Does anyone NOT take a preworkout before a workout?

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Now that I think about it, I didn't really start using pre workouts until I became an adult lol.

Usually kids use them an adults are like pass the coffee. What's that say about me
I usually drink my morning coffee a couple hours before I exercise, if I drink it like a pre, 15-30 min before, it upsets my stomach.
Plus coffee treats me like the og superdump 250.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
And oral steroids.
Yes, but we have those today too now don't we. So what's your point?

My point is we don't "need" preworkouts and all these fancy products. Sure, they help, but they obviously aren't necessary.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

My point is we don't "need" preworkouts and all these fancy products. Sure, they help, but they obviously aren't necessary.
They are one of the highest profit margin products in the industry (*especially* if prop blended) - so they get pimped like crazy. I'm cheap, so if I want something Pre, it's a cup of Black Coffee/Green Tea, some cheap Noot/s (Choline/Hup-A, etc...) and some Cit-Mal.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards

Idk that anyone is saying they're necessary, but like you said they help. The supplement industry has been developing and improving for years. That's why they didn't use them back then...

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How should I approach another bro at the gym for candy at the gym?
I'm looking to start my first cycle and trying to figure how to get my hands on some gear without being scammed.
Find the biggest guy in the locker room and jerk him off. Then he will help u out.
Just 1 dude? Dang, they told me I had to jerk everyone off in the locker room! I got cheated!
:gay:
Oh, I forgot, "no homo."

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oops my bad, wrong thread.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Haha wtf

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not needed
Sometimes I use one, other times I don't.

I remember when there was no such thing as a pre-workout drink
I do too. Have long have you been into the supplement game? 2002 here when I really got into it.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
A piece of fruit and a cup of coffee should work just fine...

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SNS Focus-XT caffeine free with some SNS Agmatine sulfate and SNS citrulline Malate.
I've used this multiple times when training later in the evening.
This is my go to regimen. Focus XT Caffeine Free + Agmatine XT :biggthumpup:

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
I Love PWO, but for those that train at night, forget about sleeping. When i take at night usually i sleep at 3 to 4a.m

Have anyone tried Beta Alanine standalone as pwo?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I Love PWO, but for those that train at night, forget about sleeping. When i take at night usually i sleep at 3 to 4a.m

Have anyone tried Beta Alanine standalone as pwo?
BA does nothing acutely, and doesn't help at all unless your exertion event is in the 120 second + (?? Look exact time up) range. Weights alone, don't need it. Long Sled Drags, Farmer's Carries, CultFit TM etc... it can help. But it's so cheap in bulk, it's like a "hey, why not" 4 cents a day type supp.

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
BA does nothing acutely, and doesn't help at all unless your exertion event is in the 120 second + (?? Look exact time up) range. Weights alone, don't need it. Long Sled Drags, Farmer's Carries, CultFit TM etc... it can help. But it's so cheap in bulk, it's like a "hey, why not" 4 cents a day type supp.
Yeah, i was thinking about buying in bulk form, and it comes with a scoop of 3.2 grams. Well the BA tingles gives some placebo effect for mind energy. But i never tried it standalone as i said.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I started lifting and taking supplements in 91, we had the real ephedra and weight gainer. I'd consume about 3000 calories, take a few ephedra and go bananas for 3 hours. :)

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In the 2000's damn good strong pre was ephedrine as a supp. Just take 2 or 3 ripped fuel or xenadrine 45 minutes pre workout

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Yeah, i was thinking about buying in bulk form, and it comes with a scoop of 3.2 grams. Well the BA tingles gives some placebo effect for mind energy. But i never tried it standalone as i said.
The Paresthesia lasts for like 2 minutes... but whatwver works for you :D Add 5g of GABA and Niacin if you benefit from "tingles" LOL.

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The Paresthesia lasts for like 2 minutes... but whatwver works for you :D Add 5g of GABA and Niacin if you benefit from "tingles" LOL.
is this serious or sarcasm. I wanted to comment too about the BA tingles getting me in the zone, but as you mentioned it does only last a few minutes and wouldnt mind feeling that a bit longer

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
is this serious or sarcasm. I wanted to comment too about the BA tingles getting me in the zone, but as you mentioned it does only last a few minutes and wouldnt mind feeling that a bit longer
Well, it's not dead serious as far as using it for any performance benefit, but 3g of GABA has been studied PrWO for (it doesn't matter anyway) higher transient GH output - I've done up to 5g and get paresthesia like a mofo. Niacin is well known for flush. So 50/50 on "seriousness".

