College Football

smnolz

Awards
Huskies,
I know yall really love saying we lost a shot at the 2000 championship because yall beat us, but the fact is that we got screwed by the then BCS formula. FSU shoulda never been in the OB that year against OU, we should have. We had a better strength of schedule than both you and the Criminoles, and we beat FSU head to head when they were #1.

If you remember, they changed the BCS formula after that fiasco, and we would have played OU with the formula that was present in '01. We would have beaten OU and their mediocre offense in the OB that year.

Ah, you gotta love the Criminole, F$U, Semenoles smack. I doubt "the U" would have fared much better against OU. The Sooners pretty good that year. Sure I could make excuses like, "We were overconfident." or, "We didn't have Snoop." None of it matters except the scoreboard which read 13-2 OU.

It is amazing to read the kind of hate the Canes have toward the Noles. It's as if YOU have lost the last 5 matchups. I have zero love for the Canes, but at least I respect their ability to man up and beat a pretty good FSU team consistantly.

Welcome to the ACC Canes and here's to hoping we can give you a better game this time.

Brock Landers

Awards
"It is amazing to read the kind of hate the Canes have toward the Noles"

Huh? Its called a rivalry, you know, where you really despise the other team? Its one of the top 3 or 4 rivalries in the country, and it has been consistent since the 80's. We all respect the Noles, it will be our toughest game of the year, but there is no love for you guys from any Hurricane. No disrespect, its just what a rivalry is all about. And especially with the 2000 season, since i do remember beating you guys in the OB that year. For FSU to play in the NC felt like a slap in the face.

smnolz

Awards
"It is amazing to read the kind of hate the Canes have toward the Noles"

Huh? Its called a rivalry, you know, where you really despise the other team? Its one of the top 3 or 4 rivalries in the country, and it has been consistent since the 80's. We all respect the Noles, it will be our toughest game of the year, but there is no love for you guys from any Hurricane. No disrespect, its just what a rivalry is all about. And especially with the 2000 season, since i do remember beating you guys in the OB that year. For FSU to play in the NC felt like a slap in the face.
No, I understand rivalries. I personally feel that this one is THE best. There is no doubt that there is quite a lot of respect given from both teams to the other. This is amazing considering how hotly contested many of these games have been. Really if you look at the last five games, the Noles have played better at Miami.

Our teams really are quite similar. Especially in the area of quarterback. Both players have potential that is rarely tapped to its fullest. As the QB's for these teams go, so goes the team. Personally, I think that Bobby and the coaches play it way too close to the vest when playing the Canes. Much too conservative. Just look at last years OB. The Canes let it all hang out. It won you the game. Perhaps the old 'Riverboat Gambler' days are gone. The fake punt reminded me of Bobby's younger days.

If our coaches had studied much film on you last year, they would have seen you ran the same play against Temple (I believe). Should have seen it coming.

Hey could be worse, we could be Gator fans. :rofl:

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Texas vs. Texas A&M is a great rivalry along with Texas and OU.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Best Rivalry - No Question: OSU - Michigan
It's just as big as Yankees - Red Sox

USC opens up the season against Virginia Tech
USC is clearly the better team - but VT may pull an early season upset. USC may beat them by 50 also.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, what bugs me about the Trojans is their lack of competition. They were last year, and should be again this year, head and shoulders above anyone other team in the PAC.

If they had the schedule of LSU, we could get a better read on their ability, but sadly, they may get too easy a path to the Orange Bowl/ National Championship.

I have to commend them for playing Va Tech in the college pre season, that's gutsy in this age of BCS rankings when all the others Collegiate powers are warming up on much weaker teams.
I agree, the PAC10 is weak for football&basketball
The USC - VTech game is an official game... At least I think.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Thank God, John "Feet of Stone" Navare is gone.
Why did Michigan hate Navare so much? Lack of big plays or big game success?
I didn't watch him him other than less than a handful of games. He was decent, and pretty good once he got in a rhythm.

