Intermittent Fasting questions (also log)

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IF has Intrigued mean a lot and has some interesting science behind it. It seems like a way that i can diet and limit the inhibiting factors i have. As i can starve myself easily but when i am eating i have a tendency to pick bad choices; mostly caused by emotions(i am clinically depressed, i don't take meds for as they ALL made it worse). However; with this i only will have small window of eating and i feel like i can limit, or get rid of all together, my cheating. It also has lots of benefits its self. Although when it comes to IF i have limited knowledge of it, as the specific question i want answered are hard to find answers to by using google.

Stats to help answer my questions below.
Height:5foot 9
weight: 203
BF: using calipers: 18 using this electrical machine that i stand on and hold in hands: 16.8 my guess based off of the other 2 and pictures of other people(taken accurately by a doctor) 17ish. Side note I'm still very muscular even through my fat and am very very strong for both my size and age.

Has anyone one done it with restricted carbs(i was think of using 75ish grams)? If so how was your experience? Approximately how carbs did you use? Is this a good or bad idea and why?

How many calories do you usually shoot for while on IF? I know my maintenance is around 2200cals. What cals should i shoot for(i know that's a hard one for you to answers for me)?

When do YOU train on IF? pre or post eating? I was gonna do it where i workout then instantly eat having my window of eating from 445ish-815ish. Also what if i workout in the morning but my window is until 445? Did IF hurt your performance very much? Also what was your training like? Is there a best way to train while doing IF? I was going to stick with my usual powerbuilding(powerlifting/heavy on main lifts and bodybuilding/volume on support lifts) and add in 25-45 of LISS. After which i plan on instantly chuging a premade shake, with around 1000cals but 50g or less carbs, then sit in the sauna for 30-60minI; then finish eating the rest of my cals after I'm done. Does that training style still good for me to use?

Also I'm going to be taking OLs gw, EvoMuses epitome, metabolic rebirth, and brite and to my knowledge(not exactly sure as i haven't seen the label yet. Although i bought it anyways because i trust that dsade makes great products) brite is has quite a bit of fat in it. Would this effect the IF since i would be taking it during the time period I'm suppose to be fasting?

As stated in tittle this will be a log as well. Hopefully this log will have pictures if i can finally get it to work on the mobile app.

P.S. sorry for the novel of a post! I am just curious and have lost of questions. I also like to research the ins and outs of everything i do and take before i do it.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Little bit of info of how i got to where i am aka my excuses.

I started lifting for football and football only 6 almost 7 years ago. I never cared how i looked as long as i was performing well, gaining strength, and was still able to run 4.78 forty(this was a time i picked because i could consistently hit that number). I also always had a hard time gaining strength without adding a little fat. It also hasn't helped that i emotionally eat bad quite a bit. However i am done with football and do not care how strong i am anymore. All i want now is to look good so that's what i am going for.

HIM

HIM

Awards
The way I run my diet I have an 8 hour eating window(12-8), your going to need more more than 4 hours to be able to get your food in plus I don't see the reasoning in fasting 20 hours a day but thats just me. I can't comment much on the low carb aspect but I imagine your still going to want to work your carbs in during the day and preferably have them around your workout.
Which to answer your workout question, I like to do fasted morning cardio then lift in the afternoon after Ive gotten some food in my system. You'll be more productive in the gym with some food in your system but you won't be running on fat reserves like fasted training. Neither is wrong IMO just more of your choice on what your trying to do.
If your maintenance is 2200 then I'd probably shoot for 1800 and go from there depending on results. But first it sounds like you need to get your diet in check before anything. Plan your meals out the day before, and if you have to, cook extra so meals can just be reheated. By having your meals planned out and ready ahead of time you just have to follow your meal plan when you get hungry. This alone can kick keep you from cheating with **** food and really keep your diet on point, the key is to stay a step ahead of yourself. When your hungry your vulnerable and when your vulnerable your more likely to impulsively make bad choices.
One last bit... having a 1000 cal pwo shake is a bit overkill especially on ~2000 cal a day. Just drink a regular protein shake, maybe throw in a 1/2 cup of oats with it. An hour or so later get a nice meal in. My favorite lately has been chicken breast topped with guac and salsa with a side of brown rice. The idea is to get your metabolism going and keep a steady supply of nourishment to keep your body happy.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The way I run my diet I have an 8 hour eating window(12-8),
That's a quite a big window compared to what most everyone else does. Not saying that's wrong though.

