A.A./N.A. Support Group Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Im cool with this method working for you guys! It just didn't do one bit of good for me! I met more druggies in n/a and a/a than I ever met in my life! I was 15/16 when I went to that $hit and I just got worse!!! If it worked for you then Im happy for you!!!!
Also.... this method is too GOD related! We are our own gods IMHO! WE choose what we do in life!!!
im sorry to hear that it didnt' work for you.and in the long run it comes down to the individual.and in this case you found your peace of mine in your belief of sobriety.and like i said if it works for you then thats fine.and of course your going to see more druggies there then anywhere else.its a druggie/ex-druggie convention.i would go to the strip club and see the most tits i ever seen in my life because thats where all the titties are at cool!

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
I love AA/NA, but haven't been since I got out of rehab. I was able to maintain sobriety for a while, but without God, we're all doomed!

bslick is a VERY good guy... But rub him the wrong way... hahaha! WATCH OUT!
We make our own destinies FOG! I really believe that! Ive seen nothing in my life to make me believe in a higher power than myself!! We can only count on ourselves! You do know our society has places for people that speaks to "what is not there"! They are called mental wards or church.

Pavlovs Vodka

Pavlovs Vodka

Awards
Maybe it did work for you? in the sense that you saw people you didn't want to be like???

What is this "AA didnt work for me ****"?
What did you want from it? What quantified working?
better- What did you put into it?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Maybe it did work for you? in the sense that you saw people you didn't want to be like???

What is this "AA didnt work for me ****"?
What did you want from it? What quantified working?
better- What did you put into it?
I like this 'PV' guy. Good man.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Suncloud and I touched on the subject of displacing addictions into healthier ones yesterday. Well, I want to add that it may be a good idea to not solely rely on them. Because if you replace a opiate addiction (example) with working out and a structured life, what will happen to you if a monkey wrench is thrown into the mix? It will happen; that's life in a nutshell. Nothing is guaranteed, nor is it written in stone. So it's a good idea to actually have a grasp on the addiction before displacing it.

Bobby (bslick) started this thread with the intentions of reaching out to those that may want/need some guidance, or a friend to talk to... so let's respect that. There's absolutely no need for anyone to come in here with a sarcastic tone, and add negative comments. If this isn't your thing, move on - but don't throw start throwing mud at people (or subjects) unless you're willing to help.

Just a thought.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Suncloud and I touched on the subject of displacing addictions into healthier ones yesterday. Well, I want to add that it may be a good idea to not solely rely on them. Because if you replace a opiate addiction (example) with working out and a structured life, what will happen to you if a monkey wrench is thrown into the mix? It will happen; that's life in a nutshell. Nothing is guaranteed, nor is it written in stone. So it's a good idea to actually have a grasp on the addiction before displacing it.

Bobby (bslick) started this thread with the intentions of reaching out to those that may want/need some guidance, or a friend to talk to... so let's respect that. There's absolutely no need for anyone to come in here with a sarcastic tone, and add negative comments. If this isn't your thing, move on - but don't throw start throwing mud at people (or subjects) unless you're willing to help.

Just a thought.
thanks lungz.goodmorning btw.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Im cool with this method working for you guys! It just didn't do one bit of good for me! I met more druggies in n/a and a/a than I ever met in my life! I was 15/16 when I went to that $hit and I just got worse!!! If it worked for you then Im happy for you!!!!
Also.... this method is too GOD related! We are our own gods IMHO! WE choose what we do in life!!!
i know we already cleard this up between you and i tim.but i wanted to make one more comment in relation to yours.i dont think you could have really been able to grasp the concept of what a.a/n.a were really trying to teach you.not at 15 atleast.i seen people there for alot of diff.reasons but to tell you the truth alot of times the old timers (the people that run the group discussion's)seem to be the only ones that truly get it.thats why at the end of every meeting.they always say the same thing"keep coming back,because it works if you work it"meaning if you dont get it the first time.which is usually the case.to keep coming back because it works if you try to make it work.cool?

