Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can see it in the mirror, at the distal head where muscle meets tendon there is a dimple that twitches as I extend in a supine position. It can't be too bad though, not really much pain.
Yeah you have a baby tear likely - my second tear was right there too, and basically it didn’t cost me anything. Just like you said, just a lil bit of pain, light bruise, then no biggie. Just be smart and let it heal; pump stuff way shy of failure for a few weeks would be smart. My first tear at the top of the bicep was definitely worse; I had to back off of that one for months to let it heal safely.

Monday 5th November Bench Power
Overall feeling pretty good today, ate heaps of food yesterday. I am going to start tracking food again now and in a couple weeks wind back into a slight deficit til xmas. I am going to enter a novice PL comp in february, for which I would like to compete in u103kg division, so sub 103kg is my BW goal now.
Bench today, using a belt (feel so much better afterwards when I use the belt) worked up to:
135kgx3, 135kgx3 - the best looking triple I have performed with this weight so far - 135kgx3 - another nice set! Form is dialling in - 135kgx3, 130kgx2 - spent too long setting up
Seated cable row 50 for 3x15
Isolat pulldown (could feel the left bicep at the bottom) 125kg for 3x10
Strict OHP 55kg 3x5
All power meets are novice - there is no pro powerlifting because it’s not organized enough with 100 bloody federations lol

Should be exciting!

Was hoping for a video of the bench....

Nice work though bro. I almost used a belt today for mine (which I’m struggling with a bit), what do you feel it adds?
Core stability for better leg drive, plus it keeps my belly from popping out mid rep

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Was hoping for a video of the bench....

Nice work though bro. I almost used a belt today for mine (which I’m struggling with a bit), what do you feel it adds?
I wear the belt really high and when I fit it I squeeze my lats and push my chest out so it kind of locks the thoracic joint in place, making it easier for me to squeeze shoulder blades back and down (this is harder than it should be for me because I am a bit of a hunchback). Filling the diaphragm against the belt lifts the thorax which assists with core stability and i think ties bum to bench a bit better during leg drive.
Here's the vid for my third set, which is one of the best triples I have performed with this weight:
https://youtu.be/goS_Zty5iXI

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tues 6th November, Accidental Squat Session
I thought it was Wednesday for the first 2hrs of today, and launched balls deep into skwaats a day early. Also, only rack I could get onto was in the bro section, so I found myself squatting in front of the mirror which, as it turns out, is ****ing terrifying. Anyway, ate a teaspoon of concrete and worked up to:
180kg, 185kg for 2x3, then backed off for 3x3 with 160kg. My right groin is tight af, and my right knee is swelling up which I think is csusing me to shift to the left. Think I might start using wraps for my next progression cycle as I have found these take a lot of pressure away from the knees.
https://youtu.be/quXAQXvaknA

Yesterday's food:
178p 310c 137f for 3270cal

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dat ass tho

Get some heat on that knee! Maybe a warm cream or a hot shower and let the stream heat it for a bit. Hope it feels better; nice squattin’

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tues 6th November, Accidental Squat Session
I thought it was Wednesday for the first 2hrs of today, and launched balls deep into skwaats a day early. Also, only rack I could get onto was in the bro section, so I found myself squatting in front of the mirror which, as it turns out, is ****ing terrifying. Anyway, ate a teaspoon of concrete and worked up to:
180kg, 185kg for 2x3, then backed off for 3x3 with 160kg. My right groin is tight af, and my right knee is swelling up which I think is csusing me to shift to the left. Think I might start using wraps for my next progression cycle as I have found these take a lot of pressure away from the knees.
https://youtu.be/quXAQXvaknA

Yesterday's food:
178p 310c 137f for 3270cal
Lol, nice booty shot mate. Made my evening haha

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 9th November Chesty bro
Feeling pretty crappy after 3 hot days at work with gastro or maybe mild heatsroke - I'm not sure.
35kgdb 75kgbb benchpress: 8,5; 10,5; 8,5; 8,5; 8,5
Cable rows '50' 5x12
Strict OHP 50kg 2x6, 1x8
Isolat pulldown 80kg 3x8 '1.5s'
Rope tricep pushdown dropsets x3
Bar tri pushdown dropsets x3

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 12th November
Feeling swollen and achy after spending friday night and saturday in hospital with my son waiting for his op. In stressful situations where I have no control I impulsively eat, and after hrs in a hospital this is mainly vending machine food. Good news is, his tongue is all stitched up and he is talking and eating again.
Today I am fasting til lunch to regain control of my eating.

