sleeping re a preworkout, perhaps change what you are using. There are some NON-stim preworkouts that work well - if it is the stims in it keeping you awake. Otherwise, you could always take it earlier as well - they do not always have to be taken immediately before training and can be effective if used even 60-90 minutes prior (takes some experimenting here to figure out).

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is great and all, but why? We live in a world that allows for the most connectivity. I'm assuming you are a lone ranger in the sense that you dont have much family or at least your family is not widespread throughout this world. However... cell phones are a necessity for 95% of people. For example my car broke down on the way to work about a week ago.. Had to call my boss and a tow truck. What would you have done in that situation. I just dont understand the logic.
LOL, I would have done what 99% of the world would have done prior to oh about 1998. My family is all over the country and I live over an hour away from my immediate family. They are not a necessity, they are extremely convenient and useful yes. I do have a house phone and can be reached via my google number when online. The only time I am not reachable by phone is when I am in the car and should not be on a phone anyways. I found my cell phone, which I had for about 14 years, was a great way for people to get a hold of me when they wanted to. I was born in 1983 so I am the age where half my life was zero computer and cell phone so I have done it both ways.

fbaig

Awards
I've gone through both phases. At first I couldn't workout without loading up on pre workout but more recently I don't ever really take any.

The biggest thing I realized is that although I do perform better at the gym while on pre workout than without, the difference isn't as much physical enhancement but rather mental clarity and focus. This also causes me to have more confidence is being able to do the extra rep or weight.

If I ever have pre now it'll usually be no more than half a scoop or something I whip together myself so I can control individual ingredients.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Well, it's not dead serious as far as using it for any performance benefit, but 3g of GABA has been studied PrWO for (it doesn't matter anyway) higher transient GH output - I've done up to 5g and get paresthesia like a mofo. Niacin is well known for flush. So 50/50 on "seriousness".
Niacin makes my skin red as hell, it is a lot different than the BA tingles, lol.

U know what, **** off, ill keep the PWOs with caffeine.:yuck:

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Niacin makes my skin red as hell, it is a lot different than the BA tingles, lol.

U know what, **** off, ill keep the PWOs with caffeine.:yuck:
HIGH doses of niacin, higher than what's in most PWOs, gives me a short-lived "sunburn" of sorts. That's the best way I can describe it. It did actually help me stay warm and warm up faster in a cold Canadian gym though, so it may be conditionally beneficial haha.

Laxarcher13

Laxarcher13

Awards

Haha ****in lemon milk. Do you still have it up for sale anywhere I want to take a look at the ingredients. Need a replacement for dust extreme, it's to expensive

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have not used a preworkout in a lifetime. More simply because I barely use ANY supplements anymore.

But, if you have trouble sleeping re a preworkout, perhaps change what you are using. There are some NON-stim preworkouts that work well - if it is the stims in it keeping you awake. Otherwise, you could always take it earlier as well - they do not always have to be taken immediately before training and can be effective if used even 60-90 minutes prior (takes some experimenting here to figure out).
Interesting. You done fooling around with the supp industry? Haven't seen you here in a while.

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently switched to CelluVol, the stim-free PWO by MPA. I would argue that its ingredient profile is second to none. There is nothing like feeling (and looking) like a beast in the gym. Mind-muscle connection!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
HIGH doses of niacin, higher than what's in most PWOs, gives me a short-lived "sunburn" of sorts. That's the best way I can describe it. It did actually help me stay warm and warm up faster in a cold Canadian gym though, so it may be conditionally beneficial haha.
Niacin protocol for bad lipids is the only reason I'd try it, but there's a side effect that I can't remember - just heard an MD discussing it, but forget which podcast it was.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting. You done fooling around with the supp industry? Haven't seen you here in a while.
Who said I ever "fooled around with the sup industry"? We all do things for a purpose (at least, I should hope so). And just because I am not as vocal does not mean I'm not "here".

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Niacin protocol for bad lipids is the only reason I'd try it, but there's a side effect that I can't remember - just heard an MD discussing it, but forget which podcast it was.
I remember hearing about that, but I also don't remember the specifics. I used it probably a few times a week for maybe a few weeks, so I wasn't really concerned. I wouldn't have really planned on using that high dose chronically though. Just more of a "quick fix" at the time.

Edit: It was decreased insulin sensitivity.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember hearing about that, but I also don't remember the specifics. I used it probably a few times a week for maybe a few weeks, so I wasn't really concerned. I wouldn't have really planned on using that high dose chronically though. Just more of a "quick fix" at the time.

Maybe you guys should load up on niacin, given these two posts. See below:

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/b-vitamins-for-memory-niacin-benefits-for-alzheimers-disease/

Also, funny about the insulin sensitivity thing....I've seen studies that say it is helpful in diabetics I believe...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/b-vitamins-for-memory-niacin-benefits-for-alzheimers-disease/

Also, funny about the insulin sensitivity thing....I've seen studies that say it is helpful in diabetics I believe...
I had a witty retort for you, but I seem to have forgotten it...

