Question about "not a hernia yet"

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, my question basically is this: I was squatting today (just got back into things after a couple months off) and noticed a weird sensation in my abdominal.. I've talked to the doc about a bump I have in my belly button (I have an innie but it's starting to become and outie) he said not to worry and that he wouldn't exactly call it a hernia, didn't want to do anything about it and recommended I lost about 10-15 pounds. Now I've been out of lifting for over a year fully so I've put on some weight, and that's when this bump started. So my question is, could visceral fat cause discomfort while squatting? Last time I was really into lifting I was 186 lbs at 5'6 with a 365x3 squat and now I'm 220 with around a 225 max lol. Any help would be appreciated.

Ase_james

Awards
Hey guys, my question basically is this: I was squatting today (just got back into things after a couple months off) and noticed a weird sensation in my abdominal.. I've talked to the doc about a bump I have in my belly button (I have an innie but it's starting to become and outie) he said not to worry and that he wouldn't exactly call it a hernia, didn't want to do anything about it and recommended I lost about 10-15 pounds. Now I've been out of lifting for over a year fully so I've put on some weight, and that's when this bump started. So my question is, could visceral fat cause discomfort while squatting? Last time I was really into lifting I was 186 lbs at 5'6 with a 365x3 squat and now I'm 220 with around a 225 max lol. Any help would be appreciated.
I had a very small hernia above my belly button a few years ago that would pop out and id push it back. Had surgery, amd it was the wrong move. Now i have another right next to it...
If it is a tiny little thing that pops out, it could be that.

I have also noticed the sometimes i get an involuntary comtracrion in my abs, like one side stays flexed for a little bit. If its that just stretch out its totally normal.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply James, yea I was told surgery is never good unless deemed absolutely necessary when it comes to hernias. But yea I do get the contraction thing you're talking about, especially if I haven't worked abs in a little. But this felt more like pressure against my abdominal wall, I was wondering if it's cuz I'm not used to doing squats and being fat at the same time lol. After a couple sets it started to go away

Ase_james

Awards
Its very likely that could just be a breathing issue. Thatll happen when you get fat and out of shape too. Work your way in and focus on breathing. Otherwise your core is working too hard.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Didn't think of that James, could very well be that I don't have my movements/breathing on par yet and am not used to being out of shape and doing movements like this

Physiqz

Awards
That is very interesting. Have you confirmed the bulge? I know there are sports hernias which don't show a visible bulge and can be common for athletes and lifters