Bent Over DB Rows friendly competition / bragging rights thread.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look in the second post if you are participating and not in the list Rep/PM me and let me know and I will add you in. The thread is blowing up already. ;)

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
That's a better excuse than me, I just don't need anything heavier than 100lbs.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
I'm down to use some wraps... and I'll start with this exercise... I am curious as to what I can pull today. Off to First Class Fitness... I gotta go pay a one time use fee for this little competition, but it's gonna be worth it to try and pull those 130s or 140s!

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My first attempt with obvious form issues netted 95x8. Once I learn how to do these without causing pain in my low back I see this number going up, my back is one of my stronger areas! Though with Thunder in here, we are still putting up mortal numbers in comparison. Great comp, will be checking in on the insanity!

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Sweet, new competition :D

I'm in. Will have my numbers in a few days :)

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
1 arm HS row 170x15

Current weight 268.7

Only got 12 with the left do we take the avg?

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
170 x 15 stands as far as I'm concerned

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
130x8 last night

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ah crap, talk about stupid. The Y is doing renovations on the free weights and cardio area. They've tried to compress all the machines and free weights into a room less than half the size of the room that they were in before. T bar is gone, all cables are gone, etc... And the floor? The room is made for a Yoga class or something :(

Anyway, I was able to grab 100x6 (new PR for me). I think I can get 8 or 10 soon enough, especially with the help of straps. I also can't drop the weight even a few inches, blah.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
makes me love my gym... I can use chalk and drop weights to my hearts content.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
120x10 @ 198lbs as of this morning. This was raw...no chalk, no straps.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
Nice. How did that feel?
'Effin heavy. I felt like a beast though, got some pretty interesting looks when I picked those suckers up. Gym owner tried to tell me that I was gonna hurt myself before I even started my set. I got 110x14 after the 130x8. I just smiled at him after the set.

Oh btw, no wraps, I forgot them. Just chalk.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would do this but right now DB rows r just not in my workout right now. Plus the FC only goes up to 150s and the new DBs have FAT GRIPZ. Dont mind them for pressing but pulling would be a chore.

jesseb1128

jesseb1128

Awards
I got 140 x 8 4 sets. I use straps. My carpal tunnel is bad. I hope my numbers improve. The Bally I go to only goes to 150s.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would do this but right now DB rows r just not in my workout right now. Plus the FC only goes up to 150s and the new DBs have FAT GRIPZ. Dont mind them for pressing but pulling would be a chore.
All the new DB's are made with FAT GRIPZ? That actually sucks in my opinion. Fat Gripz have their place on some exercises, but I wouldn't want to use them for EVERY exercise.
I'd ask the owner who gave him that bright idea. :grumpy:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
'Effin heavy. I felt like a beast though, got some pretty interesting looks when I picked those suckers up. Gym owner tried to tell me that I was gonna hurt myself before I even started my set. I got 110x14 after the 130x8. I just smiled at him after the set.

Oh btw, no wraps, I forgot them. Just chalk.
Way to go G!! Hardcore ish right there. :head:

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

All the new DB's are made with FAT GRIPZ? That actually sucks in my opinion. Fat Gripz have their place on some exercises, but I wouldn't want to use them for EVERY exercise.
I'd ask the owner who gave him that bright idea. :grumpy:
Lol well they arent quite Fat Gripz but damn they r def thicker than the old DBs they have. It is very noticable.

Its a AF base fitness center... the people who order the equipment NEVER workout.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Wonder i walk into Planet Fitness tomorrow, and start taping some 70's together what will happen

Just take my duct tape and go to work, almost got tossed today for leaving my bag near the bench apparently it was in risk of injuring people... I had some stern words to say on the issue but didnt loose my temper but tomorrows another day :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol well they arent quite Fat Gripz but damn they r def thicker than the old DBs they have. It is very noticable.

Its a AF base fitness center... the people who order the equipment NEVER workout.
Are they the Iron Grip DBs? I've noticed that starting at 80 lbs, the handles get thicker now to reduce breaking.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are they the Iron Grip DBs? I've noticed that starting at 80 lbs, the handles get thicker now to reduce breaking.
I think the old ones r Iron Grip DBs but the new ones(105-150) are Ivanko.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well I am happy to say I went ahead an pushed myself did these for back thickness instead of dead lifts. Final Set 140x6 both sides however my right side I had to pause for a second or two on the last to reps to get both of them equal. I am gonna go ahead and call 5-6 with 150 next week. I will start heavier and not do that attempt on my 5th work set. Mine was wrapped by the way.

Some nice numbers being thrown up in here. As much as I would love to say the HS Row should count I agree it is substantially easier to do than the same weight on something free weight related. However it can stand for your marker on the lift you are going to use just to push yourself to increase it if no other option is open.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
dayumm i was gonna do the one armed db rows but i forgot and did tbar, bb row and dls today.... next week im in on this shhiiitt

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
After seeing the "heaviest" DB's at the gym were 105's I'm not sure if I even want to do this now. Sort of bummed. I may need to ask the owner if he can break out the old big dogs for this little contest. 105's will end up being repped for ever. We'll see....