As for the insulin sensitivity, I'm not sure of the net/overall effects/benefits for diabetes, but there are studies showing reduced insulin sensitivity (or increased insulin resistance) in non-diabetic subjects. I'm not exactly sure of the magnitude or practical significance of this, or how exercise impacts it, but it is something I'd at least look into if you plan on using high doses of niacin for extended periods of time.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established

Why don’t we see more capsule type preworkouts? Besides the obvious of the slight delay in absorption...I’d much rather swallow 8 caps at once and not have to deal with the sweetness of most preworkouts. That’s one reason I actually like Universal Animal Pump...but they don’t sell it in stores. Guess I’m a loner in this preference...

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Bingo. Thx

I think you guys should reconsider using Niacin as a means of improving lipid profiles, while it does increase HDL, it does not having any meaningful impact of the beneficial aspects of HDL functionality (cholesterol efflux or anti-inflammatory properties). Recent findings have shown Niacin treatment doesn't reduce CAD events.

Some light reading
http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150(15)30090-3/fulltext
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4746727/

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I think you guys should reconsider using Niacin as a means of improving lipid profiles, while it does increase HDL, it does not having any meaningful impact of the beneficial aspects of HDL functionality (cholesterol efflux or anti-inflammatory properties). Recent findings have shown Niacin treatment doesn't reduce CAD events.
Exactly. Niacin is a waste. A theoretically sound fluke in reality.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why don’t we see more capsule type preworkouts? Besides the obvious of the slight delay in absorption...I’d much rather swallow 8 caps at once and not have to deal with the sweetness of most preworkouts. That’s one reason I actually like Universal Animal Pump...but they don’t sell it in stores. Guess I’m a loner in this preference...
I'd say you definitely are in the minority. That's why so much time is spent on getting the flavors just right. Hell, I'd down a tub of Hemavol in 4-5 days in the summer because the lemon flavor couldn't be touched. I'd have diarrhea for days, but it was worth it. Lol.

The only thing I would say is great in cap form is potassium nitrate.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd say you definitely are in the minority. That's why so much time is spent on getting the flavors just right. Hell, I'd down a tub of Hemavol in 4-5 days in the summer because the lemon flavor couldn't be touched. I'd have diarrhea for days, but it was worth it. Lol.

The only thing I would say is great in cap form is potassium nitrate.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The only time I take a preworkout is before house chores, before mowing the lawn, or when I'm watching my 4 month old son without my wife around.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I also take a preworkout before meetings that last more than 2 hours. I went through 15 years of college. I just can't listen to people talk for extended periods of time about topics that don't interest me without a little something extra in the system.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Some light reading
http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150(15)30090-3/fulltext
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4746727/
But, but, but I have scientific studies too!

Of course I was making some supplement-nerd humor because they both said, "Niacin has another effect...I just can't remember...." And it turns out, niacin may improve memory.

But it is interesting how we study ingredients and get results and it never goes anywhere. In contrast, The_Old_Guy said something once that was spot on - I do lots of things that I'm not sure what the exact health benefits are, but I believe long term they are good for me - like eating broccoli.

I wonder if there is any science around the health aspects of broccoli? I've never looked...maybe I will later.

I also had a doctor once debating the benefits of N-Acetylcysteine for someone taking tylenol chronically. He asked how I had used it - I had originally bought some for my girlfriend who wanted to try it for her asthma - and he asked, "Did it cure her?" ...I bit my tongue but it was hard...I could have asked, "Have you ever cured asthma?" Sometimes a single "cure" isn't really the point.

The only time I take a preworkout is before house chores, before mowing the lawn, or when I'm watching my 4 month old son without my wife around.
Lol - how'd watching your son go? Great, I was running around with him for hours and now I've got this killer pump!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
But, but, but I have scientific studies too!

Of course I was making some supplement-nerd humor because they both said, "Niacin has another effect...I just can't remember...." And it turns out, niacin may improve memory.

But it is interesting how we study ingredients and get results and it never goes anywhere. In contrast, The_Old_Guy said something once that was spot on - I do lots of things that I'm not sure what the exact health benefits are, but I believe long term they are good for me - like eating broccoli.

I wonder if there is any science around the health aspects of broccoli? I've never looked...maybe I will later.

I also had a doctor once debating the benefits of N-Acetylcysteine for someone taking tylenol chronically. He asked how I had used it - I had originally bought some for my girlfriend who wanted to try it for her asthma - and he asked, "Did it cure her?" ...I bit my tongue but it was hard...I could have asked, "Have you ever cured asthma?" Sometimes a single "cure" isn't really the point.

Lol - how'd watching your son go? Great, I was running around with him for hours and now I've got this killer pump!
I am simply not convinced that cholesterol values have much to do with heart disease. The data just isn't there for me to draw that conclusion.

Broccoli is amazing stuff. Contains sulforphane which is a natural anti-cancer and anti-estrogen

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

I don't need it, my HDL is 90. IIRC below 40 or 30 is where you should worry (too lazy to look at the range). Then there's the "only particle sizes really matter" argument for even high LDL, which makes sense. I don't worry about my lipids, just pass along what I read and hear - which is countered by what others read and hear :D

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am simply not convinced that cholesterol values have much to do with heart disease. The data just isn't there for me to draw that conclusion.

