Bent Over DB Rows friendly competition / bragging rights thread.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Did my back workout last night. I had to do a 1-arm bent over tbar row to simulate the DB row. I have to say... it is much easier for me to use DBs then it is to perform the bent over 1 arm tbar row. The opposite side of the tbar kept getting in the way and smashing into my opposite leg. I feel I could go MUCH heavier with DBs. Nevertheless, I did 180 x 18. This was after all my pulldowns and deadlifts. :)

BEAST

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
man you are setting the bar high!!!! great lift!

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
You counting 45lbs for the bar or just the plates? When I do normal Tbar row I just count the weights not the bar

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I include the bar, I'd have to weigh it to be sure but it's my best guess at its weight from comparing its "empty" feel with various freeweight dbs. I can easily rep out over a 200 lb DB but my gym only goes up to 155 lb DBs and my first entry for the contest was 22 reps with it. My gym owner will freak if i come in and start ductaping DBs together, so a tbar is my only real option for this contest. :)

BEAST

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did my back workout last night. I had to do a 1-arm bent over tbar row to simulate the DB row. I have to say... it is much easier for me to use DBs then it is to perform the bent over 1 arm tbar row. The opposite side of the tbar kept getting in the way and smashing into my opposite leg. I feel I could go MUCH heavier with DBs. Nevertheless, I did 180 x 18. This was after all my pulldowns and deadlifts. :)

BEAST
VIDEO!!! :party:

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
ok guys I got a 140lb DB 5 times per arm... not as heavy as I wanted, BUT not bad for being under the weather.
Anyone else having problems with these bigger DBs hitting themselves in the leg, arm, etc??? The things are just so bulky that the control needed is just unreal!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok guys I got a 140lb DB 5 times per arm... not as heavy as I wanted, BUT not bad for being under the weather.
Anyone else having problems with these bigger DBs hitting themselves in the leg, arm, etc??? The things are just so bulky that the control needed is just unreal!!
That's why I support my body on the rack. It's a much more fluid angle and the lats contract better while the body is in this position.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
That's why I support my body on the rack. It's a much more fluid angle and the lats contract better while the body is in this position.
yeah I usually do them that way myself, but wanted to do them on the bench for more of the flat angle. I may go back to the arm on the rack thing though... I am tall so that is more of an incline angle, but it may keep the rest of my body from getting in the way...

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I do not have access to a 200lb. DB, but I will make an attempt to rig up a 200+ lb. DB using a family member's DBs and video me rowing it. If anyone else is interested in this and has some idea or means to make this happen let me know.

BEAST

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Do these count? if so i did 205 x 8
3 plates + 1/4

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
My first entry 120s x 8 damn grip. That's as high DB my gym has. I would have got more if I had a stronger grip. Looking to improve that number. I weigh 190 right now.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My first entry 120s x 8 damn grip. That's as high DB my gym has. I would have got more if I had a stronger grip. Looking to improve that number. I weigh 190 right now.
Thats y I only use chalk when I deadlift. If I can hold that much weight I can grip most other lifts.

That being said the fitness center I go to went out and got some THICK handled DBs. Will def effect my reps.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Do these count? if so i did 205 x 8
3 plates + 1/4

Try these on a tbar row that has a platform. This forces you to hold the weight in the same "plane" as a DB where the version with a regular bar changes the range and plane of motion. In the past I have been able to tbar row more weight with a regular bar than with a tbar row machine with a platform. Try them both and compare, but I believe the regular bar makes the exercise easier and you can use more weight than with a DB or with a tbar row machine.

This is a tbar row machine with a platform:

http://www.samsonequipment.com/images/117.jpg

BEAST

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The FC where I go just got a 2nd t bar row machine instead of getting a squat rack. Oh and they put it where I do t-bar rows. I hate them with a passion.

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
In....I'll see what i can pull off next week. Come on Natadrol strength gains!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
i'm on vacation now but there is a golds 5mins from my parents house, i'm going to try to best my 120x10 this week by shooting for 130x10.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I messed arond with the fat gripped 150s and got 10. Just had some chalk on and honestly it was just too much for my grip. The handles r just way too thick for rows.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
The FC where I go just got a 2nd t bar row machine instead of getting a squat rack. Oh and they put it where I do t-bar rows. I hate them with a passion.
that sucks bro, we only have one machine and 2 squat racks....

im hittin some back tonight so i can hit the db rows.. ill see what i can pull off

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I messed arond with the fat gripped 150s and got 10. Just had some chalk on and honestly it was just too much for my grip. The handles r just way too thick for rows.
Fat grips will slow yo roll for sure. 150 with a fat grip is still pretty damn good.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"TEST"ING THE WATERS

Yesterday after some heavy ass pulldowns with various grip changes, I decided to hit up this challenge again. Inching forward. Added 20 lbs. from last time.

1 Arm DB Rows----180 X 11 reps.

And this still wasn't an all-out effort. I know I had some more reps in me. Still holding back the power until just the right moment.
In fact, I've never totally pushed it on this exercise. I've always considered it as accessory work to my other compound rowing exercises.

That 200 pounder doesn't look so intimidating now. It's next!!! :twisted:

I'll be doing rows like these suckahs pretty soon!!

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
man that is a great row!!! Great job TG!!! You will be dancing on top of the 200 in days my friend!!!

