Phosphatidylserine

size

Awards
  • Established
Phosphatidylserine (PS) is thought to be an effective supplement in lowering cortisol levels. Following info presents 2 sides.

Some info suggest that soy based PS is not effective in humans. The PS studies that have shown PS to be effective in humans was PS made from cow brains. However, PS is no longer animal based.

Here is some info:
"Phosphatidylserine, or PS for short, is a member of a class of chemical compounds known as phospholipids. PS is an essential component in all our cells; specifically, it is a major component of the cell membrane. The cell membrane is a kind of "skin" that surrounds living cells. Besides keeping cells intact, this membrane performs vital functions such as moving nutrients into cells and pumping waste products out of them. PS plays an important role in many of these functions.

Good evidence suggests that PS can help declining mental function and depression in the elderly, and it is widely used for this purpose in Italy, Scandinavia, and other parts of Europe. PS has also been marketed as a "brain booster" for people of all ages, said to sharpen memory and increase thinking ability. However, the evidence to support this use is contradictory.

Recently, PS has been marketed as a sports supplement, said to help bodybuilders and power athletes develop larger and stronger muscles.

Note: There is one major caveat to keep in mind regarding studies of PS. Virtually all such studies used animal-source PS, a product that is no longer available. Currently available PS products are made from plant products and might not function identically (see Sources below).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources
Your body makes all the PS it needs. However, the only way to get a therapeutic dosage of PS is to take a supplement.

PS was originally manufactured from the brains of cows, and all the studies described here used this form. However, because animal brain cells can harbor viruses, that form is no longer available. Most PS today is made from soybeans or other plant sources.

There are reasons to expect that plant-source PS should function very similarly to PS made from cows' brains, and some animal studies suggest that it is indeed effective.1,5,43,45 However, in preliminary human trials, soy-based PS and cabbage-based PS failed to prove beneficial.7,46 The bottom line: at present, we do not know whether modern plant-source PS is actually effective."

Studies against PS:
7. Gindin J, et al. The effect of plant phosphatidylserine on age-associated memory impairment and mood in the functioning elderly. Rehovot, Israel. Geriatric Institute for Education and Research and Dept. of Geriatrics, Kaplan Hospital, 1995.

46. Sakai M, Yamatoya H, Kudo S. Pharmacological effects of phosphatidylserine enzymatically synthesized from soybean lecithin on brain functions in rodents. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 1996;42:47,54.

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
However,

"Weak evidence suggests that PS might decrease the release of the hormone cortisol after intense exercise.34 Among its many effects, cortisol acts to break down muscle tissue exactly the opposite of the effect desired by a strength athlete or bodybuilder. This double-blind, placebo-controlled study on 11 intensely trained athletes found that 800 mg of PS taken daily reduced the cortisol rise by 20% as compared with placebo.35 Another small study on 9 nonathletic males found that daily doses of 400 and 800 mg of PS reduced cortisol levels after exercise by 16% and 30%, respectively.36 Another study found that phosphatidylserine could relieve some overtraining symptoms, including muscle soreness, possibly due to effects on cortisol.37,39"

Studies:
35. Fahey TD, Pearl M. Hormonal effects of phosphatidylserine during 2 weeks of intense training. Abstract presented at: National Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine;June, 1998; Orlando, Fla

36. Monteleone P, Maj M, Beinat L, et al. Blunting by chronic phosphatidylserine administration of the stress-induced activation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in healthy men. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1992;42:385-388.

37. Monteleone P, Maj M, Beinat L, et al. Blunting by chronic phosphatidylserine administration of the stress-induced activation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in healthy men. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1992;42:385-388.

38. Fahey TD, Pearl M. The hormonal and perceptive effects of phosphatidylserine administration during two weeks of resistive exercise-induced overtraining. Biol Sport. 1998;15:135-144.

39. Monteleone P, Beinat L, Tanzillo C, et al. Effects of phosphatidylserine on the neuroendocrine response to physical stress in humans. Neuroendocrinology. 1990;52:243-248.

So my final opinion. Take PS anyway since it seems studies go both ways. It appears from studies 36-39 that they support the benefits of PS in athletes. It may be expensive but if taking 800mg daily suppresses cortisol levels then it is worth it, especially after a cycle. I have taken lower dosages of it and did not feel it was overly effective so if you choose to use make sure to use an adequite amount.

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've also gone the route of decreasing cortisol post cycle and stopped worrying about speeding up natural test levels (it will happen with Nolva anyway). I used FL7 with great success because:

1. Reduces cortisol

2. Very good nutrient partitioner

3. Increased thyroid output helping you with those extra cals post cycle.

This also would seem to help with eliminating cortisol, probably better than 7-Keto so maybe using both would be a very good 1-2 punch.

size

Awards
  • Established
Did you like FL7? So i am assunming you found it to be worthwhile supplement?

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I like it very much. They are basically the same thing except one is localized and the other systemic. I know they took FL7 off the market but Mike still has some available.

2cAnnons

Awards
GNC just discontinued there PS. It came in 1000mg and the elderly love the stuff. If hey ever start selling it i will pass along the cortisol
info.

good read :)

rpward210

Far Beyond Driven
Awards
GNC's PS was actually a 100 mg per. The other 900mg are other phospholipids. Typical GNC misleading labels...

Jay Mc

Awards
I used soy based PS at 1000mg per day. I used it on a 12 week bulking cycle. Probably the leanest I've ever bulked, stuff is just very expensive....

J

size

Awards
  • Established
I believe that ALL of the phosphatidylserine available today is soy based. If you know otherwise, I would love to get some.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
I believe that ALL of the phosphatidylserine available today is soy based. If you know otherwise, I would love to get some.
kinda looking for the brain based PS myself.
especially with the article on it having DHA

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
might be able to get it outside of the US, not legal here

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
what is the source of primordial's ps?