Broccoli is amazing stuff. Contains sulforphane which is a natural anti-cancer and anti-estrogen
Yeah, I think it isn't a simple cause and effect situation at all. I think there is a role, but there are a lot of roles. A lot if times we see things like our body uses one pathway or system to achieve and outcome and we don't realize that when a preferred pathway breaks, we switch to another pathway to achieve the goal and survive. They all intermingle and having one that is "off" may signal an issue but things could still be fine.

And there are a TON of chemicals in broccoli that really do make it a super food. My grandmother is on warfarin and doesn't eat greens like broccoli because of that, and it is amazing to research her issues and realize how much if it tracks back to a chemical that broccoli, spinach, etc. Would provide.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't need it, my HDL is 90. IIRC below 40 or 30 is where you should worry (too lazy to look at the range). Then there's the "only particle sizes really matter" argument for even high LDL, which makes sense. I don't worry about my lipids, just pass along what I read and hear - which is countered by what others read and hear :D
It was a joke. You said it had a side effect but you can't remember....niacin helps in Alzheimer's. I am just not very funny

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know a guy with a study who knows a guy.....

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It was a joke. You said it had a side effect but you can't remember....niacin helps in Alzheimer's. I am just not very funny
This post cracked me up, so I disagree with you sir!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

broccoli contains indole 3 carbinol which i believe has these effects yes? also brussel sprouts, cauliflower and some others

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Ahhhhh.... LOL. Maybe I'm not astute? Is there a pill for that?

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Who said I ever "fooled around with the sup industry"? We all do things for a purpose (at least, I should hope so). And just because I am not as vocal does not mean I'm not "here".
I was putting it in the nicest way possible as I've watched you rep for a number of companies, and didn't see a company rep in your sig.
But glad you're doing well.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I also take a preworkout before meetings that last more than 2 hours. I went through 15 years of college. I just can't listen to people talk for extended periods of time about topics that don't interest me without a little something extra in the system.
I too have taken pre workouts before less than desirable tasks. Being forced to be somewhere is bad enough as it is, especially if its just bureaucracy and not even interesting...and of course cleaning is much easier with stims. Though I do not have children my brother has two young daughters and I can barely keep up with them..their idea of playing is having me hop on one leg and kick a ball and then do it again...for no apparent reason. lol I can't remember if I was like that at those ages (6 and 4). But at least there is no diaper changing involved...

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'd like to implement a policy where participants in bureaucratic meetings are required to snort no less than 2 12" lines of preworkout. Pure DMAA or Caffiene would be an acceptable substitute.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So, am I deficient? Or is everyone else deficient?
This post cracked me up, so I disagree with you sir!
Sweet! #Winning

Glad I don't need anymore...uh...wait, what were we talking about?

Ahhhhh.... LOL. Maybe I'm not astute? Is there a pill for that?
He already told you, you need niacin. It's worse than I thought. ;)
Lmao - in reality, we can't fault him. Our brains only have so much capacity, like a cup holding water. The_old_guy is clearly over full...and you better watch out too, you must be getting pretty close. As for me...I've got plenty of room. Lots of empty boxes in my attic.

I was putting it in the nicest way possible as I've watched you rep for a number of companies, and didn't see a company rep in your sig.
Rosie is a great person and to be honest, I bet she gets rep offers....but she is hesitant to rep anything she doesn't trust and believe in as far as I can tell. I hate to speak for her, but that is what I see.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I see. I wouldn't call TWO "a number of companies". Always assumptions.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lulz.

troybrown

troybrown

Awards
ugh i may have a problem..i drink PWO's everyday..even if im not training..
also a PWO horder.. I enjoy variety , i have a different one for everyday...i need help...lol

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
ugh i may have a problem..i drink PWO's everyday..even if im not training..
also a PWO horder.. I enjoy variety , i have a different one for everyday...i need help...lol
I have like 4 I haven’t opened yet and 6 I have currently in my cabinet. I feel your pain lol

troybrown

troybrown

Awards
I have like 4 I haven’t opened yet and 6 I have currently in my cabinet. I feel your pain lol
lol...Im a sucker for BOGO deals....in rotation now i currently have every flavor of reign, every flavor of kraken ,every flavor of meso(minus tutti frutti)(messed up thing is i had all that meso already, i didnt stock up becuz of recent news) every flavor of sidewalk krakka...2 tubs of Hyde and 2 tubs of hypermax xt coming in the mail monday or tuesday..yep im heading to PWO ANONYMOUS in no time.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your comments were either taken the wrong way, or theres a history here Im unaware of.
A little of both. :smoker:

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
lol...Im a sucker for BOGO deals....in rotation now i currently have every flavor of reign, every flavor of kraken ,every flavor of meso(minus tutti frutti)(messed up thing is i had all that meso already, i didnt stock up becuz of recent news) every flavor of sidewalk krakka...2 tubs of Hyde and 2 tubs of hypermax xt coming in the mail monday or tuesday..yep im heading to PWO ANONYMOUS in no time.
Haha...I feel a little better about myself and my supplement addiction now.

No offense...:)