Looking for the Best 5X5 program.

KrunkChris

Awards
Ok so after looking on the web I found numerous 5X5 workout programs but all were different. Does anyone here have or know of a solid detailed 5X5 workout schedule. what Iam concerned about is what to do on the days that Im not training my chest? or some of these only have about 3 exercises per day? and some say to use the same weight for all 5 sets, some say to go up in weight each set, and some are split. Im just overall confused a little bit and in need of a little assistance. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Chris

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had great success with Bill Starr's 5x5 routines in terms of strength and size gains.Do a google for his routine.It should lead you to geocities/elitemadcow.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
Ok so after looking on the web I found numerous 5X5 workout programs but all were different. Does anyone here have or know of a solid detailed 5X5 workout schedule. what Iam concerned about is what to do on the days that Im not training my chest? or some of these only have about 3 exercises per day? and some say to use the same weight for all 5 sets, some say to go up in weight each set, and some are split. Im just overall confused a little bit and in need of a little assistance. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Chris
Most of them depend on how much experience you have.
If you are just starting out the stronglifts beginner is a great program. There is also a stronglifts intermediate once you finish the beginner. If you have been lifting a while you might want to look at the Madcow or the Texas programs. Both are based on the original Bill Starr.
Most beginner programs use the same weight for all 5 sets for simplicity. When you go to the more advanced programs you will have recovery days that use the same weight for all sets and intensity days the the weight increases each set.
Also most programs alternate bench and overhead press in an A/B fashion. Both excersises use the same muscles just not as directly. The reason for the limited number of excersises is to keep you from overtraining. 3 sets of squats a week with increasing weight for 25 reps can take a toll.
I have several spreadsheets for the different programs that you just plug your starting weights in and it figures out the progression for you. If you want them send me a PM with your e-mail and I will shoot them over.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
I have several spreadsheets for the different programs that you just plug your starting weights in and it figures out the progression for you. If you want them send me a PM with your e-mail and I will shoot them over.
For those that are interested. Here is the excel template file for different HST type and 5x5 type routines. These have all been copied from other sources and most are still in the original format.
At the bottom left corner of the excel window you will see different tabs for the programs.
It includes:
HST - Compound Lifts & A/B Routine
Max-Stim - Compound & A/B Routine
Stronglifts - Beginner & Advanced
The Texas Method
Madcow Beginner & Advanced
Plus a rep calculator and tracking sheet.

When I get a chance I will add the other 5x5's like Eclipse, original Bill Starr, etc.

Attachments

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
bump this is awesome for everyone to download.
these programs are all excellent!