First time creatine user question

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Does it matter at what time of the day I take creatine?

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Does it matter at what time of the day I take creatine?
Some like it pre workout, some mass gainers put it in post workout...

I can see argument over both, but I think as long as you are getting the daily dose you'll still get the reward.

Anyone got any real science on this?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I can see argument over both, but I think as long as you are getting the daily dose you'll still get the reward.

One study seems to show slight benefits post-workout compared to pre-workout, but just reaching and maintaining saturation is by far the most important thing here.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

One study seems to show slight benefits post-workout compared to pre-workout, but just reaching and maintaining saturation is by far the most important thing here.
Okay. I didn’t know if I could throw some in my OJ in the morning and have it be okay.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Okay. I didn’t know if I could throw some in my OJ in the morning and have it be okay.
Yeah 5g scoop in OJ in AM daily for awhile should be fine. But why ruin OJ? Mix it in pre or post workout drink / shake.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah 5g scoop in OJ in AM daily for awhile should be fine. But why ruin OJ? Mix it in pre or post workout drink / shake.
I figured it wouldn’t mess up the OJ. Lol but I’ll probably throw some in my preworkout. I’m trying to do a loading phase of it right now.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thats how I used to do it. Always seemed to work fine. If I was using D Aspartic Acid I would put that in there too.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I figured it wouldn’t mess up the OJ. Lol but I’ll probably throw some in my preworkout. I’m trying to do a loading phase of it right now.
That’ll be fine, but a loading phase isn’t necessary. It will get you to saturation faster, but it’s not necessary.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’ll be fine, but a loading phase isn’t necessary. It will get you to saturation faster, but it’s not necessary.
That’s true. It will build up either way as long as it’s the 5g per day. 20g per day for the first three days, though, that’s how I did it to load up. Also I think if you’re a particularly large and muscular guy, you can use more overall. Maybe that has more to do with gear. I haven’t seen a study on a 300lb and ripped to shreds bodybuilder.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That’s true. It will build up either way as long as it’s the 5g per day. 20g per day for the first three days, though, that’s how I did it to load up. Also I think if you’re a particularly large and muscular guy, you can use more overall. Maybe that has more to do with gear. I haven’t seen a study on a 300lb and ripped to shreds bodybuilder.
You don’t even need 5g/day, at least if you’re not heavy or overly muscular that is. I’d have to check the study to see what the subjects weighed. I’ve seen studies show that saturation can be achieved with 3g/day, but I think it took about a month or so. Some people get upset stomachs with loading, so sometimes it’s easier to just not load, assuming you can wait the extra few weeks for the benefits to really pick up. I’d agree that if you’re a big guy, go with at least 5g/day. I also don’t know how having pro-level muscle mass would effect what it takes to achieve and maintain saturation though, so you may be right about using more in that case. I’m pretty light, so I just normally take 5g. It’s cheap enough, and plenty safe, so no real reason not to go with at least 5g IMO.

Edit: the subjects who achieved saturation at 3g/day had an average weight of 76.1kg, or ~167lbs, so if you’re heavier, 5g is probably a solid dose. Not sure about upper 200s all muscle, as you’re looking at a lot more muscle to saturate.
https://www.physiology.org/doi/pdf/10.1152/jappl.1996.81.1.232

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You don’t even need 5g/day, at least if you’re not heavy or overly muscular that is. I’d have to check the study to see what the subjects weighed. I’ve seen studies show that saturation can be achieved with 3g/day, but I think it took about a month or so. Some people get upset stomachs with loading, so sometimes it’s easier to just not load, assuming you can wait the extra few weeks for the benefits to really pick up. I’d agree that if you’re a big guy, go with at least 5g/day. I also don’t know how having pro-level muscle mass would effect what it takes to achieve and maintain saturation though, so you may be right about using more in that case. I’m pretty light, so I just normally take 5g. It’s cheap enough, and plenty safe, so no real reason not to go with at least 5g IMO.
Right, it’s arguably the cheapest and safest of all possible ergogenic aids which also can build lean body mass. 80 5g servings for $10-$15 all over the place. No real reason to skimp out on it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right, it’s arguably the cheapest and safest of all possible ergogenic aids which also can build lean body mass. 80 5g servings for $10-$15 all over the place. No real reason to skimp out on it.
Exactly. Plus it’s actually good for cognition too! Meat eaters get sufficient Creatine from their diet for cognitive purposes (but not for muscle saturation), but vegetarians/vegans don’t, and studies have shown that Creatine supplementation can improve cognition in vegetarians/vegans. Good for the brain and the body. Definitely worth using a dose you know will work.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Thats how I used to do it. Always seemed to work fine. If I was using D Aspartic Acid I would put that in there too.
I tried D Aspartic Acid a few times and I would get terrible stomach aches and be in the bathroom for a bit.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I’m about 216 lbs right now and trying to drop down to 170.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This. Most important thing is consistency in dosing each and every day. 5g daily doesn't matter what time. I typically do 5g in my post workout shake.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m about 216 lbs right now and trying to drop down to 170.
Creatine on a cut? I would hold off or lower the creatine dose and just lift and add cardio to burn fat.