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Gym only has 110s i got 110x22 RH and 110x20 LH then i felt light headed and had to take a dump outta nowhere might b a while before i try that again

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do HS rows count?
I wouldn't think so as those are much easier and the grip is different.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
As much as I would love to say the HS Row should count I agree it is substantially easier to do than the same weight on something free weight related. However it can stand for your marker on the lift you are going to use just to push yourself to increase it if no other option is open.
Yesterday just to prove a point, I decided to do 1 Arm Lower Pulley Rows with a single "D" handle in a bentover rowing fashion.
I got 210 X 14 reps like that using 1 arm.
I highly doubt that I could have matched that with a free-weight DB.
All machines are NOT created equal. HammerStrength, Cybex, Icarian, they're all different and have a different feel to them. And some are harder than others forcing one to use less weight on them.
Free-weights are the only true measure of determining strength levels across the board in a fair manner.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After seeing the "heaviest" DB's at the gym were 105's I'm not sure if I even want to do this now. Sort of bummed. I may need to ask the owner if he can break out the old big dogs for this little contest. 105's will end up being repped for ever. We'll see....
I think the only fair alternative exercise to be allowed in this contest would be a 1 arm T-Bar Row. It's as close to DB rows as you can get.

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
Gym only has 110s i got 110x22 RH and 110x20 LH then i felt light headed and had to take a dump outta nowhere might b a while before i try that again
HAHAHA!
This is what I'm talking about! Those high rep movements give weird side effects. I don't need that surprise dump sneaking up on me either!:dump:

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
I think the only fair alternative exercise to be allowed in this contest would be a 1 arm T-Bar Row. It's as close to DB rows as you can get.
You had already beat me to the punch, or row, by using the seated cable row to add weight. The pulley machine we have has a fairly substantial weight stack with it so I was going to try that myself.
But I agree that there is little that is comparable to the one arm row. The One arm T bar could be the substitute we are looking for.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You had already beat me to the punch, or row, by using the seated cable row to add weight. The pulley machine we have has a fairly substantial weight stack with it so I was going to try that myself.
But I agree that there is little that is comparable to the one arm row. The One arm T bar could be the substitute we are looking for.
I didn't do a 1 arm seated cable row. I used that station but I was standing up and bentover like a 1 arm DB row. It felt the same but was easier to use more weight than a free-weight DB.
The 1 Arm T-Bar Row should be the only allowed alternative on this contest.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I went the heaviest Ive gone. 80 for 10 on each side. I get nervous raising weight. I had an injury that made me have to stop lifting soo. Im very cautious. Next week Im goignt to try 100's. i know these arent crazy like some of you other dudes, but ....Im happy with them so had to post!

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I went the heaviest Ive gone. 80 for 10 on each side. I get nervous raising weight. I had an injury that made me have to stop lifting soo. Im very cautious. Next week Im goignt to try 100's. i know these arent crazy like some of you other dudes, but ....Im happy with them so had to post!
Good for you JoHNny. This contest is really all about us motivating each other to push harder and to make further improvements and increases in our lifting.
I'm proud of everyone in here pushing themselves harder than ever.
Everyone is a winner here!!!:fest30::party:

On another note.........that new avatar of yours is downright SCARY!!!!:

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well if you look around on Kleens last contest. I lost the bet sooo. That goes without saying. Say hi to my new Avi. But the regular size pics are up. And ALL i gotta say is. SOUTHERN MADE ME DO IT!!!!LOL

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We southern boys have no shame to our game!!!

YEE-HAW!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We southern boys have no shame to our game!!!

YEE-HAW!!!

You know what Thunder some of US have it even better than your typical Red Necks. That would be those of us raised in Appalachia! I believe some call us Hill Billies but most know we are not to be taken lightly! From the top of the mountain to the deepest ravine Hill Billies are the baddest mofo's you have ever seen.

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
So I did use the 105's today and came up with 20 reps per side with no straps. It was at the end of the back work so I was already warm. My grip began to fail around 15 or so but strapped there could have been many more.
So I may try an alternative movement. The seated row machine has a stack that goes to 305 so I may rip off some one handers on that and see how that works. To be continued....

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holy ****, I am way to much of a suited up city boy to mix in with this crowd here.

*Covers*

Just playin kids :D
Well atleast u r not half Chinese and want a country girl :rofl: I dont see that ever working out.

Onto the thread topic. It looks like I will be using the 150 for some 1 arm rows tomorrow :deal:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You know what Thunder some of US have it even better than your typical Red Necks. That would be those of us raised in Appalachia! I believe some call us Hill Billies but most know we are not to be taken lightly! From the top of the mountain to the deepest ravine Hill Billies are the baddest mofo's you have ever seen.
I live within a 15 minute drive to the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. :smokin::439:

I've never minded being called a HillBilly. It's my heritage.

My name is Jeff. But lots of people call me Jethro.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I did use the 105's today and came up with 20 reps per side with no straps. It was at the end of the back work so I was already warm. My grip began to fail around 15 or so but strapped there could have been many more.
So I may try an alternative movement. The seated row machine has a stack that goes to 305 so I may rip off some one handers on that and see how that works. To be continued....
Use a single "D" handle and do them standing and bentover to mimic a 1 Arm DB Row. That's what I did and it felt fantastico!!!:sombrero:

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
man the Gold's down the road has DBs up to 200... I need to get over there and see what this old body can do!!! Tomorrow is back... muahahahahahaha

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Rules for alternative lifts.

Just to be fair, I think everyone should have access to a t-bar, or if not you have access to a barbell and a corner. So the only 2 acceptable options for those who do not have enough weight via DB will be 1 arm T-Bar rows, or 1 arms barbell rows with end placed in a corner. You will need to do these supported with your hand on your knee or whatever to limit body English. This will be the closest things you can do to the real free weight of a dumbbell. That and if anyone is wondering who the top dog is and someone hit a hellacious DB and the other hit a hellacious 1 arm row the issue can be resolved by the DB guy trying to out perform the other on a 1 arm BB/T Bar row. :bigok: :bigok: :bigok:

Also from now on when listing your efforts please use an Exclamation or some other post Icon so I can go back through and easily find the entries in between the chatter to update to put into the second post.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
i got 90x11, which doesn't not need to be updated.

When i hit the gym tomorrow, i'm going to try my best at the 100.