Green Tea Powder (50% EGCG) Dosing for health benefits

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so i was thinking about picking up some green tea powder to add into my morning shake just for all of the health benefits associated to it.

How much should I be adding?

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
So 1 gram a day? That works, ill just split it up with my 2 shakes per day. @ $10 for 100grams that's a great deal.

Whats the best way to portion it out? Do i need a scale?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the most accurate is a scale, but 500mg give or take a couple isn't going to be hard. 1/4 tsp is 700mg, so if you can manage 2/3 of 1/4tsp, that should be about right.

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Well the most accurate is a scale, but 500mg give or take a couple isn't going to be hard. 1/4 tsp is 700mg, so if you can manage 2/3 of 1/4tsp, that should be about right.
Right on, thank you steve!

hsg1437

Awards
2 ?s:

2 ?s:

one) anyone know if there are benefits to taking breaks from green tea or its extracts?

two) there is a such thing as fluoridosis -bones harden and brittle from too much fluoride from tea. i was told by a doctor the other day that this will only be a concern if the tea was grown in specifically over-fluoridated soil. anyone know?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2 ?s:

one) anyone know if there are benefits to taking breaks from green tea or its extracts?

two) there is a such thing as fluoridosis -bones harden and brittle from too much fluoride from tea. i was told by a doctor the other day that this will only be a concern if the tea was grown in specifically over-fluoridated soil. anyone know?
First I've heard of this.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would assume that American's are in enough of a deficiency that this is not something that we need to worry about, especially at the recommended dose.

Not sure. I would be interested in hearing others opinions.

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
2 ?s:

I have heard about this before as well. Makes me wonder about megadosing something like GTE. I know it is usually extracted to a high percent of polyphenols, but what about the other smaller percent? And even if there is extra floride in there, would it be enough to cause damage?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
GTE is not as good for you as people think, green tea yes but the extract can be hard on the liver over time... simply put for long term health take breaks from the pills and drink the tea for periods at a time

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Will have to boil me some green tea bags and chill them in fridge and sip on them, after my green tea pills(this is GTE right?) run out.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Will have to boil me some green tea bags and chill them in fridge and sip on them, after my green tea pills(this is GTE right?) run out.
Yeah man, sorry to be so unscientific but I've read the abstracts in the past and long story short most versions of the extract comercially available are processed in a way that long term use can stress the liver. I am by no means making suggestions on length or dose as I can't remember all of that I just wanted to say I wouldn't take it for years on end without a break. The bags are a nice change from the pills, sure you wont get as much egcg from normal drinking but still... anyway, I doubt many people have the discipline to take anything day in and day out for years aside from protein powder

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember reading about green tea's hepatoxic effects a while back, but I thought I couldnt not find anything showing this to be true in humans? Maybe I'm confusing supps...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Question for Nutraplanet

I got the very first batch of GTE.

it is brown powder in a clear capsule

The new gte is green powder in white capsules

what is the difference?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smeton I believe it is a different supplier, and colours vary from batch to batch. The bulk powder is from one supplier, and the stuff in the caps is a diff. one I believe. New batch still has 50% EGCG

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i must say, the new labeling on your GTE is awesome!!!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Question for Nutraplanet

I got the very first batch of GTE.

it is brown powder in a clear capsule

The new gte is green powder in white capsules

what is the difference?

I had asked this same question quite some time ago. If you search in here you will find it. Dsade said the brown was much better. I don't remember what the reason was though. I figgured 50% is 50% regardless of the color.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, I must agree that they look very professional and also protect the pills. The 1000 count fish-oil bottles are the biggest pill bottles I've seen!
it is going to be awhile before i need to order one of those again but i would say that is a much better idea.

great work, reps to NP

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
I had asked this same question quite some time ago. If you search in here you will find it. Dsade said the brown was much better. I don't remember what the reason was though. I figgured 50% is 50% regardless of the color.
I also remember him saying that too about GTE. The Brown color was supposed to indicate that it was the "real deal" as far as polyphenol, catechin, and EGCG content is concerned.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also remember him saying that too about GTE. The Brown color was supposed to indicate that it was the "real deal" as far as polyphenol, catechin, and EGCG content is concerned.
i would assume NutraPlanet carries the 'realest of the deals'.

:)