Brock Landers

Awards
Navarre was a good QB. I mean, by the standards at Michigan, it all comes down to if you can beat OSU, and he did.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Noles,
I do not hate FSU, but I really was pissed at seeing them in the Orange in 2000. And you are fooling yourself if you don't think we could have beaten OU. You forget that we had 20 1st round picks on that team. I think our rivalry is probably the 2nd best in football. No one is worse than the Gators, they've officially taken the title of Thug U from us.

Brock - I second the 2002 comment.

And USC's schedule this year is pathetic. The word I've heard is that they came to us, LSU, Texas, and a few of the big teams wanting one of them to come to LA for the kickoff classic (that VT ended up taking), but without a return trip to the other team's stadium. They apparently said that LA was a neutral site. I thought that was pretty funny. I mean, really, no big-time team is going to schedule a one-way ticket to a home game for SC. But I never understood the "spin" coming out of the SC fans on some of the football forums. "Yall (whichever school they were mocking) are scared to play us."

Rogue - I think Meeeeeechigan can pull it out at OSU.

And SC-VT is not the season's first big game, sorry. VT is a washed up team. The season's first big game is on Labor Day night at 8ET. FSU at Miami. God, I can't wait.

lvtrojan

Awards
USC does have a soft schedule this year.
Well you gotta remember that we tried to schedule UL-Monroe, Western Ill, and Louisiana Tech, but it just didnt work out....must have been that return trip that we "supposedly" don't offer anyone...well except Colorado, KSU, Auburn, BYU..... :rofl:

BTW, if LSU was soooooooo much tougher than 'SC last year, why was the hypothetical opening line in Vegas 'SC (-7) ???? hmmmm.

But in all seriousness, yes its a soft schedule this year, with only threats coming from VT and WSU. But hey, thats why the game is played so who knows.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
And if Vegas was always right I'd be a millionare from the spot cards, which I use for entertainment purposes only of course.

Man, I'm itching for fall. It's been a sorry summer here anyway so I say bring on the 50's and football. We spent an hour debating the SI college rankings edition at work today. It sill amazes me how nobody is from CO and it made for an interesting conversation with 4 people from 4 different colleges going at it.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I don't talk college football at work. The talk would invariably turn towards LSU (since I work in Louisiana), and I don't much care for a team that has won 2 titles in nearly 50 years.

Ivan,
I never said LSU was tougher than SC. I think SC would have won that game. As for the return trip, go to some of the big schools' forums on theinsiders, there are people close to a few of these teams that have posted about SC approaching them about the game in LA this year. And when they asked when the return trip would take place, the response was "we'll talk later" or whatever. I really don't know if that is true or not, but I did see it on a few forums, so it made me wonder. It's not a knock on SC. I just don't want to hear these SC fans spout off about "we'll play anyone, anywhere; yall are scared, etc". Any team can win one national title, it's a helluva lot harder to play at that high level for more than one year.

Just ask Ohio State*

Last edited:

lvtrojan

Awards
I just don't want to hear these SC fans spout off about "we'll play anyone, anywhere; yall are scared, etc". Any team can win one national title, it's a helluva lot harder to play at that high level for more than one year.

Just ask Ohio State*
Sounds like you've been to my other frequent site, wearesc.com :)

The 'SC AD is an egomaniac, nopoleon complexed, affirmative action hire. So the fans dont believe much of what he says either. So as far as return trip promises who knows.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
TOMORROW!! Even if it is only two games, I'm so freaking happy it's football time.

Brock Landers

Awards
I heard that!!!! GO CANES!!!!!!!!! (even though its not for a week)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Brock - my man,
What do you think about Gore being named the starter? I've read on Grassy that he had, by far, the best camp of any back. Apparently Moss showed up lazy.

Did you see where Willie is possibly out for the year with a torn knee ligament? Our LB corps is now really, REALLY thin. I'm worried about that.