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
got 100's for 9. Woot getting there

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I'll play...

Today, not knowing about this friendly little comp. I did the following just as part of my normal workout:
3 sets of 140x10reps.

I did use straps, and a flat bench for support. This was after pull-downs, and heavy cable rows.

My gym only goes up to 140's...maybe have to look around for a visitor pass to somewhere with real iron ;-)

Weighed in at 194 this morning...about 2 pounds heavier than normal. Due to first real football weekend ;-) PIZZA!!!!!!!!!

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
Busting out the 150's today fellas. Gonna see if I can get 5 or so with it. After that I am at a loss, because I don't know where to find bigger dumbells. lol. I've already spent 30 bucks on this competition just in day rates to go to the gym with the big dumbbells. It's worth it though, feeds the ego. :twisted:

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I am late :(

BW 175

DB Row: 100x8 yesterday, then 100x8 again after 60 seconds. Will dig through my book to find my starting weight from last month. I refuse to do more than 8 reps though as that's my routine :) And Kleen said so in the rules.

Going to do 110 next week. Have a feeling I wont make 8 but we'll see

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Ill make 8 if you make 8
WELL I CANT BACK DOWN FROM A CHALLENGE!!!! :sgrin:

On a side note, after seeing that everyone here is on Super DMZ and loving it, I am making a 2 bottle get 1 free purchase tomorrow. And if it works for me like everyone else I'll be buying the 6 bottle deal for 150, which is nuts.

Anyone else notice when you google "super DMZ" Ed's log is the number 1 hit lol

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
WELL I CANT BACK DOWN FROM A CHALLENGE!!!! :sgrin:

On a side note, after seeing that everyone here is on Super DMZ and loving it, I am making a 2 bottle get 1 free purchase tomorrow. And if it works for me like everyone else I'll be buying the 6 bottle deal for 150, which is nuts.

Anyone else notice when you google "super DMZ" Ed's log is the number 1 hit lol
What in the world are you going to do with 6 bottles of Super DMZ?

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
What in the world are you going to do with 6 bottles of Super DMZ?
Get f****ing huge. What else would he do with it? :lol:

But seriously... unless it's gonna be banned... that ish is gonna expire way before you run through 6 cycles of it... Unless your gonna sell it or go in on it with some friends (which I just might do).

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
Oh btw, 150x3 today (well 3 real reps, 2 forced/ body english reps as well)

Gonna go back to the 130s and work my way up again in the reps. Seems like I grow better that way. The 150s were the first ones that my grip seemed to seriously lack with... and the DB is starting to get awkward at that size. I don't know how you monsters bench press with those things.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Today I hit my 1 arm DB rows again. This time I attempted some improvisation by ductaping 2 25 pound plates to each end of a 100 lb. DB to get a 200 lb. DB. It was very awkward to grasp with all the ductape near the handle, and adding the width of 4 25 lb. plates made it a bit difficult to maneuver, but heres to everyone who wanted some video:

200 lbs. x 14

YouTube - AM wilderbeast bent over 1-arm DB row 200 lb. x 14

BEAST

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
Nice lift bro... that is a lot of weight!

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got 150's 6 reps with straps at 170lbs, Now I'm 185lbs, I will see how much I can do with out straps next week.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
150s with fat grip for 10. Bodyweight of 278.
Oh btw, 150x3 today (well 3 real reps, 2 forced/ body english reps as well)

Gonna go back to the 130s and work my way up again in the reps. Seems like I grow better that way. The 150s were the first ones that my grip seemed to seriously lack with... and the DB is starting to get awkward at that size. I don't know how you monsters bench press with those things.
Today I hit my 1 arm DB rows again. This time I attempted some improvisation by ductaping 2 25 pound plates to each end of a 100 lb. DB to get a 200 lb. DB. It was very awkward to grasp with all the ductape near the handle, and adding the width of 4 25 lb. plates made it a bit difficult to maneuver, but heres to everyone who wanted some video:

200 lbs. x 14

BEAST
I got 150's 6 reps with straps at 170lbs, Now I'm 185lbs, I will see how much I can do with out straps next week.
I think a new 150lb and above club is in order here!!! Holy Iron that is a lot of weight you guys are throwing around!!!!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

200 lbs. x 14

BEAST
LOL, nice!

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
My body weight is 240.

I did 160x10
160x8
160x6
Time to get some new dumbbells in the gym!!!!

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established

200 lbs. x 14

BEAST
Nice. Video proof is hard to argue with.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established

200 lbs. x 14

BEAST
LOL

fugging classic they must think you are out of your mind but then again probably not a good idea to argue with you about it,

LOVE IT mad reps

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Video proof is hard to argue with.
I wish I had video of my brother and I ductaping the plates together and then taping the plates to the DB because that would be much more entertaining than just seeing the lift. :)

BEAST

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wish I had video of my brother and I ductaping the plates together and then taping the plates to the DB because that would be much more entertaining than just seeing the lift. :)

BEAST
I think the looks yall got would have been pretty entertaining too lol.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

BEAST
video or negged!!

j/k, that does sound like that would be funny. I was asking myself, "how the hell?..." when I watched that video.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
110x8 for 2 sets. Had to ghetto rig some straps though. thinking about picking up some versa grippes