Magnesium, how to increase

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I just had my hair analysis done.
Post #33
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77385-jansz-metabolic-analysis-2.html#post1390791

Magnesium=5(11-122) low
Calcium=219(192-1588) almost on the bottom
Ca/Mg=44(5-29) low

My serum blood test last year, I was within limits on both.
My RBC blood test is coming, will see net week.

My resting pulse is always over 70
used to be much less.

I take 500mg/day magnesium

Increased to 2000mg/day
all I got is a loose stools, will have to stop.

Any comments?

Other than low magnesium, what else is increasing pulse rate?
I am also getting cramps, sure low on magnesium.

I am adding more zinc.
Any other comments on my hair analysis?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what about using magnesium cream instead of oral? might not cause loose stool this way. I have the same problem when I go too high on my zma (zmk)

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I just had my hair analysis done.
Post #33
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77385-jansz-metabolic-analysis-2.html#post1390791

Magnesium=5(11-122) low
Calcium=219(192-1588) almost on the bottom
Ca/Mg=44(5-29) low

My serum blood test last year, I was within limits on both.
My RBC blood test is coming, will see net week.

My resting pulse is always over 70
used to be much less.

I take 500mg/day magnesium

Increased to 2000mg/day
all I got is a loose stools, will have to stop.

Any comments?

Other than low magnesium, what else is increasing pulse rate?
I am also getting cramps, sure low on magnesium.

I am adding more zinc.
Any other comments on my hair analysis?
Is there maybe another reason that your tissues may not uptake enough? Perhaps the serum looks normal, but you end up excreting most of it? I'm only guessing as I do not know enough on the subject.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Is there maybe another reason that your tissues may not uptake enough? Perhaps the serum looks normal, but you end up excreting most of it? I'm only guessing as I do not know enough on the subject.
This is exactly what I have in mind, another reasons.
I think I am taking plenty of supplements, just need to balance them.
How to balance?

I found this article,
Ca and Mg

have to try to understand it and see what applies to me.

so far:

copper, zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, selenium, chromium, manganese and vitamin B-5

I do not take any B5.

Hopefully I will have a better picture when my RBC mineral analysis report is in.
It is a part of NutrEval test that I shipped samples out for, last week.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
http://www.chfpatients.com/stew/minerals.htm#magnesium

Unfortunately, normal lab testing isn't much use. Since magnesium is found mainly in the cells, the blood magnesium level may be normal even when your body is really low.

cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, back aches, tension headaches and jaw pain. Also, one may experience chest tightness, like you can't take a deep breath. Sometimes a person sighs a lot.

The cheapest is probably magnesium oxide, but this form is not absorbed as well as some other forms. Other forms include chelated magnesium, magnesium glycinate, and magnesium aspartate. The prescription form of magnesium chloride - called Slow-mag - is best.

A therapeutic is usually between 400 and 800 mg daily of elemental magnesium

Doses of 1000mg per day are considered extremely safe

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
How's your thyoid? Hyperthyroid can cause magnesium loss. (Which is weird for me because it became more difficult for me to elevate my heart rate when I got my hypothyroid corrected.)

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
How's your thyoid? Hyperthyroid can cause magnesium loss. (Which is weird for me because it became more difficult for me to elevate my heart rate when I got my hypothyroid corrected.)
Week ago I have send out for
Comprehensive Thyroid Assessment
at Genova Diagnostics;
should be back next week.

I was little low on my FreeT3 and am taking 2.25grains Armour Thyroid
Body temp 36.4C - 36.5C

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
liquid mineral absorbs WAY better...just a thought for your mineral supps.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
as i am sure you are aware, there are many liquid multi vitamin/minerals out there (NOW most sites have), but for just liquid mineral w.o. vitamin...GNC is the only one I know of. Also the minerals you listed are better taken with extra vit-D for absorbtion.

EDIT: forgot to mention that if you try a liquid vit/min, for the love of god put it in a shot of oj. IMO it makes glutamine taste like pixie sticks! the mineral is not so bad.

Last edited:
OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
What form of mag do you take??

Check the form of magnesium you are taking. That is the key to absorption. You probably take the mass produced mag oxide.

Most kids with CF (like mine) are low in mag so there has been much research done in CF circles regarding it's supplementation. It has been found that the best absorbed magnesium is magnesium glycinate. This form of magnesium is NOT the typical form in most supplements (mag oxide).

Magnesium Taurate is another very well absorped form of mag.

Magnesium glycinate (and taurate) are harder to find and a little more expensive but I can tell you from experience they work better.

We use Carlson's Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (100% mag glycinate).

Mo250

Awards
I second oldgator's option. make sure its an Albion chelated mineral.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like JanSz has his hands on some chelated stuff because he posted
"The cheapest is probably magnesium oxide, but this form is not absorbed as well as some other forms. Other forms include chelated magnesium, magnesium glycinate, and magnesium aspartate. The prescription form of magnesium chloride - called Slow-mag - is best."