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We had Ultimate Orange and Hot Stuff back in the 90's ;)
OG Hot Stuff... I got huge with that stuff. I think it was laced with something. (Dbol)

compan

compan

Awards
I drink a pre-workout before every lifting session, every time. Strangely (maybe?) enough I NEVER drink a pre before BJJ, Muay Thai or Hockey. I actually prefer to train or play hockey slightly fatigued because I feel like I think better and calmer.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My first PWO ever was Driven Sports Craze, so obviously I was instantly sold on PWOs. There has been no turning back for me ever since.

compan

compan

Awards
My first PWO ever was Driven Sports Craze, so obviously I was instantly sold on PWOs. There has been no turning back for me ever since.
You literally started with borderline meth.

I wasn't much different with OG D-Stunner lol. That was the first game changer for me. First one ever was NOXplode... yikes.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
I started on the OG 1MR... many sleepless nights in high school.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
I've barely ever used a pre-workout. I think a lot of it is placebo, it's kind of the thing to do nowadays. Some of the ingredients may have a positive effect on the workout, but they aren't necessary to take before the workout even for this to happen - Beta Alanine for instance. This ingredient doesn't help your workout just because you took it before you went to workout...just take it for a few weeks and let it build up in your system and it will have the same effect.

Agmatine, Citrulline, Glycerol, etc. - if you want the pump, etc. - these won't keep you awake.

Sometimes I take preworkouts, it can be fun, and once you drink it you kind of feel committed - but I workout more without it than I do with it.
I mean me just taking caffeine and Ephendrin without beta alanine or other common preworkout ingredients gives me ALOT more than placebo. Couple stimulants with other pre WO ingredients and I think it's way way more than any placebo.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found myself not being able to sleep very well last night at all because I took some Mesomorph before my workout at around 5:30 pm.

I really don't want to work out without my preworkout, but if some of the veterans here do it, maybe I can take some advice.

Any of you guys workout without a preworkout supplement?
Mesomorph is pretty intense to take in the evening. try a pre that doesn't have DMAA or DMHA in it.
How many hrs from when you take your pre to when you try to go to sleep?

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Mesomorph is pretty intense to take in the evening. try a pre that doesn't have DMAA or DMHA in it.
How many hrs from when you take your pre to when you try to go to sleep?
I started taking bulk by transparent labs which doesn't have dmaa in it. Just a little caffeine!

I usually lift around 5 or 530 and i get in bed around 830

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I mean me just taking caffeine and Ephendrin without beta alanine or other common preworkout ingredients gives me ALOT more than placebo. Couple stimulants with other pre WO ingredients and I think it's way way more than any placebo.
I am not arguing - but I would first ask you to elucidate on "what" exactly it gives you. I'm not disagreeing that Beta Alanine can have benefits - but it doesn't have to be in a preworkout. I'm not arguing that agmatine, citrulline, etc. don't have some "pump" enhancement.

But what, in reality, does a workout with a pump from agmatine give you vs. a workout with no agmatine and a lesser pump?

And yeah - if you're tired then caffeine and ephedrine can give you a boost, but it's not really an "every workout" thing. And beyond those stims and MAYBE DMAA - can you tell me of anything else that is really effective? I am a little biased here because most stims have little effect on me; and usually the doses that do have effects on me come with a bunch of negative sides.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am not arguing - but I would first ask you to elucidate on "what" exactly it gives you. I'm not disagreeing that Beta Alanine can have benefits - but it doesn't have to be in a preworkout. I'm not arguing that agmatine, citrulline, etc. don't have some "pump" enhancement.

But what, in reality, does a workout with a pump from agmatine give you vs. a workout with no agmatine and a lesser pump?