Deloaded my bench today with 90kg for 5x3, then did some light rows, light ohp, light pulldowns, and a ton of mobility work. My right hip and knee are a little banged up atm.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 12th November
Feeling swollen and achy after spending friday night and saturday in hospital with my son waiting for his op. In stressful situations where I have no control I impulsively eat, and after hrs in a hospital this is mainly vending machine food. Good news is, his tongue is all stitched up and he is talking and eating again.
Today I am fasting til lunch to regain control of my eating.

Deloaded my bench today with 90kg for 5x3, then did some light rows, light ohp, light pulldowns, and a ton of mobility work. My right hip and knee are a little banged up atm.
Good to hear he’s doing well mate

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tuesday 13th November : rest day

No training today, really struggling with hip/back pain.

Yesterday's food:

157p 315c 69f for 2402cal

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you can get 10 min roll/mash everything that pulls on them. IT Bands, quads, ham inserts, piriformis, hip flexors, upper groin, bottoms of your feet, even lats. Mash/roll all of those areas and then lightly stretch the hips after and it can make a big difference on back/hip pain with all of that stuff not tugging on your problem areas like when tight.

You probably know all that but it’s so easy to dismiss and skate by without, but at some points it is really worth it.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you can get 10 min roll/mash everything that pulls on them. IT Bands, quads, ham inserts, piriformis, hip flexors, upper groin, bottoms of your feet, even lats. Mash/roll all of those areas and then lightly stretch the hips after and it can make a big difference on back/hip pain with all of that stuff not tugging on your problem areas like when tight.

You probably know all that but it’s so easy to dismiss and skate by without, but at some points it is really worth it.
I've been rolling every night but I think I have tweaked something in my groin - I'm thinking I have reinjured my psoas. Actually feels ok today, however I took one more day off to catch some zzz's this morning. I will deload my squat tomorrow, hopefully with no issues at full rom.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Food yesterday:

194p 228c 123f for 2732cal. I am fasting every day between 6pm snd 10am now, trying to eat 3250cal but struggling to feel hungry enough. Going to start proper cut next week, will also get bloods done as I have a bit over 1months worth of s4 in my cupboard.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If deloading anyway consider a parallel or high boxsquat to give the ROM a break perhaps even

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If deloading anyway consider a parallel or high boxsquat to give the ROM a break perhaps even
Think i will follow your advice and throw on knee wraps tomorrow for some parallel squats!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thurs 15th November Skwaats deload
Put the wraps on today, 5 turns - not as tight as for heavy squats. Worked up to:
140kg 6x3. Knee and hip felt a lot better in wraps.
Leg ext '80' for 20,20,15
BW pullups for 4x5, 1x8
Seated rows '60' 3x10

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Food wed 14th November:
193p 302c 132f for 3168cal.

This morning weighed in at 104.5kg

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 16th November back & bis

Well, I lost 3kg in a week and now I look like an old man. Too much too fast, and it is unusual for me, but I think it comes down to a combination of factors including the stress of last weekend, ran out of laxo, and the IGF inhibition from nolva. Oh well, gotta roll with the punches, niggt as well get balls deep into this cut.

Kind of a light session today:
Wide grip bw pullup 5x5
Chinup for 8,8,6,6
20kg preacher curls for 3x10 - left bicep really weak and this was an rpe9
Ezibar curls 3x12 with 22.5kg
Cable concentration curls in the fly machine 10kg each arm for 10,9,8
HS unilateral plate rows 3x6 each side
Deadlift deloadz 180kgx3, 3x1
Cable row 60 for 3x6

Food yesterday: 137p 369c 119f for 3189cal. Still gassing out a lot this morning despite eating close to maintenance.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Friday 16th November back & bis

Well, I lost 3kg in a week and now I look like an old man. Too much too fast, and it is unusual for me, but I think it comes down to a combination of factors including the stress of last weekend, ran out of laxo, and the IGF inhibition from nolva. Oh well, gotta roll with the punches, niggt as well get balls deep into this cut.

Kind of a light session today:
Wide grip bw pullup 5x5
Chinup for 8,8,6,6
20kg preacher curls for 3x10 - left bicep really weak and this was an rpe9
Ezibar curls 3x12 with 22.5kg
Cable concentration curls in the fly machine 10kg each arm for 10,9,8
HS unilateral plate rows 3x6 each side
Deadlift deloadz 180kgx3, 3x1
Cable row 60 for 3x6

Food yesterday: 137p 369c 119f for 3189cal. Still gassing out a lot this morning despite eating close to maintenance.
Sometimes balls deep is the only way to go mate

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 17th November

Feeling trashed today, starting to feel I am making a poor recovery from this cycle. Going to get bloodwork next week and find out what is going on.
35kgdb 60kgbb benchpress supersets 6:5, 8:5, 8:5, 6:5
Cable row dropsets x3sets
Strict OHP 52.5kg 3x5
Cable rope tri dropsets - these were abysmal - 3sets
Cable bar dropsets - not so bad - 3sets.

