Kidney Health Question

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are some good options?

-I was reading about apple cider vinegar as a potential cleansing agent in the body.

-Sesamin/sesame oil claims to help

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Are you having any probs with your kidney presently?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you having any probs with your kidney presently?
Not that I know of ....no

I just like to hit a body organ every now and then to keep tabs on everything. My last blood test was perfect, just staying one step ahead.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trip my brotha.......Maintaining adequate fluid hydration and having your BUN/Creatinine checked every so often should be more than enough to assess for adequate renal function in a healthy individual.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Cranberry juice... the extract is a more common route for effectiveness, as it's much more potent. The extact juice can also be found at most supermarket stores, and definitly a health foods store. NP most likely has caps as well of the extract.

But yes, Sesamin oil is also another good alternative, and it's definitly a great "two-fer" with the fat loss benefits.

I think most anti-oxidants would be beneficial to the kidneys as well, as it takes the work load off and allows recooperation. Na-r-Ala FTW?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are some good options?
A multi-faceted strategy is required.

1) Regular creatinine blood test
2) Regular Cystatin-C tests (provide much better measure of kidney function)
3) B-Vitamins (especially B6, B12, and folate, to lower homocysteine levels, help prevent anemia, check atherosclerosis caused by high homocysteine levels, and so on)
4) Vitamin E to protect the kidney from free-radical damage
5) Curcumin for those on Adriamycin therapy. Adriamycin therapy inflicts damage on the kidney and curcumin is known to address this damage
6) Ginkgo biloba to address the kidney damage from an antibiotic such as Gentamicin that is known to increase blood creatinine and urea levels as well as inflict hearing loss. Ginkgo neutralizes these problems.
7) Others include Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Trimethylglycine (TMG), and Taurine.
8) Avoid high doses of Ibuprofen. High doses of this anti-inflammatory is known to cause kidney damage in some individuals.