Brock Landers

Awards
I read about that. My feeling is this.....we are so stacked at that position I would like to see if Gore really is the best for us. If he returns to freshman form, watch out, I think he averaged 9 yards a carry then. I would also like to see quadtrine hill used there as well, they say he is a bowling ball going into the line (kinda Ron Dayne-like when he played for Wisconsin). Not sure about Moss, seems like he came into NFL-U camp expecting to start and went through the motions. He did well last year, but I want him to get pissed that Coker put his ass on the bench. You know there is no time to feel bad if you are on the team, there is someone right behind you that will probably go in the first round, so you need to rebound quickly. Lets see if Moss has what it takes.

With that Williams Injury, I heard there was a massive pile up and he was at the bottom of it. I know they are working Jon Beason at linebacker and possibly Buck Ortega as well, and both are doing pretty good. Williams was going to have to sit for academic reasons until the 4th game anyways, so I really dont see much lost. But, they said he was an animal in practice so much that they were working him at MLB, the hardest position to learn. Whats more is that Ive read that he has been demolishing people there. I give him 6 weeks till hes ready to go, right around when he was slotted to play anways. LB may be a problem though if Williams and McIntosh go down. But hey, we will do like we always do, just reload and make someone else step up.

Im concerned about Wide Receiver and Safety. Lance leggett is going to be a monster for us, tall and quick with great hands. Moss is a burner, but Moore and the others have much to prove. As to Safety, I think we may be exposed here. I know they want to run more blitzes with our speed, but they better be zone, because I dont see our defensive backfield as good without Taylor.

In all, if we get past Half-Ass U, expect us to run the table. If not, it could be a long season, we need to come into the ACC and make a statement. My prediction is that we take the Criminoles 31-17. Berlin goes for 250 2td/1int, we rush for 100 and the D picks Rix twice, one for a TD. We have too much speed for them on defense.

I say all this because our guys know they are going to win, where as FSU thinks they can win. Been that way for the past 6 games, simple as that.

Welcome to the ACC...........Another Canes Championship.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
USC was on the ropes
they will lose in a shootout to 2 PAC10 teams.
they arent the same without Mike Williams

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I honestly believe that if it wasn't for that crappy interference call that game would have went the other way, but who am I to complain about interference calls? I'm an Ohio State fan after all.

Havok

Awards
USC is the best IMO, they're recruiting has also been among the top 5 the last couple of years.

BTW, Cal will catch some teams by surprise this year. Their QB Aaron Rodgers doesn't get a lot of recognition but he's one of the best in the nation.

What do you guys think about Florida ? I'm intrigued cause I can see their AD hoping for a subpar year so he can fire Ron Zook and hire Spurrier
USC had trouble with VA tech
Lost Mike Williams and thier other starter receiver
They lost a tackle, and their back

No way they repeat, no way

size

Awards
  • Established
USC vs VaTech....Thanks Va Tech for the cover. :D
Impressions:
USC's o-line looked bad in first half.
Bad offensive pass interference call on VaTech changed the game.

lvtrojan

Awards
USC had trouble with VA tech
Lost Mike Williams and thier other starter receiver
They lost a tackle, and their back

No way they repeat, no way

Yeah, we definatley lucked out with the call...a gamebreaker to say the least.

Life without (sux):

Mike Williams - Wr Keary Colbert - WR

But also (starter holes):

Winston Justice - OL (suspended)
Hershel Dennis - TB (suspended)
Brandon Hancock - FB (injured)

Young guys have to step up. Game #2 will be the litmus test.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Brock,

Great to see anyother Canes bro on here. I fully agree with you man. But I must say I think the Georgia Tech game will be our toughest road game. (That place will be a sell out, only because the stadium is so small.) The fact remains, we have Brock Berlin at QB - I don't think anyone truthfully thinks we can win a National Title game with him at QB. I think we can get to it, but not win it. That is, unless he had a really, really bad season last year and has gotten the multitude of INT's out of his system. We are also really thin at LB - esp. with Willie Williams uncertain to come to school. If he's allowed to play, I think our D will be on of the top 3 D's in the country. We'll have the best D-line (we return 7 of 8) plus we have the best corner - Antrele Rolle.

I guess my prediction is that we "sneak" (if that's possible with a juggernaut like Miami) into the Orange Bowl, but I don't see Berlin winning us another title. I hope I'm wrong on that front.