Heres a vid of my OHP (2nd set). Any form pointers would be welcome:
https://youtu.be/AshrcSpa18A

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Consider using a belt when you overhead press, especially strict press, as when it gets to RPE 9+ you are going to have to “lay back” for the press-out and then use upper abdominal flexion to pull the head through to finish.

When that happens, you’re going to want the belt - you’ll be lifting in thoracic extension.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Trest withdrawals are the worst. Dig deep and keep hammering Benny! Hope blood work comes back within reason. Keep us posted for sure.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sunday 18th November

Didnt sleep to well last night so ended up going to the gym at 3am to roll my hip and do some shoulder stuff:
Isolat pulldown, "0.5's" (just the bottom half of the movement for each rep) with 80kg each side for 3x12
Lateral db raise dropsets using 10kg,7.5kg, 5kg for 6,6,6 x 3sets
20kg plate shrugs 3x20
3 movements on TRX bands from Smashwerx insta for 3 supersets
Cable rows '60' for 3x8

Followed up with some squat mobility work.

Food:
Friday: 191p 274c 153f 3276cal
Saturday: 166p 290c 150f 3217cal

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 19th November bench power
Hip still sore and my lower back is inflamed so benching with a lot less arch and wearing belt lower today. Also, reducing working volume and going to reset my focus towards maintaining rather than gaining while I cut:
120kgx3, 135kgx2, 130kgx3, 130kgx3
Isolat pulldown 100kg 3x8
Strict ohp with a belt 60kg 3x5
T bar rows 90kg 3x8

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 19th November bench power
Hip still sore and my lower back is inflamed so benching with a lot less arch and wearing belt lower today. Also, reducing working volume and going to reset my focus towards maintaining rather than gaining while I cut:
120kgx3, 135kgx2, 130kgx3, 130kgx3
Isolat pulldown 100kg 3x8
Strict ohp with a belt 60kg 3x5
T bar rows 90kg 3x8
Nice mate. Good numbers with soreness and on a cut!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tuesday 20th November: rest day

Was going to squat today, but woke up at 3 with a cuddly toddler in my arms and decided to stay in bed and enjoy these cuddles while they last.

So here is my food log catch up:
Sunday 156p 212c 190f for 3422cal
Monday 191p 297c 140f for 3234cal

Started taking cardarine at 10mg/day and supping with l-carnitine and green tea in the mornings and am finding they do seem to blunt the hunger pangs a little.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good decision. You’ll probably be stronger from the rest and lower stress as a bonus!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wed 21st November skwaats
Worked up to 3x3 with 180kg with knee wraps. These moved well, with pain from my right hip having now diminished into tightness.
Leg press 200kg 3x12 widest stance possible and 160kg 3x16 at hip width. These were enlightening as I observed slight pain/ impingement in r hip associated with right foot arch collapsing. Cueing with "tripod foot" eliminates the impingement, but inflicts a little pain and swelling un my r knee. So the hip issue is caused by inadequate external rotation due to arch collapsing.
Banded standing hip thrusts 3x30
BW wide grip pullups 5x6
Banded bent leg kicks (to target psoas and release groin) 3x15

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thurs 22nd November

Food catchup:
Tues 140p 397c 100f 3082cal
Wed 171p 307c 133f 3077cal

Woke up at 1am today, feeling hungry AF. Work has been pretty intense this week and I suspect I have burned more calories than allowed for. First time feeling like I am actually on a cut.

Did back and bis this morning:
BW pullup 5x6
Bw chinup 5x6
Isolat pulldown 120kg 3x8
Preacher curls 20kg 3x8
Ezibar curl 22.5kg 3x8
Straight bar curls 22.5kg 3x8
Cable rows 60kg 3x10
BW pushup 3x25

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dang - big boy lat pulldowns! Can’t even imagine doing 265lbs - 90kg is a hard set of 8 for me.

Wilko

Awards
  • Established
Thurs 22nd November

Food catchup:
Tues 140p 397c 100f 3082cal
Wed 171p 307c 133f 3077cal

Woke up at 1am today, feeling hungry AF. Work has been pretty intense this week and I suspect I have burned more calories than allowed for. First time feeling like I am actually on a cut.

