Hot Sauce Yay or Nay?

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I always put hot sauce on my food. It helps me swallow down alot of bodybuilding foods that I otherwise could not fare very well with. Alot of guys stay away from it because of the sodium content. Should I keep using it or chuck it?

Here is the hot sauce I use

along with the chili garlic

Dr of Golf

Awards
I always put hot sauce on my food. It helps me swallow down alot of bodybuilding foods that I otherwise could not fare very well with. Alot of guys stay away from it because of the sodium content. Should I keep using it or chuck it?

I also love Hot Sauce on a lot of my food.

The capsaicin in the hot sauce is supposed to be good for the body. I know it's used to help treat some cases of arthritis, plus they make an ointment with capsaicin for sore muscles.

Personally, I wouldn't give it up because of the sodium. There's usually not really that much in true HOT sauce. :D :D

Just my 2 cents.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Definitely keep it. As Doc said, capsaicin is good for the body, and if I remember right, may help to promote healthy metabolic and circulation function (I should look that up, but I think it's the capsaicin that does that) Also the lycopene from tomato, red pepper, as well as onion and garlic are great for your body. :)

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Watch out of sodium. But spicy foods, hot saucce, etc. Will add to your thermic food effect, speeding up your metabolism....

Dr of Golf

Awards
Here's a little blip from the "Texas Medical Center News". Enjoy! :)

Vol. 24, No. 18 October 1, 2002
Spicy Chilis May Contain Secret to Stopping Skin Cancers
Lab Studies Find Capsaicin Interferes with Cell's Ability to Process Oxygen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By JULIE A. PENNE
The University of Texas
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pungent component that gives spicy chili peppers their punch may be able to knock out skin cancers as well, reports a team of researchers at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Reuben Lotan, Ph.D., and Numsen Hail in the department of thoracic, head and neck medical oncology report in the Sept. 4 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, that exposing skin cancer cells to the chemical capsaicin (cap-say-i-sin), which gives chili peppers their spicy flavor, caused the cells to stop growing and eventually die. The researchers reported that capsaicin and a related compound derived from a tree interfere with the cancer cells' ability to use oxygen. The oxygen-deficient cells then commit cellular suicide, called apoptosis.

"It is important to bear in mind that this study was done in the laboratory, the initial step in a long process to bring a product to the patient," Lotan said. "The findings from this research and other previous studies are encouraging, and offer a sound foundation for exploring clinical and preventive applications with capsaicin, particularly in skin cancer."

The natural product capsaicin is currently used in creams and ointments to relieve pain and inflammation. It is also used to treat psoriasis and herpes.

Scientists studying how the chemical works noticed that it is capable of inhibiting cancer cells, but few studies had addressed how it could do that.

Lotan studied capsaicin's effects on squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer. The scientists applied the chemical for 30 minutes and then measured its ability to use oxygen, particularly in the mitochondria, the cell's powerhouse and the site inside the cell where oxygen is used to help produce energy. When they examined the cancer cell's response, they determined that the cells had stopped growing and had entered into a cycle that leads to death.

Lotan points out that the concentration of capsaicin that was effective in killing skin cancer cells is eight to 25 times lower than that now used in topical creams, making it a good candidate for use in a cream or patch to prevent or treat skin cancer.

In an accompanying review, Young-Joan Surh, M.D., of Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea, calls the work "an excellent study" that provides important insights into how capsaicin causes cell death.

The study was funded in part by grants from the National Cancer Institute.

DarCSA

Awards
I like hot sauce every now and then. But more than that Dr. of Golf that is cool man. I like the cancer info man. Skin cancer may have met its match. Nice indeed.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the help guys, especially Dr Of Golf.

BTW I find any Karma that usually follows up Jweaves to be especially hilarious ;)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
BTW I find any Karma that usually follows up Jweaves to be especially hilarious ;)
Damnit!! that bee is a sneaky bitch! :D

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Now the med reports I cant wait to see.. thanks Doc G

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
You use good **** Ex Banana... I smear either that stuff or Cholula over every damn thing I eat these days. Put it on eggs, put it in cottage cheese, in tuna, chicken, steaks, yogurt, salad... the sauce you have pictured usually tops a chicken and rice noodle meal I make all the time... sometimes put the Cholula in my post workout whey with extra cinnamon. Tastes much, much better than it sounds. Everybody needs hot sauce.

khafra

Awards
I love that Tuong Ot Sriracha stuff, I used to eat it on everything.  I moved, though, and I can't find it anymore.  I'm stuck with plain ol' Tabasco and Datil pepper sauce.  It's good stuff.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I use the one with the rooster on the front as well, either that or Cajun Chef(better than Tabasco). Both rock.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 14
Punkrocker Anabolics 5
Dustin07 General Chat 14
Weight Loss 22
RenegadeRows General Chat 18