Perhaps try a pre workout geared for thermogenic action, energy, and pumps - without the creatine? My new favorite here would be Radiate+ by RXS supplements. Be prepared to sweat!

Creatine is good for strength, size... but less so for vascularity, holds water which is good for muscle growth... But maybe less useful if trying shed fat. It's easier to focus on losing weight, get lean... Then "bulk" or go for gainZ then.

A forum member BEAST73 did something similar. He lifted high volume reps, medium weights, and did cardio... Dropped like ~100lbs and now is going for growth once he got lean. His logs are inspiring.

Make sure you eat clean and lean, drop sugars as much as possible (stevia-maltodextrin big bag at Walmart is cheap and good table sugar replacement).

Royalqc

Awards
If you mix it with orange juice, juste don't take too long to drink it as it will become more unstable with the time. It is also better in room or warm temperature beverage rather than cold one, it dissolves easier.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine on a cut? I would hold off or lower the creatine dose and just lift and add cardio to burn fat.

Perhaps try a pre workout geared for thermogenic action, energy, and pumps - without the creatine? My new favorite here would be Radiate+ by RXS supplements. Be prepared to sweat!

Creatine is good for strength, size... but less so for vascularity, holds water which is good for muscle growth... But maybe less useful if trying shed fat. It's easier to focus on losing weight, get lean... Then "bulk" or go for gainZ then.

A forum member BEAST73 did something similar. He lifted high volume reps, medium weights, and did cardio... Dropped like ~100lbs and now is going for growth once he got lean. His logs are inspiring.

Make sure you eat clean and lean, drop sugars as much as possible (stevia-maltodextrin big bag at Walmart is cheap and good table sugar replacement).
Why not use Creatine on a cut? It can increase strength, which can help you preserve strength while cutting. It’s also been shown to help maintain performance during an overreaching period, and it can be argued that a cut can be similar to overreaching.

As for effects on cutting, it shouldn’t hinder any actual fat loss, you’ll just remain a few pounds heavier as opposed to dropping the intracellular (good) water from Creatine. OP isn’t planning on stepping on stage from how much weight he says he wants to lose, so I don’t see a slight water retention being an issue really.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Doesn't Creatine say to take with high volume carbs, which is not what you want for shedding weight....

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
OP should be fine however you take it as long as you do consistently. 3-5g whenever is convenient.

No it’s perfectly fine to take creatine on a cut. It will keep training intensity up and allow for better recovery and more productive workouts. Should be beneficial bulking cutting or maintaining.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn't Creatine say to take with high volume carbs, which is not what you want for shedding weight....
This is not necessary at all really. It may slightly help you reach saturation faster, but it is not needed at all.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

Yeah I’m trying to cut as much sugar as possible, but I’m having trouble cutting out my Mt. Dew addiction. so I’m switching to one mini Mt. Dew a day and the orange juice for the creatine as far as sugar goes.

Nutrex

Nutrex

Awards
Just stick to 3-5g anytime of the day.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I’m trying to cut as much sugar as possible, but I’m having trouble cutting out my Mt. Dew addiction. so I’m switching to one mini Mt. Dew a day and the orange juice for the creatine as far as sugar goes.
don't drink orange juice with creatine, at least that is what I was told a long time ago and have always followed--grape juice is what I was told is the best to mix with creatine, so that's what I do.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
don't drink orange juice with creatine, at least that is what I was told a long time ago and have always followed--grape juice is what I was told is the best to mix with creatine, so that's what I do.
We all know that neither OJ nor grape juice are the optimal “juice” to take with your Creatine.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What’s best to put creatine in?
It was a joke about a nickname for steroids being “juice.” Just use the Creatine; what (consumable) liquid you put it in isn’t all that important TBH.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why not use Creatine on a cut? It can increase strength, which can help you preserve strength while cutting. It’s also been shown to help maintain performance during an overreaching period, and it can be argued that a cut can be similar to overreaching.

As for effects on cutting, it shouldn’t hinder any actual fat loss, you’ll just remain a few pounds heavier as opposed to dropping the intracellular (good) water from Creatine. OP isn’t planning on stepping on stage from how much weight he says he wants to lose, so I don’t see a slight water retention being an issue really.
Right, why?

I used creatine all the way up to show day of my bb show. Weird how ppl think creatine should be stopped.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
It was a joke about a nickname for steroids being “juice.” Just use the Creatine; what (consumable) liquid you put it in isn’t all that important TBH.
Haha oh okay. I gotcha.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t use creatine because of bloating. Foods that has creatine is better for me.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I agree...the 'don't mix creatine with orange juice' is not the current thinking. I still like grape juice though, lol.