Did back and bis this morning:
BW pullup 5x6
Bw chinup 5x6
Isolat pulldown 120kg 3x8
Preacher curls 20kg 3x8
Ezibar curl 22.5kg 3x8
Straight bar curls 22.5kg 3x8
Cable rows 60kg 3x10
BW pushup 3x25
Whats the intent of the push ups?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tues 27th November

Haven't trained since last Thurs. Hip was killing me on Thurs night so went to my physio on Friday, who thinks I have torn the right labrum, probably jumping in and out of trenches at work. Yet to get xrays to confirm this, but after a few days of not aggravating it, I can hear clicking from down there somewhere when I raise my right femur.

This really bums me out, and I feel like just sleeping in every day atm, but today I managed to peel myself from the bed to get in here for some heavy bench and shoulder stuff, working up to 3x5 with 120kg.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tues 27th November

Haven't trained since last Thurs. Hip was killing me on Thurs night so went to my physio on Friday, who thinks I have torn the right labrum, probably jumping in and out of trenches at work. Yet to get xrays to confirm this, but after a few days of not aggravating it, I can hear clicking from down there somewhere when I raise my right femur.

This really bums me out, and I feel like just sleeping in every day atm, but today I managed to peel myself from the bed to get in here for some heavy bench and shoulder stuff, working up to 3x5 with 120kg.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that Benny. Work seems to be where I always get jacked up and have to train accordingly around it. Quite annoying. Hope it’s nothing serious and you can get back to smashing it sooner than later brother!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hoping the imaging shows it’s not torn! Keep us posted when you get some.

Just try to focus on the things you can do.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Injury sucks. Best wishes, Benny!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
**** bro, sorry to hear that. Hope it heals up quick for you

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How ya doin Benny?
Hey mate, I've had better weeks!

Hip has been giving me hell over the last few days as I'm working on a civil project this week which has me doing lots of concreting and hand digging.
White fuzz at the acetabulum on my xrays is consistent with an anterior tear, so I am now booked in to see an orthopedic specialist in early January. I am really hoping this issue diminishes before then and I can avoid surgery.
In the meantime I have to try and maintain mobility and have a codeine prescription to manage pain (I cant take NSAIDs due to gastrointestinal reaction). Squatting is painful, and my body wants to shift to the left, but I have been spending lots of gym time just sitting "in the hole" and doing "booty workout" type stuff with bands to prevent my hip from seizing up and right glute from shutting down. If this just a minor tear (and I feel this is likely since I don't even know when it happened) I think I should be able to grind it out once inflammation diminishes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Rest it, training wise, for a few weeks. I know you don’t want to hear that, but take several weeks off real lower body work besides some blood flow.

You will lose some strength and muscle, but if it means come January you don’t need surgery, can drop the codeine, and begin light training again without issue you will be much further this time next year. Crazy further, compared to surgery.

Just a thought.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Been training 5 days/week but just freestyling after mobility work, no real training plan, hence I have not logged anything lately.

Hip is heaps better this week, and this morning I did long deep paused back squats with 60kg which felt great. Hopefully I will be able to load it back up early next yr.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good to hear you’re on the up and up. Keep it safe

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Saturday 8th December Deadlifts!!!
Hip has been feeling better each day and this morning (after a massive midnight sesh with Mary Jane) I found rotational mobility in my right hip and no swelling in the right knee so decided to pull. Worked up to:
140kg 6x5 alternating sumo and conventional with super slow descents - the objective being a strong focus on even lateral hip hinging and maintaining tripod foot on the right side for proper rotational placement of the femur.

Hip is sore, but my posterior chain is loving me right now. Not deadlifting is such a horrible thing to do to oneself.

Followed up with:
10kg wide grip pullup for 5x5
Legs raised parallel grip pullup for 10,8,10
10kg,7.5kg,5kg db lateral raise dropsets for 8,8,10 x3

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tues 18th December bench power
Been a while since last I logged. Still struggling with hip issues, a lot less pain but finding it hard to stay mobile. Last week I squatted when I shouldnt have and really aggravated my right knee with just 60kg. So I'm not squatting for a while, hopeful that, if I just leave it alone for long I will heal.

So I have been free-training, doing lots of upper body work, light deads once a week, mobility stuff and some cardio. BW has bumped up to 107kg and I am hitting PRs for bench like this one:
https://youtu.be/KuZdb5JYYG0

I'm just going to bum around in here for the next few weeks and see what happens.