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
awesome job!

i want to make a shout out to everyone in recovery!..or are helping others with theres!.i salute you,and your doing one hell of a job!keep up the good work.(brothers in steel!)

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
4 years 7 months here. Welcome all. There are a bunch of us on here, and several good threads as B5150 pointed out.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
3-1/2 years or so now for me. to those who are "early in" stick with what works for you, if it's AA/NA/CA or standing on your head in the corner. there are many methods, everyone is different, things work differently for each of us. experience? AA/CA worked well for me, did not for my GF of a year and a half now, she went, did the steps and still used, she found a different way and claims the only thing good that came out of her AA experience is me, i have to remind her that everything she did, everything she heard, and all her experiences got her where she is right now. to the guy that went to AA in his teens and had a bad experience i will say the same thing, everything you have experienced till now and the way you perceive it, has gotten you where you are......and if you had a problem and are sober now, who gives a dam how you got there. everyones greatest asset is the one thing that no one can ever take from you........your experiences in this life, all of them. use what you have to educate others but, to not have tolerance towards other methods or avenues is not the way to walk this earth, or interact with others. even when i work with newcomers, i tell them that "this is what worked for me, i don't know if it will work for you", now when you say that to a group of 30+ patients in a rehab, you get mixed responses, but the truth is the best avenue for me.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I agree Lennoxchi. My first sponsor told me "There are many paths to the top of the mountain. The trick is to find the one that works for you"

AA and the twelve steps and the Grace of God have worked for me. I think I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
3-1/2 years or so now for me. to those who are "early in" stick with what works for you, if it's AA/NA/CA or standing on your head in the corner. there are many methods, everyone is different, things work differently for each of us. experience? AA/CA worked well for me, did not for my GF of a year and a half now, she went, did the steps and still used, she found a different way and claims the only thing good that came out of her AA experience is me, i have to remind her that everything she did, everything she heard, and all her experiences got her where she is right now. to the guy that went to AA in his teens and had a bad experience i will say the same thing, everything you have experienced till now and the way you perceive it, has gotten you where you are......and if you had a problem and are sober now, who gives a dam how you got there. everyones greatest asset is the one thing that no one can ever take from you........your experiences in this life, all of them. use what you have to educate others but, to not have tolerance towards other methods or avenues is not the way to walk this earth, or interact with others. even when i work with newcomers, i tell them that "this is what worked for me, i don't know if it will work for you", now when you say that to a group of 30+ patients in a rehab, you get mixed responses, but the truth is the best avenue for me.
3.5 yrs. awesome job lennoxchi!..

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I agree Lennoxchi. My first sponsor told me "There are many paths to the top of the mountain. The trick is to find the one that works for you"

AA and the twelve steps and the Grace of God have worked for me. I think I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
keep on keepin on redwolf,awesome!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
great job guys, keep it up--

as for me I mis-understood the title, I thought it was "anabolics anonymous"

peace~

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established

Just a thought.
completely agree. though filling that void with something else can help. for example, the oxycontin that my g/f was on, was snorted. if she doesn't find something to occupy her time, she tends to hang around the house, and her thoughts go back to abusing the meds. i'm not saying its a 100% fix, but it can help.

secondly, i hope your second paragraph wasn't addressed at me. if it was, i apologize for coming off that way, which was never my intention.

Pavlovs Vodka

Pavlovs Vodka

Awards

So true. So, so true. That's what I love most about the program, the principles of the program do not state or ask anymore of me than I ask of myself. Sure some personalities can throw in their 2 cents and try to manipulate the program to fit their conceptions of right and wrong. But the program put me in conscious contact with my higher power... and showed me a path to stay there.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Even in rehab, I had somewhat of a relapse. I remember asking to be put on Wellbutrin, so when I was I would hoard my pills (spit them out when I was in my room) and when I had a few of them I would crush them up and insufflate them. I did this twice and though it killed my nose, I was speeded out. Only I was speeded out in a bad way. I was pacing back and forth like a retard. I never did that again. It was embarassing.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Ugh.. That would suck. I never went into rehab. Just did the DT thing on the couch 4 or 5 different times. Fun times. Ya right. :(

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
completely agree. though filling that void with something else can help. for example, the oxycontin that my g/f was on, was snorted. if she doesn't find something to occupy her time, she tends to hang around the house, and her thoughts go back to abusing the meds. i'm not saying its a 100% fix, but it can help.

secondly, i hope your second paragraph wasn't addressed at me. if it was, i apologize for coming off that way, which was never my intention.
no!..i dont think it was addressed to you suncloud!