And we did win the 2003 Fiesta (Fiasco) Bowl!
The canes won the Fiesta Bowl?! Maybe on your Xbox.:hammer: The Buckeyes stuck it to em. Nobody gave them a chance and they stepped up. All that fuss about the penalties, that stuff goes both ways. And who had the last shot to score? Canes fans always pipe up about the refs and stuff, but seem to forget Dorsey get whipped around to end the game. At least Winslow's a Brown now, that's gotta feel good!!

Brock Landers

Awards
Jarhead (true to the name I see),

your fellow OSU buddy just confirmed our comments above.
Plus you live in Ohio, that sucks enough, go brush your tooth.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
See, Jarhead is slang for Marine, which I am. And I was also stationed down south in "Flawida" for a time so I know "y'all" ain't got no place to be crackin dental jokes. By the way, don't you pronounce it "toof" down there? But yeah it does kinda suck in Ohio so ya got me there.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Jarhead,
What you Buckeye fans fail to realize is that YOU NEEDED THE PENALTY TO WIN A NATIONAL TITLE!

The game truly was over for 5 or whatever seconds that idiot Porter needed to decided he wanted to throw a flag. (I'm neglecting the discussion of the ref who was 2 feet from the play not throwing anything.) Coker was a quarter-ways across the field before the flag hit the turf. Jarrett Payton was already wearing a championship hat and getting ready for a TV interview!

So you can believe all you want that we "talk penalties", but the fact is that OSU* needed the penalty to win a title. ****, I'd be proud of that.

Now, come talk to me when OSU* can win more than one title every 36-odd years.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
What you canes fans don't understand is that penalties are part of the game and subjective. When I watch it, I see a good call, when you watch it you don't. There were plenty of bad calls against OSU, it goes both ways. Any coach, player will tell you the refs don't win or lose games for you. Did the refs stop miami on they're last drive? Did the refs score the Bucks points? Was that the only play of the game? Miami had at least 60 minutes to prove that they were the better team and DIDN'T. Period. You are right that we don't get many titles in Ohio. But at least we can take losing like men and give props where they're due. ****, we don't talk about winning that game as much as I hear canes fans whining about losing it, and we haven't had any major title in ohio IN MY LIFETIME. The canes lost a game to a team that wasn't even supposed to make it close, **** I'D be proud of that. Come talk to ME when canes fans can be men enough to lose a game and not cry about it for the next to years. Oh and one more thing- SCOREBOARD.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Being an avid Jim Rome listener, I've grown sick of this argument for every time Skip Balis has filled in for Rome during the past 2 years. *thwackthwack* dead horse *thwack thwack*

Jarhead, 1990 Reds

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I know, you're right Binge. But it's football season! The blood starts to boil! BTW- Romies next tour stop-I'm sure you've heard-CLEVELAND!!!
Oh yeah, the Reds. I'm up by Cleveland though, so they're like the Bengals to me.UM Besides that was before my time, I'm only 8 years old.:think:

Brock Landers

Awards
jarhead,

I know many OSU fans and not one has been adamant in the fact that they earned that win. You could keep going on with this senseless dribble, but rather than read it, Id prefer to wipe my ass with it.

I have two words for you...SWEATER VEST. Tressel is such a fag.

On another note, it looks like monday night is going to be postponed to the 12th. Fucking Frances!!!!!!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
jarhead,

I know many OSU fans and not one has been adamant in the fact that they earned that win. You could keep going on with this senseless dribble, but rather than read it, Id prefer to wipe my ass with it.

I have two words for you...SWEATER VEST. Tressel is such a fag.

On another note, it looks like monday night is going to be postponed to the 12th. Fucking Frances!!!!!!
Hmmm....an ass reference, a fashion critique, and gaydar all in one post?!What are you trying to tell us Brock?:think: Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Look, I didn't bring this **** up, but as "an adamant OSU" fan of course I'm gonna pipe in. Besides you canes fans at least can take pleasure in the fact that now me and alot of bucks fans are gonna have to cheer for Winslow. And Butch. And Little and....

