A.A./N.A. Support Group Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I have a whole new set of friends too. I was told to change everything, and I pretty much did. I still see my neighbor obviously, and he was one of my best drinkin buddies. But he knew I had a problem and on those rare occasions when I go over there (he's a great mechanic and does work on our cars sometimes) He never tries to pressure me into drinking with him. Gotta respect that.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I find that people who truly respect me, try to be conscious of what I'm going through,.. others say what is something wrong with you, you don't drink?,... I just laugh or say yeah, I'm sick in the mind, and most don't know what to say after that!!!

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
tim makes a good point in having to cut yourself off,... I mean I kept thinking I could go around old people, places, and things. I relapsed several times till I changed my phone number and just started all over. Don't get me wrong, the obsession creeps in every now and again, but I pray, call someone, or workout,and other things, because I alone can not beat the obsession. So I try not to let obsession and opportunity meet!!
the one thing i have found that is necessary to my perminant recovery is helping others. being, unselfish. now the funny thing about what we do here is, BB for the most part is selfish. we do this for ourselves, we look in the mirror and vainly admire ourselves. not all of us, but think about it, "man i'm looking huge today, i set a personal best today..YEA!" and all the other things we tell ourselves or the things we're told by others. now, of course i'm not saying this applies to all, and for the most part, building self-esteem is a great thing for addicts, alcoholics or "normies" (whatever the hell that is), but i find myself, at times, being to vain, being selfish again, going to the gym instead of going to a treatment center and passing the message along.....this for me, is something ineed to watch and keep a close eye on. if i go back to being selfish, i'm most likely, done....for good. i speak of myself and others i personally know on this subject. even now as i sit here, having just had my gall bladder removed on Weds., not being able to work out, i think of the next time i will be pushing weight.....my addiction to alcohol and drugs would have put me in the grave already, this i know, and any obsession that i let become more important than helping others will do me in the same. keeping balence is not at all times easy, no matter how long you've been sober. family, work, helping others, self improvment, these things are a task to keep even.......but this WO "addiction" will not kill me like drugs but it might, if i don't watch it, lead my back to what will......selfishness. selfishness, self-centeredness, that we think is the root of our problem........peace, brothers

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I have a whole new set of friends too. I was told to change everything, and I pretty much did. I still see my neighbor obviously, and he was one of my best drinkin buddies. But he knew I had a problem and on those rare occasions when I go over there (he's a great mechanic and does work on our cars sometimes) He never tries to pressure me into drinking with him. Gotta respect that.
those people are awesome to have. the ones who somewhat understand, and don't pressure you to be who you were, that awesome. when i go to bars now, to see a band, and see some who have not seen me in a while, i just say i'm not drinking, thats it. they are cool with it, and i never go into why i don't drink.....drinkers will not stand for that, i just let them know i'm not drinking, drive them home if i need to, try and bring as much fun to a situation as i can, and if they have a problem with what i put, or don't put into my body, then i don't really need to hand with them anyway and will remember that the next time they invite me to go out....

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I hear you lennox, my sponsor said I go to the gym to much, so I switched up to DC training and only go 3xweek, and I make sure to hit a meeting just as much as the gym. I try to balance it out.
As far as vanity goes, I believe the human race came as far as it did because of vanity, but whatever,... I find if I do God's work, such as love and service, he does my work, guiding my life, will, and recovery!

johnb1027

Awards
this is great i just celebrated 3 years clean i was just going through this site to find info on a new product and wound up registering because of this thread its great to see all these people working on their mind body and spirit mad props to all moving in the right direction

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Congrats are in order,.. and welcome. Your gonna love it here, informative, fun,and free!!

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is great i just celebrated 3 years clean i was just going through this site to find info on a new product and wound up registering because of this thread its great to see all these people working on their mind body and spirit mad props to all moving in the right direction
Welcome and enjoy!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
congratulations!:clap2: on 3 yrs. john..and welcome to anabolicminds.com.your going to love it here!..i know i do.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking a great deal about this quote lately, and I want to share it with you guys. Maybe it will motivate one of you that may feel down...