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established

No, not at all. You are providing great information - it was directed toward anyone that might want to say that rehab doesn't work.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
No, not at all. You are providing great information - it was directed toward anyone that might want to say that rehab doesn't work.
yes..i second that..suncloud you're very helpful and thanks for using your experience to help.also thanks ironlungz for your help also and for clarifying your satement!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Everything is not for everybody,.. but for me, I must say goodbye to self and put it all in God's omnipotent hands. I mean, I believe there has to be a guardian angel or some kinda destiny, as I prolly shoulda been dead a long time ago!!!
I pasted this following from a post in general chat, but it's one of my tools,...I attend a mens group that is basically about how to be a man. You'd think at 37 I'd have that covered, but, well, it is what it is. The main things we concentrate on are integrity and accountability, and how they show up in your life. Not everyone there is addict, was an addict, whatever. That's the one group I hit every week without fail, even if I don't make an AA meeting!!! It's made a big difference in my life. It's loosely based on SWET, which is spiritual warfare effectiveness training.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Everything is not for everybody,.. but for me, I must say goodbye to self and put it all in God's omnipotent hands. I mean, I believe there has to be a guardian angel or some kinda destiny, as I prolly shoulda been dead a long time ago!!!
I pasted this following from a post in general chat, but it's one of my tools,...I attend a mens group that is basically about how to be a man. You'd think at 37 I'd have that covered, but, well, it is what it is. The main things we concentrate on are integrity and accountability, and how they show up in your life. Not everyone there is addict, was an addict, whatever. That's the one group I hit every week without fail, even if I don't make an AA meeting!!! It's made a big difference in my life. It's loosely based on SWET, which is spiritual warfare effectiveness training.
sounds interesting, wonder if theres any thing like that here in Chi-Town

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
SWET has camping trips every summer that are quite interesting,.. you could look it up online! Also, there is a program called WAR, that is similar!!!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
amen..brothers!..god is with us all,and we still being around to enjoy life is testament to that reality!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
dont worry chub!..there is help!:frustrate

I feel more relaxed when my order comes in and i make a big tower in my living room :rofl:

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established

Just a thought.
I agree totally with you lungz!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established

Hit the nail on the head with this. You think you have control until something goes wrong in your life (and when it rains it pours)

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hit the nail on the head with this. You think you have control until something goes wrong in your life (and when it rains it pours)
And sometimes the rain feels like a million IED's being tossed at you.
Some ignore the issues, put them away for the time being - saying that they will get help after this, or after that, the whole while trying so hard to get the ones around them to believe everything is fine.
For me, I kept a journal of everything that I thought, or felt. I would read it over everyday from page one. I realized that it's better to not forget the black hole for which I fell into, but rather to give it a crown, call it king then knock it of its throne each day. I am King of my body, but bow to the King of my soul - the Lord. No point in hiding it; remembering the pain and the feelings of self-loss is the best way for me to step around that black hole each day.

/Ramble over.

Last edited:
nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree on remembering where you came from,.. because from time to time a person might get to big for their britches! As far as a journal, I found it to be an important part of my daily life, when things bothered me, when I had trouble dealing with things, or just my own emotions,... it helped to put it on paper and get it out. Very cathartic(cleansing) to me,.. and it helped me find myself and not blame others, basically to see, my choices make me who I am!!!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
awesome post iron and bonscott.just like the saying goes."those whom forget history are doomed to repeat it"...cant forget where we came from,and what we went through to get here!awesome posts from everyone!

