Run in a week for weight loss and health

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How often and how far should I run in a week for weight loss and health?

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I do 20-40 mins of easy cardio in the elliptical 5 days a week. It works great, and I've had plenty of success with it, I lost 100 lbs in about a year and I've kept most of my strength.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
That would depend on how much you weigh but as as guideline allow 100-130 kcals per mile (dependant on weight) so possibly up to 35 miles a week to lose a pound!!!!

However you don't need to run to lose weight, it would be easier to lose weight by eating less, once you get low on intake and weight loss plateaus then you could add cardio

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nope. 10-12 minutes before lifting, and 10-12 minutes post lifting. Done. Be consistent in the kitchen and the gym.
Remember for recomp, you must rest and recuperate.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
Nope. 10-12 minutes before lifting, and 10-12 minutes post lifting. Done. Be consistent in the kitchen and the gym.
Remember for recomp, you must rest and recuperate.
Are we talking running or the elliptical? Because on the elliptical you'll be able to recover from it easily and burn more calories and the diet bit is obvious.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's not about calories burnt while exercise. It never is.
It's a long string of connected behaviors with a slow effect over time producing the result.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
It's not about calories burnt while exercise. It never is.
It's a long string of connected behaviors with a slow effect over time producing the result.
And increased out put over time will reap greater results.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I'm saying there are ways to increase output while still being able to recover which will help one reach a goal much faster. Obviously consistency is the name of the game for diet and training.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm convinced this guy is a troll or very bored today.