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.
- George Bernard Shaw
I hope you all had a great holiday!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking a great deal about this quote lately, and I want to share it with you guys. Maybe it will motivate one of you that may feel down...

I hope you all had a great holiday!
that is a great quote ironlungz!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
So I go into the bar, and ask for a six pack.
The bartender says, that'll be 5.50 and every good friend you have.
I say, I'll take it.
I go get a case of beer, and the cashier says, that'll be 14.00 and your marriage.
I say, I'll take it.
I go to the liquor store , and ask for a bottle of tequila.
The cashier says, that'll be 20 bucks and your license to practice *******, I say, I'll take it.
Why wouldn't I? Alcohol was more important than anything in my life.
So I thought I would stop drinking, and boy **** didn't get better. I was white knuckled in sobriety. Unable to interact with people without something in my system. Relapsing over and over, because I was going to meetings, but not doing any work.
Today, I am in recovery, not sobriety. I am willing to work the steps(the only thing that works for me). I mean meetings are temporary, fellowship is temporary,.. without action, I am dead.
Slowly, I've built myself up, I go in front of the board next month to see if I can get my license back. Great if I do,.. if not, I'm okay. It's all part of God's plan for me.
Thanks for letting me share!

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
^^nice share.^^

maybe we can setup a sub forum here called alcoholicminds :)

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
was that a joke or are you serious?:think:
I am a fellow recovering alcoholic.
In reading this thread it seems that there are a lot of us on this forum, although i was joking about the name, a subforum dedicated to those in recovery may be useful and help somebody, as it would bring more people together who share common interests, could be a valuble tool. one could recieve support from fellow bodybuilders, which is going to be rare elsewhere.

of course we wouldnt have to call it "alcoholicminds," but you have to admit that it is a good spin off of anabolicminds and it sounds a bit catchy.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I am a fellow recovering alcoholic.
In reading this thread it seems that there are a lot of us on this forum, although i was joking about the name, a subforum dedicated to those in recovery may be useful and help somebody, as it would bring more people together who share common interests, could be a valuble tool. one could recieve support from fellow bodybuilders, which is going to be rare elsewhere.

of course we wouldnt have to call it "alcoholicminds," but you have to admit that it is a good spin off of anabolicminds and it sounds a bit catchy.
have you read the previous post in here!..or have you just started from the last one!:think:

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I latched onto the prayer request thread.

10+ years recovering alcoholic/drug addict here.

Just wanted to jump in and say hi.

If anyone ever needs to talk or has questions please dont hesitate to PM.

Glad to see this thread in here.

Maybe a sub-forum will result in the future.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I latched onto the prayer request thread.

10+ years recovering alcoholic/drug addict here.

Just wanted to jump in and say hi.

If anyone ever needs to talk or has questions please dont hesitate to PM.

Glad to see this thread in here.

Maybe a sub-forum will result in the future.
same here gentleman!:thumbsup:..any of you can p.m me anytime also!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Taking off for a few days... friday through Sunday for a "Round Up". About 300 of us getting together at Jacksons Mill for a long weekend of fellowship, 5 or 6 speakers, and food. Been going to this since I got sober, but had to miss the last 3 of them due to work circumstances. Will be good to go back and see old friends.

This gets put on 3 times a year. In the spring, fall and winter. Anyone interested in going to one drop me a PM with your name and addy and I'll get you added in to the next mailer that goes out.

