Just got done with steonglifts 5x5 for 8 weeks

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Ran the 5x5 for 8 weeks squat stopped around 315 bench I got stalled at 210 for 4x5 and can't get the fith set..deadlift is 250 and barbell rows around 150..now I am 28 5'6 180-175 I would like to gain some size while uping weight also.. Should I use 75% and go 4x8 and add weight as I complete the sets or any suggestions..

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe it says to deload by 10% so deload. If fail, deload again. etc. until you complete 5x5.

So you did 5x5 of the 205lb the week before?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
It was the week that only had bench one day.. Did 4 sets of 5 and 1 set of 4. If that makes since(so ibmissed the whole 5x5 by 1 rep)

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Have been reading a lot and seems that with my number not bad (nothing. To talk about ) but decent I am going to take 80% of all my top weights go 4 sets of 8 for 3 months and add weight every time I get all sets complete and see how my body reacts to that

kogama

Awards
Just gonna throw in here Strong lifts 5x5 changed my life, I used to only have muscles for show back in high school. Freshmen year of college I did strong lifts and left my ego at the door.

My chest was always weak because I had no spotter and was scared, back to that situation but anyways here is how it faired.

Bench 95lb > 185
Barbell Row 95 > 185
Squat 150 > 315
Deadlift 160 > 315
Military Press 95 > 105

idk why I could do 95 easily but couldn't go any heavier, shoulders were a failure :/

anyways I found that switching to a 5 day split raised all my numbers

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strong lifts is a solid a$$ program. I generally like all the 5x5 programs and typically recommend them to everyone who ask me about lifting advice. Strong lifts is usually my first suggestion, mainly because they have a free app that people can download and use and it isn't that bad.

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
Strong lifts is great. Helped me break through my plateaus in college.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah .. I did it was awesome. Going to change it to the 4 and 8 sets for 12 weeks add weight every week ..then go to madcows 5x5 next

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Well just sprained my ankle bad. So no more leg days. I still want to train and get big so any ideas on a good thing to follow. Thinking of bench row and over head press 3 days a week. I only have a bench and squat rack combo with barbell and weights

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Fyi tried to squat and no way when I get to the bottom with no weight it screams pain.. I can muster through it for a mid weight dead lift