P.S. Sweater vests are cool. Don't be a hater.:rofl:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the Big Ten love Drone! When a wolverine sticks up for the bucks, you know that's an unbiased opinion! The Big 10 gets no respect, which is sad considering it's home to the biggest rivalry in all of sports. How do you see the conference playing out this year? I'm a little worried about OSU. I think the D will be there, but the whole qb thing reminds me of another Jackson/Germaine scenario. They named zwick the starter but troy smith is right there if not better. Beyond that, I don't see anyone other than Mich or Osu winning the conf.

size

Awards
  • Established
Thank you Utah with an easy cover. :D
If I keep going at this rate, it is going to be a nice year.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Yeah ! Cal covered me real well, didn't have to sweat the 56-14 ass whupping.

BTW, Notre Dame looks like ****.

P.S. LSU needs to get their **** together before the Dawgs pound the hell out of them

size

Awards
  • Established
Yeah ! Cal covered me real well, didn't have to sweat the 56-14 ass whupping.
NO!!! Cal cost me. :( I thought air force would cover, I was dead wrong.
However, I won on Wyoming, Rutgers, and Wake Forest. :thumbsup:

LSU looked horrible. They got lucky, but I thought Oregon State got lucky too. LSU dropped 4 interceptions in the first half.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Bama looked pretty good tonight.. just got home from Tuscaloosa.. for a bunch of true freshmen and sophmores led by a junior that was injured last year.. I thought they did great..

size

Awards
  • Established
Boise State piled it on big today also(65-7). I liked that game but giving 31.5 points is alot for a for an opening game. However, when Boise is at home on the blue turf they tend to cover the spread no matter how big it is. I am now kicking myself.

MattD........Bama looked good but played Utah State, crap team. Should be fun to see them take on OleMiss next week.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Ole Miss got the **** kicked out of them this week... so we will see.. I did say I thought it was a good FIRST game.. 48-17 was not bad in my book.. didn't see as many mental breakdowns as I have seen in the past.. and it is a building thing for us.. **** we don't have anything but true freshmen at most of the major positions on defense...

DUFF

Awards
If anybody here judges LSU on tonights game i feel sorry for ya.That was garbage,rain **** game.It helped osu extremely,plus we dropped all the ints.A normal field and that game is a massacre,we all know that.But with that said randall wont make it at qb,he is done,its all jamarcus russel now and i guarantee you he wont lose but 1 game maybe,2 if the defense falls apart.He will light it up guys,get ready.LSU by 17 over dawgs...

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
lol osu's kicker must be on suicide watch as we speak. I thought if he had any type of sharp object near him within 10 minutes of that ot missed extra point he would have definatley killed himself.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
on one of espn's InGame highlight showing the LSU-Beavers game, Trev Albert was caught yelling, "what is he mad about?" in the studio when they showed the OSU kicker throwing a fit after his miss.... That made me laugh out loud. Damn right. Albert is a solid commentator.
Sage

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
Too late to get in on this sweet action?

I think it's Georgia's year. Danny Ware looks like he's going to be just as good as Lumpkin. It's going to be scary if Lumpkin can rehab that knee and come back next year and join Ware in the backfield. UGA's got a really nice D. And Greene, of course.

I guess my Vols are going to have to take one on the chin for this to happen, but it ain't even started, baby. Gotta love the guts to start a freshman at QB.

DUFF

Awards
Tregv hates LSU badly.I dont know why.He is a usc/nebraska homer.As for uga,lol,you mean the team that gave up 28 points to a division 2 team that went 7-4 last year and cant throw the ball?That georgia? LSU's new qb is so damn good its gonna be scary. LSU 35 uga 14

size

Awards
  • Established
LSU's new qb is so damn good its gonna be scary. LSU 35 uga 14
I wish you were a capper, lol.

UGA is solid. If you can't admit that then you are being blinded by Tiger loyalty. I like LSU but they looked horrible and blaimng it on conditions is not a good excuse. OSU played in the same conditions. LSU also, just as last year, needs to get place kicking resolved.