Cost is $100 for dorm style lodging... Old military bunks and blankets, or you can splurge and spend about $300 and stay in the Jacksons Mill Lodge, but rooms there go very quick. Oh, the food is (or has been) excellent also. Great way to see some real history, there is a working blacksmith shop, a water powered mill, and several very old buildings from the days of Stonewall Jackson. They give tours (during tourist season)

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
your so lucky red!..taking a well deserved vacation i see!..lol..have fun good buddy!:thumbsup:

BeBig

BeBig

Awards
  • Established
Wow you all are a great inspiration for anyone with these problems in here keep up the great support... I read from beginning to end and alot of congrats are in order to you all keep your heads up. :thumbsup:

babyblu

babyblu

Awards
  • Established
Just noticed this thread. Sober 5/23/2001 by the Grace of God, good strong sponsorship, good strong support group, and the spiritual principles (12/12/12) of AA.

BTW, my good friend sells recovery t-shirts, hats, etc. Not boring **** but pretty cool stuff. I will see if I can get some pix up!!

bb

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
congrats man! Welcome to the thread. I wouldn't mind checking out some of thse T-shirts

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just saw the link to this thread. NA member, been clean just over 3 years (12/24).

Here's a link for everyone to start their day off right; updates daily, just in case you don't have your JFT handy.

http://jftna.org/jft/index.php

Congrats to everyone else in recovery-if you need anything I'll help in any way I can!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
thanks buddy!..and congratulations on your 3-years sober!:)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys. The program has been very good to me; I had been in and out of AA/NA for probably 4 years prior to getting clean the last time, and primarily just to get the flamethrower off my ass (trouble with the law). I spent 9 months in jail in 2006 for assaulting a police officer and DUI (3rd!), which was definitely my bottom. I started chairing the jail NA meetings (service), and really got involved in NA after I got out-first time I had gone to meetings that were not court-mandated, and it felt good.

Luckily, I have not had the desire to use in those 3 years, but I still struggle with some of the old behaviors; self-centerdness, isolationism, etc. It is critical for me to work all aspects of the program to stay clean.

I appreciate the support, and congratulations to you guys on your clean/sober time!

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Luckily, I have not had the desire to use in those 3 years, but I still struggle with some of the old behaviors; self-centerdness, isolationism, etc.
me as well. probably for the rest of my life. but you know what? so does everyone else. not only people with a past drug and alcohol are selfish and self-centered etc. some people call them "normies" and after almost 4 years now, i consider myself a "normie". the only differece between me and most of the other people walking around is, when i drink and use, i can't stop. never could. i've never had one of anything that felt good. ever. you want to see some messed up folks? go and sit on any park bench, in any airport for a few hours and watch people, WOW. i feel normal after doing that. the difference between some of "us" and "them" is, some of us are constintly working on getting less selfish and such. where as most of "them" are not. but there are many people who do not have addiction in their past that are "working" on the same things that "we" are. some church people, buddists and others also.

testiesac

testiesac

Awards
  • Established
congrats on the three years that a great accomplishment. its hard work the few first months especially when all your friends drink or use. but then you see who your "true" friends are. lost alot of friends. in my case was a good thing. i got sober 8/15/05. and i get a wierd urge. not really for drinking but smoking cigarettes. i quite those two years ago. and you guys are right, about the selfishness and all those traits, they are hard to overcome. one day at a time.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I too find myself being a selfish prick at times. I'm not as bad as I used to be though. The God of my understanding has helped me, because I asked him to take away these defects of character that I have. They don't magically disappear though. I must do my part and work at it on a daily basis. And some days I fail miserably. So when I do my nightly 10th step and review my day, and find where my failings were, I again ask God to help me with these things. Its not just selfishness, but that is probably my biggest defect. There is lust, pride, ego, and a pandora's box of others. One day at a time I get better. Sobriety is a journey, not a destination.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I too find myself being a selfish prick at times. I'm not as bad as I used to be though. The God of my understanding has helped me, because I asked him to take away these defects of character that I have. They don't magically disappear though. I must do my part and work at it on a daily basis. And some days I fail miserably. So when I do my nightly 10th step and review my day, and find where my failings were, I again ask God to help me with these things. Its not just selfishness, but that is probably my biggest defect. There is lust, pride, ego, and a pandora's box of others. One day at a time I get better. Sobriety is a journey, not a destination.
well said buddy,well said!:)

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Wow, glad to find some recovery people in here. Feb. 10th will be 4 years! Thanks to people like you guys, a higher power of MY understanding, and hard work, I can say that. Friggin awesome. I put some recovery stuff in my blog, and was hoping to be able to pass the message or do an electronic 12th step of sorts, or meet some other people in recovery.