Hopefully your Mg levels are improving J

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
I second oldgator's option. make sure its an Albion chelated mineral.
Good point.

Regarding "Albion chelation", this is from optimiumnutrition.com:

Chelated minerals are minerals, such as zinc, manganese, magnesium, copper, iron, or calcium that are surrounded by amino acids, which are bonded in a stable form to the mineral. In the body's natural process of digestion, amino acids are used to naturally chelate minerals and help transport them across the intestinal wall. If you think of a mineral as being essentially an insoluble rock, the process of chelation helps to convert the mineral and hide it in an amino acid coating that makes it usable by the body. This essentially makes it bioavailable. According to Albion Laboratories, "Bioavailability is the amount of a substance that is absorbed and available for metabolic use by the body once it is ingested."

WHY IS SUPPLEMENTATION WITH MINERALS IMPORTANT?

It is true we live in a wealthy nation that should be able to afford the best nutrition for its inhabitants. However, it is perplexing that people still use this fact to support the theory that vitamin or mineral deficiencies are rare...especially when one of the most common diseases linked to Westernization, osteoporosis, comes from Calcium deficiency!! Additionally, there are many more illnesses that are common in the Western world that have nutritional links supported by solid science. One example of a mineral deficiency that affects our health is Zinc deficiency. It has been well documented, and recently publicized, that even a minor deficiency in Zinc inhibits healthy immune function. It is clear that we should be radically changing our diets to provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals. At the very least, we should supplement with forms that are bioavailable.

Deficiencies or imbalances in certain minerals can affect the following body systems:

Immune System: Cu, Zn, Fe, Se
Energy Production: Mg, P, Mn
Hormone System: Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, Mg, K
Vitamin Production: Co
Blood Production: Cu, Fe
Enzyme Systems: Zn, Cu, K, Mn, Mg, Fe, Ca, Mo
Skeletal System: Ca, Mg, Zn, Mn, B, P
Reproduction: P, Cu, K, Mn, Zn, Mg

Adapted from Albion Laboratories

THE "OTHER HALF" OF MINERALS

Much debate exists over the form that a mineral comes in, or as Albion Laboratories has called it, the "other half" (or ligand) of a mineral. A ligand is the amino acid to which minerals are often bound to in the chelating process. It may seem strange that so much controversy is involved with this "other half" when the benefit we are mostly interested in is from the mineral! The controversy, it turns out, is important because the "other half" of a mineral can influence its effectiveness, including factors such as bioavailability, tolerability, safety, retention in the tissue, and its chemical interactions. Here are some of the questions that can be encountered when looking at the mineral form:

Is glycine or picolinate a better ligand for the chelation of minerals?
Glycine is used in the Albion Laboratories manufacturing process of creating a chelated mineral. The question of what is the best ligand for a mineral is a common question, as picolinates are used often by companies claiming to make chelated minerals, whereas Albion uses glycine. The first issue in addressing this question is how each of these ligands affect the bioavailability of the mineral. Because glycine is metabolized by the body after it is absorbed, and the picolinate is not metabolized after absorption, the glycine would perform better in metabolism. The fact that glycine is used nutritionally, and picolinate is treated as a waste product for the body is also important

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I posted a study here some time ago that showed that blood levels of Mg become optimal after a long soak in Epsom salt.

I can attest to its efficacy.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thank you guys.
Thank you OldGator.

My defficiency in Magnesium is identified via hair analysis.
Blood serum shows Mg to be within limits.
I am still waiting for NutrEval results.

Atm I just increased my existing Mg pills, they are from LEF.
All kind of Mg are listed there but magnesium oxide is listed first (bad).

When I get my results I will asses my mineral needs.
I also take from LEF their trace minerals.

So now I will be looking for replacement of these two items or better yet my overal element needs.

The new candidates are:

Chelated Magnesium
Supplement Facts
Carlson Laboratories - Chelated Magnesium

and

Chelated Mineral Compleet™
Supplement Facts
Carlson Laboratories - Chelated Mineral Compleet

=======================================================================

I have some excess in toxic elements.
What to do?

1# Nothing
2# Intravenous chelation (sort of recomended by my doc, but he never insist on anything) (3 - 4) once weekly sessions.
3# Supository (Detoxamin.com), daily for about two months. Info also given by my doc.

brwnsuga

Awards
This is really interesting. I recently added NOW Calcium/Magnesium citrate powder to my morning and post workout shake due muscular cramping.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Level Teaspoons
Servings Per Container: 50
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) 200 IU 50%
Calcium (from Calcium Citrate) 400 mg 40%
Magnesium (from Magnesium Citrate) 400 mg 100%