your going to need more more than 4 hours to be able to get your food
I know i can consume the proper amount of healthy cals in the time that i was thinking of doing. It will be about half liquid(protein shake with milk and can vary with different things including cottages cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal, brown rice flour, peanut butter, almond butter, grapeseed oil olive oil, coconut oil, etc, etc...) post workout tho.

I can't comment much on the low carb aspect but I imagine your still going to want to work your carbs in during the day and preferably have them around your workout.
I have done workouts without eating before but it wasnt for a long time and felt fine. I also have had success loosing weight with low to no carbs as well just never cared enough to consistently do it because i cared more about getting big and strong for football. Also there has been studies that athletes that workout with low to no carbs doubled the calories burned. Also people say after a while they actually have more energy with no carbs after a while but it takes some time to get used to.

Which to answer your workout question, I like to do fasted morning cardio then lift in the afternoon after Ive gotten some food in my system. You'll be more productive in the gym with some food in your system but you won't be running on fat reserves like fasted training. Neither is wrong IMO just more of your choice on what your trying to do.
using my fat reserves is kinda what i wanted to do. As well i can use the advantage off consuming most of my cals post workout when insulin sensitivity is higher.

If your maintenance is 2200 then I'd probably shoot for 1800 and go from there depending on results. But first it sounds like you need to get your diet in check before anything.
Ya i do need to get my diet in check. I have been good for about 3 weeks tho but i have been dieting per say just clean because i have been eating around my maintenance. I lost some weight tho.

Plan your meals out the day before, and if you have to, cook extra so meals can just be reheated. By having your meals planned out and ready ahead of time you just have to follow your meal plan when you get hungry. This alone can kick keep you from cheating with **** food and really keep your diet on point, the key is to stay a step ahead of yourself. When your hungry your vulnerable and when your vulnerable your more likely to impulsively make bad choices.
Have been doing this recently and it defiantly does help.

One last bit... having a 1000 cal pwo shake is a bit overkill especially on ~2000 cal a day. Just drink a regular protein shake, maybe throw in a 1/2 cup of oats with it. An hour or so later get a nice meal in.
I can see that might be ever kill for all at once. Although its an easy way to get healthy cals in a small yet typical IF window.

Also i very appreciate your insight and i am sorry if it seems like i am trying to argue with, which I'm not. I just wanted to discuss those few things a little more. I will take what you said in to consideration.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did it for a almost 2 months and lost 15 lbs. It was really hard at the beginning and still difficult in the morning but I always felt full for a long time after I ate. Also because I was always full, it was hard to eat all my calories.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did it for a almost 2 months and lost 15 lbs. It was really hard at the beginning and still difficult in the morning but I always felt full for a long time after I ate. Also because I was always full, it was hard to eat all my calories.
Ya that's 1 of the main reason i want to use for this cut.

Dfin0490

Dfin0490

Awards
Initially when I was having extra body fat I just fasted for 12 to 14 hours a day and then just ate and lost weight the calorie restriction helps a lot and all my lifts and size went up. It didn't matter to me when I lifted I usually ended my fast about noon or 1 the best advice is just to experiment and see what works for you I know this may not have answered a lot of questions but kind of in directly to know what I'm saying haha

HIM

HIM

Awards
That's a quite a big window compared to what most everyone else does. Not saying that's wrong though.