Last edited:
Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
well said buddy,well said!:)
Most definitely.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Also, one may notice the Miller Lite bottle over my left shoulder in my picture. That is the last bottle of beer I drank.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Congrats Andy! And welcome to our little meeting area here :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait a second, you describing you or me? :)

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Wow, glad to find some recovery people in here. Feb. 10th will be 4 years! Thanks to people like you guys, a higher power of MY understanding, and hard work, I can say that. Friggin awesome. I put some recovery stuff in my blog, and was hoping to be able to pass the message or do an electronic 12th step of sorts, or meet some other people in recovery.
congrats on your 4th year of sobriety, coming up!

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Thanks bSlick69b. What's everyone's take on PH use in recovery?

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bSlick69b. What's everyone's take on PH use in recovery?
that is a very good question andy,considering that we are in recovery and we use p.h's to push our strenght/gain limits.i see it like this,to me p.h's arent an addiction but rather the size and strenght gains.alot of people in recovery use training and excercise as an alternative to drug abuse,alcohol etc.to rebuild there self-esteem that the years of abuse have taken away from them.myself for example,im into training and p.h's for that same reason.im at 6'3 232 lbs.but 2 years ago i never made the 200lb.mark,i could not natty!..when you look in the mirrior,and you see all the hard work that has paid off.your self esteem really goes through the roof my friend.so my thoughts on p.h's in recovery?...it is a big part of my recovery!
slick

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
I tend to agree. When I first read about Epi I had to really check myself and my motivations. I had heard a lot about the 'feelings of well being.' When I started to investigate ph's my honest intentions were to never improve my mood, just add lean mass and strength. So I've ran a couple of productive cycles, did experience the sense of well being, but when I started cycle I was feeling great anyway, and felt serene and strong during pct and beyond. I had just ran across some guys post where he said he was totally hooked on ph's. When my intentions are in the right place, the outcome always seems to be good. I spoke with some guys in the program about it, and they simply asked me to weight the risk/reward factor, which I did. Gained 12 lbs, and kept it all. Last stack was Epi/4ad.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
B-Slick, I see in your details section you have 'drink socially.' I know some addicts that have actually pulled that one off, I know I cannot. ??

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
B-Slick, I see in your details section you have 'drink socially.' I know some addicts that have actually pulled that one off, I know I cannot. ??
i know what you mean buddy!..some can and some cant def.!..drug abuse was my thing back in the day(meth)to be specific!...then i used alcohol as an alternative,then now i have a drink every once in awhile but i very much rather train and be healthy nowadayys.my deterance from drinking alot these days are the fricken terribble hangovers that i cant stand...LOL.everyone uses diff. methods to recovery,because everyone is diff. in so many ways.what ever works for you,works for you!
slick

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like anything - a substance, person, place or thing that causes your life or the life of others to become unmanageable - it is a problem.

What makes one alcoholic/addict is not necessarily the frequency, or volume of alcohol/substance consumed but rather the behaviors associated with their consumption.

A dependency on or inability to function either professionally, socially or athletically without the use of something would be unhealthy. Many people train ONLY when they are on steroids or prohormones. Many people have a dependency on these substances. This would be addictive behavior. This behavior would need to be recognized and address on an individual behavior. The one who is truely qualified to diagnose one as an addict is the addict. Others may recognize it before he does but until the addict become aware and admits it, it is worthless.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Yea, i'm not judging or anything. Just kinda wanted to hear your story and where you stand on it is all. What's been your ph of choice lately and can our bodies start adapting to one speicific compound, rendering it obsolete? Can someone run Epi or Havoc, say once or twice a year and expect good results down the road?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.