Time to Contact Your Senators - Again!

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Please take 30 seconds and contact your rats in office

Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA

John McCain Files New Bill Attacking Your Access to Supplements

This Bill Would Repeal Key Sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act
Please Contact Your Senators Now to Tell Them Not to Co-sponsor This Exceptionally Bad Bill and Instead Help Us to Defeat It!

The Dietary Supplement Safety Act (DSSA) would repeal key sections of the Dietary Supplementnull Health and Education Act (DSHEA). It would give the FDA full discretion and power to compile a discreet list of supplements allowed to remain on the market while banning all others.

Everyone knows that the FDA is friendly to drug companies (which pay its bills and provide good revolving door jobs) and hostile to supplement companies. Under this bill, this same Agency could quite arbitrarily ban any supplement it wished or turn it over to drug companies to be developed as a drug and sold for multiples of its price as a supplement.

If McCain?s bill passes, we can look to Europe for a snapshot of what we may be in for: EFSA, the European Food Safety Authority, has sharply reduced the list of available supplements and is in process of reducing potencies to ridiculous levels, such as less beta carotene than can be found in half of a large carrot. Europeans already look to the US to obtain their dietary supplements. If this bill passes, where will we obtain ours?

Please take action immediately. Tell your senators NOT to co- sponsor the detrimental legislation and to do everything in their power to defeat it. Then forward this to your friends and family and ask then to do the same!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just proves, that regardless of political affiliation, everyone seems to love bigger government

mitbar

Awards
This figures, everyone needs to send messages.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122145061

if you scroll down Sldge wrote an already written letter all you have to do is copy and paste and send it..

I am trying to figure out where to send them.
You can either use the link I posted, which generates a letter and automatically sends it to your senators based on your address, or just do a search for whatever state you live in +senator. All will have their webpage with contact form and fax number.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Emailed and done!

MN better not support this BS

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mine is sent, got a reply from my congressman, totally automated of course

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would like to actually read McCain's bill, as plenty of times i've seen sites like that stretch the truth about what a bill contains, but this does concern me. Does anyone have a link to the actual bill?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, thats it, and as I sort of expected, it legally reads quite a bit differently than The Alliance For Natural Health would lead you to believe. It doesn't

give the FDA full discretion and power to compile a discreet list of supplements allowed to remain on the market while banning all others.
What it does is remove the current exemption for ingredients marketed before October 15, 1994 and replaces that exemption from the DSHEA rules with a list of specific items compiled by the FDA. As far as new ingredients

GENERAL.—A dietary supplement which contains a new dietary ingredient shall be deemed adulterated under section 402(f) unless there is a history of use or other evidence of safety establishing that the dietary ingredient when used under the conditions recommended or suggested in the labeling of the dietary supplement will reasonably be expected to be safe and, at least 75 days before being introduced or delivered for introduction into interstate commerce, the manufacturer or distributor of the dietary ingredient or dietary supplement provides the Secretary with information, including any citation to published articles, which is the basis on which the manufacturer or distributor has concluded that a dietary supplement containing such dietary ingredient will reasonably be expected to be safe.
Which is quite a bit different than requiring all new supplements to go through the FDA drug approval process.

I'm not saying that I agree with these (and the other in the bill) changes to the DSHEA, but I have no respect for groups like The Alliance For Natural Health who perpetually feel the deep need to lie about the content of laws and rules to get support for themselves against the government as part of some vast conspiracy theory.

I actually do like the stipulation in the bill that manufacturers of supplements would need to be registered with the FDA in terms of providing their addresses and all names under which they do business, its kind of hard to believe they don't need to be as it is.