Last edited:
Pavlovs Vodka

Pavlovs Vodka

Awards
It's so encouraging that there are so many people in recovery on this forum. Where are you guys from?

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!!!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Seattle/Tacoma originally. West Virginia now.

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
And sometimes the rain feels like a million IED's being tossed at you.
Some ignore the issues, put them away for the time being - saying that they will get help after this, or after that, the whole while trying so hard to get the ones around them to believe everything is fine.
For me, I kept a journal of everything that I thought, or felt. I would read it over everyday from page one. I realized that it's better to not forget the black hole for which I fell into, but rather to give it a crown, call it king then knock it of its throne each day. I am King of my body, but bow to the King of my soul - the Lord. No point in hiding it; remembering the pain and the feelings of self-loss is the best way for me to step around that black hole each day.

/Ramble over.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My hats off to all who are starting the fight or have been in the battle a long time.

Ive had my issues with numerous substances and I actually lost the most when I found my reason for being sober.I wouldnt trade it for anything now though because if the people around you arent helkpiong you up then they must be bringing you down.

But by the grace of God I no longer have the desire for ANY mood altering substances and Ive battled the demons that I was hiding from and am a much better person for it.

Its been 5 yrs since Ive even drank a beer.I thing Id like to state is if anyone slips up dont beat yourself down ,just get back on that horse and ride cowboy ride!

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
My hats off to all who are starting the fight or have been in the battle a long time.

Ive had my issues with numerous substances and I actually lost the most when I found my reason for being sober.I wouldnt trade it for anything now though because if the people around you arent helkpiong you up then they must be bringing you down.

But by the grace of God I no longer have the desire for ANY mood altering substances and Ive battled the demons that I was hiding from and am a much better person for it.

Its been 5 yrs since Ive even drank a beer.I thing Id like to state is if anyone slips up dont beat yourself down ,just get back on that horse and ride cowboy ride!
True.. so very true man! I had to cut everyone out of my life like the cancer they were and all I was left with was my loving family. I still ain't perfect, but at least Im alive.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
its funny that a lot of us got serious about bodybuilding when we gave up the drink. one big reason why i stay sober is because of the way i feel alcohol inhibits muscle recovery.

i have a hard time when the holidays roll around, you have to keep your head straight.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
its funny that a lot of us got serious about bodybuilding when we gave up the drink. one big reason why i stay sober is because of the way i feel alcohol inhibits muscle recovery.

i have a hard time when the holidays roll around, you have to keep your head straight.
Alcohol does alot of things bro, none of which are positive to muscle growth(just look at me lol)

Pavlovs Vodka

Pavlovs Vodka

Awards
destin, florida. I was in boca raton for a few months recently though hman.

wsp fan

wsp fan

Awards
LOL ... my first post and it's about recovery - I was done using at the ripe old age of 25. I am about to turn 40 here shortly and have not found it necessary to use since - I have good teachers and stay close to the Recovery "pulse." Iron Lungz - I like your style - pertaining to negative peeps in forums. I keep traditions 10 and 11 in mind these days.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lol at destin. you're like the only tan person in that neck of the woods :) . i was there for a few days back in 98. there, niceville, fort walton beach. i felt so out of place...

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOL ... my first post and it's about recovery - I was done using at the ripe old age of 25. I am about to turn 40 here shortly and have not found it necessary to use since - I have good teachers and stay close to the Recovery "pulse." Iron Lungz - I like your style - pertaining to negative peeps in forums. I keep traditions 10 and 11 in mind these days.
Welcome to AM!
I can ensure you that this thread is full of people that are genuine and are eager to help those around them.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
tim makes a good point in having to cut yourself off,... I mean I kept thinking I could go around old people, places, and things. I relapsed several times till I changed my phone number and just started all over. Don't get me wrong, the obsession creeps in every now and again, but I pray, call someone, or workout,and other things, because I alone can not beat the obsession. So I try not to let obsession and opportunity meet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.