And yeah - if you're tired then caffeine and ephedrine can give you a boost, but it's not really an "every workout" thing. And beyond those stims and MAYBE DMAA - can you tell me of anything else that is really effective? I am a little biased here because most stims have little effect on me; and usually the doses that do have effects on me come with a bunch of negative sides.
Caffeine is an obvious one that can acutely improve power output. Things like citrulline and/or nitrates can also potentially increase endurance (beyond just giving you a better pump), which may help you get an extra rep or two, especially on later sets in your workout, which could lead to a bit more gains/progress over time. There's also the psychological aspect of it, which I suppose could fall somewhat into a "placebo effect," as a better pump and/or more vascularity could lead to you feeling better/stronger in the gym and/or working harder/longer, but that's a bit more subjective than some of the more objective and quantifiable effects mentioned earlier in this post.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Caffeine is an obvious one that can acutely improve power output. Things like citrulline and/or nitrates can also potentially increase endurance (beyond just giving you a better pump), which may help you get an extra rep or two, especially on later sets in your workout, which could lead to a bit more gains/progress over time. There's also the psychological aspect of it, which I suppose could fall somewhat into a "placebo effect," as a better pump and/or more vascularity could lead to you feeling better/stronger in the gym and/or working harder/longer, but that's a bit more subjective than some of the more objective and quantifiable effects mentioned earlier in this post.
If I can't feel the muscle working because of training fasted or other reasons, but if I do take a pump product and can feel the muscle better then, is that not in turn making the workout more effective? If you can't feel the muscle working than you may be not hitting it correctly or even using it at all right?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I can't feel the muscle working because of training fasted or other reasons, but if I do take a pump product and can feel the muscle better then, is that not in turn making the workout more effective? If you can't feel the muscle working than you may be not hitting it correctly or even using it at all right?
That's a good point. Even if it doesn't improve power output or weight lifted, the mind-muscle connection and actually working the target muscle is very important IMO. My opinion on the whole pre-workout discussion is that they're great, and I use something before the vast majority of my workouts, whether it's a pre-workout with a relatively high stim content, a stim-free PWO with some coffee or nootropics or another source for energy, or just some bulk citrulline and coffee. I agree that we shouldn't let ourselves become so dependent on these supplements that we can't, or more accurately won't, workout without them. Realistically, as long as you don't let your stimulant tollerance (and intake) get out of control, I don't see anything wrong with using PWOs for the vast majority of your workouts, just make sure you don't have trouble sleeping from whatever PWO you decide to use if you workout late in the day.

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
6 grams of L citrulline pre workout definitely gives me improved muscular endurance not just pump

aovereem

Awards
  • Established
A large cup of coffee and maybe a scoop of arginine. I have nothing against people using pwo´s every once in a while but if you can´t workout without taking some silly preworkout drink you´re a big fat *****

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A large cup of coffee and maybe a scoop of arginine. I have nothing against people using pwo´s every once in a while but if you can´t workout without taking some silly preworkout drink you´re a big fat *****
Citrulline >>>>> Arginine as a pre-workout ingredient.

Steezy

Steezy

Awards
  • Established
The day you finally run out of PWO and cant afford to buy another tub is the day you finally learn how to have a great workout without the needed stims/supplements.. well thats what it took for me to come to my senses that a PWO is NOT needed for a great workout!! I have been off the PWO for a month and it really has taught me that proper eating times/nutrition has a great effect in your workouts!!

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Hey I'm not fat

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well I am guilty of being one of those that can't picture working out without a PWO. It honestly does give me that extra motivation...the energy, pumps, and endurance all play a factor. I realize much of it is psychological dependence at this point. I certainly don't "need" all the performance enhancing benefits of the top PWOs...but it sure is nice! It is also a tough habit to break after doing it for years upon years. The most I am able to train is 3-4 times a week due to work constraints, so at least I don't take one everyday.

It's odd for me to think about how I used to train without any PWO's before Craze came out. Seems completely foreign and awkward to me now. So yeah, I am one of those guys that is PWO dependent...at least in my own head..

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My pre-workout is 1.5l of water, lol.
No, but in all complete honesty-
I often don't take anything and when I do it will be arginine (1-4g) and acetyl-l-carnitine (500mg-2g). So to answer your question, no, I don't really take a pre-workout most of time. Only the two I mentioned on days where I want to tear it up and go longer.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The day you finally run out of PWO and cant afford to buy another tub is the day you finally learn how to have a great workout without the needed stims/supplements.. well thats what it took for me to come to my senses that a PWO is NOT needed for a great workout!! I have been off the PWO for a month and it really has taught me that proper eating times/nutrition has a great effect in your workouts!!
Exactly, sometimes the no stimulates at all feel like a better workout, at least it felt this way to me. Ive taken off pre workouts on purpose. That said Ive been taking gamer up which is like 125 s caffiene, two grams taurine, and two grams tyrosine, Not very stimulating at all

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not needed. Nice for a boost now and then. Most of the ergogens that have research can be taken anytime. Overall the level of physiques is not that different from when no one used them.

You also don't need a cell phone............gone two years now without one.................effect on my quality of life, big fat zero.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I think like a lot of others I was hooked on Pre-Workouts when I started lifting. There was/is just SO many different ones to try and the advertising is really effective. The Original DS Craze and Jacked 3D were mindblowing...Literally haha!
I had a 2 month layoff due to an illness early last year and when I went back into the gym I never started back on the pre-workouts, still haven't either. I still try the occasional sample that you get with supp orders but I think a lot of it is psychosomatic, where you think you need it more than you actually do and it does more than it actually does.

However, if DS or anybody else comes back with the original Craze I'd be on that faster than you can say "Trippin"!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You also don't need a cell phone............gone two years now without one.................effect on my quality of life, big fat zero.
Nice. Yure the only person ive heard of this. Thats great youre doing your own thing and marching to the beat of your own drum