I know i can consume the proper amount of healthy cals in the time that i was thinking of doing. It will be about half liquid(protein shake with milk and can vary with different things including cottages cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal, brown rice flour, peanut butter, almond butter, grapeseed oil olive oil, coconut oil, etc, etc...) post workout tho.

I have done workouts without eating before but it wasnt for a long time and felt fine. I also have had success loosing weight with low to no carbs as well just never cared enough to consistently do it because i cared more about getting big and strong for football. Also there has been studies that athletes that workout with low to no carbs doubled the calories burned. Also people say after a while they actually have more energy with no carbs after a while but it takes some time to get used to.

using my fat reserves is kinda what i wanted to do. As well i can use the advantage off consuming most of my cals post workout when insulin sensitivity is higher.

Ya i do need to get my diet in check. I have been good for about 3 weeks tho but i have been dieting per say just clean because i have been eating around my maintenance. I lost some weight tho.

Have been doing this recently and it defiantly does help.

I can see that might be ever kill for all at once. Although its an easy way to get healthy cals in a small yet typical IF window.

Also i very appreciate your insight and i am sorry if it seems like i am trying to argue with, which I'm not. I just wanted to discuss those few things a little more. I will take what you said in to consideration.
No worries dude your good!

I know there's a lot of folks who do shorter eating windows with success but it's just too much for me personally. 6 hours of fasting when I wake up and another 4 hours before bed has worked well without leaving me dying for food. I also believe cramming that much food in that little time creates risky eating habits. Not necessarily bad, just risky. Before I got in shape my main issue was my metabolism. I wasn't eating enough throughout the day then loading up on calorie heavy meals. Very similar to IF on a 4 hour window. Spreading out my calories has really helped fire my metabolism back up and IMO improved my eating patterns.
But as was said, mess with things a little to see what works best for you. Im just sharing my experience to give you ideas to bounce off of.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Initially when I was having extra body fat I just fasted for 12 to 14 hours a day and then just ate and lost weight the calorie restriction helps a lot and all my lifts and size went up. It didn't matter to me when I lifted I usually ended my fast about noon or 1 the best advice is just to experiment and see what works for you I know this may not have answered a lot of questions but kind of in directly to know what I'm saying haha
Ya i get what your were saying and it did help. Thanks for the input.

Dfin0490

Dfin0490

Awards
I'm sure the initial fast will help by our lean out and such long as you don't pig out. After a plateau fine tune it up and spur new weight loss

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok thanks guys i appreciate the input. I decided not to log this here but i will log it my cut though i am bot sure where quite yet. I might to it in the supplement log section. I will let you guys know after i create it.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ended up posting it in the supplement log section. Its tittle is "Getting shredded with EvoMuse log and more(unsponsored)"

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
This is how i eat and it has really helped me lean down. You can incorporate any dietary protocol along with IF to help you reach your weight loss goals. I like to get at least one meal in prior to training, usually a protein and vegetables meal. Most of the time this will consist of 200 grams of chicken breast and 170 grams of fibrous vegetables. I never eat carbs other than green veggies pre training, only after and i carb cycle as well. You can check out my log, fat blow torch stack. Ive gone for about 215 down to 183 using IF, tracking my calories and carb cycling. Any questions on any diet info, p.m me, ill let you know what ive done to get to where i am.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is how i eat and it has really helped me lean down. You can incorporate any dietary protocol along with IF to help you reach your weight loss goals. I like to get at least one meal in prior to training, usually a protein and vegetables meal. Most of the time this will consist of 200 grams of chicken breast and 170 grams of fibrous vegetables. I never eat carbs other than green veggies pre training, only after and i carb cycle as well. You can check out my log, fat blow torch stack. Ive gone for about 215 down to 183 using IF, tracking my calories and carb cycling. Any questions on any diet info, p.m me, ill let you know what ive done to get to where i am.
Thanks i will take you up on that offer if i have any questions latter on