I really need some insights here...

juandelabarra

Awards
So I've been having problems after deadlifting. I seem to have some problem in the glute medius or some area around it. For lack of better terms I have put in a picture of my friend Tony who has the same issue.

The pain in the highlighted area feels more like tension/stifness and its worse when sitting and bending forward at the hip. To give another idea if a do a deep squat it hurts but it also feels like stretching a sore muscle.

Attachments

DotW

DotW

Awards
Have you changed anything about your deadlift, like increasing the weight or the number of sets or reps?

juandelabarra

Awards
I have video but no idea how to post it here. I was up to 315 singles but I was working my low back too much so I figured bad form. I then lowered the weight to 225 for sets of 5 while videotaping every time I deadlifted.

I almost sure (almost cause I'm a noob) that my form is good. Last week I took off a couple of days and It felt better but then I got to deadlift yesterday and here we go again. It's pissing me off!
Thanks for the reply btw.

juandelabarra

Awards
To really answer your question, on heavy deadlift day I go for triples or doubles. On light deadlift day I pull from a deficit but with about 60% of my 1RPM

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post the video link but remove the .com

DotW

DotW

Awards
Without seeing your form, I'm gonna guess that you're either rounding your lower back or not fully resetting between reps.
When you go to lift, on every rep, you should be engaging your lats by attempting to bend the bar with your hands. That should force your lower back into the correct position. Keep in mind, that goes to sh*t if you don't take the half of a second to reset between each rep, if you're going heavy.

juandelabarra

Awards
I have to upload it to a website to put it here?

Maybe this serves as a clue yesterday after my 4th set of 3reps with 245lbs, I took a 2min break before my 5th set. I walk to the bar, setup, take a big belly breath and when I go to start the lift, its freaking stapled to ground. Its like my muscles won't fire.

juandelabarra

Awards
[video]https://youtu.be/7I47_onK5F8[/video]

Can you guys see the video?

juandelabarra

Awards
[video]https://youtu.be/A3jY3NaMd04[/video]

This is another set and another point of view. Also this is from my previous session last week. Its still 245lbs but doubles. On grip I vary with each rep.

DotW

DotW

Awards
Your back looks set when you begin, but when you start coming up, it looks like you round your lower back.

Try reducing your weight and focus on keeping your back straight.

DotW

DotW

Awards
And in regards to your muscles not firing, sounds like nerves to me. I have the same issue with my overhead press. I've been trying to press 205lbs without bouncing for about three weeks. I can hit 185 for two and 200 for one, but it seems like that extra 5lbs gets in my head and I can only get a half rep. It's truly frustrating.

juandelabarra

Awards
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm thinking of starting fresh with 135lb in sets of 5 and adding 5lbs weekly a la SS. What kind of cue would you suggest so that I don't round my back?

Yesterday's session really messed me up, I can't touch my toes, the farthest I can bend right now is parallel to the floor. I'm gonna take some muscle relaxers and anti inflamation medication plus the day off to see if I get better.

juandelabarra

Awards
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm thinking of starting fresh with 135lb in sets of 5 and adding 5lbs weekly a la SS. What kind of cue would you suggest so that I don't round my back?

Yesterday's session really messed me up, I can't touch my toes, the farthest I can bend right now is parallel to the floor. I'm gonna take some muscle relaxers and anti inflamation medication plus the day off to see if I get better.

juandelabarra

Awards
Until recently my hips also shot up first on back squats. What kind of weakness would this suggest?

My routine is 95%compound movements and I work abs very other day

DotW

DotW

Awards
I don't think it's a weakness, as much as it is that you're jerking to initiate the movement. Starting with 135 is a good idea. Just concentrate on keeping your lats engaged, in a slow and controlled movement.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Describe the pain please.
Also, do you feel it in the daily life? Which exact movements perpetuate the pain?

juandelabarra

Awards
First, a lot of thanks to the responses. A have probably watched my clips a thousand times and It took me a while to understand the hips shooting up part and the lack of tightness on the lats and I'm working on that.

About the pain, its weird cause its uncomfortable only at some degrees of bending at the waist. I feel the most pain in the glute medius, the right one even more so.

The pain itself is like a sharp shooting pain. It disappears after warming up but as soon as I cool down its there.

I've had some nasty falls on my behind at high speed(I used to downhill skateboard) and messed up some disc but deadlifting never gave any trouble up until the 315lbs so I figured that I went too heavy (for me) too soon and messed up my form.

juandelabarra

Awards
Oh and for daily life the pain its not limiting or anything. It did bother somewhat with forward thrusting while standing up (if you know what I mean) and if I sit for too long when I stand up its almost like I have to rectifyy back, like put something in place.